KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Technical Account Manager

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture and great resources to work with and learn from(in 17 reviews)
  • "The people are awesome.(in 10 reviews)
  • "Good work/life balance(in 5 reviews)
  • "caliber developers and everyone is always happy help one another.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Good pay and benefits, including sdg being an ESOP (stock and stock valuation increase annually)(in 4 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Excellent Employee Owned company

Aug 26, 2022 - Senior Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, smart people, continue to invest in consultants, consultants are cared about and supported, being employee owned people take initiatives to make it better and get involved.

Cons

There are always down sides to any company.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good company, great people, but needs to keep compensation in line with market rate for top tech talent.

Jun 20, 2022 - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall a really great company with a talented pool of software professionals. I have worked at several companies in the Twin Cities metro that have large software engineering groups and SDG has some of the strongest tech talent I have ever worked with. Most people who work here are smart, friendly, and hardworking. Fair PTO structure and good health insurance.

Cons

Overall compensation could definitely be improved. The 401k match is very bad. There is an employee stock plan that you get enrolled in after TWO YEARS of working here, but it doesn't even fully vest for SIX YEARS. The talent pool is strong here and we have had consultants leave for big tech companies. Top tech talent is in high demand and this company is flush with it, so hopefully management keeps up with market rate.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lives up to its reputation!

Aug 8, 2022 - Consultant Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance! perks- esops, cabin, 401k, nice healthcare benefits, advanced education options Opportunities to connect in a meaningful way.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Solution Design Group Response

Thanks for taking the time to give us a review!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

The VERY Best Consulting Firm to work for in the Twin Cities!

Dec 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been in the consulting field in the Twin Cities for over 20 years, and have worked for a number of firms. SDG is, HANDS DOWN, the best consulting firm I've ever worked for. Their commitment to an amazing employee experience is unlike any other firm. At SDG, you are far more than "just a contractor" but an integral part of the company. It's great to work for a company in which I am also considered a part-owner as well! The culture here is great, I think the sense of ownership we all have in SDG brings us all together in ways other consulting firms can't match. Overall, my experience with SDG has been incredible. I think staffing firms and "body shops" give consulting work a bad name, but with SDG, I take pride in working for a great company, and also with great clients! We work on really cool projects that allow me to grow my skills. I also don't have to worry about working more than 40 hours a week on most projects - which gives me a great work-life balance as well!

Cons

As a consultant, sometimes you don't end up with a "great project" though SDG's clients all seem pretty great, so that's less of a concern here. Sometimes you may have to commute a bit longer than you'd ideally like, but of course over the past couple of years that hasn't been an issue either.

5. 1.0
    Current Employee

Worst mistake of my career so far

Aug 7, 2022 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

- sponsored conference so you can go, have fun, and talk about stuff - don't have to look for new gigs when you want to be consultant

Cons

- Don't fall for the hype; this is basically just an IT body shop with a slightly different operating model - Reviews are tilted positive bc they make everyone sign a comical document when they leave stating they or their children or heirs will never ever ever say anything bad about the company, so take them with a grain of salt…or a kilo - 401k match much lower compared to other companies - “Employee Owned” refers mostly to more senior folks & upper management. ESOP takes almost a decade to vest, so unless you stay that long you’re basically losing every year. Even after that I don’t think you’d ever catch up - Culture very cultish; there's definitely an in-group and everyone else. If you're not in the in-group it's very lonely and you feel like you could be fired at any moment for anything. Lots of suburban soccer mombies, so if that’s not your thing steer clear. - As others have mentioned DEI is pretty much lip service. They make sure to trot out their token diverse people at their events – corporate propaganda at its finest - Sometimes it feels like upper management still thinks everything is like it was in the 1980s... - High turnover and no common assignments, so you never know who you're going to be working with and rarely an opportunity to engage with them - Little support when things get tense or go awry at clients - don't expect your "manager" to actually go to bat for you - you are on your own and if you screw up you'll be shown the door (I’ve seen it happen too many times) - Basically no opportunity for advancement - Salaries significantly behind market (while senior management golfs constantly and drives nice new cars) - HR is woefully incompetent; doesn’t even know what to do with the most basic scenarios. I don’t even use my benefits half the time because I don’t trust them

2 people found this review helpful

Solution Design Group Response

Our goal has always been to build a supportive and inclusive culture at SDG, while focusing on the experience of the individual. While we know we are not perfect, it is especially troubling to hear how far off your experience seems to be from that goal. If you don't feel comfortable speaking with your assigned consultant manager, we would encourage you to reach out to someone else to see if any of your concerns can be resolved.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Wonderful company with healthy business outlook

Apr 29, 2022 - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic HR and employee success program in place, strong clients, interesting and challenging work, talented co-workers, high transparency from leadership, active DEI initiatives in place, excellent work-life balance and respect for personal time, great business outlook

Cons

Sometimes the practices become a little siloed. It would be nice to have more intentional communication and learning opportunities between java and design, low code and Microsoft, etcetera.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great consulting company with excellent employee engagement

Jun 7, 2022 - Senior Full Stack Javascript Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employee engagement through various slack channel groups that host events.

Cons

If you have a short contracts you may have to do lots of interviews at clients. You don't get to pick the clients you get placed at.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Great Place to Grow

Apr 7, 2022 - Software Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Other employees are extremely helpful and kind, work is rewarding, good benefits

Cons

Nothing bad to report yet!

Solution Design Group Response

Thanks for the review, we are glad you are having a good experience!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lives up to their status as #1 employer in MN

Sep 17, 2021 - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Dedicated consultant manager that keeps you informed and connected to sdg while you are working 100% of your time at client sites. Strong and intentional culture built by genuinely good/fun sales, operations, and management people. Good pay and benefits, including sdg being an ESOP (stock and stock valuation increase annually) Almost everything I have ever suggested or asked for has been received, from extra time off, market-matching pay increase (during annual review), assistance with navigating a client situation, sdg delivered. Exceeds expectations. "sdg has your back" when working client engagements. As a Consultant this helps me take risks such as stepping up for bigger/new roles, being direct when working through challenging situations (which has turned out to be the magic trick in coming out of these situations well for all.

Cons

No cons that I have experienced.

10. 4.0

Consistent and well meaning

Feb 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Solid company culture that supports learning and self-organized communities. Good set of clients, generally has a plethora of good technical talent, and spends a decent amount of time creating opportunities for employees to engage with each other.

Cons

Highly conservative, risk adverse company which can make it hard to innovate. Generally have a flat structure, which can be detrimental to growth opportunities for talent (i.e. a consultancy with no partner track).

Viewing 1 - 10 of 91 Reviews

Solution Design Group Reviews FAQs

Solution Design Group has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 93 reviews left anonymously by employees. 90% of employees would recommend working at Solution Design Group to a friend and 90% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Solution Design Group employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Solution Design Group. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

90% of Solution Design Group employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Solution Design Group 4.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.7 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Solution Design Group to be management, career development, benefits and the cons to be compensation, workplace.

Popular Careers with Solution Design Group Job Seekers