Tenable Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Tenable CEO Amit Yoran
Amit Yoran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The option to work from home is a big plus" (in 22 reviews)

• "Work life balance is stellar - working remotely is a game changer" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "There can be some teething problems when a company is growing quite rapidly but this is true of any company" (in 15 reviews)

• "I would call them growing pains" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"DevOps Engineer"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer

I have been working at Tenable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and a feel of a company trying to keep up with todays technologies and AGILE process. Developers are encouraged to cross train and are capable of building out complete stack with little or no help from devops team after initial training. Things get done quickly, you are encouraged to suggest and take control of your projects. Management support is there in form of time and training. Good feedback from the team and clear vision as to where the company is going.

Cons

Like any big company that has been around for a while there are challenges. Its not easy to switch from on premise thinking to a cloud vision for most IT teams today. Yet there is a willingness to work together and overcome the challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job and listen to feedback as you are doing now.

"Excellent people and leadership."

Current Employee - SE Manager in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - SE Manager in Butler, PA

I have been working at Tenable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone wants to work together. There are no personal agendas. The entire company live the values.

Cons

It is massive growth and we are catching up with systems. But everyone recognizes it and we don’t just implement things that restrict us.

Advice to Management

Keep living the values and making yourselves approachable. You are the best senior leadership team I have ever had the privilege of working under.

"It's a different company today than it was in the past. Evolving with both pros and cons"

I worked at Tenable full-time

Pros

The employees. Annual developer brainstorming/hacka-thon called INIT. Work from home flexibility. Good salary and benefits. Amit Yoran is very knowledgeable and is respected in the security industry .

Cons

Small, slow growing vulnerability scanning market, technology that is written in a proprietary software language that no other company uses (created by the founder), many key executives departed in 2017 (original CEO, CRO, CMO, CPO, CSO, CHO) withing 3 months of the new CEO arriving. Some of the new executives don't have the leadership skills of the prior execs.

Advice to Management

Tenable got to where it was through teamwork, and a leadership team that encouraged each other and employees to be the best they can be. All of those leaders are gone now expect for a couple of them. Unfortunately, some of the replacement executives have caused most of the negative reviews you see on Glassdoor. Great companies have three key things in common. Number 1 - great leadership from the bottom of the org to the top of the org that encourages and values employees. Number 2 - tremendous honesty about what is and isn't working and an ability to change quickly. Number 3 - alignment - everyone pulling together for the common good (not finger pointing).

Tenable can be great, but there are headwinds blowing. The market is not big enough based on current Tenable offerings, and rebranding as the cyber exposure company to try to redefine it is a joke to those that know the market is really vulnerability management. Straddling the on premise and cloud/SaaS offerings is incredibly difficult. Keeping current on premises install based customers for Security Center in the fold, while more and more engineering gets put on to Tenable.io will make it very challenging. Finally, the SOAR (Security Orchestration, Automation and Response) market could make vulnerability management market a commodity.

"Was once a unique company..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Tenable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture allows managers, Directors, and VPs to pursue whatever goals they wish.
    The media image of this company is spotless. I learned that a successful company is one that is marketed and sold better than the competition.
    This company is currently in the right place at the right time. No meaningful competitors that can serve as a single source for similar functionality.
    When an issue gets raised by enough people, there is an effort to resolve it.
    There are many very smart people dotted throughout the organization.
    Casual business atmosphere.
    Knows how to get ranked as a best place to work, or any other comparison to gain attention.
    Interviewees have a good chance of being hired, as the company is growing.
    Despite challenges, always manages to climb to new heights.

Cons

This company doesn't fire employees, they fire departments. Ask them if they have a QA department this month.
    Documentation, compliance, procedures, and planning are non-existent across organizational boundaries. Could be a problem if they were ever acquired or attempted to IPO.
    Inter-department cooperation can be difficult.
    Project Management is non-existent.
    Strong opinions regarding vendors and technology along with constant power grabs make simple projects more complicated than they should be at a small company.
    After spending millions to onboard VPs, the same amount of work is being performed, with even less coordination.
    Witnessed a VP in a hockey jersey spitting sunflower seeds into a red solo cup while dressing down an employee. Classy place!
    Lack of a designated operations department means simple business processes are scattered across multiple entities. e.g. Shipping a package, corporate cell phone administration, remote office logistics, or even shuffling employee seating can be hilariously difficult.
    Frustrating lack of direction in some departments, leading to some back and forth on projects. Long term-strategy is missing. Do-overs are a waste of time.
    Customer Feedback regarding features and usability should be taken seriously. I've never understood why Customer Support doesn't riot.
    Products stubbornly cling to the concept of IPs for both functionality and licensing. Host-level functionality and licensing might make more sense.
    I believe Sales and QA were more effective 2 years ago. Both concern me.
    Any information pointing out a negative is publicly refuted, then quietly handled afterwards.
    Company suffers from extreme paranoia - this affects vendor selection, and calls employee loyalty into question needlessly.
    Company throws itself at unproven non-performers with well written resumes.
    Hiring is about quantity, not quality.
    Repackaging lesser products over and over isn't a strategy.
    It feels like turnover is increasing, with some notable members of staff beginning to vacate.
    Taught others; Learned very little.

Advice to Management

This review has been deleted 3 times. I re-post it every year. Negative comments about this organization are constantly being deleted.

I worked at Tenable for more than 6 years. During that time we were wildly successful. I was able to bring my prior experience to the table and witnessed them move from a start-up to a mid-sized company. I felt that I was able to bring positive change to my corner of the organization. The work was fun and rewarding.

Tenable is a darling of the security industry, and as such gets plenty of praise. I am opting to focus a bit more on the negative, in hopes that either current or future staff can keep the company on the right track. I was a technical employee, so most of my observations are from that viewpoint. In the end, anything I say is just an opinion, and could be refuted for the sake of appearances.

If you are a self-starter, you'll do fine. Had the ability in my first few years to clean-up and create platforms and procedures as I saw fit. If I defined a plan, scope, and budget, I could get approval to accomplish anything to move the company ahead. Once a platform was agreed upon and rolled out, usage was compulsory. This is to be expected in any mature enterprise.

The company has increasingly become a magnet for high maintenance employees with strong opinions and no boundaries. Don't like the standard issue equipment? Demand something else, you'll get it. Don't like an internal system? Stop using it and start using another one. This led to several competing and completely overlapping communications platforms, vendor relationships, procedures, and entire departments.

Product Development decides which bugs to pursue, and they dictate how the product should be used. The QA department at times pushed back on software releases. The solution to this conflict was to dissolve QA and merge them along with Content into the Dev teams. This power grab was a great idea on paper, but the quality of software releases since that time was ... interesting. I believe QA has been disolved TWICE at this point.

There is a staggering number of VPs associated with the development, marketing, and delivery of 4 products. There's 600 people in this company, not 6000. Original founders / VPs were fantastic, as they provided a unified vision and the direction to make things happen. Since they've started stepping back and hiring 'talented' management, the magic has begun to fade. Nobody knows what anybody else is doing until it's an emergency. Witnessed VPs simply defy corporate policies, create their own infrastructure, and hire contractors without corporate knowledge. When a VP on a conference call literally says "I don't know what my title or area of responsibility is" something isn't quite right.

The problem becomes worse when you have multiple Marketing departments or multiple IT/Platforms/Cloud/Engineering departments providing quite a bit of overlap with no overall plan.

Over the years it felt like the same 100 people still did all of the work, the only change being that we hired more people to either tell them how to do it or to get in the way.

HR Department was too busy attempting to takeover Operations (Facilities, IT, anything else they can make a play for) to actually perform HR functions. They seem somewhat disorganized and disconnected from the rest of the organization. My team was asked for our job descriptions and resumes multiple times, I assume because they were lost. I've had other employees compensation information emailed to me by accident(!). Spreadsheets of employee compensation show up in shared spaces or on printers (the numbers I saw actually contributed to my voluntary departure). Review time was always needlessly confusing. From what I gather, some of the worst elements of HR have moved on.

I'll stop here.

This review is longer than any employee review or project plan that I saw over 6 years. The ratings rise and fall from time to time, but the rating trends on Glassdoor have dropped since June 2014 and I can't say that I disagree.

"High Growth but Inconsistent Management Direction"

I worked at Tenable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice culture; start up company culture; remote working option; solid products

Cons

limited product lines; no clear compensation plan between sales teams; too much internal competition; still run like a small company; need to be bought or buy additional products

"An untenable situation"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Tenable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their marketing strategy seems strong, particularly the notion of "Cyber Exposure". They have a broad reach across many market sectors to sell in to.

Cons

All scanner products are based on a common codebase that's 25 years old. The code is the worst I've seen. All code is written in Tenable's proprietary NASL language, similar to but much less flexible than C, making development work an *extremely* dreary endeavour. The code is an unstructured conglomeration of features cobbled together over decades, no engineers I worked with understood how the features worked, limited docs. The technical leadership decided to kill most of the QA organization and so developers do all testing manually. It's the biggest circus I've seen we took the kids to Ringling Brothers.

Upper management does not seem competent, especially technical leadership.

The culture is silly, with peppy slogans from HR painted all over the walls, which the organization does not actually follow.

7. "Territory Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tenable is a great company with solid products, good customer service, and strong leadership. The culture is fantastic and the vision for the direction and future is very exciting. Lots of opportunities to grow in your career.

Cons

Not much to complain about. I suppose health benefits could be a tad bit better. The normal pains of a fast paced, growing company could be seen as a con but not if you have “been there/done that before.” Great place to work!

Advice to Management

Great work! Continue to listen to the employees and continue with over communicating as it is refreshing to see senior leaders not only listen to employee feedback but to implement employee suggestions and ideas.

8. "Great culture, work ethic, smart people"

I have been working at Tenable full-time

Pros

Learning cloud SaaS, work life balance

Cons

Distributed teams for younger folks may take some getting used to

Advice to Management

Improve HR onboarding process

"Classic mismanagement"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Remote, OR

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tenable used to be a fun place to work, and in fact in 2016 I left a glowing review on here that gave it 5/5 stars. Unfortunately in 2015 it sold its soul to VCs, the transition has mostly finished, and it pretty much went as expected. This review pertains solely to product/engineering, and not any of the other departments.

Cons

Everyone in top leadership seems to be here solely for the IPO. Of course I have no idea what they’re actually thinking, but you can tell by their actions that this is roughly the plan – we will get this company to IPO, and after that, well, who cares? There is little vision, there is no leadership, but there is lots of trying to make the company palatable to investors, and drawing the veil over customers' eyes just enough to hide the problems until everyone gets their money and can move on. I don’t think anyone in leadership has run a successful company, and it shows. Unfortunately these are the people responsible for building the other layers of management underneath them, so as you can imagine, these suffer too.

There is no real dedication to customers, nor to employees – I’m not actually sure what we’re dedicated to, besides making it through the lockup period. There is no desire to build a solid foundation or a long lasting company. If you join Tenable, for the first 3 months you will be dazzled by all the awesome technology we use, and feel that sweet new-job-feel-good buzz (which, by the way, is where I imagine all the positive reviews here come from – that, and HR’s push to improve our Glassdoor ratings; the rest of the ratings are built up from a time long gone by. Glassdoor could do with a Steam style review system.). After that, questions will slowly start to formulate in your mind; for example, why is no one really concerned about a 5 year plan? A 3 year plan? A… 2 year plan? Why is our platform built to scale massively and racks up a ton in bills, but has no customers? Why does it fail to scale for the few huge customers that we do have? Why are 50% of all support tickets filed to fester in a silent void – has no one, still, to this day, figured out the proper way to reliably communicate between support and engineering? Why does our product try to do 20 different things at once, but does not one thing well? Why does every team feel like they’re in their own little silo? Why are the best and brightest engineers working alongside me underpaid? Why does everyone talk about the structural issues we have privately, but never publicly? Are they even allowed to? Could… “transparency” just be a buzzword? Why are we trying to run a huge cloud platform with almost no documentation or a proper communication structure?

All of these questions can be answered if you think back to why the management across all levels here is incompetent – we’re going make it to IPO, after that, whoever wants to can pick up the bag.

That’s not to say everything here is woefully terrible – there are some very sharp people working here, some real awesome guys and gals, and if you’re lucky you’ll get a chance to be in a team with them and learn from them, as I have. Unfortunately they all seem to be taxed with constant meetings and fires, and you will watch them struggle to lift the company up, as management keeps dragging them down.

Advice to Management

Read the cons section.

"Interesting Problems and Great People"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The relatively recent focus on our cloud products has created opportunities to solve problems of scale and complexity as well as provided scope to apply new and exciting technologies.

Coupled with a commitment to continually improve process and empowering engineers, friendly and competent coworkers, and management that focuses on my professional growth, Tenable has become the highlight of my career.

Cons

Option grants are fairly scarce.
    Presently understaffed on engineers (but working on it).

Advice to Management

Provide employees with equity. I think we truly have the spirit of startup, but it doesn't always feel like we have a stake in the success.