Snap Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Snap CEO Evan Spiegel
Evan Spiegel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food with option to dine out at restaurants (in 14 reviews)

• Venice is the best office place I can think of, really enjoy the work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hectic (in 8 reviews)

• Slow moving: Any reviewers that say Snap is fast-paced are disillusioned or lack experience (in 5 reviews)

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have worked @ Snap for nearly 3 years.
    I love working here. Snap is a very fast paced office with tons of growth opportunity and a high upside in overall compensation. I will definitely stay my 4 years, minimum.

Lean teams, so you learn a lot and have a major impact on what you're building.
    Our Sr. Leadership is STRONG. Jerry Hunter and Co. are very ambitious with what they're building and I'm excited to be a part of that team.

The vision of what we've built has changed the way people communicate and consume media. That's pretty cool.

Cons

Snap isn't a well oiled machine, which is what attracted me to the company in the first place. I was tired of being simply a high performing number at a large tech company.

Snap is not as structured as Google or Amazon. We're in a growth phase between a scrappy unicorn start up and an impactful public company. Not everything is perfect, but the people that work here care about the company and are working very hard to improve the inconsistencies.

Advice to Management

Google does a really good job of showing their employees that they appreciate all of the hard work/hours you've put in. A little bit of appreciation can go a long way.

2. "Love this company"

Former Employee - Entrepreneur
    Former Employee - Entrepreneur

I worked at Snap part-time

Pros

Easy app to work with

Cons

Im not a fan of their updates all the time

"Great Benefits, Unqualified Leaders"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits that are hard to beat, free lunch, free breakfast 3 days a week, free healthcare

Cons

Snap is known for having bad HR and unqualified leadership. I experienced this first-hand during the year I spent with the company. HR openly speaks about other employees and their performance on the phone in the open-space environment, they can not keep matters that don't involve leadership confidential (even when asked to both verbally and in writing). Additionally almost every person in a leadership position in the company is not experienced enough or qualified to be in that position.

As a woman, I found out my male counterparts were making more money than me (I have a master's degree when none of them do). When this matter was brought up to HR it was flat out ignored and instead a promotion was promised and dangled over my head until the working environment became so unjust and hostile that I quit.

The culture is also very "bro-y." It is clear that men are valued more in this company than women are.

Advice to Management

Have integrity.

4. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very talented people on team.
    - Cutting Edge technology to work on

Cons

- Fear of layoffs
    - Office space keep on moving

"Trust & Safety"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Snap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, wellness initiative, flexible schedule

Cons

Open office layout and not many outdoor spaces for breaks

Advice to Management

Transparency and efficiency

"The worst place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Snap is hands down the worst company I have ever been a part of in my entire career. There is no support and it’s a total sink or swim type environment. Employees are overly competitive with peers and it’s truly an environment where you need to fend for yourself completely. Although you will get to work with a lot of super smart people, they are mostly entitled, arrogant and egotistical. This type of behavior among employees is unfortunately very common. There’s a HUGE lack of female leadership which is always alarming. It’s truly a men’s club at the executive level where everyone is trying to get in, and will stab anyone in the back to do so. It’s a fear based operation that leaves employees being in a constant state of uncomfortableness and stress.

The one real pro of working here is, as i mentioned above, is there are a lot of super smart people here that are visionary for what the future holds in terms of how communication and mobile advertising are evolving.

Cons

Working here is actually like being a part of a terrible cult where you’re expected to give your entire life to working for this operation. Really think twice before joining and especially if you have to relocate to the LA area.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible Fast Paced Environment where those that can push themselves to exceed are rewarded for their efforts. This is a company that experienced incredible hyper growth and is currently re-examining itself to realize its potential and fix things that have been overlooked in the short-term. As a individual that is still relatively junior, the environment is rich with extremely knowledgeable and friendly professionals, which has resulted in an incredible learning oppurtunity for me.

Cons

This company is definitely on the "Secretive" side of information being shared throughout the company, and there are large projects being worked on across the board that most employees are not even aware of. This lack of transparency is disheartening and really acts to create individualized silo's within the company depending on your profession. In essence, an example would be of those in "Sales" having an incredibly limited view and understanding of the scope and scale of Engineering Projects that are currently underway. In addition, there are a huge number of "Junior" Managers that have incredibly limited management experience who are taking on experienced Teams that have a high expectation of management, and the disconnect between what is provided and what is expected is jarring.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and train Junior Managers to make better, more strategic decisions. Allow better feedback devices so that Management can listen and incorporate advice from more Senior Members of their Teams

"I Really Wanted To Like It Here"

Current Employee - Engineer in Venice, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Venice, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Competitive compensation packages (but once you’re in you’ll understand why)
    - Great HQ location

Cons

- Lack of transparency on strategy and vision - You don’t have to be Facebook or Amazon, but you have to have some sort of competitive advantage. Separating social and media aren’t going to cut it. There are a bunch of apps that already do that. This is a huge gap for a company that’s supposed to be worth billions. I have yet to see anything that suggests that there’s any type of long term strategic planning. I could barely get teams to show me a roadmap for the quarter and it was needed for my job! As a result Snap:

- Can’t keep top talent - Top talent wants to know what they’re working towards. That doesn’t happen here. You’re expected to work in a vacuum and pretend to see the bigger picture- except...there isn’t one. It’s all in Evan’s head. Priorities shift literally everyday and are based on nothing more than gut feelings.

- Slow moving: Any reviewers that say Snap is fast-paced are disillusioned or lack experience. Meetings are for show, constantly pushed out, cancelled, and/or never re-scheduled. There’s very little autonomy and projects are micromanaged. There are no performance reviews, so goals (if they are even articulated) are constantly refreshed or pushed out quarter over quarter.

- Morale is low and the existing culture perpetuates this: Some long-timers aren’t receptive to meeting new people as the company grows and bringing them into the fold. It’s a “fend for yourself” environment where survival of the ruthless reigns. Some people are just mean/rude.

- Internal Communication: Nope. There is none. Have a suggestion for a new product/feature? Or maybe an anecdot to share that will help boost engagement? You’re out of luck finding a forum to share it in. The only feedback is in the form of app feedback and even that is a black box to the person who reports.

Basically, Snap is a place where you try to look as busy possible and impress Evan/your leadership, without actually doing anything that’s moving the “camera company” forward in a meaningful way.

It’s been very disappointing working here. Much like the app (Snapchat), the company (Snap Inc.), leaves a lot to be desired. I was hoping for world-class and just haven’t seen it yet.

There’s a bunch of people rooting for Snap Inc., so it will be up to some bold souls (or Evan singlehandledly—which is more likely) to get to anything resembling success.

Advice to Management

Just start over from the beginning.

On boarding is mediocre. Stop telling people that they define the culture. If you want people to be kind, creative, and smart, then start looking for that in the talent you recruit and hire.

People don’t buy into council. In fact, it along with a host of other feel good internal activities should be the first things to go in layoffs/cutbacks. There’s way too much focus on employee well-being and social responsibility for a company that isn’t profitable. Instead, trying telling Snap’s unique story in more depth and explaining what’s in store for the future during onboarding. Two days in Malibu doing feel good activities is a waste of time and money.

Implement performance review cycles and consider not announcing promotions. People are resting and vesting- doing the minimum amount possible in order to just keep floating along (see also- the Blind app for validation). It’s not the best look for a company that prides itself on being innovative.

You may bring in top talent, but they either leave soon after or underperform because of a culture that encourages the image of success rather than actual results. Changing this will change the current trajectory of the company.

"Snapchat - Fun app, not a fun place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA

I worked at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creativity abounds and their janky startup culture still exists, which can be fun at times. It's a fun app, and when great and creative product announcements are made and shipped, you can feel proud to work there. Most people who work there are friendly and smart.

Cons

No transparency into design and future products. No process or policy for peer or manager feedback, so career growth can be totally unclear. High levels of stress amongst colleagues (something even the "beach view" can't fix). The transition into the new Santa Monica HQ is not being elegantly executed either, can't imagine it will feel like home for the company for many years. There's very little culture to really stand or rally behind and Evan is just starting to make an effort to communicate to his employees. So many problems stem from management at this company, but they've hired some recent strong managers and leaders recently - progress!

Also random side nag: the company throws its holiday party on 12/31 - I don't know who wants to celebrate NYE with his/her company, it seems to be to discourage participation to save money. Weird!

Advice to Management

If upper management keeps hiring their ex-coworkers for other management roles, what will result is a very stale environment with an overall lack of diverse perspectives that are so needed at companies like this. Also, don't hire upper management who will brag about the amount of equity they have in meetings - it's bad for the culture :)

10. "Was there for the honeymoon"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Snap full-time

Pros

Gray benefits, innovative, creative, nice facilities, care about company culture

Cons

Sometimes reactive when there was an opportunity to be proactive