Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Dec 12, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me a few days after I applied online for an initial phone screen, very straight forward, just gauging my interests and motivations and so on.

The first technical phone screen followed very shortly after, which were very straightforward. She was pretty engaging and responsive. She definitely gave me a few hints along the way, but you must be extremely prepared with CS fundamentals.

I got a callback a day later notifying that I would make it on to the next technical phone screen. This one was a little easier than the first, so pretty manageable. The interviewer seemed to like my approach and was also very positive and engaging throughout the experience.

That afternoon, they told me I was moving on to the onsite, which I scheduled for the next week. One coding interview, two culture fit interviews, then lunch, experience, architecture, and one last coding interview.

The onsite coding interviews were actually the same caliber of the tech phone screen interviews thankfully, so don't expect them to get progressively harder. One of the interviewers told me that they recently refreshed their interview question bank with new questions, a lot of them they provide and make up on their own. Needless to say, none of the questions I saw on Glassdoor before this were remotely close to what I was asked. It was still pretty manageable though if you do your preparation.

One thing I should have been more prepared on was semaphores and mutexes. They asked me in depth about processes for about 20 minutes, and my knowledge was only pretty intermediate. Makes sense I guess since the engineers do dev ops on their own, which is respectable. Make sure to study advanced details on processes, threads, and scheduling.

Also make sure to get up to speed on intermediate - advanced Discrete Math, that was a common theme.

The rest of the interviews were straight-forward. Culture-fit was pleasant, as long as you have creative answers you'll be fine. Don't be caught off guard by the abrupt, quirky questions. If you're quick on your feet and proof to substantiate your answers it will go well.

Experience was just a high-level casual conversation about my resume, didn't go in depth at all, no whiteboarding. I got to ask the engineer a lot of questions here due to the extra time left.

Interview Questions

• 1. Implement algorithm to rotate binary tree
      2. Change algorithm for trees with 1 to n children nodes
      3. Iterative implementation   Answer Question
    • Given a string (no spaces) and a pattern, see if they match.

"xyzxy" and "airbnbairbn" return true.
      "ccc" and "airairair" return true.   Answer Question
    • With two words and a separate list of words, find the shortest sequence between the two words where only one letter is changed at a time. Make sure to return the sequence of words as a list (solution only valid with backtracking).   Answer Question
    • Architect and design an Airbnb clone   Answer Question

SWE Interview

Interview

Applied online and was reached out to by a recruiter. After responding, was sent a Coding challenge on hackerrank, and was given 60 minutes to complete it. All test cases are given to you

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

They presented me with an interesting problem that related to the problems the firm attempts to solve. It was really challenging but also fun to tackle; I would say the hardest part of the challenge was that I ran out of time.

Interview Questions

• Basically wanted to figure out how to sort some listings Airbnb would present their customers on their site with some constraints.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interviewer asked me to talk about my coding challenge solution, and ask some time complexity question and how to improve the performance. But during the whole process, the interviewer seems to have no interest in what I am talking about. :-(

Interview Questions

• The time complexity of the code.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial phone screen with a manager.
    Full day of interviews (prepare for being on premises for 8 hours)
    Challenge prep - 2 hours to respond to a challenge
    Present to the panel
    Lunch break
    Individual interviews with your panel
    2 culture fit interviews
    Wrap up with recruiter (on schedule, didn't happen)

Bring some food with you - it gets grueling. They feed you at lunch but if you need to keep your energy up, bring an energy bar with you. Breaks are minimal after lunch since all the interviews are back-to-back

Prepare for some of your interviewers to be late and/or expect that some of the panel interviewers may not be able to show up. They will be able to watch a recording of your presentation later.

The culture fit interviews are hard to prepare for. My sense is that these are based on their values. Each interviewer asked a variation of the same question ( at least they did in my case. YMMV).

Note: Extreme lack of diversity in interviewer composition (99% male)

Interview Questions

• Given a challenge, you have 2 hours to come up with a presentation. You will have 45 minutes to present. You won't know what the challenge is until you arrive at Airbnb HQ that morning.

I can't share the exact question. However, the question can touch upon any of the host or guest facing flows - list your space flow, search experience, referrals, trips, payments, new user experience (depending on role you are interviewing for). It will have a stated objective - ex: increase new user growth, etc.

Your presentation can be a deck or a written doc or just have you doing a voice-over. Format is up to you. They are testing for problem solving and communication skills.

You will then have 30 minutes to present this topic to a panel of product managers, engineers, designers, data scientists, etc.   Answer Question
    • Culture question - best gift you gave someone, Airbnb trip experience, how do you resolve conflict, weakness.   Answer Question
    • How do you work with engineering to resolve conflicts? walk through hypothetical case.
      talk about a project you started and pushed through engineering - what data did you look at, what did you consider, what problem did you see, how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was fairly straightforward and mostly efficient, prior to face-to-face interviews. Post in-person meetings, the recruiter disappeared for awhile, only to remerge with excuse after excuse regarding why a decision was not made. Six weeks after in-person interviews, still no decision as the 9+ people who interviewed me were “still evaluating what the primary responsibilities were for the position.” Only after telling them I️ had other offers, they contacted me, nearly two months after interviewing, that the role was being eliminated. Leadership inefficiencies were picture clear, unable to make quick decisions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Two coding rounds (on my laptop), two architecture/design, 2 cross-functional/culture. It was interesting that almost everyone I talked to mentioned how much Airbnb cares about diversity, but I had 7 rounds in a row with nothing but Asian men.

Interview Questions

• How do you give back to the community / volunteering that you're passionate about   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

There are two interviews together. Each one of the interviews lasts about 45 minutes and requires me to finish coding one problem. And the interviewers will have some follow up problems.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

They were really friendly and accommodating! Because I had a deadline, they expedited my process and gave me a response within 1-2 days after I finished the interview. However, their interview process is really hard. Their initial coding challenge is pretty easy but afterwards, the technical skype interviews are quite difficult. They require you to write a lot of code within a short period of time while the algorithms themselves aren't very easy.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in November 2017.

Interview

I applied without any connections in the company so I wasn't really expecting anything back, but they got back to me pretty quickly (within the month) to reach out for a HackerRank interview. It was a really fair question, but the time limit was pretty frustrating and I didn't do as well as I would have wanted.

Interview Questions

• Pagination through unique entries, you got to pick the language of your choice.   1 Answer