Point B Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2017

3.3

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had previously interviewed with Point B during my MBA, though I did not receive an offer at that time. Despite the rejection, I came away even more excited about the firm; the interviewers were fair, thorough, and transparent. Although the rejection was a tough pill to swallow, it was clear the firm's people first perspective and focus on fit were more than just talk.

After roughly a year working for another consulting firm, I was invited to attend a Point B recruiting event. The evening was thoughtfully planned and provided an excellent opportunity to learn more about the company. There were many Point B'ers on hand, all friendly and eager to share their experiences.

Following the recruiting event, I was invited in for interviews. The conversation was a candid review of my resume and skills to date. There were no surprising questions, though some gaps in my experience became apparent. We had a frank conversation about how my prior work would map to engagements at Point B and the extent to which I would need to seek out development opportunities to close these gaps.

During a later conversation with the hiring manager, we talked openly about what life at Point B was like: mechanics of staffing, evolution of firm culture, development opportunities, and promotion expectations. I felt positively about the conversation and left with the assurance that I would hear within a week.

A few days later, I received a call with the details of my offer. I have now been at the firm nearly a year and could not be happier.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take a few minutes to walk the interviewer through my resume.   Answer Question

Principal Consultant Interview

Interview

Applied on-line, and within a week, received a response from HR stating that my background wasn't a good fit. Although I was a bit disappointed, I really appreciated the quick turn-around. (Some consulting firms don't respond at all). If point b's recruiting process is any indication of how they run the firm's operations (and engage their clients), then I hope to have another opportunity to join the firm in the future.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I attended a recruiting event in Seattle where I learned more about the company's values, mission and work. After submitting my resume, I was contacted via email to schedule an initial phone screen. There were a total of four interviews after the phone screen, scheduled on two separate dates. All interviews were at the Point B office in Seattle. The first interview was with a member of the recruiting team and the second with an Associate. Most of the questions were behavioral, with two case study questions. The third and fourth interviews were scheduled a few days afterwards. The third interview was with the head of Development and consisted of behavioral questions along with one brief case study. The fourth interview was with a Senior Director, and included some culture-fit questions and detailed information about Point B's hiring process.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially very sequential and smooth. Quickly became disorganized near the end. Asked for writing examples for emails, a sales pitch and a target list. No one ever bothered to read or review the first two, as for the list of targets (where I have projects and business contacts) was eventually snarkily described as "a list is just a list". This is where I was certain that I would never accept an offer nor recommend the firm to anyone. <eye roll>.

A fairly lengthy personality test that, again, no one reviews with you. I had also reached out to one of the exec's at the same time that I began a conversation with recruiting. He responded nicely, "let's talk!" That call eventually was scheduled, then promised to be rescheduled. Then nothing. At all. As the face of a company and it's chief brand ambassador, this was foolish. I may have not received an offer, but you've flawlessly minted another person in the consulting world that does not think highly of your firm. Speaking of consulting, I made mention frequently about how I appreciated their lines of business around strategy and project leadership. Only in reality they do mostly staff augmentation work and that wasn't what I wanted to be selling. Other reviews confirm this. My advice to anyone considering this firm is to think twice. Other firms are solving real world problems. These people are looking for people who think and act just like them.

Probably why no one has heard of them in 20 years of being in business.

Interview Questions

• We are super specific about our company culture. How are you going to fit into that?   1 Answer

Jul 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

We appreciate the time our candidates take to go through our interview process as it is a way to determine fit for both parties. Each of the inputs into the interview process (email samples, sales... More

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume online and got an email that same day asking to follow up with the first step of the process which consisted in video recording my first interview. The platform (vidcruiter) worked on and off and I had to switch computers 3 times as I kept losing my audio. I had 1-3 minutes to answer most questions, with 5 to talk about my entire work experience.
    The recruiter wanted this back within a week, but started asking me to submit before the deadline was up. I got it in by the deadline, but then I didn't hear from the recruiter for 2 weeks, whereas the commitment from them was that I would hear back within 1 week. When I finally got an email response, she said she hadn't seen the video, but what the heck, let's schedule an interview anyway.
    During the phone screening she told me I didn't have the experience for the role that I applied for but there was another, completely different, that I could be a good fit for. Without giving me a chance to review the new job description, she started asking questions which I was not able to properly respond to as I didn't know what the position entailed. End of interview.
    Some days later, she called back wanting to have a quick conversation, and then she told me that I didn't have the consulting experience they wanted and needed. I stated that I had applied to another position that I was qualified for, but she said that I didn't have consulting experience for that either... that position did not list a requirement for consulting background so it felt like she was trying to get rid of me.
    Lastly, she said that I had some good stuff in my background and to come back later. Ok bye.

Interview Questions

• What is your approach to engaging stakeholders?   1 Answer

Jul 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value feedback within our culture and see it as an opportunity to get better. In general, we strive to make every candidate experience a... More

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Point B (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

Following employee referral and initial phone screen with human resources leader, I had the opportunity to meet one of the principals of the organization seeking to establish a new branch of the growing consultancy in the Twin Cities. Excellent, conversational-style interview. Well-crafted questions by the interviewer seemed general in nature though designed to really open up conversation on several topics. A great experience overall!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a bit about your experience with professional consulting engagements related to your current, or recent roles.   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is great to hear and very much appreciated! We wish you the best of luck.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Point B in March 2017.

Interview

After submitting my resume online via the Point B website, I was emailed by a recruiter with instructions on how to complete the initial video interview. This video interview was meant to take 20-30 min, but with app crashes, needing to work with IT support, and re-recording responses, I spent over 2 hours on this step. Give yourself lots of time and make sure you pay attention to your lighting, surroundings and sound quality.

After the video interview, the recruiter reached out to me via email and phone to discuss next steps. I found her to be very personable and nice to talk with, but my salary expectations/level of expertise did not match what they were looking for in my market.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your most recent project? What do you enjoy outside of work?   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thanks for your time to interview with us and for writing a review. We will reach out to our video screening vendor to address the crashing issue. I apologize for the challenges with completing this... More

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screen with someone in Recruiting, based on employee referral. Four interviews total for a Senior Associate role in Operations and Process Improvement. 1) 60 min. in-person PB interest/resume review with Senior Director in a Starbucks, 2) 90-min. in-person with an OPI Senior Associate in the Seattle office to simulate/present sample deliverables (value stream maps, current state assessment summary, stakeholder analysis, sample report-out, etc.) based on a case, 3) on the same day as #2, 90 min. in-person with a non-OPI Senior Associate focusing on two real-time cases, approximately 6-8 behavioral questions and discussion around Point B interest and fit and finally 4) 90-min. in-person closing interview with practice director.

The written case and sample deliverables required a decent time investment which was difficult to balance with concurrent work obligations. I ended up needing to reschedule my second interview due to a client schedule change and Point B was extremely accommodating with the schedule change and adjusting the deadline for my written case/sample deliverables.

Interview Questions

• 1. What does success look like at your one-year PB anniversary?
      2. Who is the leader you admire most and what about them makes them so impactful?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Point B (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Point B has a staged interview process. I went through a few extra interviews as I was being hired for a new market (New England) so in all I believe I had touch-points with about 8 people from start to finish. My understanding is that the normal number of interviews is between 4-6 total. All of my interviews were 1-on-1. Some occurred over the phone, one over Skype video, and the rest in person either in the office or over a meal / coffee.

After the first discussions with the hiring team I had my first real interview at a cafe over coffee. The discussion was very casual and seemed to be more of a general fit interview (are we good for each other).

My second interview was a discussion over the phone and was a little more targeted to my experience. After this interview, I was asked to create a work product / writing sample. This was my first time creating something like this and I thought it was a great way to discover and prove skills.

My third interview focused on the writing sample I created and practice specific content, skills, and background (Operations and Process Improvement).

At this point, I was asked to travel to meet with a Senior Market Director, the Practice Director, and a Senior Associate. Interviews were held at the office and over lunch. One of the interviews included a case study and the others were more conversational / behavioral / experience based.

After this I had one more interview on the phone (which I believe was more like a check in).

I received my offer shortly after!

Overall experience was great. Even though I had a large quantity of interviews, I thought the process moved fast enough. People were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join Point B?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Lengthiest interview process in the world ! I have interviewed even with Apple but even they did not have as many rounds as this company did.

If you dont have prior consulting experience then try to stay away because this could be a serious waste of time ..... !

They took 2 phone interviews, 1 90 minute very lengthy case presentation (which took me a week to prepare) on skype, 1 more on site interview of 90 minutes with 2 more case questions and then they called me to Seattle where they had me meet 6 different people...and then rejected me probably because some of the senior decision makers on the final day did not like me so much & cited the reason as me not having consulting experience....WOW !

You knew all along on the 15 days of mine which you gladly wasted that I dont have consulting experience. Almost felt like asking them to repay me for all those lost days. IF THE DECISION MAKERS DID NOT LIKE ME YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED ME TO INTERVIEW WITH THEM FIRST RATHER THAN TAKING ADVANTAGE OF AN INTERVIEW CANDIDATE LIKE THAT AND WASTING DAYS AND DAYS OF THEIR TIME !!!

Interview Questions

• One lenghty case study ( at least a week to prepare and present) several case questions throughout the interview process.....   Answer Question

Feb 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

First thank you for your feedback. Candidate experience is critically important to us at Point B. We consider every candidate an opportunity to grow our network and make friends of the firm. We... More

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Point B (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

My first interview was a phone screen. I'd been recommended by someone within the company so my background was already somewhat understood. After passing the phone screen stage, the real interview process began. Interview 1 was very conversational and was conducted over a lovely lunch. We chatted through my resume, talked about my cultural preferences, and fielded a few questions. Interview 2 was much tougher - the interviewer asked many situational questions that really dug into my PM knowledge. Each interviewer left plenty of time for me to ask questions and gave open and honest responses. Between interview two and three, I was asked to prepare a case study. This was a 1 page response to a brief prompt. Interview 3 questions revolved around this writing sample. Because the prompt was so brief, any response required many assumptions. The interviewer would sometimes ask how I would have changed my response if a particular assumption was tweaked. Lastly, interview 4 focused more on culture and how I could fit into the company's bigger picture. Each interview was conducted by a different person in the market, the final interview being with point b leadership. Because there are so many steps to this process, it can take a while. However, each interviewer asked how far along I was in interviews with other firms. When I did start getting offers from other companies, point b was really flexible and was able to adjust their schedules to make sure I completed the interview process with them around the same time, allowing me to make the most informed decision possible.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer explained a particular project, then asked given that project, what roles would I include in the Steering Committee?   Answer Question