American Institutes for Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research in April 2016.

Interview

The recurter called and told me the description of the job. Made an appointment for a phone interview. On the phone interview day nothing hard was asked... The interviewer mainly described the job and asked if that is something I would be interested in

Interview Questions

• They just want to know if what they are offering you is something that you would interested in doing   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Interview

The interview process occurred over 4 months; communication for interview scheduling and at follow-up was poor. I applied online, had an initial interview and then a second interview two months later. In the second interview, I gave a research presentation and then met with several employees one-on-one throughout the day. The questions that I received were normal, nothing challenging (tell me about your research, your experience, etc.). After my interview, communications with AIR went silent. HR did not respond to my follow-up email two weeks after my interview inquiring about the status of my application. I didn't hear anything until a month later (following an additional follow-up e-mail) when I was told they gave the position to somebody else.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two rounds of phone screen followed by an onsite interview. They asked a lot of technical questions on SQL and some questions on Excel. The overall experience was very professional and efficient and people there were very nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online. I had one screen interview with HR, followed by phone technical interview and onsite interview. Questions on Data structure, Algorithms, C#.Net, SQL, Multi threading, Problem solving skilss, Database queries.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later received the HR's email scheduling an initial telephone screening. It was quite standard and lasted 10-15 minutes collecting basic information, at the end of the call the HR asked me to submit a set of my independent writing samples in order to be considered for the second round of interview. I emailed her three writing samples of mine and waited for about 2 weeks before they further contacted me to schedule the second phone interview with the hiring manager. The second interview lasted for about 30 minutes asking for experience in relevant skills required by the position. It was a pleasant conversation and the hiring manager was friendly and courteous. 3 days later I was informed to confirm with a date for an onsite interview. Flight and accommodation were both taken care of by AIR, which was good. The onsite interview was 3-hour long talking with 6 interviewers with a 2-interview panel in each hour, starting from those who are in the position I applied for to senior fellows. 3 of them were in the DC office, so it was part remote. All of them were friendly and courteous and asked questions basically related to my research experience and particular skills with very few behavioral questions as I remember. The last hour with two senior fellows was a lot more technical and difficult than with the previous two panels. I gave half-baked answers to two questions in this round. Overall it was a positive experience meeting nice people, and the entire process was very professional. Two weeks later I was informed that they just chose someone else.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone screening with the recruiter followed by phone interview with two senior software engineering managers. They mainly asked theoretical technical questions and had specific answer in mind. Any alternative valid options were not taken seriously. It was obvious that the interviewers were not able to evaluate analytical problem solving creative thinks skills.

Interview Questions

• What is the minimum and maximum number of entries in a JOIN operation?   Answer Question
    • What is a good indexing method for word-search in documents to populate a list of documents as you type?   Answer Question
    • What is the time complexity of a binary search algorithm?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Interview

Applied online and received a call after 2 weeks from a recruiter to set up a 15 min phone interview. That went well, the recruiter was very friendly and professional. The recruiter then set up a 30 min phone interview with the hiring managers (researchers ) for the following day which was a total joke. There was some awkward silence and over all the interaction was very dull and unattractive. As they went along with explaining the position, I started to lose interest with the position and the people I may be working with.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions. Why did you choose AIR and the position etc   Answer Question

Psychometric Support/Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

The total process once I received the first call from the recruiter took about three weeks, it was very quick. I applied online through Indeed and got a random call a few weeks later asking me to do a brief, easy phone screening. The next step was a 30 minute phone interview which was also very easy and straightforward, asking mostly about my interest in the position and my research experience.
    The final step is a 3 hour in-person interview; since I was traveling out of the country we scheduled a skype interview, and I spoke with 6 different individuals for 30 minutes at a time. Fairly straightforward and mostly similar, asking me mostly about my research experience, why I was interested in working for AIR, and my future plans etc.
    I found out a week later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your undergraduate research experience and talk a little about working independently and with others   1 Answer

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

a recruited contacted me and scheduled a 30 minute interview with the IT director. basic questions mostly on my background and on the job description. passed that and got another 30 minute technical interview. was good and got a third face to face interview with 6 people who i work with each with 30 minutes.

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Interview

The process was long and confusing. I did 3 phone interviews, one all day interview where I had to give a "job-talk" similar to a talk given for an academic job and a second 2 hour interview. After that I waited for more than 2 months for a decision. The whole process took longer than a federal job.

Test Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Interview

The recruiter was friendly. The next round..the hiring manager was condescending and dismissive before I even got a chance to explain or sell myself. She acted as if she was annoyed she had to speak to me...100% rude. Additionally she immediately yawned and sighed after i just answered hello.

Interview Questions

• Why do you consider your nonpaid graduate research relevant?   Answer Question