American Institutes for Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 27, 2018

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research in April 2016.

Interview

The recurter called and told me the description of the job. Made an appointment for a phone interview. On the phone interview day nothing hard was asked... The interviewer mainly described the job and asked if that is something I would be interested in

Interview Questions

• They just want to know if what they are offering you is something that you would interested in doing   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

I got a call from recruiter followed by an online test. Then one hr round. I was not ready for video call but hr did go for video later hr decided not to move with me.

Interview Questions

• Online test has sql n data structure questions.   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Interview

Used to be an intern. Got hired after graduation. Only had one interview with a high level person. We talked about what projects they have and what might be of interest for me.

Interview Questions

• They introduced the project and asked about my interest and what part of the projects I'd like to be involved with.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial phone call with HR followed by online sql assessment and technical video interview with technical lead. I was invited for on-site interview which has practical sql assessment for 1 hr and two rounds of technical interviews with the team along with brief interview with HR.

Interview Questions

• Multiple sql technical questions and Case study with open ended questions   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the HR person in DC office and an on-site interview with 4 colleagues in the San Mateo office (where I'm working). We mainly discussed my past experience in quantitative research and data analysis, and the statistical software skills I have.

Interview Questions

• talk about your research project   1 Answer

ELearning & Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process included an initial phone screen with HR, followed by a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. After those interviews, I interviewed in person two days later: 4, 30-minute interviews back to back and a writing test. After that the hiring manager wanted to do another 30 min phone interview the following week. The hiring manager made me a verbal offer in the last phone meeting, discussed my salary expectations which were on target with hers, discussed a starting date and that they wanted to switch the role to a contract position for the first 3 months, to which I agreed. She told me she'd have the HR personnel follow up with me and that she was excited to have me come aboard. I waited a week for HR to contact and then followed up. The HR person indicated that the hiring manager had not contacted her with offer information for me and that the hiring manager still wanted to interview other candidates and would make a decision and notify me on a specific date in a week. A week later the HR person told me I was still under consideration but they would be pushing their decision back by another week. That week came and went and I was not notified either way.

In all, aside from my meetings with HR and the four individuals, the interview process was disorganized. Each thirty minute interview was rushed and didn't offer enough time to have reasonable discussions, but each person I met with still tried to have a good interview meeting despite the rush. Also the hiring manager was rushed in all three of the meetings I had with her and obviously it left a bad taste to be offered the job by the hiring manager and then to not even be directly told that the offer is being rescinded or rethought or why. She asked me to prepare some materials for the interview, which I did and then apparently did not remember what materials she had asked for also didn't have time to look at them.

The hiring managers at this firm need additional training from HR on how to conduct interviews well: how long a quality interview should be, how to prepare yourself and questions prior to an interview in order to gather the data you need to make a decision in an organized and timely manner and of course what questions you can legally ask candidates so as not to open the company up to any legal exposure. No one took notes in any of minutes and essentially just asked me questions off the cuff.

I've known other employers who work from a list of set questions when interviewing multiple candidates to ensure equitable comparison, to ensure of course notes are taken rather than working from memory to make a hiring decision and to ensure they don't discuss things they shouldn't with candidates.

Also be considerate of the effort candidates put into in their job search and make sure that hiring managers have the time to evaluate candidates, their work and respond in a reasonable timeframe or certainly in the time frame you commit to respond in.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions about my professional background and interest in the role and the company. However the hiring manager, a Vice President, did ask me an illegal question regarding what did my spouse do for a living I'm assuming so she could get a sense of how long did I plan to be living in the area. And another interviewer inadvertently asked me if had children but did take back the question after they, I believe, realized, it was inappropriate for an interview

Where do I see myself in five years?   1 Answer

Science Assessment Item Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process at AIR is as disorganized as the organization itself. I applied at the beginning of November, had a phone screen two weeks later, a phone interview with the hiring manager two weeks later, then a test & Skype interview two weeks after that, and I still have never been informed where my candidacy stands (3 months later). I checked in two weeks after my Skype interview and they told me a decision had not yet been made. I have not heard from them since. The phone screen was pretty standard and the recruiter very nice. The phone interview was the total opposite, the woman on the other end seemed uninterested in talking to me and wanted me to design questions on the spot for topics I had not studied since high school. The Skype interview was better, but a lot of the people told me just how disorganized and chaotic their organization was. While I appreciated their honesty, this may not be the best way to sell your organization to a potential employee. Overall, even if they had offered me a position, I would have politely declined because it was evident there are a lot of problems and chaos in the assessment department. This is also clear reading employees reviews.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a test question that incorporates the NGSS standard of engineering a solution and Newton's Second Law of Motion.   1 Answer

Web Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research in October 2017.

Interview

Went through email introduction. I was given an code test to take. Seemed good and standard. Once complete the code test, I was told to zip my files and send to the HR person.

This is where it goes down hill.
    1.) They can't open zip files. So why ask for a zip file.
    2.) I sent my files through my github account.
    3.) I didn't here back from them at all. I just assumed they have github blocked or something.

This was probably one of the strangest and wasteful interviews I have EVER DONE.

Science Test Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

First, was a phone screen with HR, followed by phone interview with Senior Manager a few days later. A day after the phone interview, received invitation for on-site visit to meet with 5-6 people. 1hr long test. Spoke with HR about benefits and chatted with several staff members.

.NET Developer Interview

Interview

HR and the tech team was good. The whole interview process was fast and efficient. Wish I had more experience on C# and database design. The recruiting team are eager to hire talented .NET developer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

There we three steps. The first was video conference with the recruiter followed by technical phone interview. The last step was onsite interview with senior engineer, technical director, and technical project manger.