WildWorks Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 14, 2018

3.6
Clark Stacey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Amazing employee and family values"

Current Employee - Animator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Animator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at WildWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really take care of their employees and there families. Great benefits. Monthly company meetings with lunch provided. Annual summer company event. CEO really tells everyone true honest current news about company good or bad.

Cons

Not really any cubs while working here

Advice to Management

None they do perfect

"Growing Technology"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Draper, UT

I have been working at WildWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WildWorks is a great place for tech. The tech team is growing as well as the quality of the tools and tech used. There is a lot of freedom when working on projects. Work life balance is fantastic with late hours being very rare. There some in office perks that just make the day to day a little better.

Cons

Compensation could be better. There are some departments that don't play well with others but this may be due to the former office being split up between floors.

Advice to Management

The recent changes to the tech team has been great. Model the rest of the teams off of the tech team.

"Not a great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at WildWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, good break room

Cons

Very haphazard management, LDS bias throughout, misleading about health of company

"ASR"

Former Employee - ASR
    Former Employee - ASR

I worked at WildWorks (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job, great flexibility with hours. Fun job.

Cons

Very disposable, they hired too many moderators, then laid off the majority of them. The laying off was done very unprofessionally and cowardly. You were blocked from everything, including the chat program before you knew you were laid off. Then a short email came saying you were no longer needed. When I tried to respond to the email in repsonse, I found out that my email had been blocked as well so I haven’t been able to communicate with them at all. Very frustrating and upsetting way to be let go, especially after all of the talk of what a great community they try to maintain. They could have at least reached out to the employees personally.

"Stay Away From This Sinking Ship"

I worked at WildWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun job at times and I liked most of my coworkers.

Cons

They are down to a skeleton crew now and the nice people who are left know their days are numbered. It's very sad, considering that WildWorks tries to portray themselves as a caring, family-friendly organization.

In short, the game is failing. Fewer and fewer children are playing. For some reason, WildWorks went on some hiring blitz before realizing membership was way down. So, a lot of good people have been axed in several mass culls this year.

We knew the score - it's a contract position and work isn't guaranteed. But kicking people out of the system before they even know they're fired? Talking to their face like nothing is going on that morning? Heck, a lot of us who were fired were even Facebook friends with the people who fired us! We know you! You are supposed to be our friends?!

This feels like such a cowardly betrayal. Just a warm, personal email would suffice. I'd understand. But a cold form letter, after years of working with you? Unbelievable.

I don't see Animal Jam lasting much longer, period. They have some great people still there. I hope THEY can enjoy the holidays because Christmas probably won't happen for a lot of us who just lost their jobs.

Advice to Management

Lay off people who you have known for years with some dignity, will you? We were underpaid to begin with and stayed loyal because we loved the game and thought you were nice people.

"Small Office that is full of cliques and rudeness"

I worked at WildWorks full-time

Pros

Location is really the only good thing about this office. Close to the Green Line and The Gateway for food trucks and shopping.

Cons

Investors are constantly interfering, very little onboarding/training, no consistent leadership. Told one thing by management and then other things happen.

"Stagnant, unstable studio"

Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at WildWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's hard to tell the pros anymore. There used to be a commitment to employee well-being and a sense of stability.

Cons

A management coup happened last week. The founder who built the company was fired. At the same time, they fired 13 otherwise valuable employees, perceived as too loyal to the old founder. Understand that all reviews posted on Glassdoor prior to 5/14/2017 were under the leadership of the old founder. WildWorks is no longer the same company.

In day-to-day terms, work is fractured between several small groups who hardly communicate with anyone else, and the level of frustration and political bureaucracy for a relatively small company is ridiculous. Post-coup, the remnants of empowered technical leadership are laughably unqualified.

The treacherous executives and their cronies not only don't mind this state of affairs, but created it to give cover to their plots. They've conspired for years to remove the company's founder from power and block out the employees who had built the company from the ground up, replacing the company's core with image-obsessed cargo-culters.

This is only the first round of layoffs. Expect more. Anyone not currently associated with WildWorks should not be fooled by the skeleton of the company that once was; the new boss will attempt to keep this up, but the heart has been gutted. Getting involved with this company now is a tragedy.

Advice to Management

Woe to every backbiter, slanderer; Who amasses wealth and hoards it; Thinking that his wealth will make him immortal.

WildWorks Response

May 26, 2017 – Global Marketing Manager

There were three original founders of WildWorks, and it is correct that the company’s investors recently removed one of the co-founders from the management team. It is not uncommon for the board of... More

"Fun people and a relaxed "family" atmosphere"

Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at WildWorks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work schedules are pretty flexible, as long as you're getting stuff done.
    Great products - get to work on a game (Animal Jam) known to millions of kids (which my kids love to brag to their friends about)
    Bonuses if you've been there long enough
    Cool people

Cons

Reviews are annual, and you might not get much feedback in between
    They keep it really dark in there!
    Some good ideas get abandoned for no reason it seems
    Artists can hit a career wall with no more room to advance

Advice to Management

Hire more senior/lead game designers and give them authority, let them lead projects
    Create more art lead roles for specific areas

"Incredible Culture and Team, Okay Pay"

Former Employee - Social Media Engagement Team in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Social Media Engagement Team in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at WildWorks (More than a year)

Pros

*Super helpful and friendly team
    *Very flexible
    *Do their best to bridge the "remote" gap

Cons

*not very good pay
    *hard to move up

"Onward and Upwards!"

I worked at WildWorks full-time

Pros

- Great energy and enthusiasm for creating the best online community for kids on the planet.
    - Genuine desire to protect users, and teach them about the world we live in while they are having fun.
    - Fantastic company events and activities.
    - Excellent benefits and competitive wages.
    - Superb HR services and assistance.
    - Overall positive work environment, with big ambitions for future expansion.
    - Upper leadership are extremely enthusiastic and dedicated.

Cons

- There are recurring communication issues between management and the individual departments that leads to some frustration and wasted effort.
    - The balance between the technical and the artistic needs of the company could use improvement.

Advice to Management

Put more stock in what your department supervisors bring to the table; they are in the trenches and can see things you cannot.