Paychex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Albuquerque, NM) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fast, clear, and communicative. Stephen Martinez was amazing! He kept me informed of each step and the expectations of each, and was very accessible when I had questions. It was an 8 day process from applying to job offer (which is phenomenally quick!).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake: what it was, how you fixed it, and the outcome.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Everything went well in the beginning. I applied online and a recruiter contacted me shortly. After the initial phone screening, if you made it to the next round you are asked to take an assessment test and video interview through HireVue. The recruiter seemed nice and spoke highly about the company and all its perks and that my expense would be covered. Let's just say that didn't happen. The interview was with one of the District Managers and it went well in the beginning but towards the end, I felt like the DM was insulting by asking me if I knew what certain things were- which I'm sure an elementary student would know. I strongly disliked how the interview ended but I still thought that things can work out. I asked about my expensive being covered and I was told that the recruiter had given me false information. I called and emailed the recruiter before and after the interview and never got a response. From there, I questioned the ethics of this company. A week later I received a generic email stating that they will not be moving forward. I take denial well but I would have appreciated if I have not been told something that was not true, returned a phone call or email, and/or personalized the denial letter by AT LEAST signing off on it. The email I received was from a "no-reply" email address... rude.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Can be lengthy wait time between contacts from HR or the supervisors. You'll have to interview a few different times w/ different people on the call. There was also a lengthy assessment you take prior to even interviewing.

Interview Questions

• They were mostly behavioral questions to see how you've responded to situations in the past.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Submitted application got a video request to answer some questions, did that. Had a remote Paychex recruiter call me out of GA. She then forwarded my information to the onsite team. Did an interview with 3 people on a phone line...went well but it's day 2 so where's the denial letter because that's what crappy companies do they don't return your emails even though younger probably the best candidate they have.

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Phone interview, face to face, testing, ride along with current rep, interview, 2 weeks in Rochester, NY - take mandatory payroll/benefits test at end. Failure of test leads to automatic termination.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond if you found out a co-worker was working unethically?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Paychex (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview was intense. I did a total of six interviews. First on the career fair (which was informal), then a phone interview. Third with a District manager at San Bruno, Fourth was a panel interview with two District managers at San Ramon, California. The fifth was another panel interview with a District manager and Zone manager. The last interview was a short one prior to the offer of employment by my District manager. Whew!

Interview Questions

• what motivates you? does money motivate you?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (High Point, NC) in August 2017.

Interview

I received a call from a wonderful recruiter who helped me through every step of the process. I completed an online interview screening, an online assessment, two in-person interviews, as well as a day where I completed a ride along with a current sales rep to ensure that I was familiar with the job expectations and ready for the challenge. The final interview included a "value prop" presentation where I had to research and put together a product presentation for a client. The managers challenged and encouraged me to succeed.

Interview Questions

• Explain your work ethic through high school, college, and grad school. How does this show who you are as an individual, and how will this carry over into your drive as a sales rep?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied on Thursday night and received an email on Friday morning from a recruiter requesting I complete an online assessment and a video interview. I completed these on Friday night. The video interview was nerve-wracking and weird; I felt this was not the best way to learn about me. I was surprised when I received another email from the recruiter on Monday requesting a phone interview the next morning. The phone interview with the recruiter went very well and I was left with the impression I would move forward in the process. I received a generic rejection email two days later. For Paychex to emphasize during the interview process how they believe in developing employees, it is a huge disappointment that they took the lazy way out by sending a generic rejection email instead of telling me why I was not chosen for the next step.

Outbound Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Louisville, KY) in August 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was professional that set up the interview. Very poor management that interviewed me. This office had tremendous high turnover and I can see why. I also thought that a particular manager made negative comments about the company. This was my cue not to accept the position.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

This was very long process and rightfully so. They invest a great deal in you for the training in New York. I was interviewed for a payroll sales position and then was introduced to a 401k manager instead, did the ride day, and two phone interviews with the DSM and Zone Manager. I was then told no, but they really liked me, so I received a second opportunity with the payroll division. I, again, went on the ride day and had a phone interview with the DSM. I was then offered the job.

All in:
    Recruiter 20 minute phone interview to gauge communication skills and ability for position.

Then a digital video interview which was extremely uncomfortable, but just be confident!

I then came in for a in person interview. Then was invited back for a follow up in person interview. Went on two field rides, and had a total of 3 more phone interviews.

Highlights: Jody was my recruiter for the positions and she was amazing. Extremely helpful and comforting throughout the process. Additionally, my conversation with the DSM was phenomenal and a truly enlightening experience. He brought out the true reasons why I wanted to work for Paychex and why I can succeed in the role.

This was an extremely long process, but was the job I wanted and I was willing to go through it all. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why would you be better for this role than someone with more experience?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be good for outside sales?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest 3 character traits and what are 3 character traits you could see impacting your success?   Answer Question
    • Why Paychex?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview w/ territory manager & top selling rep, phone interview, 8 hour ride along, phone interview, online assessment test, in person interview with territory manager and regional manager