Point B Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had previously interviewed with Point B during my MBA, though I did not receive an offer at that time. Despite the rejection, I came away even more excited about the firm; the interviewers were fair, thorough, and transparent. Although the rejection was a tough pill to swallow, it was clear the firm's people first perspective and focus on fit were more than just talk.

After roughly a year working for another consulting firm, I was invited to attend a Point B recruiting event. The evening was thoughtfully planned and provided an excellent opportunity to learn more about the company. There were many Point B'ers on hand, all friendly and eager to share their experiences.

Following the recruiting event, I was invited in for interviews. The conversation was a candid review of my resume and skills to date. There were no surprising questions, though some gaps in my experience became apparent. We had a frank conversation about how my prior work would map to engagements at Point B and the extent to which I would need to seek out development opportunities to close these gaps.

During a later conversation with the hiring manager, we talked openly about what life at Point B was like: mechanics of staffing, evolution of firm culture, development opportunities, and promotion expectations. I felt positively about the conversation and left with the assurance that I would hear within a week.

A few days later, I received a call with the details of my offer. I have now been at the firm nearly a year and could not be happier.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take a few minutes to walk the interviewer through my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for an associate position in the Seattle, WA office. My resume was submitted through an employee referral, and within one week I had a phone screen with an HR rep. This was followed by a casual first interview with a senior associate in a coffee shop setting - a friendly back-and-forth conversation with me sharing details about my experience and him providing information on the company. The second interview was also with a senior associate in a coffee shop, but of slightly more intensity than the first. The questions were progressively more challenging, including scenario based questions. Then I was invited to submit a writing sample/case study, followed by a third interview with a hiring manager in their office. This was by far the most challenging interview with more situational and case study questions. The fourth and final interview was also with a hiring manager, but this was softer finish with more culture-fit questions.

The interview process was actually pretty enjoyable - I found myself feeling increasingly more excited about the prospects Point B has to offer, and enjoyed being able to share the experiences and competencies that I felt I could bring to the table. The process was lengthy (about 6 weeks overall), due to the fact that you are not able to advance to each successive interview until your current interviewer provides a recommendation to do so.

The written case study was challenging due to its ambiguity, but I have a feeling it was intentionally vague. I imagine they want to see how you as a consultant my handle a similar situation with a client in which you have to make recommendations without having all of the information.

Overall, thumbs up!

Interview Questions

• Describe how you might help a company design a project to improve it's supply chain operations
      Describe the project lifecycle and how you would use project leadership practices for a specific project
      Describe how you would build a marketing expansion plan   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Yorba Linda, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Yorba Linda, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was extremely impressed by the thoughtfulness of the entire process. Each interview was 1:1 which allowed me to get to know the interviewer much better than had the interview been in a group setting. The entire process was guided by two internal HR representatives who provided me web based resources and were available by email and phone to answer any of my many questions. I accepted the position after the standard 4 interviews and one written case study as described by other posters.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Lengthiest interview process in the world ! I have interviewed even with Apple but even they did not have as many rounds as this company did.

If you dont have prior consulting experience then try to stay away because this could be a serious waste of time ..... !

They took 2 phone interviews, 1 90 minute very lengthy case presentation (which took me a week to prepare) on skype, 1 more on site interview of 90 minutes with 2 more case questions and then they called me to Seattle where they had me meet 6 different people...and then rejected me probably because some of the senior decision makers on the final day did not like me so much & cited the reason as me not having consulting experience....WOW !

You knew all along on the 15 days of mine which you gladly wasted that I dont have consulting experience. Almost felt like asking them to repay me for all those lost days. IF THE DECISION MAKERS DID NOT LIKE ME YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED ME TO INTERVIEW WITH THEM FIRST RATHER THAN TAKING ADVANTAGE OF AN INTERVIEW CANDIDATE LIKE THAT AND WASTING DAYS AND DAYS OF THEIR TIME !!!

Interview Questions

• One lenghty case study ( at least a week to prepare and present) several case questions throughout the interview process.....   Answer Question

Feb 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

First thank you for your feedback. Candidate experience is critically important to us at Point B. We consider every candidate an opportunity to grow our network and make friends of the firm. We... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Overall it was a good experience although I did not receive an offer. The reason given seemed completely contrived -- "not enough experience in different industries" -- which is interesting because the job posting specifically asked for experience in IT projects, not a swath of experience in different sectors. Besides, I'm a career software consultant/business analyst/project manager who's worked in IT capacities in various sectors, e.g. Aerospace Mfg, Healthcare, etc. So I don't feel they were being very forthcoming in their reasoning, which is disappointing.

Process-wise:

First was the "screening" interview which wasn't even with a person -- you had to video record yourself answering prompted questions through some online module that was finicky and difficult to use.

Second was a discussion with the recruiter, which was extremely high-level. I was then contacted to schedule an in-person interview with a local senior associate.

Third, the in-person interview, went extremely well. A couple case questions (basically "what would you do if the client wanted to explore building a new information system" or something to that effect) and some more background on the company. My interviewer was super cool, and it got me excited to potentially be a colleague of his.

Fourth was a written case response that would be discussed in the next interview. Pretty open-ended and they just want to see how you talk through project work, how you think about it, etc. I just ran with it not knowing how I was supposed to answer, and it turned out my instincts were right. So the next interview was with a senior associate again. Met up in a public place, just as with the previous interview, and got into a couple case questions again (the specifics escape me). More delving into how you work, how you handle situations, past experiences, etc. Basically a longer version of the previous interview. I thought I really hit it off with this senior associate, as he spent many years as an SAP consultant, which I have a lot of experience in.

That's where it ended for me. The company seems awesome and the people seem awesome, so it was a bit of a bummer not to move forward, especially after countless hours of effort and months of the process culminating in "not enough exposure to different industries." My first senior associate interviewer was solely from a Finance background and had zero IT experience prior to joining the company, so what gives?

Interview Questions

• WRITTEN CASE:
      A major healthcare client has asked you to assess the possibility of outsourcing their desktop management capability to a near shore location. What steps would you take to conduct the assessment? What’s the general outline of your assessment and what type of information would each section include?   2 Answers

Dec 26, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you so much for providing feedback on our process and your interactions with Point B. Your feedback is greatly appreciated for us to learn and grow. Thank you for your feedback on our video... More

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

I had multiple rounds of interviews, beginning with a phone screen by an HR rep in Seattle (I was applying for a role in Phoenix, but was living elsewhere at the time of my application/interview process). I then had three additional rounds of interviews. Two of these interviews were over Skype, and the final one was actually in Phoenix at a Point B office. The HR interview and first round were both general interviews. Getting to know me and learning more about my background and interest in Point B. Of course, I had to answer the questions around "Why Point B", "Why consulting?", "Why Now", which I expected (I came from industry).

The Skype interview that followed this was heavy on case-type situations. My interviewer was thorough and tough, but very open and easy to chat with. Finally, after passing the second Skype interview, I flew to Phoenix to interview in person. That was also a tough interview and the interviewer was hard to read while asking me case questions and generally getting to know me, but I was immediately introduced to the Practice Director for a final conversation and verification that I would be receiving an offer.

Overall, the interview and application process was straightforward. It did not take long (I think maybe a little more than a month or 1.5 months), and the Point B staff in Seattle and Phoenix were extremely efficient in getting me through the process.

Interview Questions

• Why Point B? Why consulting? Why now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Started with a casual phone screening, which led to an in-person interview. 2 more subsequent interviews after that. A lot of personal questions since culture is a very important aspect of the company. Casual interviews in cafe's/restaurants as well as more professional interviews in offices.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Started with a 45 minute phone interview where I was asked about my experience and then about what I was looking for in this role.

From there I was contacted the next week to set up an in person interview with one of their current associates. I was asked a lot about my technical knowledge of the development lifecycle and it seemed as though they were looking for someone with extensive knowledge in that area, rather than just experience in completing projects.

Overall, I thought that the team at Point b was great and fair in their assessment of me through my interview. While I may not have had the skills they were looking for at the time, I had some good takeaways and areas I can focus on for future interviews.

Interview Questions

• In project management, what is the difference between an risk and an issue?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Point B in March 2017.

Interview

After submitting my resume online via the Point B website, I was emailed by a recruiter with instructions on how to complete the initial video interview. This video interview was meant to take 20-30 min, but with app crashes, needing to work with IT support, and re-recording responses, I spent over 2 hours on this step. Give yourself lots of time and make sure you pay attention to your lighting, surroundings and sound quality.

After the video interview, the recruiter reached out to me via email and phone to discuss next steps. I found her to be very personable and nice to talk with, but my salary expectations/level of expertise did not match what they were looking for in my market.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your most recent project? What do you enjoy outside of work?   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thanks for your time to interview with us and for writing a review. We will reach out to our video screening vendor to address the crashing issue. I apologize for the challenges with completing this... More

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Point B (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

My first interview was a phone screen. I'd been recommended by someone within the company so my background was already somewhat understood. After passing the phone screen stage, the real interview process began. Interview 1 was very conversational and was conducted over a lovely lunch. We chatted through my resume, talked about my cultural preferences, and fielded a few questions. Interview 2 was much tougher - the interviewer asked many situational questions that really dug into my PM knowledge. Each interviewer left plenty of time for me to ask questions and gave open and honest responses. Between interview two and three, I was asked to prepare a case study. This was a 1 page response to a brief prompt. Interview 3 questions revolved around this writing sample. Because the prompt was so brief, any response required many assumptions. The interviewer would sometimes ask how I would have changed my response if a particular assumption was tweaked. Lastly, interview 4 focused more on culture and how I could fit into the company's bigger picture. Each interview was conducted by a different person in the market, the final interview being with point b leadership. Because there are so many steps to this process, it can take a while. However, each interviewer asked how far along I was in interviews with other firms. When I did start getting offers from other companies, point b was really flexible and was able to adjust their schedules to make sure I completed the interview process with them around the same time, allowing me to make the most informed decision possible.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer explained a particular project, then asked given that project, what roles would I include in the Steering Committee?   Answer Question