Tenable Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tenable CEO Amit Yoran
Amit Yoran

Pros
Cons
  • The on boarding process can be bad with the rate of of how fast the company is growing (in 11 reviews)

• A few growing pains that comes with doubling is size including lack of defined processes (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"One of the best tech companies on the east coast"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tenable is the best place I have worked at in my career. The culture is amazing - not too corporate, not too "hey we're a startup let's bounce around on yoga balls all day", everyone is super relaxed and yet professional at the same time. Remote workers are not second citizens, my manager listens to me, supports me, and trusts me to get my work done. Everyone is treated based on merit and not seniority (which would be hard to do, considering how many new hires we have). My coworkers are all really smart - Tenable seems to attract good people, I have worked in defense contracting in the MD area where some people just come to work to get a paycheck, everyone here is enthusiastic and hard working. Upper management seems very involved and active in the future of the company, and constantly communicate the plan to the rest of the company. There is always lots to do and many new challenges lie ahead, so coming to work is exciting every day! I'm speaking just for engineering here, by the way - I have seen some negative reviews from other departments, but frankly I have not experienced any of the issues those people describe.

Cons

Company is growing at an enormous rate. I think we have doubled in size over the last 2-3 years and plan to keep going at the same rate or even faster. So far this has been handled pretty well, and this is all a good thing, but I'm apprehensive about whether it's possible to stick to the same values and culture when growing this fast.

Advice to Management

Just keep listening to your employees, because it will keep getting harder as we get bigger and bigger.

2. "Top level mgm't changes in 2017"

Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI

I worked at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, great compensation for territory sales people.

Cons

Took too long to have a full featured cloud-based solution to compete with Qualys.

3. "Exciting hyper-growth company to work for, excellent opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time

Pros

Constantly changing as we grow so rapidly, creates a lot of opportunities to learn and make your mark
    Great recruiting team brings in excellent talent
    Investment in employees is clear

Cons

Constantly changing as we grow so rapidly, means a LOT of work to be done

Advice to Management

Create extremely clear corporate priorities and put money where it counts

"Very good"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Tenable part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had no problem everything was very smooth never had such a easy time in my life everything just seem to work out for me and I'm grateful

Cons

Believe it or not there were no cons at all everything just worked out for me and I am very grateful for that

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Engineering management was a mess"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never come to the office if you don't want to. Company loves spending money on various employee functions.

Cons

Engineers almost never come to the office, even people that live 10-15 minutes away. Management doesn't seem to communicate direction with engineering. Often a complete disconnect between customer needs and engineering goals. Integration between engineering teams that provide overlapping resources was nonexistent. Lack of innovative new products or features, with an overall weak product line offering in comparison to direct competitors. No profit sharing or stock options. Terrible healthcare for a company of this size and age.

Also, a huge red flag to me was the fact that there I was given no technical interview whatsoever before being hired.

Floored

Advice to Management

Start making products that actually protect the customer, instead of products that say "hey you're vulnerable, but I'm not actually doing anything about it"

"Territory Account Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology, people and management

Cons

Somewhat new to the channel

"Horrible Place to Work"

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great offices with free snacks, coffee and water.

Cons

Tenable is clearly ramping up to sell the company. This is evident by the over-hiring of sales people in order to quickly build up pipeline and increase the valuation of the company. While this is great for the investors it is a horrible way to treat the employees and their families.

Horrible managers (specifically the Sales VPs) that are constantly and blatantly grasping for power and throwing their own people under the bus.

Sales teams are unorganized and there are very few experienced sales managers with real world selling experience. Most of the sales management have been here for a very long time and for many of them this is their first sales or management position.

Territories have been drastically reduced due to the over-hiring of sales people. Some territories have been reduced by over 75% over the past 12 months.

Very few products to sell and those products have a very low average sales price. If you combine that with the constantly reducing territories and high sales quotas you can quickly see that it is very hard to hit your numbers.

Products have failed to pass the initial qualifications to be Fedramp certified.

Tenable has chosen to be a vulnerability management company and is holding steadfast to that theme by not expanding the tools out of those bounds. This causes problems for the sales teams as there is a cap on the benefits that Tenable can offer potential buyers.

Competitors have similar products that are developed to work in the cloud and are offered at a significantly reduced price.

Advice to Management

Replace the tired and inexperienced sales management team with "A" players that have experience building companies.

Develop a platform that can do more than just tell a user that they have a problem in their network.

Treat your sales teams with respect and understand the dilemma that you've put them in by overhearing and mismanaging territories.

"Going downhill fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It used to be a great company, one of the best places to work as evidenced by all the positive reviews here but things are changing at Tenable. Fast.

Cons

After they received their most recent infusion of capital and pushed out the founding CEO, things at Tenable languished for some time. The momentum they had built up kept them going but several months with no one at the head of the company left things ripe for failure. The recruitment of Amit Yoran as CEO has not helped to maintain the awesome culture that had been built up until that point. Amit is a great visionary but he is not really a great company leader, add to that mix a weak (from a leadership point of view) CFO and CTO and you end up with a bunch of new VPs who are all trying to fight and claw their way to more power with no one strong enough to reign them in. This of course leaves the rank and file extremely vulnerable.
    A few examples, last fall when the new product was behind schedule the head of development basically threatened all the developers in an effort to motivate them to work harder. He promised to cancel any and all holiday time off if development goals where not met. Bonuses for the entire company, which can equal up to 10 to 15% of salary for some people, were withheld this year for over two months as a way to 'motivate' the workforce into shipping the new product on time. The new CMO who has been on the job less than a month arbitrarily fired three people, with no attempt to move them elsewhere within the company despite having over 100 openings.
    Some of the good mid level managers have seen the writing on the wall and are starting to leave. This of course is only making things worse as the previously awesome culture starts to dissipate there are fewer and fewer people left to hold things together. As the pressure to maintain revenue numbers in advance of a potential IPO escalates expect the working environment to continue to deteriorate.
    If you currently work at Tenable I'd start shopping your resume around now in case things get to the point where you need to jump. If you are thinking of applying to Tenable be aware of what you might be getting into. Tenable might be able to get out of this mess and right the ship but it won't be easy.

Advice to Management

The best advice would be to bring back Ron but I know that's not possible. That means it falls to Jack and Renaud to step up and take charge. Don't let Amit and the motley band of ineffective VP infighters destroy what was once a great company and could be again.

"Undeniably one of the best places it work in the area"

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and very fair salary. A nice relaxing vibe from the CEO down, I don't feel micromanaged or as though unrealistic expectations are being forced on me. Everyone I work with is awesome.

Cons

It is a growing company, they have a solid vision for the future but a road map is always going to meet some twist and turns. Expect change, expect challenges.

"Finally! I found the place where I belong and I plan to stick around for a while..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been wanting to work at Tenable for years. Why did I want to work here so bad? The corporate culture. I knew it would be a perfect fit. Each person approaches their job both professionally and passionately. We work hard but also play hard. HR has done an amazing job at ensuring that any and all of our needs for work and play are met, only further reinforcing that this great work family remains great. Telecommuting options are never a problem when needed, but we also don't seem to mind going into our fun office every day, either. There is always an opportunity to grow or move around if you choose to do so. It is an exciting time - we feel the evolution of the company and we all are evolving with it. Sometimes it can be confusing, but perhaps since I have been here less than a year I find it also very excitin!

Cons

This company is growing by leaps and bounds. With the rapid expansion sometimes it feels a little difficult to keep up with the changing tides, especially for the newer employees. There is anon-boarding session at the time of hire to go over a lot of information for half a day. In my case, there wasn't much after that and I had to find my own footing. Being new it was hard to figure out the organization of the company or where to go for what information - even something as simple as how to secure a conference room or a list of department alias emails for which group does what!

Overall, my main con would be often it feels like one department hasn't a clue what the other is doing and there are a lot of redundancies and/or confusion. Sometimes it is really difficult to get the information you need to do your job effectively and efficiently. Perhaps if there was more cross-collaboration perhaps we could have a more unified voice and a stronger, unified Tenable.

Advice to Management

Growing pains are never easy. Management is trying to adjust and keep employees informed on a broad level through town hall meetings, a corporate web portal, and newsletter blasts. Interdepartmental communications seemed to be very confusing when I began, however I feel it is just now beginning move in a better direction, but still isn't quite there yet. I think that sometimes things are looked at on such a broad level that perhaps management isn't aware of some of what is happening on the granular, and what they can do to help improve upon that. Remember that the granular details and infrastructure is needed to support the broad goals.