TitleMax Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tracy Young

Pros
  • Advancement opportunities for employees, ability to transfer with the company, good pay, good benefits, (in 32 reviews)

• Great pay, great people to work with, very busy/ fast work environment (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance will sometimes take a back seat to getting last minute assignments completed (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management or the ACV desk makes all of them (in 67 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at TitleMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long term career, company you can grow with!
    Opportunities to gain many resume points if you ever leave!

Cons

Fast changing industry. Some days get long.

2. "Use As Stepping Stone, But Lower Your Expectations"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at TitleMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Current ASM

The company has some good things, such as Sundays off, a very stable 8/9-5 kinda schedule.
    PTO
    Sick Time
    401K
    Health Benefits

The original training process was fairly thorough, unfortunately the process itself is somewhat disheartening for people who have put in time with the company. There always seems to be more promoting from outside rather than in the company itself. Especially for close to instore/field level positions.

Use this as a stepping stone. The pay for CSR and ASM is good for the minimum they ask and it is a great way to start and get some experience in finace/collections.

Cons

Upper management sometimes is trained at the store level, which means a GM is training his boss?! Why not simply promote said GM instead.

This place changes, and I mean a lot. You basically have to be willing to shrug it off and just do as you are told. One week you will do something one way and the next monday find out that it is not compliance ready or whatever and have to do it another way. Just to see how much change there is I have been with this company for a year and a half and I have gone through 4 District Managers.

A lot of repetitive tasks, if you hate having a routine do not apply.

CSR AND ASM are essentially the same thing. They more than likely will promote you from one to the other simply to keep you complacent. But good luck on moving up from there. There cannot be more than one SM in an office, so unless someone gets fired or quits its unlikely you will move up in any timely manner.

This is performance based, so do be prepared to have a certain amount of pressure in order to meet said goals.

The firing process is probably one of the worst or best in some peoples opinion. It takes forever, and I mean forever for someone to get fired. I am not sure why the process takes so long. You will be written up on two seperate occasions and expect the next time to be it. I have seen it take you months for someone who clearly did not fit in to be let go. They definitely seem to be very forgiving however to the detriment to a store who has to continue to deal with a problem employee it must be such a hassle.

3. "District Director of Operations"

Current Employee - DDO in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - DDO in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at TitleMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People! the people here are incredible and the leadership is second to none. The company is constantly looing to improve systems and processes and definitely does not suffer from "analysis paralysis". Change is inevitable and happens fast at Titlemax. If you fear or dislike change look elsewhere. If you want to be constantly improving and growing this company is perfect for you. I am fortunate enough to partner up in the Division 4 team that is filled with great leaders at all levels. Rich Stacey and James Placek are both inspirational leaders that stand not behind, but alongside their people through thick and thin. I count my blessings every day.

Cons

Health benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Ignore the critics! Keep keeping on as you are. Typically posts on search engines are written by disgruntled former employees with nothing better to do and they failed with Titlemax because they weren't driven and open to change. I love the performance culture!

"Decent place, I regret leaving."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at TitleMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers when I first got hired, loved them, loved the customers, learned a lot, definitely have to be able to handle difficult situations

Cons

Company changes frequently, eventually started going into work wondering if I may have a job or not.. and cleaning out the nasty, dirty repo cars

Advice to Management

Don't pick favorites, need more team work

Feb 28, 2017 – Sr. Talent Strategy Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, we are thrilled to hear about your positive experience at the Company. It is important that we know what we’re doing right in order for us to ... More

6. "Titlemax"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at TitleMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every other weekend off..... Pto

Cons

Late hours, wait time to repo account

Mar 3, 2017 – Sr. Talent Strategy Manager

7. "Run if you have other options- This could be a good bridge job until you start somewhere else"

Current Employee - General Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at TitleMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay- IF you're hitting the numbers required to obtain your bonuses. (and I am, so don't think I'm just a disgruntled employee) I'm posting this due to me having a family and trying to help someone that could be in the same situation.

Cons

Heres the thing now days. We don't gather proof of income, residence, or anything. We don't care what their income is- in many situations I've given people higher payments than their income is total. We don't have a choice. Corporate now decides how much the vehicle is worth and you have to offer it to them (plus your motivated to get them to take it all because of the new loan bonus, and if you're store doesn't grow in total accounts loaned out, you will be fired). Corporate also has created a way that we sell our vehicles (so now you have no control over how much you get for the vehicle). Heres where it gets really crazy. If an account goes so many days past due, its written off of your profit (which is where the majority of your pay comes from). So for example, if I give someone 8 grand, their going to have roughly a $900 payment. This person could be on social security and only receive $600 per month. So guess what, when it goes past due so many days, your profit just got deducted by the $8,000 you give them which would effect your paycheck by $400 if youre at titlemax, or $800 if you're at Titlebucks. That seems crazy right? Not really... it gets even better. You can't make but one point of contact per day with the customer (a voicemail is considered a point of contact) or a max of 2 calls per day to the customer. You can't leave the office to spot a vehicle if you think you've found it if its being hidden. You can't call references with the exception of one time, and if you talk to them once (voicemail counts) you can never talk to them again. It doesn't matter if the reference is their spouse, child, mother, etc. -- and to make it EVEN BETTER, Sure, find the car, sale it, and that amount comes off the balance you're charging off.. but guess what?! NOW we can't even repo a vehicle unless its 45 days late. In other words, you will NEVER find your vehicle to sale it. This is corporate trying to get us to retain our accounts to achieve more growth-- seems simple in theory. But guess what? Reality and experience tells me the customer is going to CHARGE-OFF because we CAN'T find cars after 45 days of being past due. Their hidden! We are not a bank, we don't check credit, income, etc. so we're not dealing with the best class of people-- at day 45, theve had 2 weeks of knowing we're coming and the vehicle is gone.

Now heres where co-workers get really angry. If you're charge-offs (the people hitting X amount of days past due) exceed 2.75%, you lose your new loan bonus and only receive profit, but I can tell you, if your charge-offs are over 3%, these accounts are also being deducted from profit so guess what?! There isn't any!! Now you're working WAY more than 48 hours (they advertise that I notice, but I usually work around 55-60 hours per pay period). for $30,000 year which equates out to almost minimum wage.

I've been blessed in not experiencing this, but the MAJORITY of my fellow GM's are experiencing this.

ZERO job security. I had the pleasure of knowing a guy that had been with the company 9 years (extremely rare to find someone that's made it that far) he had a rough year last year losing accounts thru tax season and wasn't able to grow his store over where he was at before tax season, and guess what? They fired him for exactly that.

Keep in mind, Its all about growth, and growing your stores accounts. Its always measured off of Last years numbers. Well- News flash, Last year we could make more calls, communicate with references, even knock on their door if we wanted. We could decide how much to loan a customer based off of their income, we made the decisions. Now, Sr. Management has created all these fairy tale products to where we have ZERO control, but we're held accountable via pay check or even our job.

Advice to Management

Give GM's controls if you want the same profit and volume you had 2+ years ago. Don't punish and deduct pay from GM's for things that's beyond their control. Don't measure performance off of YOY numbers if you don't have the same product/system you had in place last year. You want motivated employees hungry to grow your stores and profit? Treat them right, don't have them scared for their job to where all we can do is leave reviews like this and search for new jobs in fear that we will lose this one that supports families.

The owner has everyone scared for their jobs as well. They don't have the balls to tell him what real issues are, their go to answer is to blame employees "performance" to save their own jobs.

Get rid of the 45 day repo rule, look at your companies charge-offs for April, and May of 17'. Guess why their high? Because 91 days ago we started waiting until 45 days to start looking for cars. Want less 1st and 2nd payment defaults? Stop loaning damn near blue book on vehicles- Youre buying everyones car and giving more than they can get on trade-in!!! These were the original principals of successful stores when I started with the company. I believe delinquency these days should make it a no brainer of what we're doing wrong.

8. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at TitleMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Titlemax is known for customer service. a lot of customer service experience you wont get in most jobs. Sundays offices are closed. Holiday pay. 401k, Benefits. Room for growth within the company. company promotes within the first 90days

Cons

Pay isn't that great. Long work hours . open on Saturdays. have to spend ur own money for marketing.

Advice to Management

start with a higher pay and increase hourly pay

Feb 28, 2017 – Sr. Talent Strategy Manager

We appreciate your feedback, thank you so much for leaving a review. It is important for us to recognize constructive criticism; we will be sure to review your suggestions with our management team.

9. "H1B'S .OPT,CPT Dont join and others careful No job security,no mental peace."

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Tampa Palms, FL
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Tampa Palms, FL

I worked at TitleMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay package but it comes with a lot of tension and insecurity about job.You can be hired today and fired tomorrow.This did happen to a few employees in IT.

Cons

1. Good money in this company comes at a Cost.
       - Cost of Mental peace which is lost.
       - If in debt do not join here you will be doomed
       - OPT, CPT and H1's very careful IT side is worst they don't mind spending lot of money on your visa and all these are rich guys and they dont care about few millions splurged for visa processings and then fire you immediately after.
    Dont take any of the positive comments these guys might have even paid those people to write it up.
    This is no frustration as people may think reading this.This is true.These people fire 30+ people in 2 slots including VP's.ITS NO JOKE.If you still like adventures definitely give it a go.

Advice to Management

No advice will help.Management is a puppet plays the tunes of one person and abides by that. So no use wasting time here.

10. "Depends on the store"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at TitleMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with.

Cons

Collections! Sometimes the GM will push for a loan to get approved in order to get bigger bonuses but then it's hard to collect the money because the car isn't worth anything.

Advice to Management

Give ASM and SM a bigger bonus.

Feb 28, 2017 – Sr. Talent Strategy Manager

Thank you for your feedback and review. We take all reviews into consideration and will be sure to review this information with our management team. We know there is always room for improvement and ... More

11. "General manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TitleMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Haha ( i need three more words )
    Ha ha ha

Cons

So my DM acts like a Bird like a quail bird
    Does not know how to run bussiness
    Timesheets are changed to their favor!
    And if you got something to say .....
    You will get a write up

Advice to Management

Dont come over and try to hush us with "free"
    Lunch because nothing is free we have our time taken away , for the love of god someone from corp read this