Sunrun Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Lynn Jurich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, good location in downtown SF, mission oriented company (in 16 reviews)

• Great management, high pay and pretty good benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is way out of wack and management is very young (in 9 reviews)

• over the past couple years here I have seen many growing pains but I have also never seen an issue go longer than 3 months without getting solved (in 10 reviews)

1. "Solar Advisor"

Former Employee - Solar Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Solar Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great. This was particularly valuable during the transition from a territory-based sales operation to full blown call center. Compensation was very fair, but I have recently learned this may have changed.

Cons

Management increasingly became more strict with call-center metrics - timed breaks, aftercall work, and scheduled lunches.

Advice to Management

Remain truthful to new hires about working in a call center.

2. "More like Family..."

Current Employee - Installation Coordinator in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Installation Coordinator in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Great Team Work, Detail Oriented, Rewarding, Caring, Empathizing and Motivational

Cons

Not much to say about the Cons, as my concerns have been addressed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! When at my toughest times, my BM was able to push me through!

3. "Young, Fun Culture"

Former Employee - Project Planer in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Planer in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture! Loved the people I worked with. Management was great and the Branch Operations Manager, Paul was hilarious, and a great person to work under. Made everyday worth coming to work. Have worked 5 different corporate jobs, and Sunrun in Somerset has by far had the best culture of them all.

They also invest in their employees through regular trainings, lunches and other team building activities which as an employee is great to see that you are valued.

Stand Up Desks

Cons

Company as a whole needs better PTO policy. 10 Days for vacation AND sick days is almost nothing compared to most other companies out there.

4. "great company to work for."

Former Employee - Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Architect in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good package, startup culture, great work and life balance

Cons

no 401k match. stock options are not good as shares are tumbling.

"job for new grads, not for professional"

Former Employee - PV Systems Designer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - PV Systems Designer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good people, they are very nice and they will help you every time when you need it.
    good place to learn residential PV system design. Since it is a large company, you have a lot opportunity to work on different areas such as installation, permitting, etc.

Cons

1: management team is still too young, they mess up in some situations that make morale very, very low
    2: higher management team don't value designers much. They think we don't need high education and skills and replacement can be found in local market easily.
    3: low pay for master students, and "designer" title sometimes will be a road block for your career development
    4: way too many process changes and they always want you to accept it by telling you this is the value they live. sort of brainwash and it is funny

Advice to Management

a lot of supervisors don't know how to be a supervisor, and management team can't hear it. Now the employees with a degree are leaving. You don't value some of them, and you should know that they have saved the company tens of thousands of dollars. Learn to keep the good people.

"Not Perfect But At Least Excellent Overall"

Former Employee - Planner in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Planner in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to partake in providing a solution for the biggest problem facing our world today. Pay is good and people are bright and generally intelligent. There is positive energy and the CEO is definitely on the right track.

Cons

Mergers and acquisitions created a behind the scenes confrontational and combative management group. Extremely closed culture, i.e. communication is often outright punished. IT Department was not supported and this led to a lot of technical issues.

Advice to Management

Declare which business you are actually in: Energy? Construction? Production? Finance? Technology? Provide some constancy of focus and for all that is holy, promote communication - you will never become a lean operation without this.

"Poor leadership"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company pays for public transportation. Most of the people working in the lower ranks are awesome.

Cons

Very poor leadership. No 401k. Constantly changing procedures. Disconnection between departments. Lack of accountability for sales.

Advice to Management

Recruit more talented leadership.

"Glad I got out"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. I am still friends with quite a few folks are extremely talented, amazing folks

Cons

Bro culture, CEO is a creep. A lot of SV attitude and not very much diverse representation. If your family is not independently wealthy and you actually need the job to survive, that has an impact on how you are viewed socially (guess what: it's negative!)

Advice to Management

None, do your own work to improve. You know whats wrong

"It was good at first."

Former Employee - Lead Installer in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Installer in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Sunrun (More than a year)

Pros

The company had great Benefits, lots of work hours, close to my house, and had a central location that i would drive to every morning and met up to drive the company truck.

Cons

At first the company was great to work for, but then I was told i was getting a higher position with a higher pay. I got the position, I was working harder and a lot more responsibilities but never got the pay raise. I was promised for months i was going to get it and not to worry. They said i would get retropay for all the hours i worked as a lead. Finally I got my raise 4 months later but was denied retropay for all my hard work. After a short period they forced me to start working for the New York side of the company and never received a pay increase. So finally I was fed up and quit. I dont know of the entire company is this way but I do know that the central branch (somerset) is sneaky and they lie, and don't care about the team as a whole.

Advice to Management

Start working like a real team, all the higher ups push and push their guys that are actually on the field to work harder to get their numbers up and they get bonuses, but the hard workers dying on the roofs get treated like crap.

"This company is superficially organized and management is unwilling to change or see actual problems and fix them.6/1/17"

Current Employee - Construction in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Construction in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

10 days vacation.
    Sunrun provides tools and materials for all of there in house jobs.
    Sunrun provides cloths free of charge each season to a select few that are first in line. (tongue in cheek).

Cons

This company is superficially organized and management is unwilling to change or see actual problems and fix them. They create corporate agendas without consulting the guys who actually do the work. The organization runs great as long as there isn't anything out of the ordinary. Unfortunately almost 50% of the jobs are out of the ordinary. On these jobs, management has no idea how to proceed and looks to you for guidance. This would be great if, in the same breathe, they didn't say you need there permission to do anything. More often than not the solution they come up with after telling them what to do is how can they do the bare minimum and hope that it's good enough.

Example: customer has poor roof. Sunrun is told by assessment crew they should not install on it. Management says we need our monthly numbers let's patch it. Crew goes out to install on said roof. Tells management this roof is bad we need to replace it or cancel. Management says we will send repair crew out. Customer reports leak 3 months later. Crew finds and fixes water entry point with tar and flashing. Subrun paints customer's ceiling. No mold remediation or assessment. Customer reports new leak in 6 months. Sunrun finds and fixes water entry point. Etc and so on.

Change is not a thing you should expect here as anything that bothers you on day one, even if you try to show how it's flawed, will likely be the same when you leave.

Forget about your job title they will hand anything and everything they don't want to complete all without additional compensation. These tasks don't even come close to fitting in your job description.

They do yearly reviews in one month of the year so if your hired less than 1 year before this month you don't get reviewed until you have been in sunrun for one whole year (the following year). If was here for 18 months before I was performance reviewed.

Obviously I'm just a guy on the internet so take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt. That's what sunrun wants.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees they are the backbone of your company and in most cases know more than you do. After all this is a construction company and you have never touched a hammer for employment. You have no hands on experience so therefore have no clue how much you need our help.