Activision Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

2.6

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Activision (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone call went great. I was told there would be a follow up call with a manager. A day later I received a one liner email from the recruiter saying he knew someone I had worked with in the past. Never heard from him again even after a follow up email. It was the most unprofessional interview experience I've ever had. Unfortunately it's experiences just like this one that give recruiters a bad reputation.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about experience and sourcing methods.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Activision (Bothell, WA).

Interview

* Someone I spoke with on the phone discussed details of another applicant by name (extremely unprofessional).

* An interviewer seemed lost during the interview process, and kept asking me for my questions.

* After interviewing, it was implied to me that I could receive an offer but would have to accept it before hearing any details about it (even the title and compensation).

Interview Questions

• As a thought experiment (not as a literal Q&A), how did I think C++'s vTables were implemented in order to achieve multiple-inheritance and polymorphism across DLLs.   1 Answer

Social Media Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Activision.

Interview

I was called into the El Segundo office for an interview. The interview began with two employees reading off questions from a sheet of paper and then a portion that you fill out containing example situations that you may face on the job, followed by two managers coming in to ask further questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Activision?
      What are you experiences with customer service through social media?
      Answer Question

The reason I declined the offer is directly due to the attitude/general personality of one of the managers. From the moment I introduced myself he didn't look me in the eye once, had an overall condescending tone to fellow employees and me as well, and questioned everything I said to the extent that I was forced to repeat myself multiple times, which only confused everyone. Let's call this guy Manager 2 in this example re-enactment:

Manager 1: Describe a negative experience you have had with a customer in your current position.

Me: Fortunately, to date, I have yet to have a negative customer experience. My current involvement with customers has been focused primarily on initial relationship building and transitioning from a marketing standpoint. In our company, customer issues are directed towards the support team who handles those-

Manager 2: stop! stop stop stop. Ok.. I don't know if you heard the question or weren't listening or what, but Manager 1 asked you to describe a *NEGATIVE* experience you had with a customer.

Me: ? I understand that. I don't deal with customers directly in that manner..

This happened frequently and the two other interviewers noticed as well yet didn't speak up which was an immediate red flag for me. At the end of the day, this was the guy that has the ability to hire me or not, and is going to be the man I work for. It's not like he's gaining anything from trying to prove how tough and alpha male he is, which he did consistently. I've never had an interview I was eager to go to, where I left feeling like I crushed it and also never wanted to work at a place like that in my life. There wasn't an ounce of anything that Activision "represents" embodied in that interview, and it is solely due to the attitude of the manager. You should make me revere you, not fear you. Like I said, at the end of the day, its your choice on if I get the job or not. So why display such negativity on a person who at the end of the day you're making an investment into, and you know want(ed) to be in your position? Doesn't make sense to me. Nothing he said was beneficial to them learning about me and more about him displaying his dominance in the office as if the company would fold without him, which came off as pretentious, un-intimidating, and as uninviting as possible.

Anyway I did get an offer about a week later and turned it down with no hesitation. It's a shame to me that a company with such an outstanding reputation has employees like this but i'm crossing my fingers for an opportunity in another location.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Multiple calls with a recruiter, mainly about visa issues. Then I had a skype call with 2 members of the team. After that I had to wait for a long time until a final decision was made.

Production Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Activision (Mobile, AL) in February 2016.

Interview

Initial round interview was a phone screen. Second was back to back interviews with two members from a specific production group, one of which was the director.

General behavioral questions at the start. Then some specific questions regarding gameplay and methods to continually engage players in hopes of rising revenue from in game purchases.

Interview Questions

• What methods would you employ within this specific game to further engage players and encourage more in game purchases and revenue.   1 Answer

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Activision (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

It was very involved. Multiple sessions with multiple departments and Managers, involving a skills test as well. It began with a call, then an in person interview, then with multiple departments, then a skils test.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Activision (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

The interview process itself was great and as I would expect. I met with each team member and thought the interview went well. The follow up was the disappointing part. After my on-site interviews, I was informed that the SVP wanted to meet a few more candidates before bringing the finalists back on-site to meet with additional Business Leaders with whom this role would partner. After that, I never heard from them again - not even to tell me that the hiring manager had decided to move forward with other candidates. I wasn't upset I didn't get the role - I was bothered that I didn't receive any follow up and no one closed out the process with me.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most difficult working relationship you've experienced.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Activision (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter, phone interview with senior management, in-person interviews with four people over the course of four hours. The recruiter is friendly, helpful, and approachable but the interviewers tend to be awkward and unfriendly. Nobody will contact you if you do not get an offer, so you'll have to ask.

Quality Assurance Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Activision (Bloomington, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

Went into the office after scheduling the interview and was put into a room with a large group of other applicants. Was a very standard interview mainly focusing on what games I enjoy and what I'd do if I run into certain situations while playing a game at home. After meeting with the first interviewer I was "moved" to another area to meet with a higher up, which turned out to be the Senior Manager that I would be working with when accepting the job offer. Seemed that only people the first interviewer "accepted" spoke with the higher up.

Interview Questions

• Name certain bugs you'd look for when playing a game?   1 Answer

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Activision (Santa Monica, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online a few months before hearing from them. I happened to be emailing some of the Activision recruiters regarding other internship openings but nothing was available. A few days later I received an email from another recruiter asking me if I would like to interview for this internship. There were two 30 min interviews back to back with the associate producer and production director respectively. Focused on my experience with prior game projects, why I liked Activision, and my personality. They were looking for someone with production experience who could work well with others, be a team player, and didn't need a lot of tutorial on how to do the job. I received an offer the following week.

Interview Questions

• What unique value would you bring to the table?   1 Answer