Sunrun Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Lynn Jurich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, good location in downtown SF, mission oriented company (in 19 reviews)

• Great management, high pay and pretty good benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Still struggling to provide work-life balance for employees (in 11 reviews)

• To boot it they are CONSTANTLY changing ("improving") processes which results in mass amounts of confusion (in 10 reviews)

"Best Recruiting Team I Have Ever Worked With!"

I have been working at Sunrun full-time

Pros

I'm on the recruiting team and couldn't be happier with the people I get to work with. The managers are wonderful and I really feel like I am making a difference. We each step in to help each other when needed, which is a nice change of pace from other companies. I love what I do and that I get to do it for Sunrun.

Cons

Nothing - keep up the great work!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

2. "Fleet Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission of the company, coworkers and executive team are inspirational were a positive experience for the 3 years I was there. Leadership teams promoted lunch n learns within your team or inter-department. Quarterly meetings with execs where they would share past performance, discuss future plans and any questions.

Cons

Going public changed a lot in the company (for good reason) but it felt like customer and technical service positions were a bit dispensable. It was challenging to get promoted or a raise despite significant added value and successes.

3. "Great Company"

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management, Pay, flexibility, overall mission

Cons

Not for everyone, you really need to have a get it done mindset and be self motivated. This is not a place for someone who needs their hand held

4. "Great Community, Unchecked Sales, No Growth Opportunity"

Former Employee - PV Designer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - PV Designer in Denver, CO

I worked at Sunrun full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the people I worked with. The sustainability field brings together a lot of awesome people and very talented individuals.

Cons

No 401k
    No incentives
    Expect a raise of less than 50 cents
    No real engineering or design. Mostly everything is automated and becomes extremely repetitious.

The pitch to everyone was that they would be able to move up in the company, but there were no new opportunities within the first 10 months in any position. Additionally, they hired individuals with a lot of talent but didn't respect their opinions.
    Constantly required to correct PV layouts for sales people that are trying to take advantage of their customers. This was brought up multiple times, but nothing was ever mentioned or any action taken to correct it, which led me to believe it was purposeful. That is when I made the decision to leave. I wanted to help people and solve problems, but that's not what the job was.

Advice to Management

I would be honest with people in the hiring process. The job did not involve engineering or much problem solving. Give the people you hired to be intelligent the opportunity to be just.

5. "Don't work here"

Former Employee - Retail Solar Advisor
    Former Employee - Retail Solar Advisor

I worked at Sunrun full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, relatively simple job, coworker community is welcoming

Cons

Don't make quota? Lose your job

Advice to Management

Stop firing your employees because their sales don't match your expectation

6. "Dysfunctional, Lacking Strong Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with smart, fun people. Furthering the cause for solar energy.

Cons

Company lacks focus. Everything is always a fire drill. Managers care more about getting things done quickly versus properly--a lot of the output lacks professionalism. Budget cuts are constant. Company is outsourcing jobs. High turnover because of chaotic culture.

A lot of lip service paid to customer experience and yet managers make decisions that makes the experience worse.

Missing solid leadership that cares about the employee experience.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Focus on where there's high turnover. Fire the bad managers. Train and invest in your employees to become leaders and not just middle managers.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, laid back office environment.
    Good work/life balance.
    Amazing benefits package.
    Helping the environment!

Cons

Upper level management is alright, but branch level management is horrible (at least in my branch). They only care about how many jobs get installed. They set crazy monthly goals that are virtually unattainable and management takes it out on the hourly employees when the goals are not met. Management doesn't listen to suggestions from staff.
    Also no room for career growth at a branch level.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees. They know what is working and what needs to be improved. Reward everyone, not just specific departments. You can't expect everyone to feel recognized for good performance if only some people get bonuses for working hard.

8. "Field Energy Advisor"

Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Sunrun part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company values and environment.

Cons

Since it was sales based on canvassing neighborhoods that had already been hit, there wasn't much opportunity to make a lot of money

"Transparency Issues"

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free snacks and coffee.
    - Lots of company sponsored events if you're at one of the headquarters (SF, SLO, Denver).
    - Relatively flexible work hours.

Cons

- Almost zero opportunity for growth, unless you're willing to relocated to Denver. I moved around through several different departments and noticed the same thing in all of them.
    - Management outright lied about forced relocation. They stated they would not be relocating teams to Denver. Several teams were then told that they would either need to apply for their jobs and move to Denver if accepted, or that they had until the end of the year (2017) to find a new job.
    - Management tends to not listen to employee feedback.
    - People at all levels like to pass blame around when the ball is dropped.

Advice to Management

- Be transparent with your employees when you know that these things are coming. There was no reason to lie to everyone, other than to keep them on board as long as possible, which hurts everyone in the end.
    -Listen to feedback from your employees.
    - As as supervisor, it is your job to shelter your employees from all the flack that is rolling down the hill. Take that into account and address issues and improve performance, rather than throwing individual team members under the bus for your mistakes.

"Terrible C level Leadership - Destroying Culture instead of Building"

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

snacks. My team was great however you do not know anyone outside of that group

Cons

Company Culture starts at the top and it is clear that Lynn does not see value. Many terms used are "churn and burn " and "sunburned" to give you an idea of how employee feel about how they are valued. You are a machine not a person. Work as hard as you can and instead of being thanked or recognized you are not expected to raise the bar higher and work more.
    Terrible cadence for yearly planning. By far the least organized organization I have observed this behavior. If you don't like having meeting about meetings that will happen later in the week then this ins't the organization for you.
    You always need to be on defense and running at a sprint pace to then turn around and do it again because not all the information was given to you to be able to effectively do anything.
    There is also no regard for personal time after hours.

Advice to Management

Focus on Culture. You are loosing great employees and will eventually end up with just the below average people. Starts at the top and with HR (who also doesn't seem to care)