Paychex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Paychex

1. Featured Interview

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Jacksonville, FL) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online, then looked up the recruiter for the area and reached out to her on Linkedin. She then checked me out and reached out to the DSM for the area. He requested an interview. After my interview with him I was sent on a field ride with a rep. If that went well, then I'd interview with Zone Manager. Once I had my interview with the Zone Manager- I was presented an offer. Then the drug test, background screening started.

Interview Questions

• They asked many questions about my past selling experiences and wanted to know about my sales cycle.   1 Answer

SMB Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

Lengthy and asked to come in at 6am at a office far not near my residence when they have an office closer. More to cater toward the benefit of the manager conducting the interview.

Interview Questions

• Was there a time you faced a difficult situation to close a deal? What did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Sales & Operation Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

HR screening interview was short like 20 min. And then I had an interview with one of the team member for more than 30 min. Last interview was with the manager of the team- it was less than 30 min. All of the process went quickly but overall it took around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Good team experience, Bad team experience, How to deal with the boring project ..   Answer Question

Mid-Market Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paychex (Orlando, FL) in July 2020.

Interview

Quite a lengthy process. I was referred by 2 people to a sales manager. This manager immediately passed me on to a recruiter, which was a good thing because during our initial conversation we both agreed I was overqualified for a position on his team. The recruiter, whom I will say was the best part of the process, sent my resume to other managers within Paychex.

A couple days later the recruiter scheduled me for an introductory call with a mid-market sales manager. That call went great, lasted about half an hour or so. Good back and forth, very conversational. Afterwards I received a message from the recruiter saying the manager wanted to set up a virtual interview within the next week.

The virtual interview also went very well. Discussed my background, work history, sales process, the position itself and had plenty of time for my questions. It was important that I tried to close him at the end. He said he would get back to me with next steps.

Two days later the recruiter reached out and told me the manager would like me to talk with his colleague, another manager within Paychex. That call would take place the following week.

The call/interview went great as well. This round was more structured and I could tell that this manager had a list of questions he was reading from. Typical interview questions: history, process, scenarios, objection handling, etc. I tried closing at the end of course. He liked that. He told me he would give his approval to the other manager and that someone would be in touch with next steps.

A few days later my would-be manager reached out to tell me that he received good feedback from his colleague and I would be moving on in the process.This would be a phone interview with the manager of the Southeast. Three days later the recruiter texted me with the day/time for this call, which was a full week out.

Prior to the last interview the manager texted me asking for a quick call to discuss my upcoming call with his boss. We talked the next day and he gave me some hints about what she will focus on: deep into process, my goals, why Paychex, etc.

The call from the boss came and I was prepared. Was able to answer her questions thoroughly, sometimes after she asked me to go deeper into a subject. In the end I felt she was hung up on lack of industry experience as she said this is a very fast paced environment. I assured her I have worked in similar situations and I know how to manage my time in a monthly/quarterly sales driven position. She appreciated my assumptive close and stated that ultimately the decision to bring me on board would be the manager's. The manager was on vacation this week so it would be another 7 days before I could reach out to discuss next steps.

I called, emailed and texted the manager for the first 3 days after his return from vacation. I got a text from him on the third day stating he had not had a chance to talk with his boss yet but it would be in the next couple days. I heard nothing the rest of the week.

The following Monday I left another voicemail in the morning. That afternoon he called me back to say that they are in a hiring freeze and cannot bring anyone on at this time. Early in the process he told me that he has 9 territories under him and only 8 team members. He went on to say that he could get permission to bring the 9th person on if there was a fit. The entire time he told me I was a fit. Unclear to me where the disconnect was.

So in a nutshell, the process was about a month long with several steps, only to find out that there was never a position open in the first place. Lucky for me I had been interviewing at several places during this time and accepted a position elsewhere. Also during this time I had an opportunity to read some of the company and interview reviews. I truly believe I dodged a bullet here. Do yourself a favor and read all you can about Paychex. Here are some highlights: low pay, outdated tech, poor management, in-house competition for deals.

Interview Questions

• Will you walk me through your sales process?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paychex in April 2020.

Interview

The process started out well as the recruiter initiated contact through Linked In, but her poor follow up and "ghosting" only proves that sometimes recruiters are guilty of the reputation they have at times. Other than one follow up e-mail after our phone interview, she ignored every attempt I made to move the process forward. I even reached out to her supervisor to no avail.

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

I was selected for an interview through my college career fair. The interview included four members from Paychex and myself, during which they asked me to walk them through any project of mine. They asked me questions about the project and what my learnings were and gave me a design task at the end of the interview. I was given one week to finish the design task and was told that they would take one week (after I submit the design task) to let me know their decision. I submitted my design task on time and received no response. I sent many follow-up emails, after which their UX designer scheduled a phone call with me. On the given day and time, I did not receive any call. I sent more follow-up emails, however I got no response. They did not even send me an automated email to let me know I was not selected for the position. Terrible experience, overall.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in March 2020.

Interview

The interview process was super quick! Took about two weeks.

Applied online and got a text within 24 hours that a recruiter wanted to set up an appointment to interview screen me. Very down to earth experience. None of that "tell me about a time when nonsense". They want to know your experience and if that experience lines up with what they're looking for...period!

Got forwarded to the hiring manager. That interview was very pleasant. Very conversational...giving you a good sense of what the job is, what limitations you may have in doing the job, emphasis on who they are looking for, plenty of opportunities to ask as many questions as you want.

Then, I was forwarded to the District Manager. Similar experience but really targeted on the job responsibilities and walking them through my experience and explaining how my experience matches up and what I can bring to the team. Also, the focus is not just on tasks but your track history in getting RESULTS and being able to generate leads and convert them to buyers.

Final step was a role play. If you know how to sell, you'll be fine...ie demonstrating that you know to ask targeted discovery questions, uncover needs and tying your product in as a solution, asking for the sale and closing. They give you a fair amount of materials to use, but it definitely helps if you go above and beyond that. You just have to prepare by learning what you can about the product(s) and their features, how your targeted client benefits from these features and know something about the company and again, ask for the sale.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Interview cancelled 2 minutes before scheduled time..............

I applied Sunday & was contacted Monday by a Talent Acquisition Rep to schedule a phone interview. I was given an array of dates & times to select via Calendly for a 30 minute phone call. I selected my time, scheduled the time off of work (all times were during 9-5 hours) and planned on receiving a call 2 days later.

2 minutes before the scheduled call, I got a passive email from the Talent Acquisition Rep stating 'Sorry for the short notice, but after reviewing your profile, we will not be moving forward with the candidacy. 2 minutes before the scheduled call, this is not an exaggeration.

I of course am too worried about replying back with some disappointment in the process, as I am concerned it will severe ties with the company, but then again- do I want to work somewhere where a 2 month employed recruiter (I looked him up via LinkedIn) did his job so irresponsibly that he waited 2 minutes before a scheduled call, didn't review my profile on #1 selecting me as a candidate clearly, but #2 look at it again before our call.

Not to mention, PayChex/SurePayroll has NO way of getting in contact with someone internally regarding this matter, as I feel they have the right to know that there are recruiters doing a poor job at representing the company

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY).

Interview

It was a single rounded, 45-minute interview that involved discussing my resume, technical aspects of it and some basic code questions. The interview is easy and the interviewee makes the environment very comfortable to talk in, they are looking for hard-working, smart individuals for their company

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

My interview process was great. It was a fast process, for me. I did a phone interview Tuesday, interviewed Friday, in person. Did a final interview that following Monday. I received offer same day. I started within two weeks.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Call with a recruiter, Sit down with DSM and Zone Manager. After the in person interviews had an offer extended within a week. Was overall a smooth process. Company sells HCM products and is very well versed in recruiting and hiring talent.

Interview Questions

• What is your 30,60,90 day plan.   1 Answer