Point B Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have a perfect work/life balance for their employees" (in 47 reviews)

• "Great culture - lots of 'fun' events" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "As a consulting firm they tried to build a sales team" (in 6 reviews)

• "No paid vacation, not tons of promotion opportunity" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Balance"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company focuses on taking care of its employees first. As a result employees are generally very engaged and it translates to a high degree of client satisfaction

Cons

You have to be comfortable creating your own structure for professional development

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Dec 28, 2018 – COO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We think Point B is pretty special and we receive comments like yours often. Thank you also for sharing your candid thoughts on career development... More

"My Review: For what it is worth"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

- Great Work Life Balance
    - Smart Co-workers that have a lot to offer
    - Travel is optional

Cons

-Wet Blanket over you in terms of pay increases and promotions
    - Used to value its culture and people, now the firm cares primarily for the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Point B has historically been a firm that has very tenured consultants that can charge a high margin. As younger talent joined the firm, Point B has been able to still charge a premium for Point B resources while paying Associates, Analysts etc. way less (which is great for the company as a whole). But after those more junior folks develop and excel, responsibilities increase etc. pay needs to reflect the additional responsibilities and experience.

-Focus more on your junior folks pay. Many (Associates/Analyst's) I have talked to are actively looking for other opportunities because of the minimal pay increases and lack of upward opportunity.

- If we really exist for the benefit of our people.. pay them and give promotions appropriately. I get the point of the ESOP and meeting financial targets, but PEOPLE are the most important thing you have. Set lower financial targets to make the employees happy. After all, if you treat your employees well, the employees will treat the company well.

Lastly, all my points above have been communicated with my 1:1 and several other Associate/Analyst 1:1's but senior leadership does not seem to be paying attention to this problem. Instead senior leadership is focused on "non-compensation" related praise. We all live in expensive markets now and cost of living increases while pay stays the same (or laughable increases).

Recommendation for anyone joining the firm, fight hard for your compensation to begin with as you may be there for a while.

Jan 21, 2019 – COO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Point B’s compensation model is built around our Total Rewards philosophy which is designed as a package and also takes into consideration our guiding... More

3. "Work life balance doesn't exist everywhere"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Awesome people, needs of client are priority over making money. Highly ethical.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Consultants seem to have more work life balance and better compensation than other areas of the company.

Advice to Management

Operations keeps the machine running. Realize the value of your non consulting employees with more than words. Don't risk losing good people with scrawny compensation and bonus. Recognize the dedication and hard work that loyal employees make.

Dec 5, 2018 – COO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I couldn’t agree more on your comment regarding our people and our business integrity and values.
    Thank you also for sharing your compensation... More

4. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Total transparency
    Great work life balance
    Great opportunities

Cons

Tends to have long deal cycles.

Advice to Management

Continue to progress and gain Point B awareness.

"Hard working people who love God"

Former Employee - Database in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Database in Chicago, IL

I worked at Point B part-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO health care time off sick and vacation paid

Cons

Getting up early. Too strict on employees more tea for employees and healthy snacks 👂

Advice to Management

Give the employees what they want

"They put the CULT in Culture"

I worked at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really smart people there and decent live/work balance.

Cons

1. They beat you over the head with culture. If you have a good culture you dont need to keep pushing it on people. And saying things like - you need to fit our culture is more exclusive than inclusionary. God forbid you dont fit their culture. You must go out to events.
    2. As a consulting firm they tried to build a sales team. But as consultancies usually do they think their consultants can sell - that is where there minimal growth comes from. Then they have sales people dotted line to the regional practice directors that know nothing about sales and the sales mgmt they promoted are simply legacy consultants. What a disaster. Sales is its own beast and not everyone can be a salesperson. Mgmt never really defined sales role and let each practice director and region decide how to use sales - disaster.
    3) There seems to be a liberal air about the company. Every time there was a political happening the CEO had to chime in with a long letter on his thoughts. I dont know why companies do this - focus on running the company and keep your political views out of it.

Overall there is alot of mediocrity and people are ok with that. There isnt strong leadership and the regions are somewhat autonomous. Its a throwback to the old Big 4 consultancy days - those days are over.. wondering how much longer they can stay around with such paltry growth...

Advice to Management

Be more active and take charge in the company. Keep your political comments to yourself and if you ever attempt sales again hire real sales leaders and sales people and give them the power to define the sales process. Consultants dont sell that is why they are consultants.

Oct 12, 2018 – COO

We really do pride ourselves on our culture. In fact we actively welcome all points of view aimed at making it better, including yours. We want our people to talk with their directors or me to share... More

"Great people, bad leadership priorities and work"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best culture I've been a part of. The people are amazing and do care about you as a person.

Cons

Leadership will put you into roles that you are sometimes not suited for or not experienced enough to handle. This happened to me multiple times, and when a project went south I was the one who was blamed. This is not a place to come to early in your career.

Advice to Management

Stop putting growth ahead of the development of your young talent. It will burn them out.

Aug 31, 2018 – COO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback. Project leadership is a core strength for us here at Point B and developing emerging leaders – such as yourself – is a big part of... More

"Dream come true"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. You're treated like a person, not a work-machine. There is a culture of appreciation and positivity without trying to hide that there are things they can work on.

Cons

There's a lot of change, it's scary that all of the changes are happening at once.

Jun 11, 2018 – COO

We appreciate the thoughtful feedback you’ve provided. Agree, it does feel like several different change plans are in place. It also feels a bit a unique, AND, hopefully, :) like an exciting time in... More

"Great place"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Great culture, great people, and wonderful flexibility.

Cons

Pay isn’t the greatest with limited bonus

May 29, 2018 – COO

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Our people and culture are at the center of what makes us a great place to work, and it makes us proud to hear your feedback.

Our total... More

"Great Company for Self Starters"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Great people, great mission, and an inspiring place to work. Ownership is something that is not only talked about but acted upon as well. If you are currently a road warrior looking to settle down and stop traveling Point B is the place for you.

Cons

It can be difficult working on a client as a point solution without other Point B co-workers. If you aren't a self-starter or willing to take the time to create your own career its easy to get lost in the day to day of client work.