Point B Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have a perfect work/life balance for their employees" (in 45 reviews)

• "Great culture - lots of 'fun' events" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "As a consulting firm they tried to build a sales team" (in 6 reviews)

• "No paid vacation, not tons of promotion opportunity" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Total transparency
    Great work life balance
    Great opportunities

Cons

Tends to have long deal cycles.

Advice to Management

Continue to progress and gain Point B awareness.

"Hard working people who love God"

Former Employee - Database in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Database in Chicago, IL

I worked at Point B part-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO health care time off sick and vacation paid

Cons

Getting up early. Too strict on employees more tea for employees and healthy snacks 👂

Advice to Management

Give the employees what they want

"They put the CULT in Culture"

I worked at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really smart people there and decent live/work balance.

Cons

1. They beat you over the head with culture. If you have a good culture you dont need to keep pushing it on people. And saying things like - you need to fit our culture is more exclusive than inclusionary. God forbid you dont fit their culture. You must go out to events.
    2. As a consulting firm they tried to build a sales team. But as consultancies usually do they think their consultants can sell - that is where there minimal growth comes from. Then they have sales people dotted line to the regional practice directors that know nothing about sales and the sales mgmt they promoted are simply legacy consultants. What a disaster. Sales is its own beast and not everyone can be a salesperson. Mgmt never really defined sales role and let each practice director and region decide how to use sales - disaster.
    3) There seems to be a liberal air about the company. Every time there was a political happening the CEO had to chime in with a long letter on his thoughts. I dont know why companies do this - focus on running the company and keep your political views out of it.

Overall there is alot of mediocrity and people are ok with that. There isnt strong leadership and the regions are somewhat autonomous. Its a throwback to the old Big 4 consultancy days - those days are over.. wondering how much longer they can stay around with such paltry growth...

Advice to Management

Be more active and take charge in the company. Keep your political comments to yourself and if you ever attempt sales again hire real sales leaders and sales people and give them the power to define the sales process. Consultants dont sell that is why they are consultants.

Oct 12, 2018 – COO

We really do pride ourselves on our culture. In fact we actively welcome all points of view aimed at making it better, including yours. We want our people to talk with their directors or me to share... More

4. "Great people, bad leadership priorities and work"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best culture I've been a part of. The people are amazing and do care about you as a person.

Cons

Leadership will put you into roles that you are sometimes not suited for or not experienced enough to handle. This happened to me multiple times, and when a project went south I was the one who was blamed. This is not a place to come to early in your career.

Advice to Management

Stop putting growth ahead of the development of your young talent. It will burn them out.

Aug 31, 2018 – COO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback. Project leadership is a core strength for us here at Point B and developing emerging leaders – such as yourself – is a big part of... More

"Dream come true"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. You're treated like a person, not a work-machine. There is a culture of appreciation and positivity without trying to hide that there are things they can work on.

Cons

There's a lot of change, it's scary that all of the changes are happening at once.

Jun 11, 2018 – COO

We appreciate the thoughtful feedback you’ve provided. Agree, it does feel like several different change plans are in place. It also feels a bit a unique, AND, hopefully, :) like an exciting time in... More

"Great place"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Great culture, great people, and wonderful flexibility.

Cons

Pay isn’t the greatest with limited bonus

May 29, 2018 – COO

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Our people and culture are at the center of what makes us a great place to work, and it makes us proud to hear your feedback.

Our total... More

"Great Company for Self Starters"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Great people, great mission, and an inspiring place to work. Ownership is something that is not only talked about but acted upon as well. If you are currently a road warrior looking to settle down and stop traveling Point B is the place for you.

Cons

It can be difficult working on a client as a point solution without other Point B co-workers. If you aren't a self-starter or willing to take the time to create your own career its easy to get lost in the day to day of client work.

"Lives up to all the hype - great place to work"

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest, most interesting and fun colleagues ever. For a consultant, the pros are huge - no need to travel, interesting work, opportunity to become engaged in growing the business, lots of local activities. Really fun.

Cons

HQ is in Seattle, so sometimes the local markets feel disconnected from the power base. Mostly that is good - sometimes it feels a little out of synch. But everything else is well worth that small blip.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent, open and willing to receive feedback.

"Great opportunity to early to mid-career"

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, collaborative environment, employee owned, several ways to create your own career, local model and limited travel.

Cons

Limited opportunity to grow into senior leadership ranks. Executive leadership is out of touch with the realities of consultants on the ground. Slow to implement changes to overall strategy. Don't address poor performers at leadership levels.

Advice to Management

Run the business like a business, not a club. Don't be afraid to tell people what to do and how the firm needs to evolve

"Compensation poor, people awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazingly well grounded, broad interest, and bright colleagues. Firm seems to finally be setting priorities that value client delivery above other side work.

Cons

Compensation is tough and tenure not rewarded even if you are a steady contributor. Bill rates rise and pay rates stay stagnant. PTO doesn't really exist...you have to take over 30 percent off in a given month to realize any paid time off if you are on the plus pay model. No paid holidays. Only 3 days of true PTO at a reduced rate.

Advice to Management

Keep upping comp and benefits. Get leaner so we don't need such high margins. Truly reward CSD. Keep hiring amazing people!

Feb 12, 2018 – COO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Unlike many organizations that have a set number of days one can take off, Point B’s compensation model is built to provide much more flexibility and... More