Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2018

3.1

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

I had a two-hour interview with the woman who would be my supervisor if I had gotten the job. It was completely informal; a "meet-up" in a coffee shop. The woman spent most of the time talking about herself and how much the CEO likes her. She made it sound as if they were dating, but I don't think she meant to--it was just sloppy communication. I don't know if this is ABB's interview process now. They are a very young company, just trying to find their feet.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a former colleague, and after formally submitting my application I was contacted by the program director for my department. Communication was excellent, and I had a total of four interviews each with a different style before being offered the position.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

1-2 rounds with peers on the team, then with direct hiring manager. All questions and conversations pertain to job related duties and previous experiences that can speak about your likelihood to perform well while on the job.

Then one last 'cross-functional' interview, with a non-team member who's been part of the company for an extensive period of time, which evaluates how you'd do in the company culture vs. on the job itself. Otherwise known as the 'core values' interview which is the final evaluation one must clear before being granted a formal offer.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you had to get buy in from the group and how did you go about that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

Did an approx 1.5 hour video chat interview with what would be my direct supervisor plus his supervisor. Interview went well, was professional. Was told I would hear either way in 1 to 1 and a half weeks. I did not. Follow up was very unprofessional. I had to email twice and got no response the first time and a generic email the second time. Was contacted via email today through a generic rejection email I was not selected. Not impressed.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a scenario where residents were ready to testify at a hearing then a bunch change their minds and bail   1 Answer

Community Organizer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in June 2015.

Interview

The process was a bit confusing. Apparently there were on-contract positions and temp. positions. I sent my resume and interest blurb to a classified on Jobsthatareleft heard back from one employee that scheduled a phone interview. And I also applied online through Airbnb, and was scheduled to do a skype call. Unbeknownst to me, they were for different community organizer positions. I got neither of them.

Interview Questions

• If you were assigned a region of the city that was not engaged in the politics or debate, how would you activate them?   Answer Question

Community Organizer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Interviewed by a community organizer and then his manager. The interview was easy. The whole process took so long that I lost interest. I eventually took another job because I just needed to work.
    It seems like they are really busy and you don't feel like you matter to them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

They Couldn't make a decision for almost four weeks after the interview, took a long time to get answers, no updates, no clear instructions on what to submit, generally I felt left in the unclear and not provided with enough information

Photographer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

It was just a few emails with what I assume to be the Managing Editor, then a Skype call. The call lasted about 30 minutes, then we set up a test shoot to be able to assess my skills.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my general photography experience, and asked what experience I had with interior or real estate photography.   Answer Question

Language Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Got an email with an exercise to be finished in 3 days. says will come back to me in a few days once finished. never heard back thereafter. It would be great if they may send me a few lines saying if i passed or not, consider the time and effort i have devoted into the test.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

The recruiters I worked with were very good, punctual and responded to emails in a timely manner. They were very accommodating to my schedule and did their best to prepare me for my interviews.

The coding challenge was reasonable although you had to manage your time very carefully and prepare your tools ahead of time as it was timed. The first phone screen was focused on practical problems that were of adequate difficulty and appropriate for the position in question.

The on-site interview is a TIRING experience, I was there for almost 5 hours and was exhausted by the end. I found the technical portion of the interviews quite easy and was really only challenged by one question in 3 hours. Questions were a mix of practical coding problems and CS fundamentals. The culture portion of the interviews was more difficult, there were a range of question from explaining technical topics to a non-technical interviewer, to more personal questions about why/whether you like to travel, how you started programming, how you look at design, etc.

Interview Questions

• Some of the culture/personality questions were quite off the wall and hard to answer. For example, explaining to a non-technical interviewer how one would be able to identify elegant code.   Answer Question

One factor I considered was the offered option package. First, the recruiter was not able to tell me the strike price nor the number of basis points the offer represented which are pretty basic quantities to ask about when evaluating any stock option package. Secondly, they have a high valuation, relative to other companies with a similar risk profile, which cuts into the possible upside.