Snap Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Snap CEO Evan Spiegel
Evan Spiegel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free food with option to dine out at restaurants" (in 33 reviews)

• "some reviews talk about work-life balance issues, however I see that balance is up to the employee" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be hectic" (in 11 reviews)

• "Huge divide betweeen contract and regular full time employees" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A home for people that like to get stuff done."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to make an impact big or small
    Tons of development opportunities
    Benefits are amazing
    Lots of interesting events every day
    Investment in current employees skill set
    FOOD!

Cons

The Pace can be hectic for some people
    Being tactical is sometimes required regardless of your level

Advice to Management

When making changes to the way our business operates, make sure to do a good job of explaining the why. As long as employees feel like they know why a decision was made, it will help the company feel more transparent.

"Innovative, Collaborative, and Strong Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-People are incredibly sharp, driven, and focused on innovation
    -Our Senior leadership actually listen to our feedback, ideas, and thoughts, and creates positive change based on that
    -There are opportunities to wear different hats and take on projects that might not normally be under the scope of your role
    -Benefits are insanely amazing
    -Career growth across the company is great
    -Free food is always a plus and there is plenty of it

***This is definitely a fast paced environment that isn't for everyone. If you're sharp, like to build products/processes/projects, and have a go-getter mentality, you'll thrive here.

Cons

-Junior level management could definitely be stronger

Advice to Management

Investing time and resources into development of managers will allow us to continue seeing progress.

3. "Technical Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Snap (More than 3 years)

Pros

+Amazing People/ Talent
    + Growth Opportunities
    + Innovative Product

Cons

- Some disorganization due to the speed we operate
    - Volatile market impacts stock

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in being transparent and growing/ investing in the careers of talented individuals here

"Would you rather: influence or stock price"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Snap is far from perfect, but is probably the only place where you can influence the entire software industry and actually make *new* things every day. (Vertical video, the stories format, and ephemeral messaging were born here). If you make your career decisions based on stock price expectations and press coverage, I feel bad for you (and look elsewhere). happiness comes from purpose, not RSUs, bro...
    - It feels good that most Snap products actually bring people together with friends and family, versus just trying to earn you more likes, followers, or validation from people you don't even know. Yes, this means we aren't going to make as much money as our "competitors." But what's more fun to work on? And yeah Discover needs some work -- but proud to say we don't hand the megaphone to the most extreme voices like other platforms (another reason we make less money).
    - Lots of potential down the road with AR, snap map, group chat, Bitmoji, and other mostly unmonetized products. It's not just "social" -- teens use Snapchat to replace several apps on their homescreen... Even weather (?!) AR in particular is a big opportunity, with over 70 million people already using it on Snap every day -- and no other platform publishes that stat.
    - Good benefits and programs internally, from community service opportunities around LA to diversity resource groups and other events likes hikes around town.
    - LA isn't as culturally homogenous as SF, or as chaotic as NYC

Cons

- Things change fast and often at Snap, from leadership changes to product changes, and you'll often read about this stuff in the news. This is improving, though, through new internal Q&A's and other efforts.
    - Relentless negativity from press and investors. You'll need a pretty thick skin, even if you're driven by the company mission.
    - Inexperienced C-suite, historically, though most of them have recently been replaced.
    - You'll have access to tons of projects, but there's little structure for "moving up" and there may not always be someone there to teach you or manage you if you need hand-holding.
    - Not enough adherence to industry best practices, be they related to HR or user growth. This is part of what enables an innovative culture, arguably, but this also means that amateurish stuff happens, like teams duplicating work since lanes aren't clearly defined.
    - Living and working on west side of LA doesn't offer a ton of flexibility if you want to move or decide to leave.

Advice to Management

Communicate more of the long term plan, both internally and externally. We can't expect people to understand what we're talking about. But if that's the plan to stay ahead, at least throw some more bones to the internal team who may not be able to connect all the dots on their own.

5. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Health Insurance, Free Food, Fun Work Environment, Innovative Prodcuts

Cons

Lack of Job Security, Unstable Job Longevity

6. "Account Manager"

I worked at Snap full-time

Pros

Good employee benefits, products have improved and considered effort on team culture.

Cons

Needs a better comms/PR strategy to help battle negative and incorrect market perceptions.

Advice to Management

Implement a better comms strategy.

"Great Company but you are stretched thin"

I worked at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company and co-workers. Snap really cares about their employees. Great benefits and flexibility.

Cons

Snap still works as a start up which means there is never enough time in the day and you are doing about 5 peoples jobs. You are stretched thin which causes stress on you and the team.

"People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Snap has been everything that I was hoping it would be. It has been a place that has taught me more about myself, but also enhance my professional experience. It has clear tracks for growth, if you are willing to work hard and drive yourself, and provides autonomy that will help you stretch your abilities both vertically and horizontally. It can be frustrating at times, but no job is easy, and so it forces you to slow down and process intelligently, while also executing strategically.

Cons

Not many. We are well taken care whether you look at benefits, insurance, or compensation. Just know that this is a 3000 person public company so you can't just fall under the radar.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving and innovating. As we continue to at creative and experienced leadership, the more we build security around ourselves.

"Creative, Fun and Collaborative"

I have been working at Snap full-time

Pros

Great people.
    Be Kind is part of the cornerstones of the company culture and I think most act that way.
    Challenging interesting work.
    Being able to build something from the ground up.
    Benefits are really good.

Cons

Being constantly compared to being a social media site like Facebook or Twitter.
    Snap is a Camera Platform with great creative and engagement tools. We are more of mash of Instagram meets WhatsApp that is probably more accurate.
    Some employees are in it for instant gratification without putting in the work to deserve the payoff, that can be distracting for those with the longer term view.

Advice to Management

We deserve better media. We don't promote our wins enough.
    Better performance management and manage the attrition in a more thoughtful way.

"Great people, opportunities for growth, worldclass benefits & perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Snap has many smart, passionate people across all different teams
    -Snap's benefits and perks are industry-leading
    -The company is at a stage where it's growing quickly so there are many opportunities to learn new skills, be a part of new projects, etc.
    -The products are innovative and unique, and we are leader in field for mobile developments

Cons

-Change is constant, which can be uncomfortable for some
    -Stock is volatile, which is something to get used to