Netspend Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Harris

Pros
  • Corporate culture promotes good work / life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, in the heart of downtown Austin location with great city views, nice benefit options, challenging work, innovative culture (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Management and upper management see a lot of promotions while neglecting the masses (in 5 reviews)

• stressful environment but i was working in the call center (in 4 reviews)

1. "Developer"

Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Netspend full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Current developer at Netspend. Have been here for 5 years and love the team. Management is very supportive and gives me all the support they can. Pretty laid-back environment and really smart people.
    Excellent mission that helps people that can't get a bank account. CEO is really cool and is very ethical.

Cons

Some red-tape to deal with given it's a financial company. The IT operations and information security teams can be hard to work with and make it hard to go as fast as we'd like.

Advice to Management

Devops!

"Avoid this company. Worked here 2.75 years and the environment and culture was slowly destroyed by TSYS."

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Netspend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The cons far overshadow any Pros left here.

Pay rate was near the scale average.
    If you're in management, you are more likely to get a promotion.

Cons

Management and upper management see a lot of promotions while neglecting the masses. Saw my manager and their director get three promotions in 2.5 years while people under them got none. They hired new replacements to fill the gaps once they advanced. Leaving reports under new management constantly.

A relaxed environment turned to a stressful rule based environment.

Advice to Management

You're already bought into the TSYS culture and changes; no advice left for you.

"Avoid this company like the plauge"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Netspend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some Team Building exercises on occasion

Cons

Mid and upper level mangement is the worst I've seen in 15 years of Software Development. Everyone that works there has only been there less than 3-6 months. The first day I started, was told that developers only stay there about 2 weeks, because is a bunch of website re-skins. This company is a predatory lender that preys on the lower income bracket of customers and charges them exuburent fees. I sent email to H.R. To say that I needed to go to the hospital over the weekend and they said that would be my last day at NetSpend = discrimination. This company has left such a nasty taste in my mouth I'm moving out of Austin.

Advice to Management

Overhaul your entire mid to higher level mangement. Don't throw lower level employees under the bus. Quit setting this place up as a mill hiring new batch of employees every 90 days and firing

"Bad first impression"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Netspend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were great as were the people in other departments I interacted with. The perks weren't bad they have an office downtown.

Cons

HR and management was unorganized, providing incorrect information about position and expectations. Also there was a lack of support and miscommunication about expectations for the role.

Advice to Management

Ensure role expectations are established prior to hiring and communicate this initially to employees to make sure everyone is on the same page. Also follow up HR to make sure they aren't driving away interested candidates with a first impression of incompetence and misalignment between departments.

6. "Solid company with great dev team"

Former Employee - Development Team Member in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Development Team Member in Alameda, CA

I worked at Netspend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Development team leadership is strong and promotes growth
    -Compensation and perks are good. They reward good work.
    -Office location in downtown Austin.
    -Most people in company are team players and willing to help.

Cons

-As the company has grown, sometimes the fun culture can be lost periods of time, as people push through priorities.

Advice to Management

-Keep innovating and providing more tools and features to the underbanked.
    -Keep rewarding your top performers as you have done to retain talent.

"Unprofessional / Lack of Direction"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Netspend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Netspend has a fun / relaxed culture. They try to do fun things for their employees. They also give back to the community.

Cons

Leadership has no direction and does not communicate with it's teams well. Some members of leadership do not seem to care about their employees and there are no development discussions and very little opportunity for advancement.
    Some internal teams are very unprofessional and make many errors.
    Seems to be an overall "laziness" where many people are not accountable for doing quality work.

Advice to Management

Focus on training for your leaders and hold them accountable.

"Account Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

NetSpend is a great company! I have worked there for over 3years. Internal promotions are accessible if you are determined to move up. The company culture is a plus, its a very casual Austin feel company, that works to be a part of the Austin community through events such as SXSW and various Community Outreach.

Cons

seems to be spread thin, shortage of developers ends up putting a halt or delay on business, new oversight from partner company buyout has had minimal effects.

9. "Administrative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Netspend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, and the vibe is always positive.

Cons

Downtown location can be a headache sometimes with traffic during special events.

"Growing company with a great culture"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Netspend (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture is excellent; great coworkers, casual environment. The industry is rapidly growing and Netspend strives to be innovative to stay top of the market. Still has the start up vibe, and provides a challenging environment that allows you to get involved with all aspects of the business.

Cons

Resources are limited causing a lot of frustration when wanting to develop new enhancements or products. Departments work in silos and do not collaborate enough to share best practices that can be shared across the different programs. Sales team consistently over promises and sells products and functionality we don't have, leaving account managers to figure out how to obtain/establish what was promised.

Advice to Management

Work to break down the silos between departments to accelerate growth and process improvement.

"Expect to work and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Netspend full-time

Pros

I remember being bored at my previous job. Kind of wishing the clock was moving. Feeling like I had so much more I could be doing if ONLY someone would let me.
    I have been here a few years and every day, week, month, year I am given opportunities to build this place and make it better. Leadership is eager to see people step up and look interested in moving up and up. In general people get direct coaching and when they make a consistent effort it is rewarded.
    I thought I loved my last company, but this one blows every big call center I have ever been at out of the water. They care about their people. Even when they are letting me know what to improve I feel valued.

Cons

Some times more structure is needed. Some leaders are not as focused as others. Easy enough to fix though, just talk to a different one. It is still a call center but if you can be flexible, adapt to changes and keep a decent attitude, it could be great.

Advice to Management

Look around. Reward the people who we work for because it would be good if they stayed. Reward successes more in general somehow.