OpenTable Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (Boston, MA) in September 2018.

Interview

Standard interview with HR, then 4 additional interviews with various Management. Standard questions, small role plays. Very informative. Combination of phone interviews and video interviews. All my questions were answered. Had offer 15 minutes after last interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial call from recruiter, then technical phone screen, then in person 4-5 people over 4-5 hours. Culture is apparently changing but still a lot of negativity in the air, most of the interviewers complained about something related to their job. A tour of the office told me everything I needed to know. They emailed the next day with a decline.

Interview Questions

• Typical corporate questions, what are you passionate about? and other college-level CS questions (implement a binary search).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OpenTable.

Interview

First interview was an on-campus interview where I solved a coding question. Next was a 4 hour interview onsite consisting of 4 different interviews. Some of these had me solve coding questions, while some involved talking about the company and designing systems related to it. Good experience, but I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Given a n x n grid of letters, find all words that can be created by starting at one letter and moving left/right/up/down. Similar to the game Boggle.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was allowed to skip the phone interview and come directly for an on-site interview. The technical interview went great, no issues with whiteboarding code, ended up with extra time to ask questions of the interviewing engineers. Their internal culture seems solid, although slowly transitioning from process-oriented old enterprise stack to a more agile, startup-y process. The nontechnical culture interviews with the Director of Engineering and the PM went really well. I was expecting a slam-dunk, so I was surprised when the recruiter contacted me and said they wanted me to do a take-home coding exercise to clear up some issues around an area of professional growth I'd disclosed in the interview.

It struck me as super unprofessional to schedule a full day for an interview, only to be told that they needed more information. At every other company they do take-home exercises before on-site interviews. If engineers have questions about something said during an on-site interview, then the appropriate time to ask about it is... during the interview! Please don't wait and make a candidate do additional work after a full day of interviewing.

I didn't feel like I'd be professionally respected if my hiring was such a squeaker that it required a post-onsite take-home assignment, so I just put in a few hours' of work and submitted it -- wasn't surprised when they rejected me, just insulted that they'd put someone through so much extra effort when we could have resolved these issues with a conversation during the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• "What's an area or skill where you feel weak or could learn more?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OpenTable.

Interview

So far, I've had an on campus interview and have a Google Hangout interview coming up. I'm still interviewing with them, so I'm guessing if I pass the Google Hangout interview, there'll be some an on site interview. The Google Hangout interview is 2 hours and 15 minutes long with 3 different engineers. When I talked to them on campus, I told them that I liked front end dev, but not sure if they're interviewing me for front end dev or just software dev.

Interview Questions

• On campus: Given an array of stock prices, and the date of the current stock price, return the maximum profit that can be made.   Answer Question
    • Given an integer N, determine if N is part of the Fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OpenTable.

Interview

Emailed back and forth to schedule a phone interview. Got a call from a senior Data Scientist that asked me a few related algorithm question. By the end the questions were complicated enough whre it became difficult to describe over the phone. I was able to answer all questions (though I required a hint for one) and he then congratulated me on surviving the ksum question.

Interview Questions

• First question: You have an array of numbers. Find all pairs that add up to K.
      Second question: You have an array of numbers. Find all three-element groups that add up to K.
      Third question: You have an array of numbers. Find all four-element groups that add up to K.

For all these question I had to provide a running time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled a phone call within a few days. The phone call was non-technical and I can't really remember what the conversation was about, but about a week after that I had a technical phone interview with their lead iOS developer. This was fairly easy and consisted of both abstract CS-theory and applied programming questions and lasted about an hour. They got back to me pretty quickly and scheduled an on-site interview about a week and a half after the phone interview. The on-site interview lasted from 2-6pm and consisted of 5 interviews of which 3 were technical and 2 were non-technical. OpenTable was kind enough to space out the technical interviews in between the non-technical interviews, and generally everyone was approachable and kind. The interview process was over all very pleasant and the technical questions weren't very difficult. All of them were done on a whiteboard as well, so there was no worry about small syntax errors and other associated stumbling blocks. Three days after the on-site interview, I heard back from them and did not receive an offer. Although they initially did not mention why, I asked them for feedback and they were quick to respond. In the end they chose to go with someone who had more exprience. 10/10 would interview again

Interview Questions

• (iOS-specific) Implement UIKit's hitTest: withEvent: function.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at OpenTable in September 2015.

Interview

I dropped my resume at university's career fair table and they emailed me a day later for on campus interview. The whole interview was around an hour long. I first met an HR person who asked about logistics stuffs (any other interviews? with what company?) and an engineer who conducted a technical interview.

Interview Questions

• What are you interested in? Why OpenTable? Ksum problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

6 rounds, mostly with engineers, 1 with VP of engineering. Overall process was very smooth. I felt interview experience was very similar to AirBnB except Airbnb's cultural round at the end. They also gave me a take home exercise which I enjoyed working on. I would rate it 5/5 on good quality questions and difficulty level. Keeping interviews difficult is very important to hire the best and keeping the culture good.

Interview Questions

• Standard algorithmic problems related to their business and real world, dynamic programming problems, N x N grid.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They pay well, better than industry standard I believe.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I had an initial call with the recruiter . Then a telephonic interview with a Sr engineer followed by coding exercise. Was invited onsite for a full day of interviews. Had 6 rounds of interviews along with lunch. Interviewed with 4 Sr Engineers, a Product Manager and a Sr Architect. Was invited for another round of onsite interviews after this which consisted of a pair coding exercise and an interview with the VP of Engineering

Interview Questions

• The questions were a bit tough compared to the normal ones. You need more than just basic data structure knowledge. But they were really specific to the position applied for and hence made a lot of sense.Plus all of the questions we real world problems being solved none of the text book questions like the other companies.   Answer Question