Activision Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 7, 2017

2.5

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Activision (Santa Monica, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Had a Quick phone interview.
    Then set up an in person interview. They did not inform me that I would be interviewing with multiple people. They where all surprised I was not told of this.None the less the interview itself was very easy going and fun. Everyone seemed like great people to work with.
    I was then informed that if I was pushed onto the next round that I would be called back on a later date for a quick assessment test.
    I was called back a week later.
    I then was taken into a cubical for the test. They seemed a bit dis-shuffled for this and did not have my computer ready. When I began the test which was fairly easy! I noticed none of the short cut keys where set which was a total hassle. I had to right click everything. The prompt informed me to use old covers on the web as help. The Internet explorer would not start up due to updates. Then the computer began to restart and do more updates for other programs including their security log in program, which obviously did not help. I would finish a portion and had to restart due to updates and restarts. This test was on a Windows NOT a Mac so be familiar with both. I was told they do not expect me to finish the entire list on the prompt but to touch a bit of all. With all the obstacles I was going through I was surprised I got as far as I did in the 30 min.
    I was then told they would be in contact with me. Later told the position was given to the other candidate.
    All in all it was an easy process and would have love to work with such a great team. I was probably just dealt a bad hand with the assessment.

Interview Questions

• What games do I play and on what console?   1 Answer

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Activision in May 2017.

Interview

Spoke with three people from the Quality Assurance division at the same time. The position they described was different from the job description I had read when I applied. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a test or not, but since one of the interviewers was the head of QA, I didn't push back very hard.

I assumed the position was more general QA since the description said "this can include..." and listed various types, but when I got there, they specifically zeroed in on one (which, why not just say that on the description, I wouldn't have wasted your time...). I kinda prepped for a different experience, so needless to say, I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a moment in a game where you think you spotted a bug or error. (or something like that)   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Activision (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone call went great. I was told there would be a follow up call with a manager. A day later I received a one liner email from the recruiter saying he knew someone I had worked with in the past. Never heard from him again even after a follow up email. It was the most unprofessional interview experience I've ever had. Unfortunately it's experiences just like this one that give recruiters a bad reputation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Activision (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone call from their hiring manager-easy call, she was very friendly. it was with two different people sometimes. Both of them were kind and overall it was a relaxing experience and questions were not anything too in depth.

Programming Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Activision (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was for the online team to work on improving multiplayer experience. You need to play the game and find out the ways to improve the multiplayer experience. You will be given PS4 and the games in which you have to test.

Interview Questions

• It was mostly on your resume   1 Answer
    • Do you like gaming? Which all IPs have you played and which have you liked?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Activision in March 2017.

Interview

I had been trying to get an interview at Activision for months. It took emailing my resume to several different people at Activision (mostly alumni who I never even met in person) and actually meeting the recruiter in person at a school event for the recruiter to finally give me a phone screen. She emailed me one morning to tell me that my resume had gotten into the hands of multiple hiring managers and commended me on my efforts. She then scheduled me for a phone screen which would occur a few days later.

The phone screen consisted of her speaking for 99 percent of the time about Activision's sunshine and rainbows perfect organizational culture and then asking me only two questions: tell me about yourself and what do you look for in a job/manager. She concluded the call by telling me that if the hiring team decides to move forward with me, her coordinator will contact me to set up a phone interview with a hiring manager. Several days later, I received a rejection email, which immediately raised some red flags.

Why did they wait until after the phone screen to reject me? I gave them absolutely no new information during the phone screen because the recruiter never asked me any specific questions about my qualifications. They could have wasted less of my time and their time by just not giving me a phone screen at all instead of giving me false hope. I'm convinced the only reason they gave me the phone screen was to make it seem as though I was a serious candidate when, in reality, they already found their candidates and simply wanted to get me off their backs. The recruiter deliberately asked me no substantive questions about me or my qualifications because she already made up her mind before the phone screen that she will not recommend me for a phone interview with a hiring manager. I've gone through enough recruiter phone screens during the course of my career to know that this is not how a phone screen is conducted.

After the rejection email, I wrote a strongly worded email to the recruiter asking for the hiring team's feedback, which she refused to provide. I recently tried emailing her again about another position only to find out that she has blocked me. This company's lack of professionalism is staggering. I obviously could have taken the rejection better, but to be blocked for asking reasonable questions is absurd. My email clearly indicated my frustration, but I never resorted to an abusive tone.

My experience with Activision has led me to conclude that they have a dishonest recruiting process and don't give any consideration to candidates who don't already have contacts within the company. This itself is not inherently negative, but for them to string candidates along is unethical at the very least and gives candidates without inside contacts false hope. I don't know why they bother posting job openings on job boards and LinkedIn.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. What do you look for in a job/manager?

Notice how neither of these questions addresses a candidate's specific qualifications. No follow-up questions were asked after "Tell me about yourself."   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Activision (Bothell, WA).

Interview

* Someone I spoke with on the phone discussed details of another applicant by name (extremely unprofessional).

* An interviewer seemed lost during the interview process, and kept asking me for my questions.

* After interviewing, it was implied to me that I could receive an offer but would have to accept it before hearing any details about it (even the title and compensation).

Interview Questions

• As a thought experiment (not as a literal Q&A), how did I think C++'s vTables were implemented in order to achieve multiple-inheritance and polymorphism across DLLs.   1 Answer

Social Media Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Activision.

Interview

I was called into the El Segundo office for an interview. The interview began with two employees reading off questions from a sheet of paper and then a portion that you fill out containing example situations that you may face on the job, followed by two managers coming in to ask further questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Activision?
      What are you experiences with customer service through social media?   Answer Question

The reason I declined the offer is directly due to the attitude/general personality of one of the managers. From the moment I introduced myself he didn't look me in the eye once, had an overall condescending tone to fellow employees and me as well, and questioned everything I said to the extent that I was forced to repeat myself multiple times, which only confused everyone. Let's call this guy Manager 2 in this example re-enactment:

Manager 1: Describe a negative experience you have had with a customer in your current position.

Me: Fortunately, to date, I have yet to have a negative customer experience. My current involvement with customers has been focused primarily on initial relationship building and transitioning from a marketing standpoint. In our company, customer issues are directed towards the support team who handles those-

Manager 2: stop! stop stop stop. Ok.. I don't know if you heard the question or weren't listening or what, but Manager 1 asked you to describe a *NEGATIVE* experience you had with a customer.

Me: ? I understand that. I don't deal with customers directly in that manner..

This happened frequently and the two other interviewers noticed as well yet didn't speak up which was an immediate red flag for me. At the end of the day, this was the guy that has the ability to hire me or not, and is going to be the man I work for. It's not like he's gaining anything from trying to prove how tough and alpha male he is, which he did consistently. I've never had an interview I was eager to go to, where I left feeling like I crushed it and also never wanted to work at a place like that in my life. There wasn't an ounce of anything that Activision "represents" embodied in that interview, and it is solely due to the attitude of the manager. You should make me revere you, not fear you. Like I said, at the end of the day, its your choice on if I get the job or not. So why display such negativity on a person who at the end of the day you're making an investment into, and you know want(ed) to be in your position? Doesn't make sense to me. Nothing he said was beneficial to them learning about me and more about him displaying his dominance in the office as if the company would fold without him, which came off as pretentious, un-intimidating, and as uninviting as possible.

Anyway I did get an offer about a week later and turned it down with no hesitation. It's a shame to me that a company with such an outstanding reputation has employees like this but i'm crossing my fingers for an opportunity in another location.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Multiple calls with a recruiter, mainly about visa issues. Then I had a skype call with 2 members of the team. After that I had to wait for a long time until a final decision was made.

Production Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Activision (Mobile, AL) in February 2016.

Interview

Initial round interview was a phone screen. Second was back to back interviews with two members from a specific production group, one of which was the director.

General behavioral questions at the start. Then some specific questions regarding gameplay and methods to continually engage players in hopes of rising revenue from in game purchases.

Interview Questions

• What methods would you employ within this specific game to further engage players and encourage more in game purchases and revenue.   1 Answer