Snap Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Snap CEO Evan Spiegel
Evan Spiegel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free food with option to dine out at restaurants" (in 27 reviews)

• "You create your work/life balance" (in 6 reviews)

Cons

"Best Place to Work and Be Yourself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snapchat is a product that encourages building relationships with your close friends through the camera, creativity, spontaneity, being in the moment and being yourself. This is translated within the company as well. Snap and the CEO encourage employees to be their true selves and to build on your strengths. When you can be yourself, you do your best work.

Cons

I'm still surprised at the lack of streamlined processes we have internally here. It seems like a lot of case-by-case scenarios. I think strides are being made, so I'm optimal of the future. There's also not a whole lot of direction for career development but I think there are opportunities to take that into your hands and propose them.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee concerns and be transparent with your response and how changes will be made to address them.

2. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hight pay, result oriented manager

Cons

company is getting too big

3. "Operations"

I worked at Snap full-time

Pros

Good perks- free food, fun events

Cons

No time for work/life balance

Advice to Management

Create a more healthy and friendly team environment

"Great place to learn"

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snap is the type of environment where there are endless opportunities to challenge yourself and build new skills. I was able to grow into a new career by stepping up whenever there were new challenges to take on, and then was recognized/rewarded for it by my team's leadership. Yes, all of this means you have to be adaptable to rapid change, but in the end I feel that I've learned more in a few months at Snap than I would in a year+ at a different company.

Cons

It feels like this is starting to change, but a lot of the leadership that was in place for the past 1-2 years was not effective in getting us to the next phase of the company. It's time to prioritize bringing in new leadership that has extensive experience with companies of our size/stature so that we can make smart decisions for the long term.

Advice to Management

It feels like there's more transparency and direction coming from leadership these days — please keep it up so that the whole company can feel confident that we're working towards the same goals!

5. "Great!"

I have been working at Snap full-time

Pros

Friendly people, good work culture

Cons

No huge cons that stick out

"Love my team & the mission"

I have been working at Snap full-time

Pros

The people. I work with incredibly intelligent, creative and kind people. I've never felt more supported and cared for in my professional life. My coworkers constantly inspire me to work harder, take risks and not be so afraid of failure. The Snap fam is real!

The benefits. Both human and pet-wise. While Snap itself isn't "dog friendly", Snap offers several options to help me provide my dog with excellent care when I'm at work.

Career development. My job has transformed tremendously since I started at Snap based on skills I wanted to develop or projects I showed interest in. I feel like I'm honing my skill set on a daily basis and look forward to growing my career within Snap.

Cons

Distributed offices. I have to make a concerted effort to interface with other teams and get to know people beyond my department. This also causes a lack of information sharing and I'd like to understand more about what other departments are working on.

Advice to Management

Take control of the narrative! We are doing amazing things at Snap - let's make more of an effort to show that to the world instead of letting everyone else make assumptions about us.

"Kind, creative, smart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly kind-hearted people, long term vision and the willingness to make product decisions based on the good of the users and society (not just short term profit). Awesome benefits and challenging work.

Cons

There is so much cool stuff going on here, but it's all confidential. Also, we need to do a better job of how we are portrayed in the media. Working here is soooo much better than I ever could have imagined given the publicly available information at the time.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of communicating our values and product plans to the public.

"Snapchat is for friends"

I worked at Snap (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very competitive compensation packages
    Great benefits (best free food of all tech companies, great insurance, cool parties etc..)

Cons

Friendship and blind loyalty are appreciated and rewarded more than anything else.
    As a result, the company is managed by mostly incompetent people, with little to no experience in the industry, their role, or management. They are all in place because of personal relationships and friendship with Evan or other leads, which makes them unmovable. They also don’t accept any contrarian opinion. If you disagree with leadership it doesn’t matter how well you can articulate your opinion, or how data driven it is. You end up leaving (either voluntarily due to frustration, or because you get pushed out).

Advice to Management

Get rid of most leaders, bring in people with valuable experience, and empower them to make decisions and espress opinions.

"awesome place"

I worked at Snap full-time

Pros

Great company, great culture, great perks, great location

Cons

ceo 1B equity bonus @ IPO seemed a little excessive

10. "If you like the app you will love the company"

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super creative company with really smart & nice co-workers. If you love the app then you know it always changes--working here is like that. After two years you will feel like you've worked here for 8 years for 4 different companies. Definitely not stagnant. I feel like work is fun every day. I cannot believe how much I have learned here and how many new skills I have now.

Cons

If you don't handle change well you are not going to like it.

Advice to Management

We get beat up in the press all the time--hire a PR expert who can correct some of the untruths out there. This is a great company with great people!