Snap Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Snap CEO Evan Spiegel
Evan Spiegel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food with option to dine out at restaurants (in 22 reviews)

• Diversity of people who work there and benefits (in 4 reviews)

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have worked @ Snap for nearly 3 years.
    I love working here. Snap is a very fast paced office with tons of growth opportunity and a high upside in overall compensation. I will definitely stay my 4 years, minimum.

Lean teams, so you learn a lot and have a major impact on what you're building.
    Our Sr. Leadership is STRONG. Jerry Hunter and Co. are very ambitious with what they're building and I'm excited to be a part of that team.

The vision of what we've built has changed the way people communicate and consume media. That's pretty cool.

Cons

Snap isn't a well oiled machine, which is what attracted me to the company in the first place. I was tired of being simply a high performing number at a large tech company.

Snap is not as structured as Google or Amazon. We're in a growth phase between a scrappy unicorn start up and an impactful public company. Not everything is perfect, but the people that work here care about the company and are working very hard to improve the inconsistencies.

Advice to Management

Google does a really good job of showing their employees that they appreciate all of the hard work/hours you've put in. A little bit of appreciation can go a long way.

"All that glitters is NOT gold"

I worked at Snap full-time

Pros

In my exit interview, I was asked what I would miss the most about Snap and my honest answer was: the people.

It was a pleasure being surrounded by such smart, hardworking, unique, caring during my time at Snap. Working alongside people that have come from such diverse backgrounds, with such rich work histories & experience - that was a really amazing experience. It was understood that we all were in a situation that we did NOT sign up for, but the unity, camaraderie, and persistent hard work was really heartwarming.

I'm not so sure if that positivity remains anywhere in Snap's current state today, but to any new hires joining - please seek out whatever is left of a positive hardworking and motivated employee base.

Cons

The Snap culture & work environment truly brings out the worst in people. During my time at Snap, I experienced new people joining my team, as well as other orgs across the company. I would say their first 4-6 weeks are driven by adrenaline and whatever false allure they were brainwashed with during orientation. After that adorable period passed for many (and myself), I witnessed the true demise of a human being. Those fresh, excited, confident, motivated, passionate employees that first started completely evolve into over-worked, underpaid, exhausted employees.

It was shocking to see such a lack of empowerment and enablement at this company. And I blame this all on management, for preaching a "kind, creative, and smart" culture but literally embodying the exact opposite. And in terms of your manager being able to invest in your growth and performance - this will not happen, because he/she 1) should probably not even be in a manager position and/or has no capacity/time to invest in your growth. That is not, and will not ever be a priority.

The top-down culture at Snap is truly toxic. If you have a voice, opinion, suggestion, recommendation - good luck finding an environment to actually be heard. This company does not really encourage true genuine feedback.

Advice to Management

Remove yourself in order to save the company.

"The app is fun, not the job"

I worked at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay
    Some good perks
    Throwing millions dollars parties every 3 month

Cons

Managers have no experience
    Awful culture

"I hope they figure it out"

I worked at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Exciting company with the opportunity to become a major player
    -Innovative product
    -Great benefits
    -Decent Perks

Cons

-Culture and work environment are in complete disarray
    -Highly political environment
    -Inexperienced leadership
    -High pressure and unrealistic goals bring out the worst in people
    -Completely ineffective HR

Advice to Management

Focus on fixing the culture and empowering the right folks to lead key functions. The current broken culture, which rewards political maneuvering and throwing others under the bus will be the downfall of the company unless fixed. Categorically cease to allow the kind of inappropriate and abusive behavior to which I and many other colleagues were subjected not only to promote a working environment where smart people can succeed, but also to protect shareholder value at the risk of a major scandal emerging. Find the right leadership with true operating experience, and empower them to overhaul the business. “Do more with less” and “out-innovate the competition” are execution plans, not strategies. The company has so much potential if it can just figure out how to get out of its own way.

"Weak Management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Venice, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Venice, CA

I worked at Snap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, and passionate user base.

Cons

The Engineering leadership is really week, can't stand up to arbitrary whims of an inexperienced CEO.

"The Culture is Broken. The Morale is Sinking."

I worked at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) You will meet some of the brightest and kindest co-workers in your journey. They are incredibly creative and fun to be work with. For many employees (especially those who are new), they come in motivated and ready to change the way we see the camera and the way we communicate.
    2) Although it's slowly diminishing, there is still high potential for the company. The world is truly Snap's oyster and if they turn the ship, it can shape how we create content, how we communicate and how we engage with the social world.
    3) The benefits are among the best I've seen. Several cafeteria options in Venice and ample options in the form of Meal Cards elsewhere. Health insurance is 100% paid for. Fully loaded kitchen with plenty of snacks, drinks, beer, cold brew, etc. Compensation is relatively generous depending on your position (not all). And beyond that, there are plenty of smaller things in your benefits package that many don't take advantage of -- One Medical membership, gym discounts, etc. They have a structure that wants to promote kindness to all of its employees.
    4) CEO is a true visionary.

Cons

Sounds like a lot of good stuff, right? Each of the above points have a counterpoint that makes many things null and void.
    1) Some of the brightest and kindest co-workers in your journey will be passed over for promotions and raises. They will be taken advantage of. Often times, especially in the past few years, they will be let go. There are many employees who come in motivated and energized, competent to change the way things are done. But by the time you're leaving Snap, their energy is drained, their vision is beaten down, and their voice is rendered mute. I've seen Snap slowly drain the life and the soul of some of the smartest minds in the business. They work nights and weekends for a project only for the executive leadership to make a U-turn. Meanwhile, I've seen some of the least deserving employees be given promotions because they simply know how to play the political game very well. This is true for many companies, but trust me when I say it is especially true here.
    2) Potential is all that is.. potential. Unrealized potential is a frustrating morale killer. Another review mentioned this before, but it is not a fast-moving company. It is fast-moving in the sense that exec leadership may surprise you with new product developments that will force you to cram your work. But it is slow-moving in terms of your ideas (any ideas below the highest exec levels) getting in the pipeline. Often times, Snap is a place that moves 2 steps forward, 4 steps back. I honestly hope this changes. Nothing would make me happier to see leadership turn the ship and realize that potential. There was a reason I signed up years ago.
    3) The benefits are great, but as you will soon find out in many tech companies and start-ups... great perks are often a band-aid to cover up much more cancerous issues underneath. The culture and morale of a team is built from the top-down. Unfortunately, Snap's culture is built on secrecy, belittlement, threatening emails and ignorance. Often times, their programs and their perks do not fix the true issues of their company.
    Example 1: Following criticism of tech world's lack of diversity, everyone had to attend a mandatory diversity training course. But if you check out the true decision makers... well, you can do your own research. Changes in diversity and inclusion start from the top and start with how you hire those in positions of power.... not with a 1-hour course.
    Example 2: They talk about family being an important part of Snap's culture. They even have Make-a-Wish programs that help certain employees in deep need. But on the day-to-day, they are a company that outwardly has said does not believe in work-life balance. That is not just denied. That is amplified. In addition, I've seen co-workers whose spouses and mothers were escorted out of the office like they were fired (for security reasons). Soooo... family is super important except work is more important and we will walk them out without dignity or respect.
    4) As the company grows, more people must be put in positions of leadership and power. Unfortunately, several of these leaders are unavailable, unqualified and awful people managers. Most importantly, several leaders don't have real power to change anything. They hear the ideas and the complaints of their direct reports, only to scream that feedback into an abyss that highest levels of upper management does not hear or respect.
    A few other notes:
    -- People do not trust the HR department here.
    -- There is no logic to the decision-making here or little transparency in the decision-making.
    -- I'll echo another review here: Contractors beware.
    -- Job security is always low.
    -- Exceptions are always made for those in power. They want to appear to have a flat structure, but it's more like a plateau, a true disconnect from the top and everyone else.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself if the culture is broken and if the morale is low. Ask those outside your inner circle, away from the yes-men and yes-women to see if they believe the culture is broken and if the morale is low. Since there is a culture of fear in your company, make sure that you are asking them in the right way.

Afterwards, ask yourself who is responsible for that low morale and that broken culture. If you want to blame those below you and keep rotating them out of the company, sure. But do some soul searching and ask if maybe it's the upper management who has failed to lead the right way. And then, don't just acknowledge it to yourself. Change the way things are done. Show more humility. Do your best to close the divide from the top and everyone else.

"Do not work here. Management is the worst."

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits: meal card for use at restaurants, unlimited vacation, incredible surrogacy benefits. Many other great benefits. And some lovely brilliant coworkers.

Cons

A penchant for hiring sociopaths in management positions. You will never be acknowledged for your work. Cut-throat environment and workplace politics make managers act in awful ways, and promote unethical behavior, e.g. your managers will sabotage you and take credit for your work, especially if they are under any pressure themselves. This culture emanates from the top down. You will never receive any visibility or acknowledgement for your work. There is always a reorg going on. Policies change daily. Everyone (even HR!) will tell you something to your face and then act differently behind your back.

Advice to Management

Truly, you are awful shady lying unethical people. Acknowledge that and fix it.

"Not a data driven company"

I have been working at Snap full-time

Pros

Young, smart, fun company to work for. Silicon valley atmosphere outside of the Bay Area.

Cons

Decisions are not driven by data. Most of the decisions come from the top without any actual customer validation/feedback. Siloed, compartmentalized information all around.

Advice to Management

Improve transparency and communication. Involve user feedback, focus groups, etc into product design decisions.

"Too little too late"

Pros

Interesting projects, smart people, innovate culture

Cons

Inexperienced mamagement, bad decision making, negative environment

Advice to Management

Culture is an issue. Fix it.

"Great Benefits, Unqualified Leaders"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits that are hard to beat, free lunch, free breakfast 3 days a week, free healthcare

Cons

Snap is known for having bad HR and unqualified leadership. I experienced this first-hand during the year I spent with the company. HR openly speaks about other employees and their performance on the phone in the open-space environment, they can not keep matters that don't involve leadership confidential (even when asked to both verbally and in writing). Additionally almost every person in a leadership position in the company is not experienced enough or qualified to be in that position.

As a woman, I found out my male counterparts were making more money than me (I have a master's degree when none of them do). When this matter was brought up to HR it was flat out ignored and instead a promotion was promised and dangled over my head until the working environment became so unjust and hostile that I quit.

The culture is also very "bro-y." It is clear that men are valued more in this company than women are.

Advice to Management

Have integrity.