Point B Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

4.1
Point B CEO Mike Pongon (no image)
Mike Pongon
Pros
Cons
  • "Big internal changes (working through transforming from smaller project management to larger solution based full service consulting firm)(in 7 reviews)

• "No paid vacation, not tons of promotion opportunity(in 6 reviews)

"Down to earth, genuine people working together"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Great culture, transparency and opportunities for growth

Cons

Experience will be highly dependent on your client

Continue reading

"Great Firm and Leadership (but has leaned politically far left in recent years)"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People, work/life balance, opportunities, leadership

Cons

Small company, far left leaning culture, compensation, benefits

June 30, 2020COO

Thank you for taking time to write a review. Yes, we put time, effort, and heart into the causes we care about, such as racial injustice and LGBTQ+ rights. We support the time and empathy our people bring into listening, understanding and moving forward in a meaningful way. We're committed to supporting our foundational value of Choice here at Point B, both by empowering our teams to make a positive impact in their communities as they see fit (such as partnering with local nonprofits to provide meals and support for homeless teens), and empowering employees to choose how they'd like to engage, or not. Point B focuses on supporting people (versus politics or politicians), and as a people-first company will continue to do just that for our people here at Point B, at our customers and in our communities.

"Best culture I have ever worked in with excellent work life balance"

5.0

I worked at Point B full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent caliber of people hired, autonomy, leadership transparency, ability to make a lot of money if staffed and involved in other activities

Cons

Financial risk of being on the bench, complexity of pay model, small incremental raises outside of promotion

4. "Come to get experience and then leave"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Point B full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- chance to get client facing responsibility early - ability to get staffed at large clients and learn really cool businesses - supportive work life culture - no up or out policy - great place to be if you just want a firm to get you staffed and you can do your own thing with minimal oversight

Cons

- big bets not paying off, firm still has a staff aug program manager reputation amongst many clients - too much overhead has led to very high bill rates that aren't competitive anymore compared to typical staff aug IT PM roles - true solution based strategy Consulting projects are far and few between

Continue reading

"Growing Entrepreneurial Company, Excellent Place to Work"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Point B full-time for less than a year

Pros

Outstanding culture and people to work with. Local model unless you want to travel. Independence and ability to 'own' work and career while also being supported by colleagues. Flat organization where you are treated as an equal and your opinions/contributions are valued.

Cons

Health insurance and ESOP overviews felt complicated so be sure to read materials in advance and ask questions.

"Avoid this firm"

2.0
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Point B full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most associates are respectful of work-life balance This firm is only valuable if you are looking for a place to kick back until retirement

Cons

New titles at firm - if you transfer from another firm, expect a demotion in title. To protect employees who are non-billable they ask that full-time billable employees take pay cuts. hard work is not rewarded but rather penalized to share the wealth with people who are currently bench resources. Early career associates given little to no support for development opportunities. New hierarchy gives priority to associates who have been with the firm the longest. "time with firm" is now taken into account for promotions rather than skill level and demonstration of job attributes at next level.

April 10, 2020COO

Thank you for the feedback. As a people business, we put people first. They are the fuel we’ll need when the economy regains its footing; we need to make decisions today to safeguard our ability to respond once this unprecedented disruption is over. We believe the best way to get through this is together as employee-owners. Additionally, it sounds like there are some misconceptions regarding our career development framework. Career Compass is designed to support our people at all stages in their career journey, which includes specific opportunities for early career Point B'ers and also a clear understanding of how to grow skills for the next role. I encourage you to reach out to your 1:1 or directly to me so we can discuss further.

"Great company and culture"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Point B full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, culture, clients and interesting work. Supportive and fun.

Cons

Keeping current and developing new skills might be on your own time and dime

"One of the best companies I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time for more than a year

Pros

Peers and leadership have incredible integrity. Point B always tries to do the right thing. The culture is great too. Definitely a company I am very proud to work for.

Cons

Can sometimes be staffed on a client that is far from where you live...but that just comes with the industry.

"This company has lost its soul"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Point B full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Still a few strong consultants, and pockets of leadership still have heart and conscience

Cons

Just not the place it used to be. PB has sold its soul in the name of growth and sales. Culture has been deprioritized, and hiring in the last few years has been very poor. Delivery quality is an afterthought. Several strong leaders who knew how to inspire and manage people are gone. Now hubris abounds. Transformation to a firm that centers around core domains of expertise makes a lot of sense, but this is a firm that doesn't value or recognize talent and expertise that well. This alone makes for a really questionable future.

November 12, 2019COO

Thank you for your time at Point B and for taking the time to share your thoughts. Just as our customers and the industry are navigating accelerated disruption and change, we have found that Point B must evolve as well. As we look for ways to expand our services, business offerings, and expertise, we’ve been prioritizing our decisions and communications with the goal of keeping our people and processes growing with us. And, like our customers are experiencing, change can be challenging. It sounds like you don’t agree that we’re keeping true to our core values; but it truly is something we care deeply about and think through with each decision we make. We have so many talented and experienced people in our firm, and I empathize with groups or individuals that may feel less prioritized. I take your comments to heart and it will be something we continue to keep front and center. Thank you.

"Too much hype about the culture and values"

I have been working at Point B full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Leadership is personable, especially the COO and some directors - Hours are not crazy - Travel preferences can be negotiated - good wellness/training stipends and trusting expense policy - vacation and leave of absence (see cons) - ESOP and ownership

Cons

- You're screwed if you don't have a supportive 1:1 partner. - Upward feedback is impossible. No formal systems in place for it. Everyone is obsessed with culture/ "how great the people are" that you stick out like a sore thumb if you don't like something. - There's no real commitment towards diversity and it's still in the buzzwords phase. The consulting culture is predominantly white, sporty/extrovert, and there's a clear "type" of person who would feel comfortable in it. - vacation policy needs to be clarified, very perception-based - Micromanagement often disguised as support or structure

October 1, 2019COO

Thanks for sharing. I agree with some of the sentiments you shared! In fact, we are in the midst of developing a communications plan to intake feedback of ALL of our people. Although our firm encourages feedback at any time; it is hard to know how to, and quite frankly, to trust the process. We are working on this. In terms of culture, we have been working hard over the last several years to bring in diverse people and viewpoints via our EDI Program. We are recruiting in new ways and areas that we have not invested in before. We have updated our scorecards to improve pipelines across the firm from new hire to leader roles while holding ourselves accountable on managing pay equity throughout. Lastly, we recently changed our vacation policy, making it even more aligned to our cultural value of giving people choices, so if you have ideas on how to make it less about perceptions, please reach out to our HR Director or myself. I welcome dialogue on this and any of the other topics you raise!

Found 167 reviews