Solution Design Group Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2020

4.9
Pros
  • "Every sdg employee I have met takes pride in their work, the(in 24 reviews)

• "sdg is 100% employee-owned through an ESOP(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Technical skills are only a part of what it takes to succeed in this field, but sdg will help you develop your "soft" skills if you are up for it(in 12 reviews)

• "A consulting company, by nature, requires additional evening time every month or so, for meetings, communities, training, etc(in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Gem of the Twin Cities tech market"

Current Employee - Consultant in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Solution Design Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've been with sdg for almost 10 years. Previously I've worked many places: education, creative, freelance, non-profit, and corporate. As a consultant I've seen MANY different work environments. sdg is 100%, absolutely the best place I've ever worked. This company treats people the way they want to be treated; as people with technical interests, ambitions, families and outside interests. They hire people who fit this profile. Smart, caring, interested in tech BUT also lots of other things. sdg employees are the smartest people I've ever worked with, and things seem to only improve. You get interesting assignments, great benefits (cabins, ESOP, Saints Games), and management that really care about you.

Cons

Consulting isn't for everyone. Check your ego at the door, get ready to be challenged in ways you wouldn't working as an FTE somewhere. Technical skills are only a part of what it takes to succeed in this field, but sdg will help you develop your "soft" skills if you are up for it.

Solution Design Group Response

January 9, 2020Digital Marketing Lead

Thank you! We really appreciate you being part of the sdg team. That's great advice to those who are considering consulting.

2. "Flexible and Genuine!"

Current Employee - Operations in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Solution Design Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learning and social communities, ESOP, company cabins, work-life balance is a top priority, taking care of the consultant first, genuineness for all employees, being flexible and adaptable with virtual work and onboarding, caring for the community

Cons

Nothing to note here at this time

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Solution Design Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Growing organization with solid management team Employee centric culture with ESOP ownership Unique cabin property benefit

Cons

None to share at this time

4. "Top Flight Consulting Organization"

Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Solution Design Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership provides exceptional communication. There is something to be learned on each engagement. The organization builds and fosters a sense of community. I feel valued and I truly enjoy the people with whom I work.

Cons

A consulting company, by nature, requires additional evening time every month or so, for meetings, communities, training, etc. Each event is valuable, but one must be prepared for the occasional additonal time commitment.

5. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at Solution Design Group full-time

Pros

Employee Owned, Top rate team, Opinions matter

Cons

I don't have any yet

6. "Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Java Consultant in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Solution Design Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company fully supports its' employees. We have knowledge sharing via slack, company dna, big event, practice meetings, and other informal mediums. Company culture strongly supports giving back to the community in a wide variety of ways. I think this is driven by the fact that we care about each other within the company and that propels employees to reach out in kind to the community. Benefits are great.

Cons

really no cons to speak of

"Some good and some bad"

I worked at Solution Design Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance and some pretty good perks. The resource managers are amazing and super supportive, and in general I ran into some of the most supportive coworkers I have ever run into in my career. I grew more as a developer in my time at SDG than I had most of the rest of my career. Their communities were incredibly helpful in keeping up with the latest tech and best practices and they really seem to value vigorous discussion about the best ways to do things tech wise. They also occasionally have some really fun after work events although those events do have heavy alcohol use a lot. So not necessarily for everyone.

Cons

Embarrassingly lacking in diversity on every front; not just on the programmer front. They signed the Minnesota Tech Diversity pledge and could definitely be credibly accused of it being lip service that they intended to not follow through on at all. I mean, just look at their photos. That said, they do have a lot of female employees but they, like most of the staff, are pretty close to entirely white with VERY few exceptions across the whole company. Other than that, one of the heads of the practices is one of the most pompous people I have ever met in my life, but there are at least a lot of kind and caring people around him who are aware and help smooth it over a bit. There are also some pretty long commutes sometimes and they have some pretty large clients that have some pretty antiquated social policies that they cater to instead of trying to influence.

Continue reading
  8. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Solution Design Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are awesome. All of the consultants are incredibly talented and fun to work with. The sales and recruiting team are all honest, kind and hardworking individuals. There are tons of events to pick and chose from to go to, there is something for everyone.

Cons

Consulting is not for everyone.

Continue reading
  9. "Best Culture in the Twin Cities!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Solution Design Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Their core values (Customer Service, Employee Experience, Community Involvement), Flat executive structure, ESOP, Business Ethics, Passion for Delivery and client success. Employee Cabins, Different Community groups of employees with common interests, buy extra PTO, etc...

Cons

Because of the success and growth of the company it gets harder and harder to get to know every great person personally that works here.

Solution Design Group Response

January 22, 2020Digital Marketing Lead

Thanks for leaving your feedback and trying to get to know everyone personally. We can tell you are living out the sdg core values and we are glad you are a part of sdg!

10. "Amazing company delivering intelligent solutions in the Twin Cities"

Current Employee - Consultant in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Solution Design Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee Owned. Passionate employees. Diverse technology offerings. Engaged Management/Operations team. Company Fun.

Cons

Can be difficult to meet fellow consultants as we are spread out at clients across the Twin Cities.

Found 67 reviews