Tenable Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Tenable CEO Amit Yoran
Amit Yoran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good people to work with and a great work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is a game-changer (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Tenable Network Security? Amenable NeatWork and Security you mean! (lol)"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Startup culture even for well established company
    • Relaxed atmosphere
    • Competitive Salary
    • Medical and Dental Benefits
    • Performance is rewarded
    • Training provided in US HQ
    • Full team takes part in new hire on-boarding
    • Tight camaraderie from all regional teams even when members are remote
    • Great team Spirit
    • Clear opportunity based targets
    • Huge growth and opportunities
    • Games/TV room for breaks
    • Free hot drinks

Cons

Where do I start.
    • I think I have repetitive stress syndrome from raising and lowering my Electric Standing Desk. No-one ever offered to assist me.
    • People got too good at PlayStation, I spend most of my lunch hours being destroyed at FIFA, I think some of them purchased the game to play at home for this sole purpose. Scum. My confidence is at an all-time low.
    • This wonderful new office has made me quite cocky when I tell people where I work. It's not a version of me that I like.
    • The convenient central location of the office comes at a cost. I look like a daddy long legs on a bicycle during my commute.
    • There are at least 4 coffee shops within a 100 metre radius of the office. I hate coffee.
    • Everyone is really helpful, friendly and welcoming here. SO creepy.
    • There are showers in the bathrooms. Bring your own towel though cos I had to drip dry twice, wasted 3 minutes there.
    • Regular and healthy snacks provided???? So it's guilt or obesity? I don't appreciate mind games.
    • Each employee's birthday is celebrated with gifts and food. I want to feel this special every day. This is not the case.
    • Frequent team building activities. My teammates in the escape rooms challenge were less than helpful.
    • A guy from Tech support told me to shut up once (clearly doesn't appreciate the BANTS). I think he's leaving now
    • Someone tried to learn an instrument in the office once. They've gone now.
    • Someone asked for a nap room once. They've gone now.

Advice to Management

This is anonymous. Please don't ask any questions.

Tenable Response

Jul 10, 2017 – Recruiter

Hi there fellow Tenable employee!

We’re glad to hear that you are having such a positive experience at “Amenable NeatWork Security,” and we hope we continue to provide a great work environment... More

"Nothing but positives to share...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, my favorite part about working at Tenable are THE PEOPLE. They care about the work that you do and they understand you have commitments outside of work. The team environment is what keeps me coming back day after day! I've also seen improvements in the onboarding/orientation since I started and I think that is a testament to upper management listening to the feedback they receive. Tenable has a great culture and those that immerse themselves in their work and make connections across the organization seem to flourish. I also really appreciate that the executives have an open door policy.

Cons

Honestly, couldn't think of anything to write here....

Advice to Management

Continue to be as transparent as possible and engage with all levels within the organization. It would be interesting to do a "lunch and learn" where folks across the organization could interact with executives in different functions and talk about Tenable and general career advice, etc - internal networking if you will.

"Review of Reviews - My take"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. “Remote work opportunities for good performance.” - True
    2. “Huge opportunity in the market place” - True atm, but getting riskier
    3. “Reasonable vacation, if you can take it” - True
    4. “Office in great location and has incredible view” - True
    5. “Good salary and perks, travel, amazing workspaces and a great team of like minded individuals.” - Corporate smell but parts are true
    6. “Daily rants and micromanaging by executives who don’t know what they’re doing” - Is that a Pro, Bro ? :-) :-)
    7. “Good office vibe.” - Lol, NO !!!
    8. “Nothing by positive to share” - Lol, I’ll let you judge the smell of this one
    9. “still a few good people left” - True
    10. “Relaxed atmosphere.” - Not if you are anywhere in product development. If you work in HR or some group that does nothing, sure.
    11. “I also really appreciate that the executives have an open door policy.” - Lolwut
    12. “Tenable has a good reputation in Maryland and will look good on your resume” - Not sure, but probably some truth.
    13. “I have repetitive stress syndrome from raising and lowering my Electric Standing Desk. No-one ever offered to assist me.” - Funny. They do have standing desks in the Ireland office. So some truth here.
    14. “It will be a cornerstone historical marker for the future local cyber industry” - Lolwut, a bit smell of bees here
    15. “they say IPO is coming” - Yup, so they are saying
    16. “I like working remotely, salary is not bad, company has some good plans” - Yup, Yup and Yup. True
    17. “Pretty much standard benefits, pay, good software etc.” - True
    18. “Tenable has been a fantastic place to work” - Good for you buddy. I hate it though.
    19. “The product team has gone from strength to strength, changes made to the SDLC, whilst initially painful, are now paying dividends” - Totally fake comment. People hate that SDLC with a passion and it is driving people nots. How in the world did

Cons

1. “My complaints - people who do nothing and people who treat others like they are not dignified human beings.” - Spot on
    2. “Not a people for humble technical workers. If you are a erk who can muscle people around, welcome, you can have my job in a few weeks.” - Nailed it
    3. “Some managers try to change things, but they don't know how to. Their approach is very blunt and disrespectful.” - Yup, Yup
    4. “Pretty bad and condescending tone from managers.” - I 2nd that
    5. “Problem is management likes to shove things down people's throats and have lost credibility.” - I agree
    6. “It is hard for me to recommend this place to my friends” - So do I. They will hate me for it
    7. “You will be constantly struggling to cover yourbeehinds.” - That is part of the job, yes. Sucks a lot of energy and pretty much guarantees that nobody is speaking their minds and the management is not getting the right advice
    8. “There is no joy in the company” - So true. I am miserable and so are my co-workers
    9. “I also HATE those Friday meetings” - I hate em with a passion. BUT LISTEN TO THIS - Management has listened and a drastic change has been made…..Drum Beat…..Those meetings have been move to a Tuesday !!!! Yay !!!!….Lol. As you can imagine the managers TOTALLY missed the point here and gives you a peak into the culture. Instead of whopping you behinds on Fridays, we’ll do it on Tuesdays :-) :-)
    10. “None that I see the need to legitimately slander the company I care so much about.” - WOW !! Just Wow. This guy/gal is gonna marry the company I think.

"Territory Manager"

Pros

Awesome team environment, everyone willing to help.

Cons

May be trying to grow a bit fast. Small TAM for vulnerability management.

Advice to Management

Communicate the vision

"Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Tenable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn. Fast paced. Direct managers seem to be truly interested in their employees succeeding. Remote work opportunities for good performance.

Cons

Compensation is way out of whack. People are being paid across the board far too little for what they're asked to do. People come in get trained then realize they can make 20 to 30 thousand more down the street and leave. Changes are shoved down the throat of the employees with no overall plan communicated abd no warning. Every minute of every day is planned for what you need to be doing . Everyone is under a microscope by departmental management rather than management focusing on getting better tools and processes in place.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to control every minute and pay people with their worth. Start a culture of keeping people in the department rather than the revolving door it has become.

"Tenable Review"

I have been working at Tenable full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and opportunity for growth
    Great Investment in technology and people
    Huge opportunity in the market place

Cons

Unrealistic expectations on bandwidth and workloads
    Lack of willingness by leadership to let employees own their responsibilities

"Execs, you can still correct this trend"

I have been working at Tenable full-time

Pros

Fabulous products
    Genuinely committed associates
    Remote work options
    High tech tools
    Reasonable vacation, if you can take it

Cons

Arrogant senior leadership
    "Transformation" looks a whole lot like chaos
    Unrealistic demands
    Lower-than-market compensation

Advice to Management

Stop trying to replicate 'Silicon Valley', and start preserving the human capital that made our company successful.
    A year ago, I gave Tenable 5 stars and was excited to go to work. My team was growing, learning, helping each other, and ready to tackle each new challenge. And the company grew by an extraordinary percentage. Twelve months later, that entire reporting structure has been wiped out and (not surprisingly) we missed our growth targets. Processes no longer work, communication stops at the executive team, and the new executive team rules by fear rather than inspiration. More importantly, those same employees who helped you succeed in 2016 are now either fired or burnt out to the point of leaving. I see this trend across the board: in engineering, sales, marketing, etc. But it is not too late to change.

"Too much negativity in culture, super chaotic too, people leaving in droves"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tenable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For Pros read other reviews, there r plenty from HR that are gushing with love for the company. In general legacy software is good and you get to work from home if that is something you value

Cons

I absolutely despise the work culture and if the daily departures of key people is any indication, so do other people. So really really really bad people have been hired, maybe that is by design and managers want to install their own people, but overall the middle management layer has created a toxic work culture. They love to dress down people. That is what defines the culture. Fear of getting dressed down. Which guarantees that no respectful constructive discussion can happen. Who wants to be insulted in large team meetings ?

Company claims it is an Agile shop. It is as far from Agile as any company can be. In fact it is worse than old school water fall. Manager do WHATEVER the heck they want and in the end some low level employee is blamed for stuff not working.

The new cloud platform is very very badly designed. Never seen a company that starts to fix totally broken stuff as soon as it launches it. This one does. Now whose fault is it ? Will any of the VPs and Directors be held accountable ? No way. But they are free to run wild and beat up on the employees. How in the world did it become acceptable to treat people with such disrespect ?

ALL departments are losing key people. Marketing is practically empty and good luck to new hires. They have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

People are overworked like crazy. Hard working people have to pay the price for people who do nothing. Entire company maybe gridlocked for months cause of one team or person, but nobody will do anything. Tons of travel too, useless travel.

I would never recommend this company to anybody or would ever work at a place where one of these mangers work.

Advice to Management

You would take none

"Awful Place - DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME"

I worked at Tenable full-time

Pros

I must enter at least 5 words here to publish this review... Here they are.

Cons

Awful environment with demotivational management team. Products are ok but pretty much a commodity. Low pay, uneducated, inexperienced and micro-managing middle management.

Advice to Management

This is a worthless Maryland based company that can't get out of its own way. My advice to management.... Quickly walk away and let the company die its predestined death. The faster you walk away the less impact it will have on your reputation.

"Glory days are over - not recommended"

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tenable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good products, some cool intelligent people.

Cons

I landed on glassdoor and saw these 5 stars, all positive and nothing but positive reviews and couldn't help but laugh. Really ? Like Really ? Like nothing is wrong or could be improved ? I mean come on HR or whoever is posting those reviews. Try not be so over the top and at least pretend that genuine employees are writing the reviews :-) :-)

Now coming to actual review - things are pretty bad, cannot deny that. Chaos, confusion, revolving door, bad processes, bad senior management.....all of that stuff others have talked about is pretty much true. Some reviews are way more negative that others, but overall things are on the negative side. I personally don't respect the VP/Director/Sr.Director level employees, that have been brought on board in the last year or so. Silicon Valley haughtiness and condescension is taking over. Pretty bad tone flows from top of the chain to the bottom. It can be too much to bear at times. I think it is the company's battle to lose. They need to change things. I don't recommend Tenable to my friends anymore. Those who joined in recent past are miserable. I am personally miserable too. No career growth and glory unless you are friends with managers from past jobs. Some amazing technical talent has left and it leaving every day. Poor people leaving before they are are canned due to some trivial philosophical thing their VP believes in.

Overall there is this environment of frustration, unhappiness and general lack of motivation. And it is all driven by the tone set by management. The attempts to get feedback sometimes comes across as total fake.

At this moment, I cannot recommend Tenable to anybody for employment. I myself want to get out.

Advice to Management

People are leaving, on-boarding new people is hard, so try to do something to keep people.