Tenable Reviews | Glassdoor

Tenable CEO Amit Yoran
Amit Yoran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Tenable Network Security? Amenable NeatWork and Security you mean! (lol)"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Startup culture even for well established company
    • Relaxed atmosphere
    • Competitive Salary
    • Medical and Dental Benefits
    • Performance is rewarded
    • Training provided in US HQ
    • Full team takes part in new hire on-boarding
    • Tight camaraderie from all regional teams even when members are remote
    • Great team Spirit
    • Clear opportunity based targets
    • Huge growth and opportunities
    • Games/TV room for breaks
    • Free hot drinks

Cons

Where do I start.
    • I think I have repetitive stress syndrome from raising and lowering my Electric Standing Desk. No-one ever offered to assist me.
    • People got too good at PlayStation, I spend most of my lunch hours being destroyed at FIFA, I think some of them purchased the game to play at home for this sole purpose. Scum. My confidence is at an all-time low.
    • This wonderful new office has made me quite cocky when I tell people where I work. It's not a version of me that I like.
    • The convenient central location of the office comes at a cost. I look like a daddy long legs on a bicycle during my commute.
    • There are at least 4 coffee shops within a 100 metre radius of the office. I hate coffee.
    • Everyone is really helpful, friendly and welcoming here. SO creepy.
    • There are showers in the bathrooms. Bring your own towel though cos I had to drip dry twice, wasted 3 minutes there.
    • Regular and healthy snacks provided???? So it's guilt or obesity? I don't appreciate mind games.
    • Each employee's birthday is celebrated with gifts and food. I want to feel this special every day. This is not the case.
    • Frequent team building activities. My teammates in the escape rooms challenge were less than helpful.
    • A guy from Tech support told me to shut up once (clearly doesn't appreciate the BANTS). I think he's leaving now
    • Someone tried to learn an instrument in the office once. They've gone now.
    • Someone asked for a nap room once. They've gone now.

Advice to Management

This is anonymous. Please don't ask any questions.

Tenable Response

Jul 10, 2017 – Recruiter

Hi there fellow Tenable employee!

We’re glad to hear that you are having such a positive experience at “Amenable NeatWork Security,” and we hope we continue to provide a great work environment... More

"Nothing but positives to share...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, my favorite part about working at Tenable are THE PEOPLE. They care about the work that you do and they understand you have commitments outside of work. The team environment is what keeps me coming back day after day! I've also seen improvements in the onboarding/orientation since I started and I think that is a testament to upper management listening to the feedback they receive. Tenable has a great culture and those that immerse themselves in their work and make connections across the organization seem to flourish. I also really appreciate that the executives have an open door policy.

Cons

Honestly, couldn't think of anything to write here....

Advice to Management

Continue to be as transparent as possible and engage with all levels within the organization. It would be interesting to do a "lunch and learn" where folks across the organization could interact with executives in different functions and talk about Tenable and general career advice, etc - internal networking if you will.

"Was once a unique company..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Tenable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture allows managers, Directors, and VPs to pursue whatever goals they wish.
    The media image of this company is spotless. I learned that a successful company is one that is marketed and sold better than the competition.
    This company is currently in the right place at the right time. No meaningful competitors that can serve as a single source for similar functionality.
    When an issue gets raised by enough people, there is an effort to resolve it.
    There are many very smart people dotted throughout the organization.
    Casual business atmosphere.
    Knows how to get ranked as a best place to work, or any other comparison to gain attention.
    Interviewees have a good chance of being hired, as the company is growing.
    Despite challenges, always manages to climb to new heights.

Cons

This company doesn't fire employees, they fire departments. Ask them if they have a QA department this month.
    Documentation, compliance, procedures, and planning are non-existent across organizational boundaries. Could be a problem if they were ever acquired or attempted to IPO.
    Inter-department cooperation can be difficult.
    Project Management is non-existent.
    Strong opinions regarding vendors and technology along with constant power grabs make simple projects more complicated than they should be at a small company.
    After spending millions to onboard VPs, the same amount of work is being performed, with even less coordination.
    Witnessed a VP in a hockey jersey spitting sunflower seeds into a red solo cup while dressing down an employee. Classy place!
    Lack of a designated operations department means simple business processes are scattered across multiple entities. e.g. Shipping a package, corporate cell phone administration, remote office logistics, or even shuffling employee seating can be hilariously difficult.
    Frustrating lack of direction in some departments, leading to some back and forth on projects. Long term-strategy is missing. Do-overs are a waste of time.
    Customer Feedback regarding features and usability should be taken seriously. I've never understood why Customer Support doesn't riot.
    Products stubbornly cling to the concept of IPs for both functionality and licensing. Host-level functionality and licensing might make more sense.
    I believe Sales and QA were more effective 2 years ago. Both concern me.
    Any information pointing out a negative is publicly refuted, then quietly handled afterwards.
    Company suffers from extreme paranoia - this affects vendor selection, and calls employee loyalty into question needlessly.
    Company throws itself at unproven non-performers with well written resumes.
    Hiring is about quantity, not quality.
    Repackaging lesser products over and over isn't a strategy.
    It feels like turnover is increasing, with some notable members of staff beginning to vacate.
    Taught others; Learned very little.

Advice to Management

I worked at Tenable for more than 6 years. During that time we were wildly successful. I was able to bring my prior experience to the table and witnessed them move from a start-up to a mid-sized company. I felt that I was able to bring positive change to my corner of the organization. The work was fun and rewarding.

Tenable is a darling of the security industry, and as such gets plenty of praise. I am opting to focus a bit more on the negative, in hopes that either current or future staff can keep the company on the right track. I was a technical employee, so most of my observations are from that viewpoint. In the end, anything I say is just an opinion, and could be refuted for the sake of appearances.

If you are a self-starter, you'll do fine. Had the ability in my first few years to clean-up and create platforms and procedures as I saw fit. If I defined a plan, scope, and budget, I could get approval to accomplish anything to move the company ahead. Once a platform was agreed upon and rolled out, usage was compulsory. This is to be expected in any mature enterprise.

The company has increasingly become a magnet for high maintenance employees with strong opinions and no boundaries. Don't like the standard issue equipment? Demand something else, you'll get it. Don't like an internal system? Stop using it and start using another one. This has led to several competing and completely overlapping communications platforms, vendor relationships, procedures, and entire departments.

Product Development decides which bugs to pursue, and they dictate how the product should be used. The QA department at times pushed back on software releases. The solution to this conflict was to dissolve QA and merge them along with Content into the Dev teams. This power grab was a great idea on paper, but the quality of software releases since that time has been ... interesting.

There is a staggering number of VPs associated with the development, marketing, and delivery of 4 products. There's 600 people in this company, not 6000. Original founders / VPs were fantastic, as they provided a unified vision and the direction to make things happen. Since they've started stepping back and hiring 'talented' management, the magic has begun to fade. Nobody knows what anybody else is doing until it's an emergency. Witnessed VPs simply defy corporate policies, create their own infrastructure, and hire contractors without corporate knowledge. When a VP on a conference call literally says "I don't know what my title or area of responsibility is" something isn't quite right.

The problem becomes worse when you have multiple Marketing departments or multiple IT/Platforms/Cloud/Engineering departments providing quite a bit of overlap with no overall plan.

Over the years it felt like the same 100 people still did all of the work, the only change being that we hired more people to either tell them how to do it or to get in the way.

HR Department was too busy attempting to takeover Operations (Facilities, IT, anything else they can make a play for) to actually perform HR functions. They seem somewhat disorganized and disconnected from the rest of the organization. My team was asked for our job descriptions and resumes multiple times, I assume because they were lost. I've had other employees compensation information emailed to me by accident(!). Spreadsheets of employee compensation show up in shared spaces or on printers (the numbers I saw actually contributed to my voluntary departure). Noticed some interesting patterns in the form of terminated employees being replaced by ... acquaintances. Bi-weekly pay was announced, then was never spoke of again. Review time was always needlessly confusing. All of the above is surprising considering the large size of the department.

I'll stop here.

This review is longer than any employee review or project plan that I saw over 6 years. The ratings rise and fall from time to time, but the rating trends on Glassdoor have dropped since June 2014 and I can't say that I disagree.

"Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn. Fast paced. Direct managers seem to be truly interested in their employees succeeding. Remote work opportunities for good performance.

Cons

Compensation is way out of whack. People are being paid across the board far too little for what they're asked to do. People come in get trained then realize they can make 20 to 30 thousand more down the street and leave. Changes are shoved down the throat of the employees with no overall plan communicated abd no warning. Every minute of every day is planned for what you need to be doing . Everyone is under a microscope by departmental management rather than management focusing on getting better tools and processes in place.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to control every minute and pay people with their worth. Start a culture of keeping people in the department rather than the revolving door it has become.

"Execs, you can still correct this trend"

I have been working at Tenable full-time

Pros

Fabulous products
    Genuinely committed associates
    Remote work options
    High tech tools
    Reasonable vacation, if you can take it

Cons

Arrogant senior leadership
    "Transformation" looks a whole lot like chaos
    Unrealistic demands
    Lower-than-market compensation

Advice to Management

Stop trying to replicate 'Silicon Valley', and start preserving the human capital that made our company successful.
    A year ago, I gave Tenable 5 stars and was excited to go to work. My team was growing, learning, helping each other, and ready to tackle each new challenge. And the company grew by an extraordinary percentage. Twelve months later, that entire reporting structure has been wiped out and (not surprisingly) we missed our growth targets. Processes no longer work, communication stops at the executive team, and the new executive team rules by fear rather than inspiration. More importantly, those same employees who helped you succeed in 2016 are now either fired or burnt out to the point of leaving. I see this trend across the board: in engineering, sales, marketing, etc. But it is not too late to change.

"Chaos"

I have been working at Tenable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work from home options are great
    still a few good people left

Cons

product stradegy is messed up.
    long tenured employees leaving or being let go
    hr is a complete and utter mess
    "beatings will continue until morale improves" feels like the theme

Advice to Management

sure hope you're on a sell the company plan here because that's the only good outcome that comes to mind with current actions.
    too many cooks and directors and senior directors that don't know what they're doing or what other groups are doing. no one doing the actual work seems to know wtf is coming next.
    hr is a mess and it beggers belief that they haven't been called out. a joke within the company.

"Fantastic pl;ace to work"

I have been working at Tenable full-time

Pros

The people here are all incredibly friendly and down to earth, I learn new things every day here. On-boarding was fast and efficient, new hire orientation gave me a very deep look at the company as a whole and the culture here.

Cons

None that I can think of, unless you consider free food a con since it'll go to your waist.

"Teal is my favorite color now"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Sandy, OR
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Sandy, OR

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Remote work option is a blessing
    -Forward thinking and transparent leadership that support me and give me opportunities for growth
    -Great technology to play with (k8s, docker, CI/CD pipelines, etc)
    -Great pay and benefits (including professional development allowances)
    -Top notch colleagues to collaborate with, no "brogramming" or "cliques"

Cons

None that I can think of that are worth publicly noting. It's a growing company and they will have "growing pains", as people say. Any minor con has been handled with genuine care and attention in my experience. In-fact better than majority of companies I've worked for in the past, which makes it difficult to list any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to be as transparent as possible
    Continue to invest in employees through conferences and trainings
    Continue to be a forward-thinking organization that is open to new ideas and experimentation

"It’s a paycheck"

I worked at Tenable full-time

Pros

Tenable has a good reputation in Maryland and will look good on your resume. It will be a cornerstone historical marker for the future local cyber industry - a net gain for your personal network. The employees are generally good and want to do well here. If you are offered a position that will grow your skills with decent pay, take it. But beware of the emotional hit you will take from the cons below.

Cons

The culture is stale and broken. People are not happy and are totally stressed out without any signs things will change. There is no trust in management - and I say management because there is no leadership. There is little room for advancement beyond your current role, and no defined career tracks. No one is looking out for you.

All of this promotes mediocrity. Show up, do meaningless work, go home. Hope that next week things get better, but know it won’t. Read more 1-star Glassdoor reviews. Repeat.

Advice to Management

You are the problem. Your company is 100% human capital. You are only focused on numbers and results. This failure to correctly nurture and lead your employee base to maximize its return is a drag on performance that will ultimately bring you down, regardless of how strong the cyber market remains.

"Former Tenable Employee"

I worked at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent health care insurance - besides that nothing.

Cons

Passive Aggressive culture and networking driven. Many people add nothing but have titles and add to the frustration levels of those working. Many issues with the product and lots of mid and Sr management infighting.

Advice to Management

none