Point B Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have a perfect work/life balance for their employees (in 40 reviews)

• Great people that are down to earth and supportive; you can let your guard down at Point B (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No paid vacation, not tons of promotion opportunity (in 7 reviews)

• As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great people!"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

I'm impressed by the quality of my peers at Point B - great people, who work hard to do what's right for their clients.

Cons

Depending on the client location, commutes can be long within your city.

"Compensation poor, people awesome"

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazingly well grounded, broad interest, and bright colleagues. Firm seems to finally be setting priorities that value client delivery above other side work.

Cons

Compensation is tough and tenure not rewarded even if you are a steady contributor. Bill rates rise and pay rates stay stagnant. PTO doesn't really exist...you have to take over 30 percent off in a given month to realize any paid time off if you are on the plus pay model. No paid holidays. Only 3 days of true PTO at a reduced rate.

Advice to Management

Keep upping comp and benefits. Get leaner so we don't need such high margins. Truly reward CSD. Keep hiring amazing people!

Point B Response

Feb 12, 2018 – COO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Unlike many organizations that have a set number of days one can take off, Point B’s compensation model is built to provide much more flexibility and... More

"Its all good"

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice people, healthy work atmosphere, good work, lots of opportunity.

Cons

no east coast presence at this time.

4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work, strong community, compassionate leadership, many development opportunities, flexibility in client engagements, and solid investment in local community.

Cons

Nothing substantive. My concerns have always been taken seriously, so nothing to add here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you.

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, lots of young employees who hang out together. Great first job for a culture that continues college.

Cons

Grunt work that supports the experienced consultants. In crowd that gets promoted for reasons other than hard work, solid work. Bringing in sales is what they want.

Advice to Management

Alternative career paths.

"Senior Associate"

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Client facing (those bringing in the revenue) are incredibly bright, fun, and caring. The stated culture and values are great...too bad we have slipped away at actually living them.

Cons

Comp model is a joke. Paid vacation is a joke, we actually only get 3 days of true unpaid vacation and it is paid at 70%. All the leaders tout this yet they don't live it. If a family member falls ill and they take 3 weeks off, they work out coverage for themselves but are still paid. This is NOT TRUE for client facing associates paid hourly (oh wait, they say we are salaried and get Seattle required PTO). This company has some bright spots but pay for how hard folks work just doesn't add up. I would tell friends to go work elsewhere if they don't feel like being a volunteer for corporate.

Advice to Management

Treat the ranks as you would like to be treated. Try having your vacation days paid at 70% or 0% if you only take 30% of a month off. This base salary thing is a joke as I don't think anyone that has been here for more than 2 years considers the quoted Point B salary as a "base".

Point B Response

Sep 11, 2017 – COO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Point B’s compensation model is built around flexibility and choice, and allows individuals to determine the amount of time they take off in a given... More

"Perfect Balance"

Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a perfect work/life balance for their employees. Very culture oriented and supportive

Cons

They're going through a transition right now, so it might seem like they're trying to get a handle on understanding how to manage some of the transition (like valuing some new positions, new markets, employee progression, etc.), but overall they're doing a great job

"Good lifestyle company"

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great options exist for flexibility, if you can get them - it takes a while to build up an internal reputation strong enough to allow for that flexibility. Love the ability to work at different clients, experience different cultures, and grow.

Cons

"Choice" isn't always choice, as an employee-owned company, there is a fair amount of pressure to take what's in front of you vs. deciding on something else. I don't feel like there are often roles available for the direction I want to go / interests, but we do our best.

Advice to Management

Please don't turn us into one of the big consulting firms. Our little firm was founded by people who got burnt out in that environment, and I fear we are now heading back in that direction in the name of profit.

"Associate"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

The recruitment process, while extensive, was both fascinating and refreshing. I worked with an HR contact at HQ who guided me through the multi-tiered interview process. Now several months in, I have yet to come across a bad apple on the team, which I think is a testament to all of the work this company puts in on the front-end to ensure quality hiring.

Cons

The actual onboarding process is extensive which, while preferable, can feel overwhelming when you are staffed right out of the gate.

Advice to Management

Continue asking for feedback, continue evolving, continue growing!

"Great opportunities with great people"

Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Point B provides the opportunity to follow your interests. Throughout the numerous service lines and industries, Point B leaders are more than willing to share their expertise with less experienced consultants. There are many ways to learn and build on the collective knowledge base within (and even outside) the company. In addition, Point B fosters an entrepreneurial environment, encouraging all employees to push their passions from ideas to realities.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business, there can be limited physical interactions with colleagues on a regular basis. Although it can take a little more effort to connect with people, everyone is extremely welcoming to a cup of coffee or lunch to get to know you and help you out with whatever questions you may have.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to reinforce the strong values that it preaches from recruiting to Principals, Directors and the Executive team. One area of improvement could be a framework for senior leaders to help incorporate recent college graduates into Point B as we continue to hire more emerging leaders.