Pampered Chef Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pampered Chef CEO Tracy Britt Cool
Tracy Britt Cool

Pros
  • cooking, fun, free products, and training (in 16 reviews)

• Great products which make it easier to sell (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Direct sales has exploded and sometimes it's challenging to turn people on to hosting because they are burnt out on direct sales in general (in 5 reviews)

• This company is going through a period of a lot of change (in 3 reviews)

"Changing for the better"

Current Employee - Marketing in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, authentic, passionate CEO; supportive manager who pushes our team to always improve; coworkers who I genuinely like and care about; work that's challenging; ability to affect change; opportunity and responsibility to directly contribute to key company goals; Berkshire Hathaway-owned; opportunities to take on projects outside of normal job scope; company and individuals departments often have events that allow coworkers to spend time together outside of work hours--whether at a volunteer event, happy hour event or other fun team bonding event; encouragement to attend conferences and participate in other development opportunities (paid for by company); consistent in-office development opportunities; ongoing anonymous surveying of coworkers to determine where and how the coworker experience can be improved--and subsequent action plans from officers to address areas for opportunity; most department heads open to flex hours for coworkers; discounted--and sometimes free--products (hey, it's a nice perk!); company has truly come a long way in a short time.

Cons

Consider improving the maternity leave to be a bit more competitive. Still some work to do to ensure company values are adhered to company-wide.

Advice to Management

I think the decisions that have been made over the last few years have been spot-on, even if they weren't "popular" with everyone in the company. Continue to find ways to reward and challenge high performers, and continue to offer career development programs. Ensure coworkers are accountable for upholding the company values.

Apr 17, 2017 – Chief People Officer

THANK YOU! We are thrilled to hear you are enjoying the changes we are making at PC. For the last year, our business momentum has been very positive and we are seeing the results of all our hard ... More

2. "All in what you make it"

Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Londonderry, NH
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Londonderry, NH

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products which make it easier to sell
    Website makes it easy to connect with customers
    The ability to have virtual parties is awesome if you make money at it!

Cons

Constant overwhelming contact from your director
    Costs quite a bit up front
    Cannot have a full time job and do this. There is just not enough time.

"Horrible, depressing place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Doris Christopher. The story behind how this company began and the woman who built PC into a thriving and successful business is inspiring.

Cons

The fact that the company Doris built isn't recognizable anymore. The current CEO is a bully who makes outrageous demands of coworkers. Management does not lead. Culture is broken and the atmosphere is wrought with unhappy, petty, backstabbing coworkers. The majority of employees are miserable. It's sad that a company that was once thriving when led by a woman who cared about her consultants and employees has now been put in the hands of someone who has no respect for her employees or the consultants who are this business. The nature of this business is people and creating a sense of community and showing gratitude, something the current CEO and her hand picked executive team just doesn't get. It's sad to see how far this company has fallen from where we once were.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO with someone who understands what makes people tick. She may be book smart, but she is totally lacking when it comes to human interaction and common sense. Bullying and impossible demands are not the way to turn things around.

May 30, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your post. We are disappointed you feel this way. We realize change isn’t right for everyone. We’ve begun the hard work of reinventing this company. That requires leadership and making ... More

4. "Independent Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - Consultant in Concord, NH

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Time flexibility, great perks, free product and bonuses, nice incentives

Cons

Limited training opportunities. Most training is online and self conducted.

Apr 17, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the post! Glad to hear you are enjoying the many perks that come with being a PC Consultant. We continue to work on our training, which is why we launched PC University last year ... More

5. "QA Consultant"

Current Employee - QA Consultant in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - QA Consultant in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional environment, career swings up

Cons

Nothing negative to say about the company

Advice to Management

NIL

6. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Clifton, PA
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Clifton, PA

I have been working at Pampered Chef (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very generous earning opportunity for anyone interested in flexible, home-based business.

Cons

have not experienced anything negative

"Unlimited Opportunities"

Current Employee - Director in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Interesting projects and ability to suggest and lead changes at all levels (not just top down direction)
    - Commitment to Professional Development
    - Support from co-workers and cross-team collaboration
    - Great business position to grow and be successful

Cons

- Vacation time and benefits isn't world-class but is reasonable
    - Given our aggressive goals and plans some days (and weeks) can be especially hectic and stressful

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate on a regular basis. Monthly in-person co-worker meetings, weekly newsletters and regular department meetings are helpful to keep everyone engaged.

Nov 17, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We have made a lot of progress in the past year and so happy to hear you are enjoying the changes! We are focused on retaining and engaging our coworkers and are always looking at ways to remain ... More

"M"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great products, great coworkers

Cons

Management keeps changing, no consideration of your workload

Advice to Management

Give breathing room to your coworkers.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

I have held numerous positions at Pampered Chef and the earlier years were great. When Doris Christopher was completely in charge she knew exactly how to treat employees and it showed. Everyone loved working there. Change in systems, management, and internal layout has taken this once booming company to a sinking ship. Nearly all incentives that were once in place have been removed. Employees use to receive new products, but that was taken away. This made it worthwhile when the company couldn’t afford raises to the employees. At least you were receiving some awesome beautiful products. During the holidays, Doris use to give employees gift cards for food to help families with the holidays. That was taken away. The company is losing sales because of poor technology choices and hiring the wrong upper management and the employees are left to suffer. There was a common saying heard a lot when I worked there. “If it weren’t for the Consultant’s we wouldn’t have a job”. Okay maybe that is true, but if there were no employees at the Home Office the Consultant’s wouldn’t be able to do their jobs. Pampered Chef tries to sell the message of family, togetherness, and making things easier. However, this is something it does not have eternally. I guess for pros I would have to say some of the products, but not all of them.

Cons

Over worked employees, rude nasty mean supervisors and management, no raises, no training, stressful work environment. Pampered Chef has a training department that is there to get rid of you if you do not perform to their expectations. It is NOT a training department. Lots of great dedicated employees have been let go because the training department is set up as a firing department. Often you are told how not to do something and never given directions on how to do something. An example, don’t say this or don’t do that. How about giving positive constructive feedback. To boost morale in the call center the training department treats employees like preschool students. If you are the type of working that likes to be given balloons and plastic keys or have your name on a star hung on the wall, then this place is for you. The rewarding system they have makes those who don’t get a balloon at their desk feel excluded and shameful. It essentially comes down to a person’s opinion on whether your call was good or not. If for any reason the “training” team does not like you. They will purposely fail your calls or give you poor scores so you are fired. If you are a hard worker you won’t go as far in this company as someone who knows how to suck up to management. This speaks for any department. Throughout many departments work is heavy and employees are over worked. You will get very little to no training within a position. Nor will you receive much direction from Management. However, it is still expected of you to do your job even if no one gave you any training on how to do that job. Fasten your seatbelts it is a bumpy ride and if you can’t weather the storm they get rid of you. Lots of great employees with many skills and years have been let go because of poor management. One more thing, be cautious of the good reviews on this site. Management has required employees to go on and give good reviews.

Advice to Management

Pampered Chef a word of advice go back to your roots if you want to turn the place around. Here is an example of an incentive you could easily bring back. Give employees sample products. If I receive a Food Chopper (just using this as an example), and I use it and really like the Food Chopper. I will more than likely buy the product for friends and family, and who knows, maybe someone will host a show. Resulting in sales for Pampered Chef. Provide a positive work environment which encourages a place where employees can be open about what drives and motivates them. Take time to listen to employees concerns and do not punish them for being honest about the work environment.

Nov 26, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We admit that Pampered Chef has undergone a tremendous amount of change. We are working hard to reinvent the company so we are relevant for the next 35 years. We believe we've put the right strategy ... More

"Numbers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of food, on site gym, updated workspace

Cons

Directors and Chief Officers only care about numbers. Employees are EXPECTED to work long hours even if they're salary and there is no job security. I received no warnings before they let me go. NONE. They will use you and toss you to the side. Fake smiles, and false hope.

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees. Listen to them. Work with them. They're not cattle.

Nov 26, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We're sorry you felt this way. Respect is one of our core values, and we work hard to treat everyone fairly and with dignity. We are focused on reinventing Pampered Chef so it is relevant for the ... More