Splash Damage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 9, 2019

3.3
Richard Jolly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free pastries on friday morning, free beer on friday evening" (in 8 reviews)

• "Plenty of nice and talented people" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Too many work for hire projects" (in 2 reviews)

• "The company is quite top-heavy, leading to sluggish decision-making, 'foggy' ownership/accountability and impasses in career progression" (in 2 reviews)

"Great People, Good Company"

I have been working at Splash Damage full-time

Pros

Talented People
    Honest
    Open to change
    Always Learning
    Beer Fridays

Cons

Multiple projects
    Too much planning
    Needs more technical/experienced producers
    Needs more interdepartmental communications
    Needs a legal team

Advice to Management

Overall, I had a great experience. I think there's some changes that need to be made to make it exceptional. Please consult other game development teams rather than just "professional agile coaches" or "life coaches". Games have need made for years. Ask developers for advice. I always saw a reluctance to network effectively. There's this odd pride in asking for help.

Please also keep things simple. I had to deal with a lot of "whatabout-ism" in my tenure there. It's great to consider potentialities but sometimes they don't come to pass. So why Impede yourself on trying?

"Friendly workplace with interesting projects"

I have been working at Splash Damage full-time

Pros

The partners that we get to work with are huge names and the projects are interesting (343 Industries, The Coalition).

Cons

Too many work for hire projects. Needs larger focus on own IP projects.

Advice to Management

Find funding for own IP projects and prototype more. Take more risks.

"Wasted Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Splash Damage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work-for-hire IPs;
    Job security;
    Hiring graduates;

Cons

Lack of ambition/vision;
    Majority of work is work-for-hire;
    Your input isn't valued;
    No transparency;
    Driven people will leave, the ones that remain are the ones who don't care or have families;
    Salary is bad if you consider cost of living (rent);

Advice to Management

Promote the right people. Replace or educate incompetent leadership.
    Be honest and stop the virtue signalling in terms of company culture.
    Stop the brain drain.

"Company has no vision, ambition, or ideals they act on"

Former Employee - Technical Artist
    Former Employee - Technical Artist

I worked at Splash Damage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* There is a lot of room to do whatever you want, whether that is doing the work of 5 people, or nothing at all. There are no real repercussions for anything.
    * The overall culture is friendly
    * The hierarchy is quite flat. If you want, and if you can find them, you can talk directly to upper management about issues.

Cons

* Splash wants to expand more than anything, whether that's the right thing to do or not. People are not being managed, there is no vision, the majority of leadership is very poor. Proper onboarding is very rare.
    * There is no real ambition to do anything above the minimum requirement. Suggestions to do more interesting/ambitious things often get shut down, and only get done if people voluntarily put in more time. Doing more than the minimum is actively discouraged.
    * Pay is fairly low.
    * The focus on friendliness over everything often gets interpreted as "don't offer feedback as that might not be considered friendly" and "don't try to improve things as people might take offense". This is causing everything to stagnate in a less than ideal position.
    * People who are actually good / ambitious are either leaving, have left, or are looking at leaving.
    * Talking to management/leadership and raising issues doesn't mean issues get addressed.
    * Splash keeps hiring people who are unable to do the job they are hired for, because the hiring process seems to be completely random. Consistent testing or proper interviewing doesn't seem to be happening.

Advice to Management

* Set clear goals for what you're hoping to achieve, and make sure that everyone in the company is aligned with those goals. Don't just give a vague inspirational speech, make it clear what results you expect.
    * Stop blindly trying to expand the company, and focus on quality instead.

"High staff turnover, low morale and poor decision-making"

I have been working at Splash Damage full-time

Pros

- Good employee-led culture and some really talented individuals
    - Employees are given a lot of autonomy and freedom
    - Good selection of perks
    - Lots of exciting social events
    - Lots of effort put into supporting charities
    - Very good recruitment process

Cons

- Very low employee morale across studio, high staff turnover and lots of key people leaving
    - Many disciplines are understaffed, both on a project and studio level
    - Poor decision-making at senior management level
    - Poor planning, often resulting in employees having to work extra hours to make up for this
    - Expectation of overtime
    - Feedback given in retrospectives and other meetings is usually ignored and not acted upon
    - Work-for-hire projects that feel less like collaboration and more like dictatorships
    - Lack of clarity of vision on most projects
    - Designers are given too much power, often demanding significant changes at critical moments
    - Too many bottlenecks on dev teams
    - Company values are very one-sided, with employees expected to follow them but senior management often completely ignoring them
    - Key members of staff who suddenly and unexpectedly go missing with almost nothing communicated to their teams, despite everyone knowing that they were forced out of the studio
    - Lack of communication around any information the studio feels is too sensitive, which only breeds distrust
    - Employees forced to have more responsibilities than the roles they're paid for (e.g. Seniors acting as Leads for several years), without any talk of promotion

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about decisions and do more to address poor planning that leads to overtime.

"Good for start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Splash Damage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people and culture

Cons

low salary, lack of solid direction

"good and diverse workplace with a fantastic culture"

Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Programmer
    Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Programmer

I have been working at Splash Damage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a multitude of cool and different projects and the company is incredibly welcoming, it feels like a second home to me and I know plenty of other people feel the same. People in hr and facilities are caring and professional.
    There's people from all over the world, making for a very diverse and interesting environment, but most of all the top management is dedicated to preserving a fun and friendly culture even if the company is growing up at an incredible rate (pretty much tripled in size since I joined).
    About career opportunities: you have a global review every 6 months, leading to that you get monthly reviews with your manager, standard stuff if you worked in a similar sized company before. So far I've seen everyone deserving a promotion getting one (even if I'm still waiting mine :P) and people's efforts are generally always recognized both by their team and company-wide.

Cons

- salaries are lower than other similar companies in the same area
    - growing really fast, can be scary for someone

Sep 14, 2018 – Senior HR Advisor

Thank you for leaving us your review on Glassdoor. We are super proud of our company culture and our efforts towards diversity and inclusion. It’s something we continuously work on and what make... More

"OK for Intermediate Level"

I have been working at Splash Damage full-time

Pros

+ Friendly environment
    + Rare crunch times

Cons

- Low salary for London
    - Almost internal education/growth
    - Ugly codes everywhere and no refactoring

Advice to Management

Production team should also care about code quality and let the people design-implement-test-refactor properly. Codebase will live longer than employees in the company!

"Corporate Company trying to be Fun and Creative"

I have been working at Splash Damage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Beer on Friday
    Free Pastry
    Free Soft Drinks = a gateway into becoming a diabetic.

Cons

The entire company is set up like a school playground, because of the free stuff the staff members get, they all act like children and expect to be spoon fed and burped with treats. The company itself is trying to pretend to be a fun and creative in its environment, with gifts of free stuff, when really it is an extremely corporate and strict place to work. Every few months a department can review another department on its performance even if they have never worked with a particular staff member they can still review them anonymously and if you are not in the IN crowd of popular adults (who act like school children), then prepare yourself.

The company is set up in levels, level one being the lowest, the ground floor and level 3 being the highest, the third floor, which creates a horrible dynamic between each department.

The company is completely male dominated and all the women seem to be doing all the heavy lifting and running around after the man-children and ladies there is no maternity leave, so I recommend working somewhere more female friendly.

Advice to Management

Give more promotional opportunities to the women who work there, other than a PA role.

Stop getting other departments to review each-other's performance anonymously as it creates a hostile working environment.

Employ more men in the facilities department to break up the hostile women who work there.

Sep 14, 2018 – Senior HR Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Glassdoor. Whilst we always look at ways to improve our studio environment and practices, I must open this response by clarifying some... More

"QA Tester"

I have been working at Splash Damage full-time

Pros

Employee satisfaction seems to be the focus of the studio.
    Several small events and a few big parties throughout the year.
    Many tiny benefits - mostly for show (daily fruit; free coffee, tea, soft drinks; weekly pastries; weekly beers)
    Strong culture, but some values are not supported at all (like Pursuing Mastery)

Cons

Salaries are very low for QA.
    40h work weeks + 1h mandatory lunch breaks - takes away most of your day
    Very few career progression opportunities for QA
    Almost no support and training for moving into other positions/departments

Jul 11, 2018 – Senior HR Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We love to hear what our current employees think about the studio and ways in which we could improve.
    We truly honour our company culture here... More