KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 343 of over 363 reviews

3.9
Tenable CEO Amit Yoran
Amit Yoran
Pros
  • "Some opportunities to work from home were also a great perk(in 32 reviews)

• "Excellent work/life balance - Opportunities to work from home and prioritize personal and family life(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The company is growing very fast so a lot of people are new(in 21 reviews)

• "None of which are really negatives just a little growing pains(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Tenable and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Treats us very well.

Oct 11, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer Front End in Santa Clara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote culture. Openness to new ideas. Good compensation.

Cons

There are lots of org changes.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

"Everyone's burned out."

Oct 8, 2021 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Compensation is fair - Good benefits - Some good and kind people - Engaged team

Cons

This quote from another reviewer sums things up quite nicely: "Doing the right thing is not as important as doing something quickly." In short, Tenable is not a good place to work. They treat their employees badly, they lack clear strategy, and they are stuck in their ways. Burnout and lack of work-life balance are pervasive issues due to poor strategy and planning. In the face of this issue, leadership positioned burnout as an individual problem of sending emails during vacation and not turning on our OOO responders. But many reputable sources (HBR) show that burnout is an issue with the workplace or company culture. Therefore, adding managing burnout to an already overwhelmed employee's plate is futile and, frankly, ill-informed. When I was nearing my breaking point, I asked my HR rep how I could effectively communicate about burnout with my manager. The response: "I'm burned out. Everyone's burned out." She asked me what I would do if nothing were to change and I explained that I was unwilling to sacrifice my health for the job. She responded, "Maybe this isn't the right job for you." Instead of confronting the reality that they had scoped my role poorly, they decided to gaslight me by saying that everything had been a part of my job description and that "flexibility" was a requirement of my job. They are a "global, fast-paced company" so they must deliver on tight deadlines. If a ransomware attack or an actual crisis requires rapid response, working late would make sense. But throwing this in someone's face over an elective campaign with an arbitrary deadline is abusive and wrong. In addition, diversity is more of an afterthought than a priority. It was often left to me to speak up about the lack of diversity in their external campaigns. Once when I voiced concern, they responded that they didn't want to "misrepresent themselves" or "punish anyone for not being a minority." They also asserted that going forward, a lack of representation wouldn't be a dealbreaker for a campaign, and it should go forward regardless. I imagine they thought their decision sounded progressive; But as the only person of color on the team who begrudgingly spoke up, it felt dismissive, and their commitment to diversity seemed inauthentic. Even more, there were many other incidents of insensitivity and discrimination. After disclosing my disability early into my role, I was heavily micromanaged and regularly demeaned with ableist language. When I unexpectedly had to take a couple of days off due to a medical emergency, I was told there had been nothing to post during my absence. Unfortunately, I hadn't thought about how inconvenient my painful recovery would be for Tenable. After I spoke to HR about my feelings of burnout, the very ableist language became slightly less ableist. But my management began creating false narratives about my performance and put things I've never said in writing. It was clear that they were trying to push me out. And yet, when I gave my notice, they suddenly wanted my content and processes, and they deprioritized projects so I could achieve these transition tasks. After months of doubting myself, it was obvious that I wasn't bad at my job; they just didn't like the person behind the work. So I quit early. The worst part of it all is that there were wonderful people who were excited about the work I was doing, who recognized how overworked I was, and were still understanding and patient. They lost out on their progress because of my team's behavior. Amid the Great Resignation, you would think Tenable would work hard to retain talent, especially diverse talent, but I guess they don't want to misrepresent themselves. Overworking your employees may seem like a great way to save money, but attrition costs far more. I didn't do one thing for career development during my time there. I finished my onboarding training courses at 10 pm the night they were due. I didn't use any benefits except for my health insurance. A job is more than just how much work you put out. It's false advertising to call it a career if there's only time for execution and existential dread during regular hours. I encourage you to read the reviews, especially the negative ones. I didn't read them closely, and it just ended with more work trauma. However, in the few weeks since I left, my blood pressure is down, and I (and everyone around me) am much happier. So save yourself the medical spending and find a workplace that has reasonable expectations, listens to your feedback, and makes you feel valued.

1 person found this review helpful

Former Employee

Smoking’ Mirrors

Aug 17, 2021 - IT Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Probably the dedicated staff and that probably their only asset. The software is horrible with a bunch of bugs. Not sure how the sales team manages to sell such a bogus software.

Cons

I was recently on Linked and saw the CEO post that infamous quote about CFO asking the CEO about training the employees and people leaving. The CEO responds what if we don’t and they stay. Invest in your people. Tenable failed to do that and got rid of their work force and anyone that was getting paid more than their counter parts. They aren’t investing in their people. More like the C-Suite is investing in their own pockets. During the whole COVID situation during a call the CEO and the CFO asked “so what is going to happen to our stock numbers.” Keep in mind they were in the middle of laying half their workforce and they cared about the stock cause it directly impacted what they took home.

8 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Unattainable Quotas for Most Reps

Jul 26, 2021 - Commercial Territory Manager in Columbia, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good PTO Solid Benefits (stock, 401k match) Growth potential within company

Cons

Unrealistic quotas for reps. Silicon Valley has roughly the same quota as Upstate NY. If you’re a good rep and put in a top territory you’ll do well. If you don’t get the luck of the drawl you can be the best rep in the world and won’t hit. Consistently seeing top 5 reps not hitting quota. In 2018, not 1 rep hit quota. Following year wasn’t much better.

6 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work!

Sep 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership, benefits, team collaboration, flexible work environment,

Cons

Company is growing fast and priorities shift.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great place to work!

Aug 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, Training, Pay, Benefits, Paid time off

Cons

Management changes Pressure TM to Engineer ratio

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good company, don't care for their highest earners

Jul 12, 2021 - Territory Manager in Columbia, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

good co-workers, supportive management, good product

Cons

Top earners are penalized for success, quota increased dramatically

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Not getting better

Jun 21, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- excellent life/work balance - remote is part of the culture from before Covid - relevant work in the industry

Cons

- tech leadership no longer cares about the people; it's all metrics - doing the right thing is not as important as doing something quickly - can't figure out one direction to save their souls

6 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Hope it's a better company

Jul 24, 2021 - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

None that I can recall except that the company subscribed to remote work culture very early on.

Cons

- Toxic work environment - Leadership had no clue what direction they had to go - Bad treatment to employees, no empathy to customers

4 people found this review helpful
    11. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Jun 3, 2021 - Sales Development Representative in Columbia, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, great management, training was top notch

Cons

Nothing i can think of

Viewing 1 - 10 of 343 Reviews