Paychex Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Totally Amazing!"

Current Employee - PEO Payroll Supervisor in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - PEO Payroll Supervisor in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, amazing culture, wonderful people! If you are looking to find a new career this is your place.

Cons

There are always going to be things that you don't particularly care for, But I must say the pros WAY out shine any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to find great talent and cultivate great workforce and products!

Paychex Response

Apr 5, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We agree that the people make Paychex a special place to work.

2. "Territory Representative"

I worked at Paychex full-time

Pros

Great pay, flexibility to design own schedule, Ceo is very approachable

Cons

No facial hair which is a little outdated in current times

"UGH!"

Former Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Besides the ultimate number on my W2, I cant say there was much else to be thankful for.

Cons

Poor management, clouded company vision, bad hiring practices, HORRIFYING base salary...and those were the highlights of the last year.
    Year over year, sales expectations raised without guidance; base compensation or frankly, the infrastructure to support it. The' best' Paychex reps are the C-team, the kids who just get hit by the ball to get on base. If you are a true Player, you are way too qualified for this job. If you are smart/good/talented sales person, stay far far away.

Advice to Management

You spent almost 40 years building a world class organization. It took you less than 5 to tear it apart. You drove out the passionate, knowledgeable, loyal, qualified people; and took whoever was left. Change for the sake of change with no strategy behind it has been your Achilles. A quest for 3B is not a mission statement--you'd be well served to ask yourself why the 'good' people originally came and why few of them are left.

4. "Sigh, looking for something else."

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours, medical, dental, 401k benefits.

Cons

Call center environment and escalation after escalation! The position of a Payroll Specialist is more than keying payroll and the pay does not align so you get what you pay for. There are constant errors and not enough help because of call ins so the escalations are never ending! Departments do not work together and most is put back on the payroll specialists who are overworked.

Advice to Management

Look at the big picture to solve the issues, your employees should be paid higher and you will get quality people. Way too much is placed on your specialists.

"401k Sales Organization"

Former Employee - 401k SALES in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - 401k SALES in Chicago, IL

I worked at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will work with some really great people that are rank and file employees.

Cons

Expect low base salary and a quota plan that is unrealistic and not based in market realities, but rather based on aggressive growth numbers to satisfy wall street and shareholders. Think of the poster child for corporate and wall street greed. VPs and officers earn gobs of money while everyone else is under paid for their role in the industry. Senior management in 401k has conflicts of interest with family working for vendor partners, side deals etc. and employs punitive management if you do not direct business to those partners. For a company that prides itself on ethics they have elected to promote people with a record of inappropriate relationships with employees, and fishing from the company dock occurs routinely. The company sales leadership is micro managing the employee base and morale is the lowest I have ever seen it. A childish culture shaping initiative that acts as a facade for poor leadership and over management. Essentially, all rank and file and front line management of employees should follow culture shaping, but it doesn't apply at the Senior management and Executive management levels.

Advice to Management

Create account ownership opportunities for operations and sales whereby they are paid to retain a book of business. Without accountability (yeah not what you promote in culture shaping) the employees will not take ownership of their book of accounts. Crack down on side deals and senior leadership from placing their family as employees into vendor companies to enrich themselves, while punishing employees for not using that vendor because of an issue with their own conflict of interest.

6. "Sales consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training. There are 4 tiers to the training process. 1st you study the products and services. 2nd you go to Rochester for 2 weeks for in-depth sales training. 3rd you are in the field with tenured reps and beginning to manage a territory. Lastly you go back to Rochester for completion of training.

Cons

Hunter mentality. There are some generated leads, but there is a lot of cold calling involved to bring in new business.

Advice to Management

There's been a lot of changes recently with internal operations and go to market strategy. Seems to be getting a lot more micromanaged.

"Small business sales consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Paychex has a great position in the market with enough flexibility in our technology to have the upper hand in negotiations about 90 % of the time. Well rounded corporate training and ongoing training online. New products to sell and a constantly evolving platform in which upper management is not afraid of taking a risk on implementing. You have a lot of freedom to succeed and create new referral channels if you're committed and creative enough. Compensation definitely rewards those who can find a way to succeed highly. Circle achievement starts at about 120k a year which is very attainable. If you're disciplined, you can definitely manage a great work life balance.

Cons

Some recent bad hires recently in both management and sales staff. It's a sales organization and small business sales department has an inclination to hire new college grads that have very little experience in both sales and life. These are mostly the reps that will complain about everything and are first to blame others. The harsh reality is that if you're not succeeding here it hardly ever has to do with your "coworkers". I have seen many times more often then not that those employees kicking and screaming on the way out go on to have just as bad experience or another sub par performance at their next jobs. So I guess my main gripe would be the lack of quality hires recently. It's really easy getting trapped in negativity when a few reps are determined to justify their poor experiences by exaggerating their seemingly unfortunate circumstances.

Advice to Management

17' was a challenge in the marketplace but 18' is looking much better as a result of some adjustments made in comp plans and job roles. Implementation experience is something that is currently dictated by operations that is not incentivized as much as sales to ensure a positive experience. Client onboarding needs to be handled differently.

"How this place is still rated so well is beyond me..."

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent health insurance and 401(k) matching. Allowed to work from home if you work for the "right" manager. One paid volunteer day per year.

Cons

Shady management and HR practices. Downsizing occurs and is rarely, if ever, in the media. Employees are switched back and fourth between exempt and non-exempt frequently for the same job title and role because HR doesn't know what they're doing or what you're doing as an employee. For an HR and payroll company, that's just sad. If you're on FMLA or have ADA accommodations more than a year or two, be ready for your manager and HR to do everything they possibly can do to get you to quit. I have no idea in the world how this company is rated one of the most ethical companies by Ethisphere magazine year after year because it is the most single unethical company I ever worked for (and I worked there for years). This company is going down the tubes. I would not recommend even applying here. It was great at one time. Not anymore. Not even a shadow of what it once used to be. Sad.

Advice to Management

Maybe shadow some real managers at other companies and see how its done, then figure out if you really want to be a manager or not for more than just the pay check and RSUs.

"Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transition in company
    laid back environment
    Bonus

Cons

vacation accrual is low 3.66

"Major Market Sales"

Current Employee - MMS Sales
    Current Employee - MMS Sales

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is second to none. The company invests so much into the training, development and success of their people AND product. Finding a company who cares as much about their clients and employees as they do their bottom dollar, is not an easy task. Paychex is one of the few companies who does! With our clients being the main focus and providing the best solutions being their top priority, coming to work for Paychex was a no brainer for me. They really are the very BEST to work for and WITH!

Cons

In my time at Paychex, I've not experienced any cons. The only con I can speak to is that many competitors like to use outdated information about the company as a, albeit very weak, weapon. Paychex is doing a great job in addressing this inaccuracies and equipping their people with the real story of paychex!

Advice to Management

Always listen to your team, no matter how new or seasoned and continue to do the great work of focusing on others. You're doing a wonderful job!

Showing 1,595 of 1,632 reviews