Bluecore Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bluecore Interview Questions

Interviews at Bluecore

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bluecore (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Initial HR phone screen, talk with Engineer manager, technical phone screen, video call with the CTO, and 4 hour onsite interview. Everyone I met with was friendly and knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• Typical software engineer interview questions (data structures, algorithms)   Answer Question

Jun 4, 2019 – SVP People

We're so glad you applied and have joined our mission! Thanks for this feedback!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bluecore in February 2018.

Interview

Started with a phone screen with an internal talent acquisition employee, then a phone/web tech screen, and then I had a video call with the CTO. The next step would've been an on-site for a half day.

The biggest problem I had is that I was given really positive feedback after the phone/tech screen and then after the video call I was told the company was not going to progress forward, but I was not told why. I even reached out to ask if there was feedback that they could provide to me, but never received a response. That soured me on the company for the future.

Interview Questions

• Phone/web tech screen had an algorithm question that's pretty standard for what most organizations are doing these days.   1 Answer

Jun 4, 2019 – SVP People

Apologies you had a poor experience with us! We really appreciate your feedback and have addressed the issue internally.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bluecore.

Interview

The interview process primarily consisted of a single 5+ hour onsite and then a couple other single interviews before and after this onsite. It was one of the best run interview processes I have witnessed. Everyone was extremely professional and courteous.

I rated the interview process as relatively challenging because the open ended questions that were asked about big data systems were applicable to the challenges they face or have faced and good answers to them are not easy. That said I really enjoyed the process and I thought the questions and discussions were very thoughtful.

While I ultimately took a competing offer, I walked away from the interview process with a very positive outlook on Bluecore. They have an amazing and highly qualified engineering team, they're working on some very challenging and interesting big data and machine learning related problems, and the company overall seems like a top notch place to work as an engineer.

Note that I intentionally left my interview questions vague here to protect Bluecore's interview process but I provided high level descriptions so you can know what areas to expect questions in if applying for a role at a senior level with a backend focus.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work with big data or infrastructure systems   Answer Question
    • A relational data modeling question and some relatively standard algorithms questions   Answer Question
    • Some big data questions involving understanding various big data store solutions and architectures, realtime and batch processes   Answer Question
    • Discussions on leadership and how to manage dev work effectively   Answer Question

Jun 4, 2019 – SVP People

Thank you so much for your review of meeting with us!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Technical phone screen with coderpad. Then manager call. Then onsite. Declined onsite due to having other offers. Their business model is doing analytics on user data for clients like ecommerce brands that want to figure out the best times to send marketing emails. Still a small startup at this point in terms of engineering headcount.

Interview Questions

• Simplified coding exercise about building a twitter feed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bluecore (New York, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

Worked through implementing a simulated real-world problem on an online editor with a friendly and knowledgeable developer. It was much better than the typical data structures and algorithms nonsense "stump the chump" nonsense interviews that a lot of companies do these days. I didn't get to the next phase, which was surprising in light of the feedback I had gotten on the call, but despite that, I thought it was a good interview process.

Interview Questions

• Given a description of a plausible real-world situation and sample usage, write the code to make the sample usage work.   Answer Question

Jun 4, 2019 – SVP People

Thank you for the feedback on your interview with us.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bluecore.

Interview

one hr call, one technical phone screen, one onsite (3 interviews, 2 technical 1 behavioral). pretty good experience overall, fairly easy technical questions, guess i didnt make the culture fit

Interview Questions

• search binary tree, search binary search tree, binary search rotated array, maze   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bluecore.

Interview

1st phone call with HR, then phone interview with a lead software engineer. On the phone call with HR they just ask about your background and tell you more about the company and position. With the engineer, you learn more about the job, talk about yourself and do a live coding problem

Market Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bluecore (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied through Planted, had a phone interview with the supervisor for the role then about 2 weeks later had live interviews with 6 team members. Really nice people and the whole process was amazing - they truly wanted you to be yourself and never tried to trip you up. The people who work here are very lucky and they know it, which is refreshing and made the whole process enjoyable.

Interview Questions

Bluecore Response

Jun 4, 2019 – SVP People

Glad you enjoyed your visit with us!

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bluecore (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Overall the interview process was good. HR was great to deal with along with the Hiring Manager. From start to finish it was rather quick and painless. They seemed to move quick.

Interview Questions

Bluecore Response

Jun 4, 2019 – SVP People

Wonderful! So pleased the process was quick and fluid for you! We take the candidate experience seriously!

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bluecore (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with the sales management team and some would-be peers in person at their Downtown NYC offices. The interview questions were fairly standard, with some oddball questions that seemed to be behavioral/reaction based. Get over yourself Bluecore, you're not Google and those types of questions are antiquated, plus make you look pseudo-intellectual and arrogant. The people I spoke with seemed a bit self-absorbed and at a few points in the interview process, even rude. I definitely had concerns about their culture after meeting with the team. I'm trying to be fair and not overly critical, but it's not every day that you can clearly see within an hour or so of an in-person interview, that a company has zero interest in hiring you. It was odd because I had a good deal of relevant experience for the role I was interviewing for, and did well in the interview overall. I believe they just decided they didn't "like" me. I have to say it struck me as unprofessional. I will say that HR was pretty communicative and professional throughout the process however, so that's a plus. My advice for salespeople is be careful with Bluecore. It could be a decent opportunity if they can get out of their own way. I think they're still figuring things out on a number of fronts, and the interview experience was very indicative of that. It was overall, a fairly bizarre experience and unfortunately a waste of time.