Tacit Knowledge Reviews | Glassdoor

"Best job of my career"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tacit Knowledge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commitment to IT craftsmanship in a wholistic sense, work-life balance, no politics amongst colleagues, no passengers on project teams, colleagues who are balanced in having great skills and personality (you want to have drinks with them), lots of client-facing opportunities if you are at an onshore office.

Cons

Benefits aren't as great even though the salary is more than competitive. Currently we have more work than we can recruit good enough people for, and a lot of old-timers are leaving. There is still worry that Tacit will lose its culture of craftsmanship as it merges more closely with Newgistics.

Advice to Management

Don't forget our origins as a corrective to the large digital agencies.

"Great company outside of the US"

Former Employee - Business in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business in San Francisco, CA

Pros

* London, Guadalajara, Chișinău know how to deliver software. The developers and the PMO staff in these locations and NY are highly talented.
    * I have never had the pleasure of being employed at a company that is so dedicated to the Agile methodology before Tacit.
    * The Product Management side of the company is smart and enjoyable to work with.
    * PMO management in London is inspiring and should take a greater role in managing the NA offices.

Cons

* The San Francisco PMO management team went from greatly inspiring (2015) to less than uninspiring (2016). Reminiscent of a "Lord of The Flies" style - PMO management in San Francisco adopts practices like:
    ** Public humiliation in standups
    ** Alienating and talking over the Tech team
    ** Telling members of the project team that they are "Slowing down velocity" for taking vacation that was knowingly approved in meetings with project members.
    ** Failing to deliver projects where other PMO teams before 2016 have delivered before.

Advice to Management

* PMO oversight in SF isn't there. It needs to be.
    * Layoffs are demoralizing.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tacit Knowledge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly excellent benefits. 11 days holiday a year (US). Fun, supportive team of highly motivated professionals. If you are lucky enough to be in the GDL, office you're probably having the time of your life.

Cons

The move from a consulting company to a product company has meant that some of the offices (NY, SF) have lost focus, and are losing staff.

Advice to Management

Regain your mojo.

"Global Director Products & Services"

Current Employee - Global Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Global Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Tacit Knowledge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting and challenging work environment, super smart colleagues and leadership. Great prospects for the future towards the journey of becoming a product & services organization. The size of the organization is perfect to acquire new skills, learn lots and grow in multiple areas

Cons

Funding & Budget Constraints, Recruiting needs to accelerate for projected growth

Advice to Management

Invest in the future

"Used to be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tacit Knowledge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great local team
    Stellar benefits
    Amazing ideas
    Great office and location
    great work/life balance
    Most of the managers have the employees best interests at heart

Cons

Integrating with Newgistics has been challenging and half of the time no one knows what they are doing.
    Lack of value for employees as Newgistics sees them as a number.
    Total lack of profit sharing.
    Most of the new executive team is at best so so.
    Crappy pay

Advice to Management

Quit running around like crazy chickens and focus on what's important in a CONSULTING company; the employee.
    NOTE: Chris Andrasick is a great guy and a great CEO but he is not the current CEO.

"A good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tacit Knowledge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Very smart people
    - Engaged executive leadership team
    - Good clients & project work
    - Strong commitment to best practices

Cons

- Some of the 'special' was lost following the acquisition
    - Career path was limited for some disciplines

Advice to Management

Stay true to the promise of the company name.

"Working with your friends who happen to be experts"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tacit Knowledge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tacit only hires drama-free people, so we all get along great. Coworkers fast became friends and drinks on Friday are the norm here. Everyone is easy to work with because they also experts. People know what they're doing so that means a frustration-free zone too. My manager is approachable and easy to talk to...about anything which means the company stays healthy and transparent, any small issues does not escalate and productive outcomes are assured. Our office is close to public transit so it's easy to get here. I get complete benefits and life insurance at no cost to me as well as a nice 4 weeks of paid time off per year.

Cons

Haven't had 401K matching but we will in a few months.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent, keep staff feeling important and valuable. Keep the social events coming and team building a priority.

"Excellent company culture with strong focus on building high quality software using best practices and processes."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tacit Knowledge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with smart/fun people on a variety of challenging projects with highly visible clients. Very good work-life balance and very competitive pay. If you like consulting and solving real challenging projects, you'll enjoy working here.

Cons

Typical challenges when working with big enterprise projects: politics, pace in which things move can be frustrating with big companies.

"Great and Focused Software Engineering Shop"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tacit Knowledge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, friendly, and studious. The problems can be tough, but there are always plenty of support from other engineers. Engineers work closely with the clients to define project goals, the politics are minimal, and there is nobody here who is in opposition to our goals of writing beautiful code.

Cons

I'd like to see more greenfield projects as opposed to work with smaller scopes.

Advice to Management

Focus on projects that will interest and retain the engineers, beware projects that are a ton of trouble to manage, and ensure the small-company culture is retained as we integrate with the big-feeling parent company.

"Very smart, dedicated people and positive environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tacit Knowledge full-time

Pros

Tacit Knowledge is an engineering-driven company, with a focus on quality. Employees are very supportive of each other, and take interest in each others' projects. This is genuine interest, not like my last job, where someone asking you what you were working on meant you should watch your back. I've never worked at a place where everyone likes each other this much, or where everyone was this good at their jobs.

Cons

This is a consulting company, so there is likely to be travel (this could be a "pro" if you really like to travel), though it's not excessive. The interview/hiring process is pretty long, but this is only a con until you get through it. I guess high standards have costs.

Advice to Management

Don't lose track of what makes Tacit what it is as we integrate with our new parent company.