KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

WayUp Reviews

Updated Aug 9, 2022

Found 70 of over 81 reviews

3.6
WayUp CEO    Liz Wessel (no image)
Liz Wessel

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Magnifyde

Aug 9, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great employer, friendly environment. Beautiful office area.

Cons

More consistent staff. High turnover rate.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A complete mess

Jan 6, 2022 - Marketing in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I guess being employed is better in some respects than not being employed

Cons

- No work-life balance, stressful, competitive in an unhealthy way, and toxic management. - I was fired for not reaching my goals which were completely unrealistic for anyone and continue to go unfulfilled even years after I left. - The CEO is an Elizabeth Holmes-type narcissist. She is friendly and nice but this company is all about her and advancing her personal brand. She will fire you in an instant if she feels like it, irrespective of any objective goals or company performance. People were fired every single week I worked at Wayup. They like to scare employees. - CEO and executives create a toxic environment for no reason, it seems like a childish attempt to recreate what they think a successful startup culture should be like. They are kids playing dress-up as adults. - I've had years to reflect on my time at WayUp and I've realized just how uniquely awful of an experience it was.

6 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0

Career Growth + Rewarding and Engaging Work

Apr 28, 2021 - Customer Success Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

WayUp delivers on its mission of helping diverse students and recent graduates find opportunities with companies around the country. Everyone at the company is brilliant and hardworking, making successful collaboration possible. Leadership and management care about employees' career development and put you in a place to grow.

Cons

It's fast-paced and there's often lots of work on employees' plates in order to deliver on clients' and students' goals.

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture, high growth

Jun 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Team is so smart, ambitious and kind - We have beat records every quarter for the past year - Clients are great to work with

Cons

The market is finally understanding our differentiation, but sometimes you have to deal with customers who aren't the smartest, and that can be very very frustrating

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Former Employee

Would not recommend - little overall respect for employees

Jun 17, 2020 - Sales Team
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some really great people, who all are overshadowed by 1 or 2 people, or are let go. Snacks are good and dogs are cute.

Cons

I would not recommend working at WayUp. Although there are some really wonderful people with great ideas, they are often either completely overshadowed by executive leadership, or let go. There is never enough consistency in leadership to be productive or allow the business to grow and thrive. Work life balance is essentially non-existent, and it is frowned upon to leave before 6:30pm on any given day. Employees have been bullied out of the company, causing many talented people to leave. There is little harmony among the teams, as they each blame one another for shortcomings and hardly look at the bigger picture of little consistency in management and strategy, employee burnout, and the lack of feasibility of being able to scale the product at the rate that it should be scaling.

11 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Positive professional opportunities and company growth

Jan 23, 2020 - Director, Customer Success in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been on the CS team at WayUp for nearly 2 years and have learned more about sales, project management, and how to ensure client success than I could have dreamed of. The team is growing rapidly to support the ongoing demand from clients recruiting top talent in the early career space, and it’s so fulfilling to know that we are literally changing the future workforce by getting people hired. I’m so thankful to be a part of this growing team and company overall. In addition to the growth and professional development opportunities, the culture is incredibly special at WayUp. From clothing drives, to weekly catered lunches, and hackathons, we’re very intentional about the ways that we demonstrate our appreciation for our team members above and beyond the typical benefits of a job. Ongoing anonymous surveys ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to share their ideas and recommendations for how we can elevate our impact as a company and “sticking to the way it’s always been done” is not something we abide by.

Cons

Just like any startup, there's a lot of work that needs to be done to move the needle forward and ensure success for our clients and the business which sometimes means days that extend beyond the typical 9-6.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, and a great role for a recent graduate.

Jan 19, 2021 - Recruitment Operations Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Even while virtual, WayUp does a great job of putting forth positive company culture. The expectations are reasonable, and I believe management wants to see me grow and succeed.

Cons

Being a start-up, it can be hectic but the work is rewarding.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Dec 1, 2020 - Team Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

- good remote culture - involved and accessible leadership - employees have a lot of ownership and are encouraged to take on new projects or implement new processes

Cons

- fast-paced - all employees have a lot of ownership - ramping up can take a while for new employees, but at the same time they are given responsibilities immediately and thrown in the deep end (with a ton of help) - I don't see these as cons but some may

9. 4.0
    Former Employee

Overall great high growth startup

Jan 26, 2021 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership, highly collaborative and dynamic culture

Cons

Siloed work environment, sometimes sacrifice personal growth for company priorities

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing people, mission has never been more important than it is now

May 25, 2020 - Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission -- we help candidates have SO MUCH of a better hiring experience and help employers do not only a better, but a great job hiring early career. We teach them not only how to attract early career talent but how to make sure their hiring process is unbiased, properly reaches out to more diverse communities, and is more data driven. You really see the difference in who and how people get hired with our clients. Helping companies hire early career candidates digitally and move into digital has literally never been more important than it is right now, with campuses closing all over the country. Phenomenal product -- despite lots of noise in the space, there really isn't anything else like what WayUp does. Most other companies are either just databases of candidates or assessment products that early career candidates don't even like that much. I've been in the space a while and this is the only one I've seen actually work Data and analytics -- SO MUCH data. I've been so impressed with how data driven all of our advice and the product is. Many companies say they're data driven, but we actually mean it, and it actually improves outcomes. Independence and trust -- pretty much from the day you start, you're given a ton of responsibility and ownership over what you do. (Maybe too much?) Transparency - I've been really impressed with how the company has responded to the Coronavirus crisis. Hiring is an area that usually takes a serious hit during times of crisis (though fortunately we seem to be on a good trajectory so far), and every step along the way Liz and Jeff have been open and public about what the company's plans are for COVID, what we're doing, how we're doing, and what changes to expect. We handled the switch to all-remote as a company really well, I was pleasantly surprised. Growth and feedback -- this is a really strong feedback culture. I love it because it's made me so much better at what I do and made me a better professional, but you do have to be not only open but excited to learn about how you can do better. Culture -- everyone is fun, caring, and gets to know each other. HR has done a GREAT job during COVID and being remote making sure people stay in touch--during team meetings we often have colleagues (or their kids!) do music performances, and we've been doing something called the WayUp CloseUp where people write a lengthy get-to-know-you that gets sent out to the company each week, and those have been AMAZING and I feel like I have been learning more amazing things about my colleagues than I was even in the office. Definitely not what I would have expected out of being remote!

Cons

Workload -- going through a once-in-a-generation crisis while working in the HR space with a small team while trying to keep costs low is... a lot of work. I am sure this would be the case at any startup right now, but that doesn't make it easier. Remote -- we're doing a great job with this but this is still hard, and some teams are doing it better than others. Industry -- hiring in general is just a really tough space. I've been loving it and the impact we have and that's why I do it, but you can't change the fact that every step of the way you're dealing with people whether it's hiring managers or candidates or whatever else, and the job can be tough sometimes. Career growth -- in a small company and time of crisis, while I'm learning a TON, I doubt I'll be able to be in a position anytime soon where I will manage a ton of people. But this does feel a bit silly to be complaining about in the middle of an economic crash, so I don't know.

4 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 70 Reviews

WayUp Reviews FAQs

WayUp has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 81 reviews left anonymously by employees. 62% of employees would recommend working at WayUp to a friend and 59% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, WayUp employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at WayUp. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

62% of WayUp employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated WayUp 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at WayUp to be management, career development, culture and the cons to be compensation, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with WayUp Job Seekers