NIC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NIC Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board Harry H. Herington
Harry H. Herington

Pros
  • Why, because this commitment to work-life balance is considered (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, great work/life balance, awesome corporate amenities, leading edge technical competencies (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no opportunities to move up the ladder (in 5 reviews)

• If you take a position at NIC your work-life balance is 100% work (in 5 reviews)

"Best Job I've Had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

I'm a professional. Been in the business awhile and have seen my fair share of poorly run companies. NIC is not one of those. They are mostly well managed, stay ahead of the game, aren't trying to do everything all at once, they genuinely care about their employees, decent pay, great work/life balance, and the applications we build are actually useful to the masses.

Cons

Little to no advancement opportunities. My manager's expectation is that everyone on the team should be doing everyone's job. So if a developer is out, QA should be able to do development. Or if QA is behind, then everyone should pitch in to help out. In theory it is a great idea but it also means that you will NEVER exceed expectations. So if you fill in for 3 roles for an extended period of time, you just meet expectations when it comes time for reviews. Also, company in the past has offered certification training but has not offered it in recent years.

Advice to Management

Offer more cross role/service training. For the young people that want to try something new, give them the opportunity. You may hire someone as a UX designer but after years of working on that, they may want to switch over to a BA. This will keep the younger generation interested in staying longer and will build up their experience/knowledge in other departments.

Apr 20, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We are glad to hear you enjoy being a part of the NIC family. As our CEO says, we are truly a place where you can make a difference in people’s lives. It sounds like you are on a dedicated team that ... More

2. "Incredible culture and great leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great work/life balance, awesome corporate amenities, leading edge technical competencies.

Cons

Long drive from the east side of Town

Apr 16, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is encouraging to know that all the things you have highlighted make a difference in your work experience at NIC. The benefit premiums being paid for by the ... More

"Not stated"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

Working for Harry Herrington is awesome.

Cons

Lack of execution on VMV.

Advice to Management

Modernize

Apr 10, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you so much for taking the time to review NIC. We are pleased to hear that working for our CEO has been an “awesome” experience for you. Keeping up with the latest technology is something we ... More

"Going Downhill"

Former Employee - Marketing in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Madison, WI

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employer paid health insurance, great company community, interesting and challenging projects, free snacks and soda, monthly team lunch and birthday celebrations

Cons

When I started at NIC I had the opportunity to go to a company wide conference and meet other employees in other states. I felt blessed to be apart of the community and make those connections. Because of those connections, I was given interesting projects to work on, some in other states. The CEO would always tell those that attended the conference that he wanted to meet them personally. NIC has grown over the last few years and this attitude towards employees has changed. NIC has threatened to take away the conference because of the lack of value, high price tag and “too many people were showing up.” By doing this they have taken away a huge networking tool for the company.

The quality of the projects are not always great, nor does NIC assign talented individuals that have the background to do the best work. If you look at any IOS or Android App in either one of those stores that NIC has developed the ratings are terrible. There are a few exceptions of course, but NIC does not invest in hiring the best or promoting the best results.

There are several projects that I worked on that have just been shoved out the door that are definitely not the best work. Poor project management, development, quality assurance and design are at fault. Management does not seem to care about these results and is checked out during the development process.

Freedom and trust was missing from our Wisconsin portal. Early on employees had the ability to choose their own schedule, work from home occasionally, and also had time to do professional continuing training on the side of their workload. All of that is gone with a strict 8am-5pm schedule. No exceptions. Management needs to realize that individuals need this freedom and it is invading their family and personal time.

Requests for supplies, conferences and time off are usually ignored or not approved. You will usually have to email your supervisor several times to finally get an answer. Or you’ll just give up and live with what you have.

If you work there for under 3 years the vacation and personal time you get off is basically nothing, further challenging the personal lives of employees. Project assignments can be stressful and combine that with no/little time off employees are miserable. There is one bank for grievance time and sick pay, no additional days for that time that is needed when losing a family member, sick kids, etc. If you take a position at NIC your work-life balance is 100% work. Some projects require weekends and nights - no comp time is given for this time making some weeks well over 40 hours. This extra time is also not acknowledged by management or appreciated.

Pay is well below average, yearly raises are very small no matter how much extra work and responsibilities you take on. Little to no opportunities to move up the ladder.

Because good work isn’t rewarded employees do not work to their full potential, and even slack off 90% of the day. There are some absolutely toxic people in the office that NIC has not let go even though they are fully aware of those employees and how they act towards others and their teams.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and trusting to employees, offer a flexible schedule, respect personal time, answer your emails, be more compassionate, promote employees, make them feel respected and appreciated

Feb 28, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

I’m happy to hear that you enjoy the company culture, including building community at our internal conferences. We agree that it provides a great opportunity to bring people together. We strive to ... More

"Depends on State"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, nice office location, free parking, mostly good life balance. Snacks. The compnay has lots of opportunities for promotions if you are willing to move.

Cons

Everything depends on the portal you're at. The portal I worked at started rapidly deteriorating due to inexperienced leadership who don't coordinate with (or apparently even talk to) each other. While the company promotes from within, new leaders don't seem to get training or mentoring, so they tend to just go on doing the jobs that got them promoted instead of their new responsibilities. THe portal was becoming one where people don't even bother to ask management to do or handle anything because they never respond. Disappointing after a month or two.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to how employees at ground level feel, hire more minorities and women esp to executive level, and when you promote people help them to grow into their new roles. Pay better to keep good people

Feb 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Maintaining a strong company culture and providing career development are important to us, which is why we often promote from within. We provide mentoring and training to ... More

7. "Java Developer"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at NIC (More than a year)

Pros

NIC is a great place to work

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say about NIC

8. "NIC is a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work environment is comfortable, good management, room for growth

Cons

Slow working environment, department communication can be poor,

"Could be good for entry-level?"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Olathe, KS

Pros

They had decent snacks. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

My experience was very much micromanaged. I believe it stemmed from a good portion of the employees being entry level. A lot of the "juniors" were Centriq "grads" so that explains a lot. Then again, the KU CS/CE kids were pretty disappointing as well.

When the bulk of the developers get excited over basic jQuery selectors, you know something is off.

Finally (I skipped a lot), the CEO...yikes

Advice to Management

I understand the work is basic but you should still staff competent employees.

You constantly preached reaching an "Amazon, Google, Facebook" level...how about aspiring to "average" first!

"Maturity and Growth Needed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

The health insurance plan and coverage for family members can be helpful for some employees but not all will see a cost savings.

Cons

Portal lacks maturity in practices
    Lacking professionalism
    Not following processes and best practices in place
    Strong favoritism to select employees
    Lacking career path growth
    Limited customer diversity
    No clear expectations, change daily

Advice to Management

Corporate should really look at what is happening at the portals and determine if they are following best practices.

"Out of Control"

Former Employee - Director in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

The chairs are comfortable and there is a food court nearby.

Cons

I have worked at multiple NIC state portals and this one is by far the most unprofessional and ill-prepared. Amazingly high turnover. Within only 3 years there have been 4 General Managers, 3 Director of Operations (maybe 4, they kept changing the title) 2 Directors of Technology, 2 Creative Directors, 2 Directors of Project management, and had an almost entire staff replacement. They even removed the entire Quality Assurance staff which tells you what they think of quality.

Basically, your chances of lasting there over two years is about 35%.Their project mangers are useless. No yime management or actual deadlines established within any sense of reality. This causes the staff to work multiple hours of overtime that goes unpaid. The developers never get the credit but the awful PM who caused this disaster gets promoted for driving dev/design staff to the edge instead of doing their jobs and planning the project properly.

Advice to Management

If the trend continues, you will probably be removed or fired within a year of employment so any advice is useless.