Point B Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have a perfect work/life balance for their employees (in 40 reviews)

• The company is employee owned and so you receive annual shares that is part of your retirement (they say this is higher (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future (in 5 reviews)

• Paid vacation is a joke, we actually only get 3 days of true unpaid vacation and it is paid at 70% (in 5 reviews)

"Perfect Balance"

Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a perfect work/life balance for their employees. Very culture oriented and supportive

Cons

They're going through a transition right now, so it might seem like they're trying to get a handle on understanding how to manage some of the transition (like valuing some new positions, new markets, employee progression, etc.), but overall they're doing a great job

2. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, lots of young employees who hang out together. Great first job for a culture that continues college.

Cons

Grunt work that supports the experienced consultants. In crowd that gets promoted for reasons other than hard work, solid work. Bringing in sales is what they want.

Advice to Management

Alternative career paths.

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Client facing (those bringing in the revenue) are incredibly bright, fun, and caring. The stated culture and values are great...too bad we have slipped away at actually living them.

Cons

Comp model is a joke. Paid vacation is a joke, we actually only get 3 days of true unpaid vacation and it is paid at 70%. All the leaders tout this yet they don't live it. If a family member falls ill and they take 3 weeks off, they work out coverage for themselves but are still paid. This is NOT TRUE for client facing associates paid hourly (oh wait, they say we are salaried and get Seattle required PTO). This company has some bright spots but pay for how hard folks work just doesn't add up. I would tell friends to go work elsewhere if they don't feel like being a volunteer for corporate.

Advice to Management

Treat the ranks as you would like to be treated. Try having your vacation days paid at 70% or 0% if you only take 30% of a month off. This base salary thing is a joke as I don't think anyone that has been here for more than 2 years considers the quoted Point B salary as a "base".

Point B Response

Sep 11, 2017 – COO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Point B’s compensation model is built around flexibility and choice, and allows individuals to determine the amount of time they take off in a given... More

4. "Good lifestyle company"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great options exist for flexibility, if you can get them - it takes a while to build up an internal reputation strong enough to allow for that flexibility. Love the ability to work at different clients, experience different cultures, and grow.

Cons

"Choice" isn't always choice, as an employee-owned company, there is a fair amount of pressure to take what's in front of you vs. deciding on something else. I don't feel like there are often roles available for the direction I want to go / interests, but we do our best.

Advice to Management

Please don't turn us into one of the big consulting firms. Our little firm was founded by people who got burnt out in that environment, and I fear we are now heading back in that direction in the name of profit.

"Long timer that still loves it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee owned. If we do well, we all benefit.
    The people here are genuinely nice, bright, funny, and supportive. It's not at all cut throat or competitive in nature.
    Constantly trying to grow and create new businesses, products, or roles. (not always successful, but I appreciate that we're trying to expand and create more opportunity)
    Recent pay changes so there is now parental leave for everyone, and I can essentially take as much time off as I want (of course it affects my pay) but I at least can choose.
    No formal performance management or banding/laddering. It's more about setting up goals and communicating what you want to do.

Cons

I'm guessing I can make a little more outside the firm but I also assume downsides like travel if consulting or being stuck in a job or company.
    We're not as technically focused or capable as i'm interested in getting.
    Not so much a con but more a reality. You need to raise your hand if you want something like a new role, move to new business, etc. They don't stick you in some matrix and everything like promotions happen automatically.

Advice to Management

Keep asking what makes this company better and make change where it makes sense.
    Provide more relevant development so we can deepen our skills whether by an application, a technology, etc.
    Improve our demand engine, feels like we're constantly being asked to help...

6. "Associate"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

The recruitment process, while extensive, was both fascinating and refreshing. I worked with an HR contact at HQ who guided me through the multi-tiered interview process. Now several months in, I have yet to come across a bad apple on the team, which I think is a testament to all of the work this company puts in on the front-end to ensure quality hiring.

Cons

The actual onboarding process is extensive which, while preferable, can feel overwhelming when you are staffed right out of the gate.

Advice to Management

Continue asking for feedback, continue evolving, continue growing!

"Great opportunities with great people"

Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Point B provides the opportunity to follow your interests. Throughout the numerous service lines and industries, Point B leaders are more than willing to share their expertise with less experienced consultants. There are many ways to learn and build on the collective knowledge base within (and even outside) the company. In addition, Point B fosters an entrepreneurial environment, encouraging all employees to push their passions from ideas to realities.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business, there can be limited physical interactions with colleagues on a regular basis. Although it can take a little more effort to connect with people, everyone is extremely welcoming to a cup of coffee or lunch to get to know you and help you out with whatever questions you may have.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to reinforce the strong values that it preaches from recruiting to Principals, Directors and the Executive team. One area of improvement could be a framework for senior leaders to help incorporate recent college graduates into Point B as we continue to hire more emerging leaders.

8. "Point B is AWESOME!"

Current Employee - Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, professional growth and development, intelligent and interesting co-workers, incredible culture, varied types of work that take your preferences into account.

Cons

I don't get to work as closely with my point b peers as I'd like to. I can learn so much from them! Fortunately, point b is making an effort to staff us as a team so we can continue to learn from each other while providing clients with exceptional value.

9. "Company takes culture seriously and is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Princpal
    Current Employee - Princpal

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with the firm for almost 4 years and it is a great fit. What I appreciate most is:
    * Trust in leadership and openness
    * Focus on hiring the right people who will fit well with culture
    * Emphasis on doing what's right for our clients; bringing your A game to work both inside Point B and with clients
    * Balance of work and life -- there is a focus on both
    * Colleagues who are supportive and willing to share expertise

Cons

* Not a big firm, so doesn't have all the bells and whistles that larger consulting firms have

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Keep innovating and growing in new ways that support our mission and vision.

10. "A Very In Touch Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Point B is super dialed in and committed to their employees. Awesome benefits and it is great to work there. Super friendly people and great to work with everyone there.

Cons

One and only con is the what the company specializes in. What I mean by that is most people do not see the company and understand what it is they do right away from their website, social media, advertising, etc.