SC Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
SC Johnson Chairman and CEO H. Fisk Johnson
H. Fisk Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great place to work and great work/life balance" (in 60 reviews)

• "OK salary and good benefits (for women staff especially)" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "sometimes lack of work life balance" (in 24 reviews)

• "Most of the decision making happens in Racine which slows down progress drastically" (in 31 reviews)

1. "satisfied"

Pros

great culture and friendly staff

Cons

nothing to mention as cons here

2. "Great massive consume company"

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

Good working atmosphere and excellent quality professionals

Cons

Massive consume could became boring after some time

"Not worth the headache"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay
    Summer hours (1/2 day Friday)
    JMBA & Daycare center

Cons

It seems like the uninformed few are calling all of the shots. Some KPIs are so focused that people only care to hit that and not look at the overall affect to the company; while other KPIs are so broad you can't even affect it, yet it accounts for a good portion of your review.

Very cliquey environment. If you want to relive the Highschool glory days, you'd love working here.

Advice to Management

Your HR team has worked hard to hire people with great experiences from outside companies so they can bring their knowledge of what does and does not work to move the business forward. Listen to them - all of them, not just the senior leadership.

Have the balls to make decisions, and stick to those decisions. The only thing worse than making changes that can affect morale is to not make any changes at all, or to make a change half-way and go back. It's confusing for the people, managers, and the HR people that have to try to sort out the confusion.

"Transforming and Investing"

Current Employee - New to Human Resources in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - New to Human Resources in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team is investing in great talent and seem quite open about the transformation underway. I see great effort being made to move in the right direction of elevating consumer experience.

Cons

It's a 131 year old company that feels like a startup in many ways. Some will enjoy that and others may not. The mindset to change is there and the teams are starting to stabilize and drive great ideas.

"Okay"

Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay is good for the area. Co-workers are inspiring, smart and very hard working. Company store is a fun perk, and the JMBA is an awesome benefit if living in Racine. Medical Center is a great plus, and nurses are knowledgeable and very friendly. Very strong ethical practices and policies that make me proud of SCJ.

Cons

The company does not embrace telecommuting. The policy is rigid and has some bizarre requirements. Major restructuring every few years leaves people confused and unsettled.

Functional spending has been cut so low it's hurting more than helping. There is no relief in sight, but it's very hard to do our work when we have such little flexibility. It also seems to vary largely between departments - some still seem to have an inflated budget for events and travel, while others have nothing.

Advice to Management

Don't take some employees' performance issues out on creating a convoluted telecommute policy for everyone. Realize that with so many campuses scattered around Racine, your employees are already communicating mostly over Skype. Why do they need to be in their offices to do this, and furthermore, why is there not more flexibility between the Chicago and Racine campuses? I know people in Racine that would be so happy to work in Chicago and people in Chicago who miss Wisconsin.

Most people don't live in Racine, and waste time commuting. I understand that Frank Lloyd Wright is center to SCJ, but the location is a major con for attracting and retaining employees.

Push managers more to embrace our corporate policies. My manager doesn't like us to work from home because she lives in Racine and can't. Attitudes like this that are allowed to persist do more damage than good.

Apply for Top Workplaces in the US. Great that you do it across the globe, but I imagine the only reason we're waiting here is because we know we can't attain it now.

"Not a place to take your career"

Former Employee - Former Experienced Professional in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Former Experienced Professional in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

JMBA childcare center
    Summer hours
    Unique family history

Cons

I've watched really strong external talent come into this organization with aspirations to drive positive change and they have been completely stifled by the mentality that "we are doing it this way because we always have". This includes myself. Where I was once passionate about the work I did, coming to this company snuffed out any feeling of accomplishment or worth. Folks with close personal ties with senior leaders get the opportunity and thus the promotion. It's a game and completely disingenuous. I left this company feeling fatigued and sapped of passion.

Advice to Management

I question whether Fisk can really see what's going on. He's hardly visible to employees. People respect his family's legacy, but it's not enough to carry the company forward. My advice would be to streamline priorities, ensure you have the right leadership to back them and that they are properly developing talent to see success in future generations.

"An Example Of Failed Leadership"

Former Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The family legacy & focus on the environment.

Cons

The majority of senior leadership appears inept and unwilling to listen. Professional bullying seems to be the behavior of choice by many senior leaders. The focus is super short term, as it almost felt like it turned into a ‘flavor of the day’ mentality. The rate of change and how change is being managed is wreck-less. Decision rights are unclear and decision making is painfully slow.

Advice to Management

As step 1, I suggest that Fisk take a good hard look at Product Supply. Most of the recent (senior leadership) hires from Kraft are acting in a manner inconsistent with SCJ values. These folks are acting in a ruthless manner, making work-life miserable for many and driving top talent out of the organization. People have a choice in where they work! I sure hope Fisk recognizes soon what’s occurring, and takes steps to restore morale and autonomy for the talent that is still there.

Organizations can achieve results while respecting their employees, actually, if you put people first, the results will follow!

"Poor Leadership"

Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fitness center, summer hours, committed employees

Cons

Poor leadership (directors and above), lack of ethics in leadership/HR

Advice to Management

Originally felt the CEO was unaware, but quite frankly, I believe he reads social media and am certain that he has seen what has been posted on Glassdoor. Start respecting the employees who got you where you are today before there are none left, as the leadership you have in place is driving the company into the ground. You have VPs getting bonuses on cost savings. These same things are driving cost for the company if you look at them holistically. Finally, start promoting people within the company again (especially those from the US as has been lacking since transformation).

Jun 27, 2018 – The SCJ Team

We’re sorry you feel unsatisfied with your experience. We review and consider all feedback received.

"Far from the once "Top 10 best places to work" company it was known for😟"

Former Employee - Associate in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Associate in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard working people in the factory and office that still care about the company. The employees are so passionate about making the company better. Employees try hard to do whatever it takes because they have hope the family will come to their senses about the radical changes they have made and continue to make. Compensation is average if you know the right people and work in the right department.

Cons

The owner and his leadership team "Only associate"with the higher level office people. They barely come out of their ivory towers to associate with their teams or other hard working people executing all the changes that they think should work to save millions. When the owner and his team decide to talk to the employees, it is always a staged arrangement that appears very disingenuous. They pick the same employees to be their mascots during these staged appearances. The new leaders "Don't" have any people skills.They may be business savvy to save a dollar or two, but they are destroying the backbone of the company. The negative effects on moral is going to take years to recouporate from and the owner does not even see it! Or does not care!
    Again what made this company a great place to work for over a 100 Years is now lost! It's terrible and so sad that all this greatness has been destroyed. Employees can't figure out if the CEO does not see it or maybe doesn't even care.
    Leaders in this company are now mostly hired from publicly held companies where the cut throat Enron culture is ok. They have some how convinced the current CEO that he has spoiled, ungrateful employees that need to be happy they have a job. New Managers say to their teams that they should realize laying off employees to adjust the business and continuously readjusting is the way it is at "other" companies. We have lost so many people because of all the new blood in this company. The culture this company prided itself on was sustained by happy employees who loved the company . In the past the family company invested in every single employee from the Sr leadership to the person cleaning toilets. That is why working at this company was once awesome! That is why it stood out across the globe as one of the only companies that really cared about their people. That is no longer the culture. It has become just like any other company. The history you read about this company is gone. Recently they announced that they have to cut jobs to save money. They tell the employees who have to execute global work they can't travel. Yet the leadership teams are having large conferences in Disneyland and travel all over the globe during the same time they are telling people your job is eliminated so we can save money.that is a kick in the stomach! And a message to others remaining. We really don't care just shut up and do your work!

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach because you are not respected if you don't. **Care about your employees like you would want to be treated yourself or you would want your own family member treated in a job.? You can cut costs and still lift up the remaining teams that did not get the axe.

Jun 27, 2018 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

"This is so short term"

Current Employee - Director in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close to the freeway and train, flexible attendance for me, decent compensation and benefits, but not so good that you can't find a better compensation somewhere else.

Cons

I loved my time in marketing, but that was 10 yrs ago. New company strategy is to cut costs and encourage attrition by putting unrealistic expectations on respected workers, reducing benefits, and showing key charismatic leaders the door. They have created a culture of fear, at least one great person leaves every month. Performance ratings not based on results or efforts, is based on acting nice, talking nice, and nodding your head up & down with a smile - to the right person (thankfully for my kids, I'm good at). Finally, the family is starting to wake up ("this is the beginning of the end"), but sadly the culture and it’s reputation is beyond repair. Within a couple of years, they will have no choice but to sell to a venture capitalists gutting the place (ie. kraft) to keep their equity (after all, there is a reason they're billionaires).

Advice to Management

Your plan is to get more cash out of the place for only a couple more years, but your actions have great consequences to so many people. Maybe things are this way at Pepsi, Kraft, and 'everywhere else'.... but people see through you. I'll hang on with you, but I am actively looking for another company - before my career gets tainted from association with SC Johnson.

Jun 27, 2018 – The SCJ Team

We’re sorry you feel this way. Although we’ve gone through some organizational and process changes, what hasn’t changed is how much we care about having a great company culture, and our commitment to... More