SiriusXM Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
SiriusXM CEO James E. Meyer
James E. Meyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Positive work environment with great benefits" (in 23 reviews)

• "Good benefits, great work environment" (in 20 reviews)

1. "Response Specialist"

Current Employee - Response Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at SiriusXM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours . You literally get to choose your own schedule. Open 24 hours

Cons

The security acts like the Police

2. "Its ok; could be ALOT better!"

Current Employee - Response Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at SiriusXM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Easy job
    * Good benefits
    * PTO

Cons

*Small annual raises
    * no flexible schedules
    * hard work goes unnoticed
    * managers are not always knowledgeable or process and procedures
    * No matter how long you have been with the company they will let you go over small things

Advice to Management

Listen to your agents and value their hard work. Not only should agents hard work be valued but SHOW the agents you value them .

3. "Good company"

Pros

Good company with good benefits

Cons

No clear career growth plan

4. "Associate producer sports"

Current Employee - Associate Producer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- bosses are pretty easy going
    - everyone is pretty friendly

Cons

- pay isn't great
    - doesnt seem to be a lot of upward movement

5. "Salary"

I worked at SiriusXM full-time

Pros

It was good and competitive.

Cons

I worked for just one year..my team was good and I have nothing to point out.

6. "Producer"

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to meet a lot of cool people and there was a good work/life balance.

Cons

Not a lot of room for creativity.

Advice to Management

Don't get locked into what works. Strive for better.

7. "Top performing part-timers are advancing... with your rival companies, due to lack of opportunities for growth."

I have been working at SiriusXM part-time

Pros

This review is totally constructive. There are competing companies that may have better opportunities. If you've had your eyes set on working for SiriusXM for a long time and have specific goals you want to accomplish, read through this review, weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for YOU. That scenario is mainly why I've remained here. It also speaks to how well our company's brand is respected on the outside!

My immediate team is fantastic to work with. Everyone in our group supports each other no matter what, and if someone needs help with a project we always assist each other. When one of us succeeds or gets a promotion, we celebrate that win together. We are all young and struggling, so we understand each other like a family would. Backstabbing and manipulation of any kind is not tolerated in my specific group.

Regardless of whether you work in promotions, programming, marketing or another department part-time, this is a great position for someone fresh out of college. You can gain as much experience here as you are ready to push for. Nearly everyone around the office hallways comes off as friendly enough to approach with questions, so even if you are interested in a department, channel or project that isn't relevant to your current position, you can flex those networking skills and show colleagues who you are and what your passions are.

Cons

Mobility of any kind is extremely difficult, whether upward or lateral. Sirius and XM merged in 2008, and in the years that followed, older Millennial and Gen X employees filled the open positions. Several of those employees are not leaving the company or retiring any time soon, which means the ladder of upward mobility is in a gridlock. That becomes a problem for part-timers, who can easily get stuck in the same position for several years without career growth. There is only a certain amount of time this can last before the part-time employee has to leave for a financially sustainable opportunity. This hurts everyone in the company. Part-timers are caught between a rock and a hard place. Do you stay at a dream company and hope for the best, or do you let your empty wallet lead you out the door before you have the chance to accomplish what you really want? Upper management loses some serious talent to competitors and then must spend the time, money and resources it takes to rehire and train a new staff of part-timers in an endless cycle.

For the same reasons listed above, lack of lateral mobility brings down overall morale. At least once per week I overhear someone in the office saying, "Person A and Person B should switch jobs", and honestly, those two people just might love to have each other's positions. Consideration for an employee's strengths should always be acknowledged in job placement. When every employee is working where they can truly shine, it will show significantly in the end product.

The lack of sustainability in a part-time position is no exaggeration. Granted, it's not supposed to be a full-time gig, but the lack of proper compensation combined with the lack of promising job prospects is a double whammy.

From what I've heard trickle down the grapevine, some departments have cattiness and immaturity (think high school), but take that information with a grain of salt. Most companies have their bad apples, but my experience overall does not reflect this view. This is simply what I have heard from multiple people on several occasions.

Advice to Management

This review is completely constructive because I want to love and respect this company moving forward, and I genuinely want to help you do better. I honestly do. I may not know all of the inner workings of upper management, but in my short years of working here it didn't take me too long to notice the aforementioned holes in our business model.

My suggestion is if you cannot afford to lose your top performers (whether part-time or full-time), lure them to hang in there a bit longer by rewarding their loyalty. In my years of part-time work, the pattern has only gone in the opposite direction. Transportation vouchers and increased hourly wages per year of company loyalty would be great goals to aim for. Instead, it seems the reverse is happening. Part-timers have to pay for everything out of pocket (where is the money supposed to be coming from?), and no matter how obedient and respectful the employees are, they still must deal with being regularly grilled about the maximum number of hours that can be worked. We know the rules, and we are following them. This style of communicating with your employees is sending a toxic signal from the top of the organization to the bottom. Even verbal praise can be tough to come by. People want to be treated like humans instead of numbers. Our business model relies on subscribers. Every time you have employee turnover, you are at risk of your reputation being diminished due to employee treatment. I follow our quarterly numbers. They are not too shabby. Every time you choose the cost effective approach over the human approach, you are lowering the caliber of talent AND personality you hire. Don't forget that your part-time employees may be the first ones to welcome an A-list celebrity to the office or pick up the phone for a subscriber or a client. We are the first voices heard and first impressions given of who we are as a company. I know of an employee working in programming who has had subscribers call in to their assigned radio show just to say, "I am so sorry your host disrespects you on the air. You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work!" This employee was treated more respectfully by a customer than by some colleagues. When I heard that information, it spoke volumes to me. Please treat every single one of your employees properly so company loyalty and respect can remain a two-way street. View your young, innovative employees of 2018 as assets you need to retain through 2028, 2038 and beyond so we can help you overcome the next technological advancements in media consumption and come out the other side as industry leaders.

Call me naive, but I still believe in this company. Given my experiences so far, I'll give you a solid C, but you have every resource in your hands to be a strong A+. It is not too late to make changes that will help everyone in the organization. Don't let us all down. I will update my review if I see improvement.

8. "Security"

Former Employee - Security Guard in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Washington, DC

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment, friendly people.

Cons

Management knows nothing about facilities, mailroom operations nor do they have the right tools to assist the mailroom. Alot of the admins try to get the mailroom and the shuttle bus drivers in trouble over alot of situations that cannot be controlled such as traffic and tardiness of couriers.

Advice to Management

Put the right people in place and interact more with employees.

9. "Fun Firm"

I worked at SiriusXM full-time

Pros

Good benefits, great team atmosphere, good hours, private events

Cons

Hard to advance in the company

10. "Great place to work"

I worked at SiriusXM full-time

Pros

Flexible
    Great pay and benefits

Cons

Working 24/7 either in office or coordinating with team via phone, email which must always be answered upon receipt