Big Fish Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Big Fish Games Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2017

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Fish Games (Oakland, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me, and I had a standard phone screening with her. After that, I had a 30 minute phone call with their head of Product, where he asked me general questions about my experience.

The onsite process was fantastic- their recruiter obviously put a lot of time into structuring the interviews. First, I met with head of Product, then two of his other PMs. Each of them had a specific problem they wanted me to talk to them about. They would present me with an issue, and then asked me to walk through my thought process, challenging me and asking questions along the way. They also had me have lunch with several other employees, who talked to me about culture and got to know me personally.

The recruiter made sure I understood what was happening between each meeting, so I always felt like I knew who I was talking to.

It seems like a great company, and I was really disappointed to not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• They showed me a sample dataset, and asked me to describe hat I thought was going on with it.   Answer Question

Media Buyer Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Big Fish Games.

Interview

The progress of the whole interview was decent. I got the email for a phone screen. Scheduled a call. Answered a few questions. And got the feedback in time too.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big Fish Games (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Recruiter chat followed by an in-house interview loop.

Technical interview felt a little too rigid -- after the interview, I was told that the team wasn't sold on my tech skills, which I think had more to do with the interviewer's personal implementation preferences (and with my slow progress on some binary tree questions ... for a position that would certainly never involve implementing BST algorithms).

Otherwise the people I interviewed with were very friendly and it seemed like a fun team to work with.

Overall, although I was disappointed with one of the tech interviewers, I wish I had done a little better and have a good opinion of the company after interviewing with them.

Interview Questions

• Write code snippets describing the behavior of an elevator car in various environments (one car, multiple cars, multiple elevator shafts including an express elevator).   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Big Fish Games.

Interview

Fun, casual group interview. One interviewer asked the usual questions - experience, education, etc - and the other was more chatty and personable. Had a quick typing/writing portion on a laptop, as well.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite book?   1 Answer

Facilities Specialist III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big Fish Games (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Initial communication was fantastic. The recruiter was easy to talk to and to work with. Flexible enough to completely move my interview back 4 hours on a Friday.

Went in for a loop with the facilities team and was told I'd hear back soon.

Ultimately was not offered the position. What was most bothersome was I found out through an automated email explaining they had passed. You'd think after meeting your potential team members you'd at least get an email from the recruiter or manager.

Was also never told why they had passed.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you couldn't deliver on what was requested and what you did to make the situation right.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Big Fish Games (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

The whole interview process takes a very long time. The hiring manager and interview teams are very nice and friendly. Lots of questions abut CS algorithm and system design. However, the recruiter is the worst I have ever seen. He never answers my question or reply emails, very very rude.

Game Tools Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Fish Games (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process follows the common industry standard (apply, brief call with HR, multi-hour technical in person interview - you know the drill). What stands out is an active interest from the entire interviewing team. It felt like everyone involved wanted to be there. There was no "going through the motions" vibe, no feeling that an interviewer was forced to abandon their workflow 5 minutes beforehand by some meeting reminder chime, no one typing away behind a laptop on their "real" work during the interview. Interviewers were present in mind as well as body. Team members were timely - both arriving in the interview room on time and leaving enough time for me to ask questions. HR was personable, quick to respond, and honest in their timetables. Every interaction felt human. There was a level of professionalism I just haven't encountered in other interviews. It's a bunch of little details that add up, the sort that you hardly notice but make all the difference. Without a doubt, this was easily one of the best interview experiences I've been through.

Interview Questions

• The interview involved personal and technical questions, including proof-of-knowledge (data structures and traversal), open-ended implementation (how would you make <simple game logic> or <common real-world object>), and general conversation over resume, work history, game development and design, etc.   Answer Question

Mac Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Big Fish Games (Oakland, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

This is an extremely LONG interview process; I was set up to interview from 9am-1pm. (without a break) As the HQ is in Seattle, WA I was asked to partake in 3 remote interviews, and 5 in person interviews. I was fatigued, about 2 hours into it...
    I remember interviewing with the 5th person- by this point in the interview, I was so tired of repeating myself and talking about myself that I felt defeated.
    They were very unorganized and not transparent with each other- interviewers were asking the same questions... (among different interviewers.)

The interviewer people were not the problem, they were extremely friendly and outgoing and had lovely personalities.

The problem was with how HR chose to let me know they went with another candidate- which is completely FINE.

However, after a candidate shows respect, turns their phone on airplane mode, arrives on time and EARLY- at the very least you can CALL them to let them know their strengths and weaknesses, not via a "Dear John" candid response denial email. Very rude & inconsiderate.

Interview Questions

• How to troubleshoot a Mac in various ways, list them all.   1 Answer

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big Fish Games (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Pretty straightforward and unintimidating without any convoluted questions (like some QA testing interviews can include), mainly discussing experience and feeling out whether you are a good fit temperament/personality wise. In person interview at their facility with a few different people, twice with one person at a time, once with 2 people at a time. Entire interview process only lasted an hour or two.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you faced a difficult testing issue and how did you solve it?   1 Answer
    • How would you go about ad hoc testing a new game feature? (basic steps or strategies you would use)   Answer Question

Contract Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big Fish Games (Seattle, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard back within a week. They had me fill out a questionnaire to send in for evaluation and then I heard back with an offer for an interview. The interview was done with a few other candidates and a couple interviewers that we rotated through. As I was applying for customer service, the interviewers were from that department and each asked different questions about how we would handle certain issues and about ourselves. It lasted about an hour, though I can imagine it may be longer or shorter depending on the amount of interviewees. From the day I first applied I heard back with an offer in around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What do you think makes you the right choice for this position?   Answer Question