Paychex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Albuquerque, NM) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fast, clear, and communicative. Stephen Martinez was amazing! He kept me informed of each step and the expectations of each, and was very accessible when I had questions. It was an 8 day process from applying to job offer (which is phenomenally quick!).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake: what it was, how you fixed it, and the outcome.   Answer Question

Paychex Response

Jun 4, 2018 – Employment Brand Program Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience! We agree that Steven is pretty great. Welcome to the team!

Outbound Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Louisville, KY) in August 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was professional that set up the interview. Very poor management that interviewed me. This office had tremendous high turnover and I can see why. I also thought that a particular manager made negative comments about the company. This was my cue not to accept the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Santa Ana, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

A lot of topgrading questions and discussion of previous jobs and schooling.

Interview Questions

• How would your previous boss describe your weaknesses and how would you improve them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Nashville, TN) in February 2010.

Interview

Recrutier called and prescreened, she as very nice to deal with. She called back about 10 mins later to set up another phone interview with DM. Phone interview with DM was BRUTAL. She was rude and basically trying to weed me out from the get go.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you can handle this type of schedule? She quoted 60 hrs /week +   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Paychex (Louisville, KY) in March 2011.

Interview

Human resources was helpful and fair in the screening process, however failed to follow up with an email in regards to the status of the interview process. Very unclear with the hiring manager as to the outcome of the interview although was indicated in the interview that he/she would follow up with me within a weeks time. I don't expect to hear back from the company based upon the attitude of the interviewing manager. I wouldn't recommend interviewing with this firm unless you have one half of a day to waste, although the company is very large and sustained it seems to be very corporate and mis managed.

Interview Questions

• What fraternity were you in ?   1 Answer
    • What sports did you play?   1 Answer

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Interview

Initial I was contacted by a recruiter via email. He asked what day and time we could speak. I emailed back and didn't hear from him. I emailed again 3 weeks later. He followed up a few days later requesting a phone interview. After our phone interview he asked me to take an online assessment to determine if I move forward. I had 48 hours to do it. He responded the next day that I scored well and the hiring manager wanted to meet me the next day. I met with her and was well prepared. I told her how I had gone through 4 rounds of intervies 8 years ago but didn't get the position. She seemed put off by that and the fact that I could not remember the names of a couple of the people that I had met with. She told me that despite what the recruiter told me they did not have any openings. I sent thank you emails later that day and the recruiter called me the following day to tell me they are not interested in me going forward.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Started with a normal recruiter, then had a phone interview with district sales manager, then a face to face interview with him, then another phone interview with a 2nd district sales manager, then a ride along with a current outside sales rep, then an interview with the head of state manager. The whole process took about a month.

Interview Questions

• what could the outside sales rep that you shadowed for the day with done better or different?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Paychex in December 2015.

Interview

An internal recruiter responded to my application, and scheduled a 30 minute phone screening. I was then invited to take an online assessment, which I passed, as I was asked to meet with the hiring manager. At the end of the meeting, I was informed I'd go on a field ride and meet with the Zone Manager, after which a decision would be made.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Reading, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (North Reading, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

Initial contact with recruiter. He offered the job description sounding somewhat desperate. Set up interview district manager first. Met with him and had a very basic conversation. Explained the job a little bit more and what they offer. I inquired about the next steps of interview process. He told me there would be a meeting with one of his peers, a shadow day with current rep and finally meet with zone manager. Had shadow day which was fine but takes up an entire day. I reached out to recruiter to follow up after first interview and shadow day, as requested to keep in contact. Never heard back until several weeks later to set up final interview with zone manager. This individual had the personality of a piece of cardboard. When I arrived at the office the woman who greeted me was very friendly and told me the manager was finishing up a call. As I waited, I saw maybe three employees and they all looked miserable. One was going out on an appt and flat out said to his co-worker that he "wasting his time on someone that already had everything and was a jerk." Great representation of your company and sales force, PAYCHEX! It was soooo quiet too. For a company that claims it's a team atmosphere and collaborative, that was definitely not the case in this office. Finally sat down with zone manager. He immediately gives off the impression that he believes he's better than you. I knew as soon as I began talking that this interview was going nowhere. He asked where I grew up and made a snide comment about where I did grow up. He asked what I did in high school. How were my grades, what extra curricular activities did I participate in. I told him what sports I played and he asked if I was a part of student government. None of these questions are pertinent to the job! He asked about college, which makes a little sense to ask about. Inquire about the candidates work history and performance and how they can apply their knowledge to the job. Who cares what they did in high school! Clearly, this is an individual that had a superiority complex and has stayed at his first job out of college due to the lack of social skills.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Where do I begin. I applied for this position over the summer and it took roughly 8-10 weeks to complete. First Personality Assessment, phone interview, in person interview, another phone interview, Field day and a final interview. I was not happy with the lack of response I received from the DSM or anyone for that matter. The recruiter was really good about letting me know when he knew something, but I don't think he could do much about the EXTREMELY lengthy process either. I received zero feed back during the process, despite having a great interview. I followed up each interview with a thank you and continued to check in every week. During this time, I was able to find another sales position with a competing company that I ended up taking. No one has 3 months to interview for a job!!

Interview Questions

• Where else are you applying? Do you like the word "no?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miramar, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Miramar, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

I had an interview with 3 District Managers for an Outside Sales Representative position. No one showed up for 30 minutes. The girl at the front desk was very unprofessional, stuffing her face while answer phones and etc. Later I was told that all 3 managers needed to be at a meeting and someone was to inform me. Very unprofessional and very unorganized.