NIC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
NIC Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board Harry H. Herington
Harry H. Herington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Why, because this commitment to work-life balance is considered (in 16 reviews)

• Great benefits, great work/life balance, awesome corporate amenities, leading edge technical competencies (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no opportunities to move up the ladder (in 6 reviews)

• If you take a position at NIC your work-life balance is 100% work (in 5 reviews)

"Strong on Culture and Work-Life Balance Weak on Career Development"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing work-life balance with a fun atmosphere. Can gain some great experience managing small and large IT projects.

Cons

Employees are not rewarded for their performance, everyone gets pretty much the same raise year over year. The only way to quickly move up (depending on the portal you are in) is to move around the country

Oct 19, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We are so glad to hear that work is fun, your life is balanced, and you are getting some robust experience. Thank you for your feedback on upward mobility. There are new initiatives and training... More

"Keep caring about your employees!"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NIC really cares about its people. It's the only company I have ever worked for where you could actually talk to the CEO on a regular basis. I worked there for two years and talked to him numerous times.

Work life balance is great and the managers (that I worked for, anyways) don't micromanage. They trust their employees to get their work done and lean on them for recommendations and advice.

Lots of snacks and drinks to consume and stay fueled, there's even a pool table, HTC Vive and golf simulator in the break room!

Cons

This isn't really a con, but MAKE SURE you let your superiors know what your intentions are. If you want to climb the ladder let it be known. If a position opens up don't automatically assume that you will be considered for it. Make sure you communicate! You will get the chance to prove yourself but you have to make it known that you are interested.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your employees and continue to trust them. The people here are VERY good at what they do. I have nothing but praise for this company and I wish them the best!

Sep 15, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review and your time with our Company. You have touched on some of the most important values we share throughout the NIC family. We are pleased to hear that you experienced... More

"Engineer, Open Source Team"

Current Employee - Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NIC is a forward leaning company with great momentum and high potential.

The corporate culture is 'employee-centered' and it is my pleasure to work for NIC.

I loved working for NIC, and recommend the company and its employees.

Cons

None. This is a progressive company with a great future.

Advice to Management

Keep the family feeling which makes NIC a great place to work.
    - Tom Zillig

Jul 25, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience at NIC. We’re pleased to receive your positive response and recommendation. Everyone here at NIC makes up the corporate culture, and we’re proud that our... More

"Development"

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are genuine and friendly. The atmosphere is seriously focused on improving government and citizen interactions, while keeping it as laid back as possible given the work. Management in Development has been some of the best I have ever worked under and our DoD backs us up.
    Mid level management tends to listen, even when they may not have the same PoV, they still take your words into consideration.
    There is great foresight and planning for years in advance, and thought currents may change in political waters, the upper team has guidance plans for navigation.
    We are kept in the know and given opportunity to voice our thought and ask questions once a quarter at all-hands meetings. This is really helpful for building a strong foundation of trust in the team guiding the ship.

Cons

Employees needs and attentions are not generally focused on an employee. While there is training and improvement plans. Everyone is treated to the same actions to "Avoid favoritism". As such, in the past, when certain team members have abused privileges, disciplines were passed down to everyone rather than handing the issue with the select few privilege abusers.

Advice to Management

We are not all the same, we do not all preform the same. Communication should trump co-location, and consideration for an employees family should be taken into consideration when weighing policies. Don't simply treat everyone like the few who abuse privileges. Remember to take on each person's productivity on a case by case basis and build metrics on when they are optimal, so that they may be happier and preform their roles with higher quality and efficiency.

Jul 5, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is great to hear that your work environment is one of trust and open communication. We are glad to know that your experience with NIC includes being engaged in... More

5. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

Nice time and work balance!

Cons

Sometimes it is tough to get projects through with some state partners.

Aug 16, 2017 – Senior Communications Manager

It is great to hear you are experiencing work-life balance. That is a priceless benefit that impacts your health, your relationships, and your attitude towards work. Thank you for your continued... More

"Senior Quality Assurance Engineer at Texas NIC"

Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at NIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Useful software products that are interesting to work on
    2. carefully coordinated agile teams
    3. cooperative collaboration between DEV and QA
    4. Health and dental benefit premiums paid at 100% for you and all of your dependents

Cons

1. The Austin, TX office has completely outgrown their 1-floor work space. As a result, most of the over 150 employees either sit in "bullpens" or else sit at long conference room tables within conference rooms. This type of seating arrangement can be very distracting. Many employees regularly wear headphones and listen to music, to drown out the chatter.

2. The senior level manager of the office is obnoxious, has a personally insulting style sense of humor, hinging on inappropriate behavior. Example: an unknown co-worker once burned some food in the break room's toaster oven. A strong burnt smell filled the tiny office area. In response, the senior level manager sent a company-wide email, to wit: "I know what you did. When I find you, I will kill you".

3. The team that I worked on has one employee who harasses others and has a track record for inappropriate behavior, and has received multiple complaints by other employees over a span of years. Management is untrained with how to manage it, or else has no desire to manage it. Its a distraction and a harassment problem.

4. There is no real sense of job security. This business gets contracts with the state. These contracts can be bid on by competitors, per state law. The business could go up in smoke at any time.

After 3 months of being on staff full-time, I chose to resign, due to the aforementioned issues.

Advice to Management

1. HR should manage the senior level manager and other staff, to ensure their conduct with other employees is consistently professional
    2. Provide adequate work spaces for your employees

Jul 18, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you found the products interesting and you enjoyed a collaborative work relationship with the development team. We are sorry you found your work space to... More

"UI/UX Developer"

Former Employee - UI/User Experience Developer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - UI/User Experience Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative, forward-thinking development is highly encouraged. There are many open projects to work on which require a different type of skillset for each application.

Cons

Not enough resources to support the workload. Though innovation is encouraged, it is sometimes an expectation that is not known by the developer. With the limited resources given for each application, there is little to no time during work hours to be innovative and create new things.

Advice to Management

Be more approachable to your employees. Express your expectations rather than have them and keep that information to yourself.

Jun 12, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We are glad you experienced NIC as innovative and appreciated the encouragement you received towards your development. We hope your career offers many opportunities for growth. Thank you for your... More

8. "Good company to work for, great benefits"

Pros

The company has great benefits. They care about employees and giving back to the community. Relaxed environment to work in.

Cons

Occasionally there were times that required long work hours however that is to be expected with the field I was working in.

May 31, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you embrace NIC’s value of service to others. Our benefit offerings are an intentional foundation for a healthy lifestyle, as wellness is core to the... More

"Down Hill Fast"

Current Employee - Developer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some good people in the past couple years. Benefits are decent, but I guess some NIC benefits don't go with each portal. Our office location within our city is great, paid parking, standing desks but its a cube farm. Not much else.

Cons

This isn't complaint review, but the problems I've seen over the past few years gotten much worse with the new Sr. management about a year ago. I guess experiences vary per NIC location but our Madison office is a mess. We hear Sr. Management preaching about "root cause," They are the root cause. Big time micromanagement, total lack of trust with employees, intimidation, definitely in the gray area with practices and sharing information to "partners", not transparent and truthful to employees and partners, Sr. managers throwing employees & middle managers under the bus to cover their own tail and middle managers have zero decision making authority. Everything has to be run through the top of the pyramid. You own the problem and will be penalized for problems, but Sr. management often creates the problems because they won't let people do their jobs and don't trust employees or partners. Big bureaucracy and hierarchy for an office of less than 40 staff. More managers were added. Almost 1/2 the staff are "managers" but they basically create documentation and follow poorly defined "process" that shift with the GM. Our portal is BIG on process and documenting to the point where it is crippling. Not agile like they pretend to be. There is more process than in a large corporation. There are some very negative and unprofessional people who have been there a long time, but they are protected by the Sr. management no matter what these negative employees seem to do to others. I see Sr managers have lots of closed door meetings, private calendar meetings, secrecy with partners and they are "documenting". One rule you learn right away, if you aren't at your desk, you aren't working. This is not a positive place to work and we are worried. There are many talented people who are on their way out because of the Sr. management, but Sr. management will just say they were bad apples anyway or they say things "every organization has problems".

Advice to Management

1) HR - do your job and look into the Sr. Managment. This a serious problem & gets worse all the time. Especially in the past year or two
    2) HR - Don't try to toss the employees who come forward under the bus covering for the Sr. management. People don't trust that corporate NIC will actually do what is right and some are scared to come forward
    3) Get actual training for Sr. Management. Dont keep it secret because it is shameful. As other Glass Door reviews have said about this portal the Sr. managment in Madisons is in way over their heads and doing their old jobs and micromanaging everybody. It is suffocating.
    4) Low salaries and the most raise you get is 3% no matter how much you work or your results
    5) HR - write a sincere response. Some of the canned responses to reviews highlight the larger problem with NIC
    6) Don't tell NIC employees to get on GlassDoor and fluff up reviews or get out of NIC

Jun 26, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We would be grateful for the opportunity to talk to you directly. Please call HR at 913-754-7080.

10. "Corporate Engineering Resource"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

- Paid insurance benefit, and it's good coverage
    - 40% work remote, if desired
    - Workload includes time budget for personal projects.

Cons

- Split Dev and Ops teams. I would prefer more integration.
    - Slow uptake on new technologies.

Advice to Management

Push for unification of technical resources, look for opportunities to leverage these resources in new ways.

May 16, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for being a valued member of Team NIC! NIC is continuously evaluating technologies, processes, and industry trends to improve our delivery model and employee experience... More