Paychex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Interview Questions

Updated Jan 11, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Albuquerque, NM) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fast, clear, and communicative. Stephen Martinez was amazing! He kept me informed of each step and the expectations of each, and was very accessible when I had questions. It was an 8 day process from applying to job offer (which is phenomenally quick!).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake: what it was, how you fixed it, and the outcome.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

It was pleasant. The recruiter was extremely nice and easy to talk to. They were understanding about my schedule because I am already employed and the person I met for an in person interview was also super nice!
    I chose not to move past the first interview because I had offers coming in that I found more compelling.

Interview Questions

• It was all standard stuff about me, my work history and work style   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online through their corporate website and heard back the next day to do an assessment online. It took 20 mins to complete, questions involved basic math skills and common sense skills. After about a week received an email from Steve requesting a video interview. This needed to be done in the next 48 hours. I did it as soon as I received the email. They give you practice runs to help prepare you for the real one. Which was a tremendous help! After about an hour of practice I started my video interview. You have 3 mins to fully answer the question/s. After submitting my interview I heard back about a day later asking to schedule a phone interview.
    The next day I had a 20-30 min interview talking about my work background. About 2 days later I received an email requesting an in person interview with 2 senior managers sometimes 3 depends on the time they have available. I was lucky to have all three one on ones in one day.. I had my interviews and they were great! Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They asked a lot of situational questions that I’ve experienced previously. (Tell me a time when...) after the last interview they said I would hear from someone by the end of the week. Around 5pm I got a call back asking how my experience went that morning and how I thought the interview lasted went, and if I had any additional questions. Then I was offered the position! It was such a truly awesome experience to go through. Not like most interviews where you feel nervous and anxious, it was calm, and I felt so comfortable.

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Albuquerque, NM) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was sent an assessment that consisted of both mathematical and hypothetical questions. Ensure you're in a quiet environment when you take the assessment, it requires focus and can be challenging. The next day I received a call from the recruiter Steven Martinez, who is nothing short of amazing. We scheduled an over the phone interview for the following morning. After discussing my background and experience with Steven , I was scheduled an in person interview with two supervisors the following Wednesday. After my interview with the two supervisors I was given an exciting opportunity to shadow a Senior Payroll Specialist. I was given the opportunity to ask an immense number of questions and get to see what the position looked like on a busy Wednesday. Following my experience at Paychex, I was scheduled a final interview with another manager that upcoming Monday. Each interview consists of behavioral questions that require specific and genuine answers. The next day, I received the best call ever, the one that let me know that I had received a job offer conditional on my background check and drug test. The entire process was easy, quick and efficient. I am excited to have completed my new hire paperwork and will be starting with the Paychex family in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you chose to ignore or bend a policy?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Very professional and clear. It took them at least 3-4 weeks to get back to me. Their office and team team very strong and corporate looking. Hope to get an offer soon.

Interview Questions

• What are your expectations for salary?   1 Answer

SMB Solutions Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Riverside, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I had first applied online at the end of November 2017. A couple days later I had received a phone call from the national recruiter who's name was Maria (which by the way, was the best recruiter I've ever talked to). I had another phone screen with her and after that, she set me up for an in person with the District Sales Manager. Not until then did I see how well they actually value their employees and really want to give them the tools & training to make sure they succeed. I then had a 2nd in person interview with the Zone Leader who set me up for a ride along to see the day to day life of a Paychex Sales Consultant. A few days a later I was presented the job offer and accepted it. Overall, the interview process went very well and although seemed very extensive, it was well worth it!

Client Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I sent my application electronically on a Monday night. I received an email from a recruiter the following morning, with a description of the position, its pay, hours, and other benefits, along with a request to take an online assessment (math, problem-solving, ethics, customer service). I completed the assessment that night and received another email 2 days later with a request to complete a video interview. I completed the interview and got a call the following Monday to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was completed that same week. 3 weeks following the phone interview I had not heard anything back, so I contacted the recruiter (emailed him on a Monday). He responded and said they had gotten behind on looking at applications and that if I didn't hear anything by Wednesday to contact him again. I got a call the next morning (Tuesday) to set up an in-person interview. The in-person interview took place on Thursday of that week. The interview lasted 30-40 minutes. It was a fairly relaxed environment, with 2 interviewers. They asked roughly 6-8 questions, plenty of small talk/jokes, explanation of the position and the training process, and plenty of time for me to ask any questions I had. I got a voicemail from the recruiter that evening but was working (at my previous job) until later in the evening that night, so I waited to call him back until the morning. He asked me about my thoughts on the position and the interview, and then offered me the position, which I accepted. The interview process is long and there are many steps, but the level of difficulty is reasonable and everyone I was in contact with during this process was very thorough, helpful, kind and diligent. I was a little intimidated before I applied but would recommend to go for it if you are thinking about it.

Interview Questions

• One of the values of Paychex is innovation Tell us about a time when you were innovative.   Answer Question

SMB Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Was contacted via Linkedin to interview for SMB Acct Exe position. Setup time for a phone interview which was an overview of the job. Liked what I heard, completed a video interview via computer. Was then asked to come in for an interview with a Sales Manager. The interview went ok, was suppose to be in front of a panel but the other Managers couldn't attend.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions & a deep drive into prior work experience.   Answer Question

Core Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Literally the longest and most painful interview process imaginable. I will count how many interviews I had to go through. 1) I got a call from the recruiter and we did a short meet and greet and she asked me a few basic questions. 2) Then I got invited to do a video interview. Asked more in depth sales related questions 3) invited to do a face to face interview with two managers 4) invited to do a ride along where I had to miss a day of work which is really inconvenient for most people and the rep I did my ride along with wasn’t even going to take me out to lunch or pay for me! We didn’t eat lunch until 3:30 because he was so stressed about “hunting” new business. 5) another follow up phone interview with the manager about my ride along 6) an interview with one of the higher up managers out of the Rochester office. I was told this would be the final interview and that they’d make a decision. Two weeks went by and heard nothing. 6) got an email from the recruiter that two OTHER managers wanted to interview me over the phone. At this point, after seeing what the sales rep had to go through on my ride along, and the extensive and unnecessary method of interviews, I declined. I have been through interview processes for multiple sales jobs such as Pharmaceuticals, and the MAX amount of interviews they do is 3, so I can’t really believe Paychex needs to do that many “to make sure they find the right fit” like come on! Not to mention, the sales rep I went out with, drove like 100 miles a day on his own car. His $500 reimbursement was not even enough to cover his fuel charges and insurance he told me! After all this I realized this is not a company I would want to work for.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Paychex in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through Indeed and filled out application on their website. A day later I received an email from a recruiter to take the assessment test which was quite refreshing. Test was more of a math quiz to see how you are in finding percentages and such. I emailed recruiter the same night I completed the assessment test. She scheduled a time for a phone call a few days later to have a casual phone interview(basically to ask a few questions but not a full on interview). After the phone call she scheduled a face to face interview at the local office for following week. I had 2 face to face interviews first was with 2 supervisors and also shadowed a young lady afterwards. They were very nice and professional and asked situation questions. Received a call the next day from a different supervisor for my 2nd face to face interview. Met her the following day and she also was nice and asked situation questions.

Interview Questions

• Most were situation questions along the lines of "Tell me about a time..."   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Can be lengthy wait time between contacts from HR or the supervisors. You'll have to interview a few different times w/ different people on the call. There was also a lengthy assessment you take prior to even interviewing.

Interview Questions

• They were mostly behavioral questions to see how you've responded to situations in the past.   Answer Question