Solution Design Group Reviews

Updated Apr 28, 2021

Found 76 of over 78 reviews

4.9
Pros
  • "Every sdg employee I have met takes pride in their work, the(in 26 reviews)

• "The company is structured from its very core to promote work/life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Technical skills are only a part of what it takes to succeed in this field, but sdg will help you develop your "soft" skills if you are up for it(in 12 reviews)

• "A consulting company, by nature, requires additional evening time every month or so, for meetings, communities, training, etc(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Amazing company to work for

Apr 28, 2021 - Business Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, exciting, and they really honestly care about you!

Cons

None so far- I am very picky when it comes to jobs and I can't say even one bad thing about this place!

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Amazing Community

Feb 25, 2021 - Former Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive teammates, many ways to engage (as much or as little as you want), genuinely cares about and knows employees on an individual level.

Cons

Consulting and moving around to different customers can be tough and isn't for everyone. Luckily the culture is incredibly supportive and collaborative and you have a whole team behind you!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

The Best Consulting Company I've work for.

Feb 3, 2021 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Seems to go out of their way to take care of their consults. During the last year they give $500 budget to all employees to purchase office supplies and furniture to work from home. It's hard to keep everyone happy but SDG seems to do what they can. Has had positive growth even during a pandemic.

Cons

Is run fairly conservative when it comes to market trends.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Walks the Talk

Jan 22, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative company approach- learn, share and connect, client experience opportunities, Salary is for a 40 hour work week- paid for overtime hours, good benefits and company support.

Cons

If you are looking to "climb the ladder" so to speak, consulting is not for you.

5. 5.0

Behind the Curtain

Aug 26, 2020 - Operations Team Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been on the Operations Team for several years. The Operations Team members genuinely care about each one of our employees and customers. The time, effort, and thought that goes into sdg’s decisions and communications is extensive and authentic. And while sdg has had past success, there is a commitment not to assume future success. Processes and core values are in place to listen, reflect, and make changes as needed. I don’t work side by side with the consultants at our customers, but I can truly say I trust and respect each one of our Operations Team members. sdg is an ESOP—100% employee-owned. The exit strategy by the original owners was selling the company to all the employees—an extreme example of their commitment to each employee.

Cons

Consulting isn’t for everyone. sdg’s interview process will be very honest about why we may or may not be a good fit for the candidate.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

sdg is a great place to work!

Oct 8, 2020 - Operations in Golden Valley, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

sdg is a great place to work. It offers a unique work place environment that is built from the bottom up, their are so many ways to contribute to the direction and culture of the company, if you are looking for a place where you feel you can contribute and participate in everything a company has to offer, sdg is for you. Great work culture Great work, life balance Good pay and benefits Unique perks Many ways to continue learning

Cons

Only one for me, which is with consulting in general, such as drive times to client locations

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The Best Work/Life Balance

Aug 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work! The company is structured from its very core to promote work/life balance. I normally don’t work over 40 hour weeks, but when I do I get extra pay! Win/win. The culture here is top notch as well. Since our workforce is distributed amongst all our clients in the metro, we make up for it with lots of groups, events, and get togethers. It’s tough to beat a team meeting at a brewery!

Cons

Pay is not as good as some of the other consulting firms in town.

8. 5.0

Best IT Consulting Company in the Twin Cities

Dec 12, 2019 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you're looking for salaried-based consulting in the Twin Cities, sdg is, by far, the best opportunity. Leadership is very attuned to the needs/goals of consultants and to the needs/goals of sdg clients. Placements at client sites are made carefully, taking into account the experience of the consultant, the consultant's career goals, and commute time. Many clients go back decades, demonstrating sdg's long-term focus and the company's stability in the Twin Cities market. The culture is very strong, driven by volunteer committees and a vibrant sdg Slack community which fosters meet-ups based on both work topics as well as non-work hobbies. Vacation homes at Grandview Lodge, which are for employee use, are a tremendous perk and allow employees to enjoy a "cabin" vacation up north. Converting to an ESOP (employee stock ownership plan---meaning the company is employee-owned) in 2015 increased the transparency even more, with all employees seeing complete financial statements each year, as well as quarterly financial updates during the year. The Resource Manager role (HR role) also sets sdg apart by supporting, coaching, and assisting consultants throughout their engagements. The Account Exec team (Sales team) has been with sdg for years and has forged trusted relationships with clients across the metropolitan area.

Cons

If you join sdg, you're joining an extremely talented and friendly group of people who all expect great contributions from each other and hold each other to high standards. There is no coasting, which is not for everyone.

9. 4.0

sdg

Jan 7, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are nice and there are some unique perks

Cons

too much operations overhead seems to be a recent observation

10. 5.0

Gem of the Twin Cities tech market

Dec 6, 2019 - Consultant in Golden Valley, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with sdg for almost 10 years. Previously I've worked many places: education, creative, freelance, non-profit, and corporate. As a consultant I've seen MANY different work environments. sdg is 100%, absolutely the best place I've ever worked. This company treats people the way they want to be treated; as people with technical interests, ambitions, families and outside interests. They hire people who fit this profile. Smart, caring, interested in tech BUT also lots of other things. sdg employees are the smartest people I've ever worked with, and things seem to only improve. You get interesting assignments, great benefits (cabins, ESOP, Saints Games), and management that really care about you.

Cons

Consulting isn't for everyone. Check your ego at the door, get ready to be challenged in ways you wouldn't working as an FTE somewhere. Technical skills are only a part of what it takes to succeed in this field, but sdg will help you develop your "soft" skills if you are up for it.

Solution Design Group Response

Digital Marketing Lead

Thank you! We really appreciate you being part of the sdg team. That's great advice to those who are considering consulting.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 76 Reviews