OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Pros
  • Best work/life balance I've experienced in the Bay Area (in 21 reviews)

• A lot of companies boast "great culture" but OpenTable really delivers (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 10 reviews)

• The company is very far from being competitive from other bay area tech companies (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Grab a seat at the table!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at OpenTable for several years now, and it has been a real privilege to be a part of the growth this company has achieved in that time. Beyond our amazing products for restaurants and diners, what makes OpenTable special is the people. We are absolutely a company of foodies who work hard and eat well -- often at the same time. There's always someone to grab lunch with, terrific healthful snacks for employees, and treats from colleagues' latest travels on Steakman's (Yes, we have a bar in our marketing department!). There's a new focus on professional development and there are always opportunities to broaden your skill set if you're willing to take on new challenges. Management puts a true emphasis on work-life balance, and the company regularly celebrates team and individual accomplishments. Volunteering is important as the company values giving back -- and those outings are typically followed by great food and drink! There's a great deal of transparency around company goals, which I appreciate. And, as a diner and former restaurant professional, I really love the service and the product so it's incredibly cool to work for a brand you actually believe in.

Cons

The growth we've achieved has definitely been accompanied by changes, and they haven't always been effortless to navigate -- when you staff up dramatically, for example, it can be hard to establish solid career paths. However, we have a super charged-up CEO who is really dialed in to those challenges and a solid P+C team, so I think we're moving in an exciting direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to actively listen to team members.

"Fun Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back work office, great culture, like-minded coworkers, great incentives and decent commission. Lots of vacation, can work from home sometimes too!

Cons

Not much room for growth, office cliques- very catty, if you don't fit in with culture you will not do well

Advice to Management

More business and career development. Director of the office needs some work- always biased and one sided.

"Disappointed"

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Upper-management personnel were very accessible.

Cons

High turnover; questionable job security

Advice to Management

Try and improve your sales turnover

"Not the best, not the worst"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Best work/life balance I've experienced in the Bay Area
    *Relatively interesting industry
    *Fantastically innovative marketing department
    *Great happy hours/parties
    *Most employees are delightful

Cons

*Extremely political. The person with the loudest voice usually gets their way
    *No career progresion or training opportunities
    *Low pay relative to the bay area

Advice to Management

*Start investing in your employees. There are some seriously talented employees just itching for career progression and education. Take advantage of your own talent pool before looking outwards.
    *Also, organize a company mission and encourage employees to rally behind it. It seems like everyone has their own agenda and solely focuses on fulfilling that. Change that.

"Don't believe all the FAKE positive reviews!"

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office, employees and location.

Cons

Seriously, HR needs to stop cohercing people to write positive reviews so that our GD average increases! Don't believe the positive reviews guys! OpenTable WAS a fun place, and rewarding place to work but that's been decimated 2 years ago. The leaders of the company are clueless and there's no strong leadership to take this company to the next level, given the strong competition in the space.

Advice to Management

HR partners listen to the employees and take action! Everyone is really unhappy so please take action!

7. "Good people, fun place"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opentable provides decent pay, a young workforce, and a fun atmosphere. Things move fast, drinks are served, parties are fun, and management works hard to keep a start-up kind of feel within a much bigger/older organization.

Cons

Suffers from some of the growing pains that come with growing quickly, and needing to transition into a larger company. Lots of freedom existed in how to approach problems with technology, but now there is a bit of a mess to clean up. This is a light criticism, as this is being managed pretty well.

Advice to Management

Don't push too hard with the new until you have cleaned up the infrastructure you need to support it.

8. "Great company to learn from smart engineers and work on very cutting edge tech"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very open to adopting new tech. No issues with politics. Not clique-ish. Smart engineers everywhere. Well paying for Los Angeles . Great office.

Cons

A lot of legacy tech still exists which needs to be maintained. Management doesn't look to internal talent for offering career advancement and promoting people to management they look for outside hires.

Advice to Management

Promote from within.

"Short Sighted"

Former Employee - Automation Engineer in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Automation Engineer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the engineers are quite enjoyable to work with. All talented and helpful. I am still friends with many of the people I worked with while there.

OT was also great for continual learning. Supporting the team with books and conferences.

Cons

The business structure and hierarchy is larger than needed and rarely hears things from the bottom.

OT also chose to close a branch office (the one I worked at) with no real investigation into the work that we did. Then proceeded to wait until the last week of our employment to actually care about transition. (At which point they panicked)

The conglomerate (Priceline Group owns OpenTable, each with their own CEOs), didn't work. It might be a failure to communicate, but having two CEOs on top of a board and shareholders felt like it stifled innovation, but having too many layers of approval and blame caused nothing to happen.

Advice to Management

Don't:
    Close an office right before the holidays
    Close an office without a plan to transition services when no one accepts relocation

Do:
    Remember that not everyone wants to live in SF
    Connect with teams, even if they are not around the corner

"Great folks, but overall mediocre"

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

The best part about OpenTable is the company culture and the people. Your colleagues are approachable and a delight to work with on a day-to-day basis. The company also throws fun happy hours and parties to allow you to get to know your colleagues and enjoy each other's company.

The company's products and future vision is much more practical and well-defined under Christa's leadership.

Cons

The company is very cheap. The systems are severely outdated, which creates a lot of manual work. Efficiency is not a priority and never discussed. The common complaints to why the company does not have the basic necessities is "it's not in the budget." I imagine this is because the Priceline Group examines every single penny the company is spending.

Growth opportunities and promotions are determined closely linked to how close you are with your manager rather than merit. Despite making repeated cases for a promotion or a growth plan, your manager holds the key to whether you get to move up or have the support to foster growth in your role. This is quite a contradictory vision given that the People & Culture team emphasizes how much employee growth matters, but the team does absolutely nothing to enforce this. The company also needs to invest in mandatory manager training (again - cheap!) to establish some sort of uniformity. A lot of folks have moved into manager or team lead positions who have not managed teams before because of high turnover rates the company experienced in 2014 and 2015.

Compensation and benefits are severely below market. My salary is 50%+ higher at my new company for the same role. The company is very far from being competitive from other bay area tech companies.

Advice to Management

Invest more money internally! If your employees are happy and are growing in their roles, more they will invest in the company, and the more the company will prosper.

"OpenTable"

Pros

You get to work on a number of different applications, servers and routers. They were also rolling out an iPad application that is taking over the client server application

Cons

Hours were not the best for me, mostly late night work. Most of the people who you deal with are non technical so you have to hold everyones hand in getting their issues dealt with.