Pactera Reviews | Glassdoor

Pactera CEO Tiak Koon Loh
Tiak Koon Loh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Unclear if career path and low pay (in 12 reviews)

• Most holidays are not paid, lack of communication and no upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company good people"

Former Employee - Vice President in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Redmond, WA

I worked at Pactera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company atmosphere, smart people and the work was interesting and challenging

Cons

No business presence near home road warrior travel schedule.

2. "I will never recommend anyone to work at Pactera"

I worked at Pactera full-time

Pros

There is nothing positive about this company

Cons

Bad company , worst management And zero growth

Advice to Management

Stop being Racists

3. "Should work hard to become decent, not just to survive"

I worked at Pactera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

relatively flexible with the schedule

Cons

poor management, poor company culture, indecency facts, no job security at all.

Advice to Management

As a China based company, Pactera has its own way of doing business with indecency to strives all the effort on keeping the company survive in the US. The company does not care about the employees, nor the improvement of management. The company is talking about strategies to survive, or to sell itself to the next buyer. But unfortunately the most recent transferring of ownership showed that the despite the fact that management refused to agree, the company is consistently lose business and revenue, and it's shrinking vastly. I think the management team should really think to bring the "true" value to the company, which is, to respect employees, to reinforce company culture, and to establish an elite management team, rather than some airborne managers transferred from China. I think this is what is good for the long run, and is the best way to truly survive.

4. "Everything was just a mess"

I worked at Pactera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My in-office coworkers were (mostly) really lovely people who did their best to help me when upper management couldn't or wouldn't be there to assist me. I actually liked a lot of the work, was very good at it, and enjoyed being considered an expert in certain aspects of my job due to my relative seniority in the department. My work schedule was totally flexible and I could adjust as needed for traffic or other anomalies in a given day. When I had ongoing health issues one summer, I was allowed to take unpaid time to recover. I was promoted after only nine months and given what seemed at the time like a significant raise (more on that in the cons section), and I did gain experience in team management early in my career that I am grateful for. Most of my subordinates were wonderful people who I enjoyed working with and I am grateful for their patience despite my inexperience in management. I had decent health insurance, and was able to add my wife onto my benefits with no issues. I was able to work from home pretty much whenever I wanted, which was convenient. No one cared what I wore, so my wardrobe was extremely casual. Also, I got so good at my job that I was able to get work done while doing background reading and writing.

Cons

First of all, Google "Stevenson v. Pactera" - I was one of the team members affected by this incident, and while I appreciate the settlement check, I can't stress enough how shady it was to have us as 1099 contractors to avoid paying benefits. We were converted to W2 employees fairly soon after I was hired, but I know that some of the others had been there for many months before that happened. Also, I was originally stationed in a satellite office, and eventually when the team dwindled to a handful of people we were shoved into a tiny back room and expected to work despite ongoing loud noise from the team who took over our old office (the walls were thin). This back room was mostly windows, which meant that during the summer months it became almost unbearably hot, and we couldn't open the windows or have fans because the ambient noise would have affected our ability to do our jobs. I'm fairly sure I could have reported the company for inhumane working conditions or something similar (I was wearing a T-shirt and thin pants and still leaving the office drenched in sweat every day), but I was terrified of being fired and suspected nothing would be done even if I did say something.

Once I was promoted to a management position and moved to the main area office, I hoped things would improve, which in some ways they did. I received a small raise with the promotion...which I later found out was 70% of what the person who had previously held my position (a man) had been making, as well as hilariously under market rate and barely above minimum wage. I never got any more raises, even though I was (as mentioned) very good at my job and the only person in office who remembered several processes that had become outdated while I worked here (but which I was expected to remember and use if asked). When I asked for a raise and presented evidence that I was being severely underpaid, I was strung along for awhile and then told that no one in the company had received raises in the last year.

I also received no sick pay, vacation, or holiday pay. I continued to be listed in the system as a lower-level/contract employee and no one noticed despite my having been in a managerial position for a year and a half. No one ever bothered to explain to me how any of these worked, or whether I was in fact supposed to be getting them at all. I swear that once I entered in holiday hours and they were accepted, but I tried this on the last federal holiday before I left the company and was informed a few days later that I did not qualify for holiday pay and would have to remove those hours from the system. I have since been told that asking employees not to come in AND not to be paid for missing a federal holiday is unusual, especially for a full-time management position. On my last day, I waited until the end of the day to log my hours in the system and found myself totally locked out. (I believe this was resolved, as my final paycheck was the appropriate amount, but at the time it was distressing as I did work the entire day.)

I worked on either the in-office desktop computer, or a personal laptop that I purchased to use when I was working from home. At no point was I given a company laptop, and my repeated attempts to ask my managers for help acquiring one were shrugged off. I could have pushed harder for one, but by the time I realized that not having one was unusual (several months into my management position), I had begun to realize that almost no one in the office was interested in making sure I had the tools I needed. I also, somehow, was the only employee in the office who didn't get a proper badge - I may have been out sick that day but I continued to use the same keycard that I'd been given on my move-in day and no one ever bothered to check up on that. After the fact, one of my coworkers pointed out that without the official badge, I could easily have been locked out had my old keycard been disabled on a whim. Was there not a record of my keycard being “missing”? That seems like a ridiculous security risk to me.

Upper management was frequently either absent or difficult to reach – the person who was meant to be my "manager" was in-office maybe one day a week and didn't often respond to emails or messages. I had several other people who acted as managers to me, but while they did their best to help, they frequently left or were moved to another team within a few months, leaving me without guidance once again. I worked with overseas management more frequently, especially in the last year or so of my employment. I hold no grudges against them, but they had a tendency to prioritize ridiculous client demands and company policies over the reality of certain situations, and repeated many of the same talking points when I tried to push back. I was given zero management training and very little guidance and mostly left to my own devices in these respects. (Frankly, if my job had been taken by someone less conscientious, this department could have descended into chaos much sooner.)

I had repeated conflicts with several subordinates, in multiple cases receiving messages and emails with abusive language regarding both myself and the company. I never felt truly unsafe, but rarely was I given assistance in handling these issues. I always tried to argue in the best interests of my team, but was frequently overruled or ignored. I felt pressure both from the team to voice their concerns to upper management, and from upper management to deliver the (frequently) bad news about new policies or procedural changes. I did not get the sense that I had any real power at all in the situation.

My job required that I have a reasonably quiet environment; however, I was forced to move desks several times within a year and each time I found the ambient noise more disruptive to my work. At first I was placed in the same open office as a large team who would sometimes chat with each other and occasionally get rowdy, but were mostly quiet; I then moved to a smaller room where several employees had desk phones and were answering them multiple times a day. Finally, I ended up in the middle of another open office, at a desk that was very close to the employee break room, which had no door and no way of muffling the sound from within. Employees frequently went in there to play pool, chat, take phone calls, and even play video games throughout the workday. I understand some of these things will happen, but the noises from the video games and pool actively impeded my ability to do my job. It was literally the only room in the office without a door and I still don’t understand that architectural decision.

I became so stressed due to the low wages and absurd job expectations that I developed a variety of health issues in the last few months I worked there, including a stomach ulcer and ongoing chest pains caused by anxiety that lasted for several days. In the case of the latter, I was in such pain that I was unable to sleep properly and had to go to the ER in the middle of the night. I believe this job impacted my health significantly.

Advice to Management

I would suggest you actually think of your employees as people and not "resources," and try to make sure they have the tools they need to succeed. Like management training. And a laptop. And sick days.

5. "“good company”"

Current Employee - Analyst in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pactera full-time

Pros

Employees are treated well when compared to other companies. The benefits are decent with medical dental, etc. The package isn't spectacular but isn't bad either. They have a rec room for employees of the main office. So if you do your work and your project is in good shape, people can go to the rec room and play pool, ping pong or video games. I also see some of the older people bring their kids to the office when school gets out. It’s a relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

The company reimburses expenses that I accrue, which is fine most of the time. But this can make it difficult if expenses are large and you must wait until you get reimbursed. There is a cultural difference due to the number of Chinese and Indian people work there, but it’s nothing I would call a deal breaker.

Advice to Management

Maybe consider changing a few minor things to make the employee experience even better. But overall a good job.

"Bilingual Anatator"

Former Employee - Bilingual Annotator in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Bilingual Annotator in Redmond, WA

I worked at Pactera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people see a pros is that you are working as a contractor for Microsoft. People think that trough Pactera they can actually get to the Microsoft as a full-timers. Wrong. No one would hire you after trashy company as Pactera. I am wondering if they are still have contracts from Microsoft.

Cons

No benefits, Terrible HR (Chinese girls with bad english speaking skills, and no respect for you, as you are trash there). Bad Management.

7. "software engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Pactera (Less than a year)

Pros

In redmond, beautiful city, cheap stuff

Cons

the weather is a bit too humid

8. "not like this company"

I have been working at Pactera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

i cannot think any except flexible working schedule

Cons

very bad employee care from company

Apr 13, 2017

I am sorry that your experience at Pactera was not a good one. I will forward your comment to upper management. Thank you for your feedback. Employee care is important to us and we make it a... More

9. "software company"

Current Employee - SDET2 in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - SDET2 in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Pactera full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

sponsor for H1/L1, and green card for some talented engineers

Cons

low salary, and no employee care

Mar 27, 2017

Thanks for reviewing our company! Your feedback is important to us as we work to make Pactera a great place to work. Low salary is a tough one to improve as those decisions are influenced by a lot... More

10. "A flexible, connected, at times disorganized yet overall enjoyable company"

Former Employee - Relevancy Judge in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Relevancy Judge in Redmond, WA

I worked at Pactera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Flexible work hours
    -Generally no micro-management and decentralized task hierarchy
    -Generally friendly managers and HR staff
    -Administrative staff (including HR, accounting and payroll) are approachable
    -Clean, new and high-quality work facilities
    -Break room including pool table, ping pong table and Xbox One
    -Large number of social events within the company to encourage mingling and networking
    -Very advantageous healthcare benefits for W-2 full-time employees
    -Microsoft contracts include the following privileges:
              -Access to a Microsoft ORCA pass (all ORCA transit free of charge)
              -Access to Microsoft shuttles within the Microsoft complex free of charge
              -Access to the Microsoft cafeteria
              -Access to general Microsoft locations
              -Ability to work from, at times, the prestigious Microsoft HQ building in Bellevue

Cons

-The management (almost exclusively imported from China) may be at times disconnected from the employees, who are mostly locals
    -The management (almost exclusively imported from China) may at times have a language barrier with the employees who are mostly locals
    -From personal experience, almost all upper-level managers were overburdened with stringent work demands. Many such managers, including our own, eventually resigned in protest due to the amount of work and returned to China. The high level of turnover in management contributed to the general disorganization in the company itself
    -The management was generally disorganized, perhaps due to the above-mentioned high workload and demands. Some managers confided to me that they were receiving less than 4 hours of sleep per night having to deal with many requests from Beijing. This general disorganization meant that workers sometimes had to deal with conflicting information from different managers, including their project managers. This at times led to sanctions and write-ups against certain employees.
    -The hiring requirements as well as the pay grade for Relevancy Judges at Pactera were not very stringent, resulting in some interesting personalities being employed at our office. Although we had no issue being around and interacting with such employees at a personal level, the emotional instability that some of these employees suffered from caused tensions in the office to rise, especially with regards to perceived threats and paranoia. The Human Resources department rarely became involved with such incidents, leaving the responsibility to fall on the already-overworked managers.

Advice to Management

To summarize, my personal experience at Pactera Technologies was an overall positive one. I enjoyed the flexible working hours that allowed me to start working after everyone had arrived and stop working after everyone had left. I also enjoyed meeting and networking with employees from all over the company, including those above us in rank and pay-grade. Furthermore, I also greatly enjoyed the effort that was put into making sure the offices were top-notch, the equipment was top-of-the-line, that the decor was modern and that employees had access to sinks, paper towels, fresh water, and the like.

To improve the situation at Pactera, more local management should be hired. Furthermore, costs should be cut in the low-level management area, as there are (in my opinion) far too many managers and administrative employees for the number of non-management employees that are employed. A rework of the management structure and decentralization from Beijing could do wonders to this growing company.

Mar 27, 2017

Thank you for your detailed review. We appreciate your specific comments and suggestions. Pactera is a relatively new company (established in 2012), so we are still not at the point where we want... More