Pactera Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Pactera CEO Tiak Koon Loh
Tiak Koon Loh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I think the work-life balance here is probably the best part about working here (in 13 reviews)

• flexible working hours at Pactera (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay and limited growth opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• Most holidays are not paid, lack of communication and no upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company good people"

Former Employee - Vice President in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Redmond, WA

I worked at Pactera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company atmosphere, smart people and the work was interesting and challenging

Cons

No business presence near home road warrior travel schedule.

2. "System Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Pactera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

people are nice, easy to switch from different teams

Cons

lower salary and benefit comparing to big companies

3. "SDE"

I have been working at Pactera full-time

Pros

It's a formal software outsourcing company.

Cons

Salary and welfare aren't good.

4. "A Charade"

Current Employee - Test Operator in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Test Operator in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Pactera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Building has good amenities, work is exceptionally easy. Company funds monthly workplace celebrations.

Cons

Very poor management on the Technician level. There are a select few who work hard and are generally likeable, but the rest sit on their computer all day and give assistance only begrudgingly. There is a high level of incompetence in the Technician level. Several times I have been able to answer more technical questions as an Operator than the Technician was able. Essentially, a hierarchy based not on merit was established shortly after 2015 when the team was put together. Many of these people have horrible attitudes, are incompetent for the job (not even saying they are dumb, just simply not fit for the job), and resistant to doing any actual work. The management receives zero input from employees based on staffing, there is zero penalty for careless or lazy conduct (a few Technicians arrive late to work every single day with no consequences), and there is zero employee review. The company image is being tarnished by a few of these individuals to the point that our client has specifically named some of them.

This dynamic leads to those who have true talent being stuck at operator or low level technician level, where they are hindered from any real positive effect on the company, and the incompetent people filling the upper roles.

Advice to Management

Take real feedback from employees. Submit Technicians and Operators to quarterly or semi-annual review, to gather an accurate assessment of your talent. Bring in a higher level executive to assist the on-site management if necessary. Place the individuals who the client gives positive feedback in positions of influence, rather than leaving the higher level roles to those who are incompetent and tarnish our company image.

"One of the worst companies to work for"

Pros

Nothing i can think of

Cons

One of the worst companies to work for. Spent more than a year there and they absolutely don’t care for their employees.
    You will find a lot of discrimination if you are not from China. People talking in other languages in front of you including your manager. What is surprising is that they don’t care about their contractors as well. They only work with one major client and have no clue on what to do with the contractors when the contract period is about to end. No employee development programs or opportunities to learn anything new.
    Chaotic work environment with no processes and no regulation.Management turns a blind eye to suggestions.
    Join this company only as a last resort and keep looking for other opportunities.

Advice to Management

None....as they dont care to listen to any suggestions

Aug 28, 2017 – International Marketing Manager

Pactera is a multi ethnic, multi-lingual company. It is true that the employees of Chinese descent speak in Chinese with each other. We also have employees from Argentina, Mexico and Columbia... More

"Should work hard to become decent, not just to survive"

I worked at Pactera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

relatively flexible with the schedule

Cons

poor management, poor company culture, indecency facts, no job security at all.

Advice to Management

As a China based company, Pactera has its own way of doing business with indecency to strives all the effort on keeping the company survive in the US. The company does not care about the employees, nor the improvement of management. The company is talking about strategies to survive, or to sell itself to the next buyer. But unfortunately the most recent transferring of ownership showed that the despite the fact that management refused to agree, the company is consistently lose business and revenue, and it's shrinking vastly. I think the management team should really think to bring the "true" value to the company, which is, to respect employees, to reinforce company culture, and to establish an elite management team, rather than some airborne managers transferred from China. I think this is what is good for the long run, and is the best way to truly survive.

Jul 25, 2017 – International Marketing Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review Pactera. It is unfortunate that your experience with Pactera was not an entirely positive one. Your comment will be forwarded to upper management. We are... More

"Everything was just a mess"

I worked at Pactera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My in-office coworkers were (mostly) really lovely people who did their best to help me when upper management couldn't or wouldn't be there to assist me. I actually liked a lot of the work, was very good at it, and enjoyed being considered an expert in certain aspects of my job due to my relative seniority in the department. My work schedule was totally flexible and I could adjust as needed for traffic or other anomalies in a given day. When I had ongoing health issues one summer, I was allowed to take unpaid time to recover. I was promoted after only nine months and given what seemed at the time like a significant raise (more on that in the cons section), and I did gain experience in team management early in my career that I am grateful for. Most of my subordinates were wonderful people who I enjoyed working with and I am grateful for their patience despite my inexperience in management. I had decent health insurance, and was able to add my wife onto my benefits with no issues. I was able to work from home pretty much whenever I wanted, which was convenient. No one cared what I wore, so my wardrobe was extremely casual. Also, I got so good at my job that I was able to get work done while doing background reading and writing.

Cons

First of all, Google "Stevenson v. Pactera" - I was one of the team members affected by this incident, and while I appreciate the settlement check, I can't stress enough how shady it was to have us as 1099 contractors to avoid paying benefits. We were converted to W2 employees fairly soon after I was hired, but I know that some of the others had been there for many months before that happened. Also, I was originally stationed in a satellite office, and eventually when the team dwindled to a handful of people we were shoved into a tiny back room and expected to work despite ongoing loud noise from the team who took over our old office (the walls were thin). This back room was mostly windows, which meant that during the summer months it became almost unbearably hot, and we couldn't open the windows or have fans because the ambient noise would have affected our ability to do our jobs. I'm fairly sure I could have reported the company for inhumane working conditions or something similar (I was wearing a T-shirt and thin pants and still leaving the office drenched in sweat every day), but I was terrified of being fired and suspected nothing would be done even if I did say something.

Once I was promoted to a management position and moved to the main area office, I hoped things would improve, which in some ways they did. I received a small raise with the promotion...which I later found out was 70% of what the person who had previously held my position (a man) had been making, as well as hilariously under market rate and barely above minimum wage. I never got any more raises, even though I was (as mentioned) very good at my job and the only person in office who remembered several processes that had become outdated while I worked here (but which I was expected to remember and use if asked). When I asked for a raise and presented evidence that I was being severely underpaid, I was strung along for awhile and then told that no one in the company had received raises in the last year.

I also received no sick pay, vacation, or holiday pay. I continued to be listed in the system as a lower-level/contract employee and no one noticed despite my having been in a managerial position for a year and a half. No one ever bothered to explain to me how any of these worked, or whether I was in fact supposed to be getting them at all. I swear that once I entered in holiday hours and they were accepted, but I tried this on the last federal holiday before I left the company and was informed a few days later that I did not qualify for holiday pay and would have to remove those hours from the system. I have since been told that asking employees not to come in AND not to be paid for missing a federal holiday is unusual, especially for a full-time management position. On my last day, I waited until the end of the day to log my hours in the system and found myself totally locked out. (I believe this was resolved, as my final paycheck was the appropriate amount, but at the time it was distressing as I did work the entire day.)

I worked on either the in-office desktop computer, or a personal laptop that I purchased to use when I was working from home. At no point was I given a company laptop, and my repeated attempts to ask my managers for help acquiring one were shrugged off. I could have pushed harder for one, but by the time I realized that not having one was unusual (several months into my management position), I had begun to realize that almost no one in the office was interested in making sure I had the tools I needed. I also, somehow, was the only employee in the office who didn't get a proper badge - I may have been out sick that day but I continued to use the same keycard that I'd been given on my move-in day and no one ever bothered to check up on that. After the fact, one of my coworkers pointed out that without the official badge, I could easily have been locked out had my old keycard been disabled on a whim. Was there not a record of my keycard being “missing”? That seems like a ridiculous security risk to me.

Upper management was frequently either absent or difficult to reach – the person who was meant to be my "manager" was in-office maybe one day a week and didn't often respond to emails or messages. I had several other people who acted as managers to me, but while they did their best to help, they frequently left or were moved to another team within a few months, leaving me without guidance once again. I worked with overseas management more frequently, especially in the last year or so of my employment. I hold no grudges against them, but they had a tendency to prioritize ridiculous client demands and company policies over the reality of certain situations, and repeated many of the same talking points when I tried to push back. I was given zero management training and very little guidance and mostly left to my own devices in these respects. (Frankly, if my job had been taken by someone less conscientious, this department could have descended into chaos much sooner.)

I had repeated conflicts with several subordinates, in multiple cases receiving messages and emails with abusive language regarding both myself and the company. I never felt truly unsafe, but rarely was I given assistance in handling these issues. I always tried to argue in the best interests of my team, but was frequently overruled or ignored. I felt pressure both from the team to voice their concerns to upper management, and from upper management to deliver the (frequently) bad news about new policies or procedural changes. I did not get the sense that I had any real power at all in the situation.

My job required that I have a reasonably quiet environment; however, I was forced to move desks several times within a year and each time I found the ambient noise more disruptive to my work. At first I was placed in the same open office as a large team who would sometimes chat with each other and occasionally get rowdy, but were mostly quiet; I then moved to a smaller room where several employees had desk phones and were answering them multiple times a day. Finally, I ended up in the middle of another open office, at a desk that was very close to the employee break room, which had no door and no way of muffling the sound from within. Employees frequently went in there to play pool, chat, take phone calls, and even play video games throughout the workday. I understand some of these things will happen, but the noises from the video games and pool actively impeded my ability to do my job. It was literally the only room in the office without a door and I still don’t understand that architectural decision.

I became so stressed due to the low wages and absurd job expectations that I developed a variety of health issues in the last few months I worked there, including a stomach ulcer and ongoing chest pains caused by anxiety that lasted for several days. In the case of the latter, I was in such pain that I was unable to sleep properly and had to go to the ER in the middle of the night. I believe this job impacted my health significantly.

Advice to Management

I would suggest you actually think of your employees as people and not "resources," and try to make sure they have the tools they need to succeed. Like management training. And a laptop. And sick days.

"Bilingual Anatator"

Former Employee - Bilingual Annotator in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Bilingual Annotator in Redmond, WA

I worked at Pactera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people see a pros is that you are working as a contractor for Microsoft. People think that trough Pactera they can actually get to the Microsoft as a full-timers. Wrong. No one would hire you after trashy company as Pactera. I am wondering if they are still have contracts from Microsoft.

Cons

No benefits, Terrible HR (Chinese girls with bad english speaking skills, and no respect for you, as you are trash there). Bad Management.

9. "software engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Pactera (Less than a year)

Pros

In redmond, beautiful city, cheap stuff

Cons

the weather is a bit too humid

10. "not like this company"

I have been working at Pactera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

i cannot think any except flexible working schedule

Cons

very bad employee care from company

Apr 13, 2017

I am sorry that your experience at Pactera was not a good one. I will forward your comment to upper management. Thank you for your feedback.

Employee care is important to us and we make it a... More