Sunrun Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lynn Jurich

Pros
  • Great Manager in New England excellent company with good benefits (in 14 reviews)

• Great Culture, great people, great mission to tackle climate change (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is way out of wack and management is very young (in 9 reviews)

• over the past couple years here I have seen many growing pains but I have also never seen an issue go longer than 3 months without getting solved (in 10 reviews)

"Outstanding, motivated teams at all levels."

Current Employee - Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sunrun is a mission driven business, where employees feel like they are a part of a clean energy movement. They are passionate, incredibly intelligent, but focus on helping each other. A strong sense of teamwork drives the environment. All teams are "in it together" and share in the work, including the executive ranks. The teams are obsessed with customer satisfaction, as reflected in their very high customer satisfaction scores, which is a source of pride amongst the company. They are also heavy operators...Sunrun is a tech company but it's also a labor intensive business and the success of the business requires a well run operation where metrics are defined, managed, and reported to the teams on a regular basis. Overall, this is an outstanding company that is well positioned for the future.

Cons

The company is going through a bit of a growing transition. Over the years they've opened multiple (non field) offices and they are now starting to rationalize those by migrating employees to a single hub, which appears to be Denver. This is creating some stress in the employee base. The business of solar generally is a bit chaotic..its success really depends on the local utility rates, state policies, and national federal tax rebates. These are big levers that can change the outcome for the company to the negative, and they are largely outside of the company's control. Generally, solar is here to stay, but it's still a young industry that needs the help of the federal government to grow - which is always a risk as federal policies can change depending on who is running the country.

Advice to Management

Keep obsessing about customers, and operating with the sense of mutual respect with the employees. As the company transitions from a start up to a growth operator, dont lose focus on customer service. You're doing outstanding work...keep it up!!

"Best job I've had thus far"

Former Employee - Permit Coordinator in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Permit Coordinator in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Sunrun was the best job I've had thus far. Pay was great. Benefits were great. I loved what I was doing and I was good at it.

Cons

Unstable company. We went from being overwhelmed with jobs to no work at all. When the work decreased the lay offs started. I didn't think I would get laid off when I did especially being one of the folks that helped open the branch. I liked the idea of being a part of saving the planet but solar companies (at least the 2 I've worked for) fly that flag but don't actually believe it. Leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when a company uses a noble cause to make more money. A noble cause they don't really believe in.

Advice to Management

Make the business more stable. I know the industry is called "the solar coaster" but it doesn't have to be that way. Listen to employees when they have ideas as to markets the company could sell in. You have/had smart employees with good ideas.

3. "Sunrun"

Former Employee - Inspection Coordinator in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Inspection Coordinator in Worcester, MA

I worked at Sunrun (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Low pay, but easy job

"Very supportive for employee development"

Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good managers who focus on employee development
    Flexibility and opportunity to move around the company and grow your responsibility
    Great coworkers

Cons

Moving out of startup phase, so things move much more slowly
    IPO causing company priorities to shift

Advice to Management

Keep working on the culture and making employees happy to work there

"Great group of employees"

Current Employee - PV Systems Designer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - PV Systems Designer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and work schedule. Great group of people to work with. Within the Design Engineering department the people are great and make the job better.

Cons

Over promise and under deliver on many things. Communication between levels in the depart and with other departments could be drastically improved. When getting hired, management over promised about advancement opportunities. Very little advancement and promotion actually takes place.

"Inside sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Roseville, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, friendly and like to have a good time and work. Half of the people wanted to be there

Cons

Management lets reps lie to customers, to make money. They have no clue what it takes to effectively sell the product....or maybe just dont care cus managment paycheck is tied to gross bookings.

Advice to Management

Keep guessing with your fingers crossed, that your plan will work. Maybe you will figure it out. You will never improve if you keep on course. You have employees that have watched the same exact mistakes be made at your biggest competitor

8. "Great place to work. Young company and lots to figure out down the road, but overall great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Material Planner in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Material Planner in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managers care about their employees (in my experience) and have their interests in mind. The executive leadership at the helm is focused on the right things in my opinion (cutting costs and being lean to make Sunrun cash positive as fast as possible, but not reducing quality).

Cons

Sunrun is a young company and the industry in general is very quickly changing. Some months are awesome and some feel like every day you encounter a new problem to deal with. Not necessarily a bad thing but preventable.

Advice to Management

Management makes informed decisions and does what they honestly think is best for the company. Keep making Sunrun a great place to work and pushing towards the goal of creating a planet run by the sun!

9. "Good people and great boss"

Former Employee - Project Planner in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Project Planner in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Sunrun full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The boss (Charlie) is very supportive and always willing to help you with anything that needs to be done or looked into. Will assist you with problems and road blocks that you encounter without hesitation. I have never worked in such a positive environment in my 30 years of work experience before and loved it all the way up to the point of layoff (for lack of work). If you ever get the chance to work under Charlie i'm sure that you will have the same sentiments that i've shared here in this review. There is another boss that I will recognize in this review too and his name is Nick. He was my direct supervisor and he too was very supportive and always willing to help. Again my experience with these two bosses was GREAT!

Cons

Industry changes has made my position with the company expendable. No cons against this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"It's been a roller coaster with this company. I have been an excellent employee and I don't get anything back."

Current Employee - Foreman in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Foreman in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don't have anything good to say of about this company. Such a bad experience as an employee

Cons

There has been issues with harassment and nothing has been done. If someone speaks out next thing you know they get fire. Worst place I have worked for. We get treated as slaves not as humans.

Advice to Management

CEO Needs to get involved more into how there employees are been treated by supervisor and managers. All they want to see is numbers. Don't forget that who brings all that money to the company is ur employees. Seems like supervisors are enemies with the employees just looking for reason to fire them if they don't like you because of your race ethics. Sun Run branch is #1 in Arizona right now but is not because of the supervisors or management is because of the slaves they have. They are afraid to speak out and loosing there jobs. This is insane!!!

"Former Project Operations Employee - San Francisco"

Former Employee - Project Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great industry, good coworkers. It was an opportunity for me to enter into the solar market and learn about a growing industry that is enacted positive change in the world.

Cons

No growth opportunities within the department and no process for encouraging or promoting high performers. The department was run in a way that they expected and preferred high turnover within the staff, and made no efforts to build career paths or hold on to quality employees. As the company shifted operations outside of San Francisco, promises were made about the security of our jobs that ultimately did not hold true, until the remaining SF based employees were recently laid off. There was no transparency from management, and no respect for those holding lower-level positions. At times it felt as if we were treated like machines who were turned on for extra hours (overtime and weekends) when our department director needed to deliver on numbers.

Poor compensation for industry and location.

Advice to Management

Treat your team like human beings and focus on encouraging dedication and hard work rather than simply delivering on numbers. Acknowledge criticism when it comes your way and take steps to correct and create a positive environment for your team.
    Company as a whole: Respect operations employees and create paths for their growth and success within the company.