WebMD Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
WebMD Health CEO Steven Zatz
Steven Zatz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance was reasonable for most of the time with the company (in 36 reviews)

• Can work from home on occasions (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Hazadous workload, no work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Not very progressive and poor senior management seems to pervade (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Brand"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing like working at the biggest and best brand among health sites. Credibility with its users and advertisers is something to be truly proud of....content is in fact truly king for this brand.

Cons

Doctors and Finance run this site. Sales and Marketing to the ad community comes in third. Slow at times to react to market forces. Classic big company, nimble is not a word often associated with sales.

Advice to Management

Listen to the market. Get entrepreneurial in your approach with advertisers. Get innovative. You do so much right in building a brand for users, do the same for advertisers.

2. "Editor"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

The benefits are decent enough.

Cons

Over the few years , inconsistent management directives.

"Its a mixed bag - your mileage will vary."

Former Employee - Technology in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I gave WebMD four stars despite having some real stress at that company.

** My colleagues / friends there were great. Really the most enjoyable people to work with. Probably the best place I've ever worked with regards to the friends I made while there.

But I am certain about the following bullet points..
    ** If you're just OK at your job, you'll do well in the company
    ** If you're pretty damn good at your job, you'll be the sharpest tool in the shed
    ** Depending on your office / department, my understanding is the culture really varies

The reason I give the company four stars instead of fewer is because if you really want an easy-going job, with generally nice people, and don't stress the severe career ambitions too much, this isn't a bad place to hang out for a couple years.

Cons

** Salaries are on the lower end of market average.
    ** Management (generally speaking) really are just not that good at their jobs.
    ** The place still seems "wild west" when it comes to efficient business processes
    ** Outside of your colleagues, most people seemed to report dissatisfaction with the company / biz processes / management. Again, colleagues were amazing, kind people.
    ** Some people at the company, honestly, I don't know how they passed the interview. Definitely kind hearted, but inept at their exact position. I might be a case in point. I got the job for a position I wasn't qualified for per-se.

Advice to Management

No one in management cares for my feedback, but here it is anyway...

Work out the inter-department interactions and business processes. This is key to efficiency. Put some really smart, consulting-minded folks in management. Make sure they are charismatic and have a knack for business process optimization. There were a couple who definitely fit this mold, but most did not. It seemed like generally anyone of any qualification (generally based on seniority) made it to management, and that resulted in a lot of mismanagement of personnel and inefficient cross-department interactions.

4. "Marketing"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Great office atmosphere - food, ambiance, amenities - all wonderful. Very committed, intelligent, driven employees. Determined and visionary leadership.

Cons

Growing pains and the expected changes that go along with that (including shifting roles among top leadership). Quite fierce competitive landscape creates a sense of constant urgency. Not the most technologically advanced in terms of consumer facing product.

5. "Nice place, but there's work to do"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Nice staff and great people

Cons

Lacks diversity among senior staff

6. "great place to work and grow"

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

excellent leadership, encouraging work environment, amazing content and product

Cons

busy season can get hectic

7. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - ETL Tester in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ETL Tester in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health (More than a year)

Pros

WebMD is a good company to work with. But with its business growing, they have to focus on growth of employees as well. WebMD has a strong leadership focused towards growth of organization. Company has an excellent reputation for initiating visas and green card for its employees.

Cons

Does not offer great benefit. Not many amenites at he location.

Advice to Management

Need to be little more approachable

8. "Look Elsewhere for job satisfaction"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, great coworkers, collegial atmosphere, nice office

Cons

Poorly managed, still fear of layoffs, if you're not in the "in crowd", your way outside the loop, poor communication among the different silos such as Marketing vs Sales vs IT vs Operations vs Finance, etc.

Advice to Management

Start to take care of the employee base and spend the time and money to make this an acceptable place to work. Stop worrying about lining your pockets with high stock prices. And finally be honest and straightforward about how you conduct business.

9. "work life"

Former Employee - Test Lead in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Test Lead in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance
    Leverage with marketing expertise

Cons

lack of innovation
    need to add new services or products

Advice to Management

need to add more creative people

"Good team, terrible upper management"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

The team I worked with was particularly excellent. Compensation was good for the work for the most part. Work-life balance was reasonable for most of the time with the company.

Cons

Upper management seems to lack direction and knowledge of our fundamental marketplace value. Getting jerked around regarding bonuses and salary promises that never come through is not fun. There's a lot of pat-yourself-on-the-back thinking. Workload and stress is continuously increasing. There is a lack of training or education support for developing skills.

Advice to Management

Hire well and keep your good employees. I left, as many other good employees did, due to the feeling that the company was headed in a bad direction.