Tenable Reviews

Updated Sep 14, 2020

3.4
Tenable CEO Amit Yoran
Amit Yoran
Pros
  • "Some opportunities to work from home were also a great perk(in 32 reviews)

• "Excellent work/life balance - Opportunities to work from home and prioritize personal and family life(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing very fast so a lot of people are new(in 20 reviews)

• "None of which are really negatives just a little growing pains(in 14 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Associate Security Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits, Managers show they care about their team

Cons

Company is growing. While this is a good thing, it doesnt feel like im working for a small company that feels like a "Family" - now it feels like im working for a corporation

2. "Lots of learning and good work environment"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time for more than a year

Pros

lots of learning to be had

Cons

can be mentally taxing at times

3. "Working at Tenable"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales Relationship Manager

I have been working at Tenable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent leadership within the sales organization that truly invests in sales reps success.

Cons

Inside sales can be more difficult to develop new business. A lot of times, territory assignment plays a big role in most successful reps rather than effort and drive.

"DEI is just for show"

2.0

I have been working at Tenable full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Solid products -Leadership at managerial level is great. Director and above? Not so much.

Cons

As a woman of color, I was ecstatic to see the progress Tenable made by creating groups like Black@Tenable, Women@Tenable and Pride@Tenable. Unfortunately, that progress has come to a hault. These groups hardly ever meet and if they do nothing is ever accomplished! Nothing is being done to actually make this an inclusive place to work. Have you looked at our leadership? Mostly men, mostly white. Leadership continues to lean on the fact that the company implemented the "Rooney Rule" for hiring, but it's clearly not working! Tenable isn't even doing the bare minimum to support its diverse employees. Not to mention, it's a boys club! If you're the only female in a meeting- good luck to you. You will get a pat on your head for participating in the conversation yet still be deemed incapable of doing your job. There are so many other tech companies that are doing leaps and bounds more than Tenable to truly be inclusive and push for a more diverse workforce. This used to be a great place to work. It's all just for show now.

Tenable Response

Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. Tenable's philosophy is that our Diversity and Inclusion efforts represent a long-term investment and require unwavering commitment. While we've made progress -- assigning executive sponsors and champions to employee-led Resource Groups (Women@, Black@, Pride@, AZN@ and Veterans@); investing in hiring initiatives such as AIRS-Certified Diversity Training and diversity recruiting; and sponsoring organizations such as Grace Hopper to support underrepresented groups in the technology space -- we recognize that we have a lot more work to do. We are focused on welcoming people from all backgrounds to our company and to building a culture where we not only celebrate our differences, but use diversity to our competitive advantage.

"Good place to work at"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Tenable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong remote culture Great engineers Great product

Cons

Over the last few years there have been too many reorganizations. Hopefully the company stabilizes as they mature.

6. COVID-19

"A Smoke Screen"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Tenable full-time

Pros

It’s okay...depending on the department your in.

Cons

Tenable should be called Turn-A-Ble. The company goes through a hiring phase and then a firing phase. Your job stability is always shaking depending on what’s going on. When COVID hit the CEO started doing weekly hands on. He discussed how much “cash in the bank” we had and new customers they were bringing onboard. This after in April after laying off a good portion of workforce. Still discussing how great things are. May comes around and lays off another huge portion of the workforce. If your such a cash wealthy company why all the layoffs? The CEO and Executive Team doesn’t care of the employees. Everyone on the team is former buddies of the CEO from his time at Oracle. They will talk about how Tenable is a company that’s doing something good...but never discuss what they have done internally. It’s a very clique and “bros” based company. Given the size it’s who you know not what you’ve done for them. If your working for a large enterprise don’t let Tenable’s mission statement lure you in.

7. COVID-19

"Overworked, underpaid, betrayed, lack diversity, dishonesty"

1.0
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing, maybe the pros are the fact that you work for a company that is recognizable.

Cons

I work in Technical support as a TSE, that right; the worst department in the entire company. Where do I begin. The managers and customer reps team up on you and pressure you to resolve an issue that is, most of the time, user error. Managers are not your friend, they smile, and say all these nice things about you, but wont hesitate to fire you and overwork you to death. "Snake in the grass" Your job is not secure, they treat you like an expandable employee, and indirectly tells you. Constantly applying pressure, and makes you doubt your status in the company. doubt and fear is their tactic. They fired so many people, who just needed some help, and during Covid 19 , they have layed off people when we supposedly have so much money. They did it to maximize profits, and to overwork us to death. All the engineers are stressed out and dying . The managers are literally relaxing and having a good time, while we barely have time for a break, and our hands hurt from non stop typing. They hate to give you a career growth, or a chance ot learn something. They even hate it when you take a vacation! So many people have suffered during these bad times, and the managers are manipulating us. The customers lack respect for us because the managers allow it to happen. I will never wish this on my worst enemy, this place is just dreadful, all the seniors wont help you, and no one has the answers. These good reviews are fake, fake fake, Tenable HR pay or force employees to write a good review. The management team has systematically design engineers to be in division and to hate each other. We are broken into teams and are set up to fight each other. I realized they set it up this way to control us and to make us feel helpless. I am strong enough to last here until this covid 19 is over with, but I say to those out there, don't come here, there is so much better out there. I hope that I have saved people by writing this, the truth!

Tenable Response

COO

Thank you for taking the time to submit your experience at Tenable. What you describe is not the company that we aspire to be, nor does it reflect the standards to which we hold ourselves accountable. We take employee feedback very seriously and we have a track record of developing programs and refining existing ones based on what our employees think and feel and say. Across the company, we have just completed our annual Employee Engagement Survey and will add these comments to the responses from the Technical Support Team. We will then work on an action plan to address your feedback. If you have additional feedback, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss it with you directly.

"Listen to the bad reviews. They are not fake."

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Tenable full-time

Pros

Snacks are a coddle, along with WFH. Some people are good, and many of those good folks share the same frustration.

Cons

In my opinion the cons outweigh the pros by a landslide. I feel this place is a cesspool of hate - and cliques. It seems some management tries to instill fear of employees of speaking up, or challenging management decisions. There are employees that have been there for a long time that adds to the toxic work environment. The lack of documentation for a proprietary software is frustrating. The mentioned individuals are reluctant to help. They will provide condescending responses, and management doesn't see a problem with it. You do not establish or encourage collaboration with that type of mindset. This is a HUGE culture problem. I feel that management really doesn't care about your wellbeing or career growth - it is all a facade. ONLY if it is within the proprietary realm of their software. Again, contradicting of their “innovative views” for progressing career growth. It appears that some teams thrive on weak minded individuals who can be taken advantage of. This includes career growth, and very minimal pay. Lesser than their worth. This consists of many college students who have just started their career. But ANYTHING to maximize the profit of the company manipulating expendable employees. If you choose to work here - you may be able to thrive in what some would consider “a toxic environment” since that is what you are used to. OR you may not know any better, knowing that is NOT how a work environment should be. If you are used to (or desire) a workplace that does not drain you, do yourself a favor...Do not even think about working here. As someone has said, "Good ole boy network" appears to be here. The company is so stuck on actually making money through sales - when internal operations and development (in my opinion) are in shambles. POV from how I saw it during my time. Again - you have been WARNED. The FACT is, I resent to have worked here. I wouldn’t suggest this place to my worst enemy. They couldn’t pay me enough to come back.

Continue reading
  9. "Best CEO Beard in the business!"

5.0

I have been working at Tenable full-time for less than a year

Pros

Who wouldn't want to work for the best looking beard since the immortal Wolfman Jack? 10/10 would do again!

Cons

Really? What's not to love?

10. "Great CEO/workplace, casual atmosphere"

4.0
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work environment, competitive pay, room to make progress/move up the ladder. Casual attire, and plenty of snacks

Cons

Public companies always tend to have tighter limitations/restrictions than pre-IPO time

Found 291 reviews