Uberflip Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Uberflip Co-founder and CEO Yoav Schwartz
Yoav Schwartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I don't play ping pong or drink beer or any of the other things that people in startups do" (in 14 reviews)

• "Work-life balance: Uberflip is a startup, but not the work-90-hour-weeks-every-week kind of startup" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "A work from home policy (1 day a week) but it doesn't seem like its encouraged" (in 8 reviews)

• "Work/life balance: Working from 9-5 will not happen" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Janitor"

I worked at Uberflip full-time

Pros

good work life balance
    good food

Cons

There is no down side

"Actually, the reviews are real"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Uberflip full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The reason Uberflip has so many positive reviews is because this company really does care about the employees, and so we come on Glassdoor (of our own intention!) to give props where they are due.

The reason this company is so successful and such a great place to work is because the CEO/CMO who are caring, genuine and smart. They built a company that focuses on creating a positive experience, not just for our clients, but also for all the people working here. You cannot fake this type of environment. It starts with genuinely caring, and from that intention, works its way into all our processes.

Working at Uberflip as an engineer has been a rewarding experience, and I recommend it to anyone that is still sitting on the fence wondering if they should take the leap. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you would have a really hard time finding a company that will be as rewarding as working at Uberflip.

Cons

Location can be difficult for commuting from outside Toronto, since it's not beside Union Station. But the high ceilings and humungous space make it worthwhile.

Advice to Management

We love you and what you're doing. Don't listen to the haters (they're probably not even real reviews from employees)

"Good place for Fresh grads. Approach with caution !"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Uberflip full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of food and free stuff, very young employees.

Cons

High turnover, no clarity, no communication. Senior mgmt working in silos. Blame game is very strong to please owners.

Advice to Management

focus on culture and building a company

"Great Culture, Amazing People, Caring Leadership"

Current Employee - Developer in Parkdale, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Parkdale, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Uberflip full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is truly an amazing company with great people. Here are just a few of the points that I can think on top of my head.

- Everyone is extremely talented and friendly
    - Every level of the organization treats each other with respect and value
    - Very defined culture, goals and aspirations (which they are driving home more often in town halls)
    - Lots of perks including team outings, events, food, snacks, ping pong table, pool table, foosball and much more!
    - Amazing opportunity for people to try many different hats as your role will grow and evolve during your time here
    - The leadership here is top-notch as they are very transparent about a majority of their decisions and I feel like they care for many of their employees. Additionally, they have charisma and are great inspirational speakers.
    - The office design is very slick and invites collaboration between peers

Cons

This would be a perfect score but I couldn't give it at the current moment due to the following issues.

- As it is a startup, it is expected that everyday is different and there are tons of work and technologies you use that will go beyond the scope of your initial role. However, over time, I am spending less time doing the work that I signed up to do but instead is supporting other tasks that are sometimes tedious and not that challenging.
    - Sometimes, my questions and concerns that are brought up are not addressed until several follow-ups later.
    - I understand that equipment is expensive but some of the machines that are provided could be upgraded to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of work.
    - The office is a bit on the outskirts of downtown Toronto.
    - High turnover, which they are addressing this coming year.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing and striving for success. You have an entire team of dedicated and talented people. However, it would be great to stop at times and evaluate if the work assigned to employees is a good fit for their passion.

"Great people, not so great everything else"

I worked at Uberflip full-time

Pros

- The team (i.e individual contributors) are all really great, lots of cool/friendly people
    - Fun office culture (ping pong, beers) and lots of outings or staff socials, makes it easy to make friends and going to work is really social
    - Nice office in a cool spot - parkdale!
    - Free snacks -- chocolate, bagels, cheese, popcorn, etc..

Cons

- Really high turn over, people are quitting every week
    - exec team seems resistent to change
    - exec team isn't actually transparent about things, even though that's one of the "core values"
    - diversity initiatives are really just lip service and all come from the employees, not the exec team
    - tendency to promote people to quickly so no real opportunties for mentorship since your manager probably only has like 6 months more experience than you

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach in terms of communicating with transparency, people talk and you can't stop that from happening, its better to hear it straight from the top rather than get it sugar coated. Get a real HR department to handle things.

Uberflip Response

Oct 17, 2018 – CEO

First off, thank you for your contributions. I absolutely agree with you that the people here make Uberflip what it is. I’ll try to be as objective as possible in my response to your cons, so here... More

6. "Amazing Team and Drive!"

I have been working at Uberflip full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-very driven and goal oriented leadership and team
    -beautiful office space and employee focused culture
    -fast paced, and growing rapidly
    -many team events, and the company gives back to the community often

Cons

-If you cannot keep up with rapid change this may not be for you

Advice to Management

Keep hiring where you know we have skill gaps in leadership! So far you have done a great job at this. Keep doing what we are doing, the culture at Uberflip drives the excellence we see every day!

7. "A great company, with an amazing team!"

I have been working at Uberflip full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- TEAM! All the employees I work with are super friendly and very welcoming. From day 1, I have felt like I belong with these people and love their positive attitudes.
    - Culture - the company culture is focused on employees with so much opportunity for growth.
    - The office is so sweet - huge with large windows in a good location.
    - SNACKS - there are so many, with many healthy and not-so-healthy options. Coffee, tea, beer fridge, ping pong, and pool!
    - Diversity and inclusion focus is so important at Uberflip, which is great to be a part of.
    - Gym onsite, yoga/meditation, soccer, softball, and TONS of other amazing events/workshops to be a part of!
    - Work with driven, intelligent people who truly care a lot about everyone around them.

Cons

- Keep up the great work - employees are happy and you can feel it.

Advice to Management

"Great place to grow your career"

I worked at Uberflip full-time

Pros

Amazing company culture - beyond the standard start-up beer fridge and ping-pong tables. People at all levels genuinely like each other and invest in your personal and professional development. They encourage you to take on new projects that interest you and learn new skills outside of the office with things like a learning credit that you can put towards courses. Managers and Execs also listen to your feedback regardless of seniority and do their best to act on it if applicable, especially within the sales team.

Uberflip also tends to promote from within which is great for advancing your career and taking on new challenges. Your manager will help you get on a path toward the job you want regardless of department.

As long as you're getting your job done they are very flexible with time-off and working from home. From what I've seen most of the departments give their employees a lot of autonomy.

Cons

Some typical start-up growing pains like over/under hiring in certain departments and releasing products or features that might not always be 100% perfect. The management team is pretty good about limiting these things but they are hard to avoid in start-ups.

Advice to Management

Visit more customers. Many aspects of the business will become easier if you have better relationships and alignment with your most important customers. Being far away from most of them makes this even more important.

"Love this place"

I have been working at Uberflip full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never worked somewhere where culture is so important. I don't play ping pong or drink beer or any of the other things that people in startups do. It's the small things that mean a lot: the ability to give honest feedback, come up with ways to improve things, being recognized for successes and seeing others be recognized, getting a little birthday treat and balloons on your birthday, getting $1000 a year to learn, and leaders who genuinely want you to improve.

I have enjoyed my time here and will be here for a while to come.

Cons

The obvious growing pains--the operations need to catch up with the growth--but that's where our recent funding comes in. We have people who work here who have incredible ideas. Find them and encourage them and continue to give them opportunities to grow the company and themselves. Everyone wants to help in making this place better.

Advice to Management

Be willing to invest in your leaders on each team. Give them tools and resources, get them in a room together and give them an open forum to solve problems among each other. Allow them room to mentor each other. Get more people pulling the business toward our goals and we'll get there faster than we ever hoped.

"Potential is here to a nurture a great company but work is needed."

I have been working at Uberflip full-time

Pros

Free Snacks
    Ping-Pong Tables
    Foosball Table
    Free Beer
    Laptop

Cons

A work from home policy (1 day a week) but it doesn't seem like its encouraged. In a time where we are technologically connected and work-life balance is more important than ever for mental health, relationships, families and just life in general. This is something that should be more encouraged.

Lots of turnover that makes you scared for your position.

No real team building within departments or company wide.

Advice to Management

Work environment & culture needs to be improved especially with the amount of turnover the company has experienced.