SC Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Intern in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Intern in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, smart employees. The pleasant environment. Socially conscious company. Flexible schedule. Convenient location. Access to higher ups in various departments.

Cons

Honestly don't have any cons re working here. Maybe some people wouldn't enjoy working in Racine, but the s.c. Johnson area was fine.

Advice to Management

None

Jan 23, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for taking time to post about your experience here!

"Associate Brand Manager"

Pros

Great people, strong brands and the company is growing quickly.

Cons

Poor training program. Management doesn't know how to advance people in the company except for a select few they choose based on preference.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to roll out so many changes at one time.

"Changes favor new employees"

Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

World-class brands, global footprint, collaboration with industry-leading suppliers, philanthropy globally and locally, sustainability leadership, strong desire to grow and to remain privately-held.

Cons

Very heavy workloads in some areas. Also, long-time employees feeling less valued. Policy changes of last few years tend to favor younger, newer employees, therefore heightening the feelings that longer-timers are being forgotten. Senior mgmt seems to assume that longer-timers cannot change and evolve with the times.

Advice to Management

Show greater appreciation for longer-time employees. Walk the talk on improving the workload.

Dec 11, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for your review and feedback. We respect and appreciate those who’ve been here a long time and those who are new. We agree its important to have benefits and opportunities to support the... More

"Strong signs of improvement as new strategies begin to take hold"

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has been in a state of change for a number of years, and the new working model is beginning to stabilize and bear fruits. We are now entering the phase where the global marketing campaigns are first-class, and the countries now have the freedom to adapt the toolkits to deliver award-winning brand campaigns. We are testing and learning. SCJ is getting noticed in the market place, and are shares are on the up.

Cons

Is it perfect? No. Processes can still be clunky, and the financial targets are a stretch considering market conditions and the current advancement of cost savings initiatives. Does the system allow you enough freedom to be creative and find solutions in the meantime? Yes. Acquisitions to date have been relatively small to offer scale to the base business, although I’m excited about the future prospects.

Advice to Management

SCJ is an entrepreneurial company at heart, and ultimately that’s what makes SCJ a great place to work. You find ways to make it happen, and beat competition. Now we’ve got plenty of tools to go off and really make a difference.

Dec 11, 2017 – The SCJ Team

We’re glad to hear you’re excited about the future – we are too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on our transformation efforts – it’s great to know we are making progress. And also that we can... More

"Truly a great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First of all, I'm a new employee (approximately 3 months), and used glassdoor when determining to take the job, so would like to continue to pay it forward for others:

- Very affordable insurance options (high/low deductible similar to most companies, but also are able to earn up to $1500 'wellness dollars' to offset premiums or to put to an HSA by meeting specific criteria in a free company provided physical) - this will cover all of my annual insurance premiums for health/dental/vision and then some for the year
    - Strong retirement benefits (match 100% up to 5% of your salary, and also have an additional 5% contribution whether you contribute to your 401k or not).
      * There are also additional profit sharing contributions and extra contributions for highly compensated individuals making over the social security amount
    - Other benefits include summer hours (able to leave work at noon on Fridays between memorial and labor day assuming all work is still being completed), employee facility to work out, play mini golf, swim, or utilize for child care services.
    - Company store where you can buy all SCJ product at a discount.
    - Job growth opportunities

Cons

- Global company, thus you may have the occasional meetings outside of normal working hours depending on your job
    - Privately held, and confidential information is not provided to many in the company (even if the information may impact your work)
       * This is completely understandable given the company doesn't want certain information shared with others in the company or publicly, but can occasionally cause tight turn-arounds and deadlines when the information is finally shared.

Advice to Management

Overall, upper management have been very friendly and welcome different thoughts/ideas. Keep up the great work and continue to empower all employees!

Dec 11, 2017 – The SCJ Team

We’re glad to hear your time at SCJ so far has been positive. Thanks for the review and recommendation!

6. "Sam would not approve!"

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is about the only thing that is good anymore at SCJ.

Cons

LEAN!!! Upper Mgmt. in Racine making decisions for parts of the business that has no idea what the "factory" world really has to deal with. Benefit deductibles are outrageous. Work life balance if you are in Racine are good, but other places, not so much. If you are in Racine, you get a lot of time off, you have your own Scj Bank, work out center, child care and from what I hear quite a bit more.

Advice to Management

This we believe used to be great. LEAN has pretty much ruined the atmosphere and the "family" company feel. Compared to what the company used to do for employees to what they are currently doing is laughable. Go back to the beliefs that your dad had, believe in your people, quite micro managing every aspect of the business.

"Great company overall but too little consistency on direction."

Former Employee - Global Marketing in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Global Marketing in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SC Johnson is a very ethical, trustworthy company that is looking to really make a difference. You can feel proud to work there.

Cons

There are too many strategy and direction changes and it reflects into the overall ambience. It creates unnecessary stress and workload. Management needs to read better the employees un satisfaction and address it.

Advice to Management

Really look into the comments of employees and do not justify them as “circumstantial” or “the result of latest changes”.

Dec 11, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for the review – we appreciate the comments and advice.

"Attempting to make change with no clear direction or plan"

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cash flow is solid, so paychecks come regularly. The company culture (a Family Company) was quite valuable. I'm not sure how much longer that will be around.

Cons

Far too many changes (hires from the outside) within management (and executives) the past few years. Each new person wants to leave his/her mark by instituting change. Unfortunately, all the various changes are left unchecked and do not mesh well with other functions. This leaves problems and issues throughout the entire organization.

Advice to Management

All new managers (and above) that come from the outside...don't bring in the same ideas that most likely had you replaced (or fired) from your previous employer. Understand our culture and make sure you recognize the things that made this company successful for the past hundred-plus years.

Dec 11, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for sharing your feedback, and for highlighting the value in SCJ’s culture and long-term learnings. We’re excited for new ideas too, so we agree with you that there’s a balance to be struck.

"S C Johnson in Changing times"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Waxdale, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Waxdale, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, benefits and work conditions are a plus.

Cons

The company is going through a lot of changes in how they do business. Some of these changes are not communicated well.

Advice to Management

Be honest and up front with employees on the direction the company is going, communicant better with your employees. Treat your employees with respect and they will be better employees, you can still get cases out the door and have fun at work!

Dec 11, 2017 – The SCJ Team

It’s true that as a private, family company, we don’t share as much information as public companies…keeping a few decisions close to the vest is a competitive advantage. But we do absolutely want the... More

"Overall great company."

I worked at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

Great company to learn a lot from. They give you a lot of opportunities to grow your skills and experience. Great global traveling opportunities and they pay for you to go back to school.

Loved the diversity networks there, the company store, the company park, the cafeteria, and the additional company perks. Being close to Chicago is also a nice perk and they offer shuttle & train options to allow people to live in Chicago.

Cons

Managers are placed into Management without any Management experience.
    Project Managers are responsible for leading important projects with no formal Project Management experience.
    Not a lot of diversity in Management and Leadership positions.

Advice to Management

Have a passion for developing your direct reports and improving the overall company culture. Have an open mind to new ideas from your younger/newer employees. Don't forget to have fun and enjoy the small wins throughout the year.

Dec 11, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for providing feedback about working at SCJ. We’re happy to hear you found many opportunities for growth and development. We appreciate the feedback and advice.