Applied Materials Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Applied Materials Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2017

2.9

Focused Ion Beam Technician Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews with members of the lab, then a three hour on-site one-on-one and small group meetings with each lab member, the lab manager, and the site/local manager.

Interview Questions

• Unfortunately, in sum: "Why do you seem to be under the impression that you deserve a fair wage?"   1 Answer
    • Would you be okay with a protracted contractor classification and no guarantee of a full-time offer later?   1 Answer

Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Hiring manager called me and it was a smooth talk including some technical and personality questions. A week later I was invited on site. The interview day was very unorganised, I had no idea whom I was going to talk to except that I was asked to prepare a presentation. The presentation part went well, but then there were multiple interviews with staff engineers and managers. Almost all the group, except the hiring manager, were Asian which was the first red flag I noticed. I was fine with the hiring manager and actually appreciate his approach toward a candidate with a recent PhD looking for a position with industry. But most of other members were much older and their ideas of an ideal candidate were not realistic. Some of them asked me to drive equations like Snell's law from Maxwell equations! These days, if you know answers to such detailed questions, you are either a faculty teaching relevant courses or an idiot scientist who regularly drives equations for fun. Honestly, I have never had a good experience with Asians in interviews, they are just trying to get rid of anyone who is not Asian. In the lab tour, I saw about 20-30 people working where all were Asian except one young Indian engineer and the hiring manager. These companies should learn that such racial monopoly in their organization will damage their reputation and performance soon or later.

By the way, I still have not heard back from HR regarding reimbursement of my trip! I am very disappointed with this company.

Interview Questions

• Typical personality and research oriented questions. Technical questions ranged from theoretical aspects like driving Snell's law from a wave perspective to designing a micro-optics illumination system. Some questions were way beyond my knowledge and skills and I felt they were just excuses to pass on candidates.   Answer Question

Technical Product Support Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

I was contacted for a TPS Engineer III by an employee via e-mail. I had one interview with a 30 minute presentation regarding my thesis. Second interviewer came along and asked questions and then took me to another room (as the room we were in had a meeting scheduled), and we spoke for another hour. Before the end of the conversation, I was asked when I'd be able to start. After a month, I got an e-mail/voicemail for a 2nd round interview with the Managing Director of the Metal Deposition Group. Only 1 day advance notice. This individual was outright rude and condescending. No personal skills whatsoever and he'd stare at you in such that it was uncomfortable at times. After that "interview", the original personnel then had me wait 1 hour so that he could other people (who were informed to me beforehand) interview me. After 2nd round of interviews, I got a rejection e-mail. I find that not only was your interview process extremely uncoordinated and unprofessional, but you had called me 2X onsite (58 miles one way from home) and then you sent a rejection e-mail. Maybe you should screen your potential candidates better before sending out e-mails for job opportunities; or better yet, not call the candidate for a 2nd round if he/she is going to be rejected in the end.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview

Submitted my resume to a recruiter at a college fair. Got an email from a hiring manager a few months later. Had one phone interview with the manager and we discussed my resume. Was very straightforward and conversational.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the hiring manager for a first tech round. It was basic string and array problems. At the end of the phone call I was told they would like to fly me for an onsite . During my onsite I had 4 interviews with developers from different teams. All of them were well experienced and had a sound knowldege on c/c++. I was mostly tested on c and c++. I was tested on algo problems and writing test cases. It was a good experience altogether

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview

5 Interviews, 2 phone interviews with recruiter and hiring manager & 3 face to face interviews with hiring manager and his manager and finely with HR.
    most of the questions were technical and riddles.

Interview Questions

• There is a round table and unlimited coins, 2 people are playing a game and the game goes like this: each player puts one coin on the table on his turn.
      the player with no more room to place a coin loses.
      design an algorithm that will assure that you will win each and every game.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview

I was a referral so things moved pretty quickly in the beginning. However, having recruiting experience myself, I was skeptical when I found out the manager was handling the interviewing process (vs. the recruiter). Had a call with a manager at an off hour (he/she didn't schedule beforehand and he/she just called randomly a few times) and it went well! He/she mentioned he/she'd call back for next steps about an onsite interview. But never heard back. Even when my friend, who referred me, tried to contact him/her - they never heard back too. We all got ghosted.

Interview Questions

• Share with me an example of an employee relations case you've worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Interview process involved meeting the whole team such as the project leader, engineers, and director of the team. It was an interview that included being interviewed by approx. 6 people.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to have a candidate that could critically think and solve problems. The hiring manager asked a question prior to the interview and wanted to hear your answer to assess how you thought.   Answer Question

Buyer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview process is very simple. They first have a phone screen. Then they Invite you to visit their office. Treat you to lunch and give a brief description of the company and the role. Conduct the interview with two different employees related to your position. Interview is mostly behavioral.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

They contacted me have a phone interview with me and set an onsite interview for me next week. I interviewed with 5 different people. All went well and they told me I am the number one candidate and they will let me know by the week after. They never gave me an answer and never answered any of my followup emails. And I thought you wasted your time and mine for one day and did not even care to just sent a one line rejection email? really?!!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain how do I design a dashboard and bunch of other straight forward question.   Answer Question