Tacit Knowledge Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.7

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Recruiter based out of texas is NOT professional at all. I was asked questions totally unrelated to my job profile and there was needless curiosity in the other offer I had in hand, judging the company I had the offer in hand. This behavior is unacceptable. The interview overall was OK. The team is small and office space is good. Did not enjoy the day long interview process especially with one of the interviewers being over critical and judgmental.

Interview Questions

• Give 3 values about yourself ? (More like a moral science question)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online, then HR called. HR took interview for one day, HR person didn't had enough time as they asked so many questions and interview went over hr, so i was told to do another HR interview next day. I did that and my info was pass to director. After a week Director called, he seems to be nice person, understood what i bring on table and where i am coming from and despite that he looked the potential in me and decided to bring me onsite for f2f. After a week i was called to come in and they booked flight ticket and a hotel to stay a night.

Three steps interview
    1. HR called for interview
    2. Director (manager) called for interview
    3. Face to face with the team

Interview Questions

• 1. General project management related questions
      2. Asked me my knowledge in ecommerce
      3. how to manage team/clients
      4. During face to face, I was asked very similar questions. However the team was very young to conduct this kind of interview in my opinion. As i could see the atleast two of the members who took interviews they are just following some direction given to them about what kind of questions they need to ask.
      One of the question was very poor kind of question, the interviewer brought an email conversation between two people and asked me to interpret. There could be thousands possibility of that email. Without knowing entire email chain you can predict.
      For face to face, the company spend some money to fly me in and put me in a hotel nearby. It took about a week for them to decide after interview to reply me back that i they will pass on my candidacy. I asked the feedback as i was very confident on my responses and what i bring on table with my experience but no feedback.
      The process was ok, in my opinion, i didn't get a chance to meet the manager. Without meeting the manager the young members on a team just decided to pass upon me. I believe that was not a good decision.

Just FYI.. all the pictures on glassdoor are from other office. As NY office is very small.
      Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

In despite of long interview and "no offer" result I think it was one of the best interview in my life.
    They are doing it on very high level. Just be prepared.

Interview Questions

• Employment history discussion, coding task, design and problem solving tasks,   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was a detailed, tough 6 hour process with 5 different interviews and a social lunch. I really appreciated the process because I was able to ask as many questions as they asked me. They really do their due diligence to ensure they hire only the best people.

Interview Questions

• Some great technical questions to test my level of eCommerce development and Agile practices.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were great, polite, fast and realistic.

PM/Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge.

Interview

Process included one phone interview, then an in person meeting that was most of the day. At first that was a bit surprising but it was broken into a few parts - technical, scenario-based and open discussion. I was there at 9:30am then another group took me to lunch which was more of a personality fit experience. All of the questions were relevant and didn't feel like a quiz but more of a discussion however I also definitely felt challenged. It was a bit intimidating and certainly exhausting but I really appreciated the thoroughness.

Interview Questions

• Hands on exercise to map out a project scenario and steps   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job via LinkedIn and had an initial phone screen with a recruiter. After about 30 minutes we agreed on mutual interest, so the next step was to set up a phone interview.

I happened to be in the Bay Area for vacation, so I asked if I could stop by the office in person. A 30 minute quick meeting was scheduled early the following week. Shortly after the visit, I was asked if I could come in for an all day interview the following day. Tacit graciously provided accommodations and a change in my return flight.

The all day interview was a series of meetings with about 12 people with different functions in the company. We started with work history summary, but most of the meetings were technical scenario competencies held with experts in various domains (project management, dev ops, development). A casual lunch outing was provided by the engagement managers.

While the interviews were somewhat intense, the environment was very welcoming. Questions were relevant to real world competency. They covered everything in a single day, including HR specifics like compensation and benefits.

The process is intense, but efficient. There's definitely a focus on both culture fit and competency. Since the team has a collective say in the hiring, decisions are made quickly. The people were so great, I knew I wanted to work there by the end of the day.

This experience set the bar for prospective employers. I've never been treated so well and was just thankful for the experience. Fortunately, I ended up with an offer that evening which I accepted on the spot.

Interview Questions

• There were scenarios that were definitely different than my realm of experience.   1 Answer

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Well structured, but not terribly difficult questions to anyone that has experience delivering technology solutions and is allowed to elaborate on that experience: 1.) Top grade: interviewer knew some of the firms that I had worked with and took a somewhat paranoia generating tone in the interview, but it was detailed enough to get the information required if fairly assessed, but most firms take the time to get interviewees consent to speak with former employers and associates, 2.) Responsibility for delivery: review of Agile concepts. Honestly, I had worked on SCRUM teams with 4-6 delivery groups on highly organized on-off shore verticals with full web-analytics and highly vetted methods. They later indicated to the recruiter that this was a weak area, but I know this to not be the case. There was some indication that the tools I used were of a different type than they had in mind, but I know that they are the industry standards for BA/BSA work so I didn't pay much attention there - maybe not have a serious opinion here, as developers like to tell users the tools they need, 3.) excellent lunch provided off-site, 4.) White board overview of IT stack previously delivered; my example was not eCommerce, but two of the developers liked it, repeating that it was great, even after the director left the meeting immediately, sending a message that this was not the type of platform they were used to discussing (perhaps), 5.) Rambler: Responses to simple a.) requirements vetting and b.) sign-off request messages from a past client are discussed. They might have asked about root-cause analysis instead since this is one of their sweet spots.Interviewer could not answer question wrt metrics used on BIGG EYE (Big Data analysis tool created by the firm). Thought I may have been perceived as prying. 6.) HR meeting. Attempted to pay a complement by stating that I was impressed with firm's GD rating. Told that they do not "talk about Glass Door" ratings. A bit odd. No responses to the seven thank you emails I sent to the group.

Interview Questions

• If an interviewer has a preconceived perception to answer an answer based on third-party information already provided wrt interviewee and makes this point plain, and he lends that source undue credibility, it is difficult to overcome said perception.   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge in August 2013.

Interview

Insightful and thoughtful 6-8 hour interview schedule in one day, rather than 3-4 repeat visits. Each session allowed me to convey or demonstrate my experience whilst also presenting the type of work and challenges I would face day-to-day with Tacit Knowledge.

There was minimal repetition with the questions and I found the whole experience enjoyable. I especially appreciate the cultural fit lunch with colleagues I would not likely work with every day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was a couple of phone calls back and forth with the MD but we both had similar expectations and no surprises.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge (Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)).

Interview

Very challenging process but very rewarding, couple of phone calls, one more soft and one more techie, then invited to an in-house where we did a solution design exercise and a great pair programming interview, the person they paired me with was very senior and friendly. Oh they also took me to lunch with part of the team, it was then that I realized this was a company I wanted to work for.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tacit Knowledge (Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)) in August 2016.

Interview

Application and first touch with recruiter:
    Recruiter contacted me by linkedin and request to apply in a form online. Recruiter was soft and capable to communicate effectively and in time. All good.

Recruiter Interview:
    The first interview with recruiter was more related to my resume and past experience, benefits the company has to offer and expected salary. A few questions about agile and testing were asked.

Technical interview:
    The 100% technical interview, the interviewer questions were very ambiguous with no defined scope. Questions needs to be better rewritten and redefined.

Long In-house interview:
    *By mail, recruiter explained the stages of the in-house interview, to know what to expect. The real interview process and stages were different and unexpected.

*The first stage (2 hours long aprox) was related to career experience and current job. Is not ethical that tacit company is requesting to explain step by step the internal processes (with flowcharts) of candidate's current job, instead of valuate candidate experience. This experience makes me wonder if I was the interviewed or if the company who i work for currently was being evaluated. There are no need of this kind of explanations if interviewer ask key questions, for example.

*For the second stage with different interviewers was related to problems resolutions/quiz. Statements requirements was not clear, understandable and not related to software development. "If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”-Einstein. Candidates may have strong capabilities for solving day to day scenarios related to the job who will be hired for rather than this kind of problems.
    Also the interviewer changed aspects of the scope every often, and the solutions provided were different every time making this experience exhaustive by another 2 hours approximately. It seems they are expecting problem should be solved exactly with the solution they are expecting. And when i asked how I will be evaluated with this kind of exercises, they explained to me there are no wrong answer and they are evaluating how the way of candidate thinks..... for me this was highly contradictory...

*At the end of the second stage interviewer explained we will move out to the next stage of the process but suddenly the other interviewer came back and leave me out of the building.
    The candidate should also know in advance if the in-house interview process can be terminated at anytime, promises of passing to the next stage by the same interviewers are considered rude. The whole process creates the expectation of a full day interview. I consider rude that one interviewer tells you you are going to the next stage and suddenly another person kicks you out of the building.

In general, I believe there are no need for such long in-house interview process if the first interviewers does the job well, key questions will be asked and not wasting candidate's time in the process and being treated with rudeness.

Interview Questions

• Statement was related to evaluate manufacture process of leggo blocks packages with different kind of shape, color and size.   1 Answer