Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chelmsford, MA).

Interview

Hiring: The time between being contacted for the first time and receiving a final decision regarding an offer/rejection was about one month. During this time were phone, Skype, and in-person interviews.

Interviews: There were three interviews.

The first one was a phone-interview with one of the HR representatives, and also the first time I was contacted by Cadence. They asked general questions such as: "Where did you hear about Cadence?", "Why would you like to work here?", "What sort of work/hobbies have you done that have given you experience that can be used at Cadence".

The second interview was a set of 3 Skype video-interviews with people from the team I would be working with. These were 30-minute back-to-back interviews. The questions here were more technical-oriented, but appropriate for Skype. I.e., nothing that required me to draw or type out code. All answerable verbally.

The third and interview was an in-person interview. I flew out from another state, and Cadence provided all the logistics for getting there (Plane tickets, rental, hotel. They did a fantastic job). This interview lasted from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Lunch was included. I spoke with several different people over the course of this session, and about 3/4ths of questions were technical.
    Because of the highly-visual nature of what Cadence does (EDA), the majority of these questions were about 2D/Computational Geometry and working through problems related to it.

Overall, the interviews were very pleasant. I did not feel rushed during the technical parts.

Tips for the Reader:

Phone Interview: They may end up calling first before contacting via email: be able to genuinely answer the questions mentioned above.

Skype Interview: Business-casual is fine. Now is the time to screen-share and show any programming projects/demos (for ~5 minutes).

In-Person Interview: There were some basic coding exercises that I had to do relating to syntax for C/C++. Most of the technical interviewing was about solving problems and seeing how I approached them. I enjoyed using a whiteboard to draw out the various geometrical problems and work through them. I was offered the chance to explain one of my own projects through code, but it was just easier to draw out how it worked.

Fantastic process overall.

Interview Questions

• Geometry problem that I had never seen or thought of before.   1 Answer

Layout Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Cary, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

I was recommended by my professor here. The interview was pretty straightforward. Some technical questions and some behavioral questions. At first there was a phone interview, then I was caled on-site for a day long interview.

Interview Questions

• what is common centroid, how would you layout diff amps and current mirrors, what are the factors that affect Vth   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I got this interview via employee referral. Firstly there was one phone screen. Followed by half a day long onsite interview. Verbal offer in a week and actual offer in another 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Multicycle constraint, ECSM, CCS, BFS, DFS, constraints, DRV, setup, hold, late, early, CPRR, pulse latches, SOCV, POCV, ILM, ETM, spice correlation   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Cadence HR approached me on LinkedIn for a Lead Application Engineer position and bought me on site for technical interview which was carried by four different managers from different Engineering domains. Al though the interview was challenging I liked their work ethic and the way they demonstrated my duties. Interviewers covered a broad range of questions from technical, personality and critical thinking.

Interview Questions

• You know your tool doesn't support the features customer is asking for. How do you approach your customer and how are you going to solve his problem? And last but not least, What precautions do you take to keep the business relationship alive.   Answer Question
    • Many technical questions related to RCX, CKT Sim and LVS   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

1. There were 5 rounds. The whole process took 1.5 months before I received the offer letter.
    2. The interview is to make sure how good you fit into the role, not to test if you know something or not.
    3. The hiring manager was very prompt in following-up and sending updates of the process, in case if you are one of the potential candidates under consideration for offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Role play scenario between customer-vendor to resolve a case request posed
      2. Technical interests and the experience
      3. Technical questions - Verilog, System Verilog, UVM
      4. Questions specific to the technical side of the role you are interviewed for
      5. Hiring manager interview to understand your ability to fit into the role   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in July 2011.

Interview

I got hired into a location outside the US, through campus placement. The project never got started there and hence I was given an option to work in the US. Had to go through the interview process once again and it went very well. Had a phone interview and a personal interview with people at that site. Then got the offer and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• What is most interesting in the semi conductor industry   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

The interview process was very fast. The whole process took about 2 weeks. Most of the questions were technical and related to physical design. The staff was friendly and easy going. The process started with the phone interview followed by 1:1 onsite interviews with hiring manager, staff AEs and sales managers. The hiring manager clearly explained the job duties and expectations.

Interview Questions

• There were couple of difficult questions about LVS and schematic driven layout.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because the offer was very reasonable. Recruiter negotiated with the hiring manager to get the best offer.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Submitted the resume by my friends who works in Cadence. One week later, interviewed by the team manager. Got the oral offer one week later after the interview. After that, I was contacted by the HR and give a package for the position. The package is OK for a graduate intern. Of course not as attractive as big software companies.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult. Mainly placement stuff. The manager is really nice   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Submitted the resume and then there awas phone call asking me attend a phone interview. It was very easy interview after the interview with in few hours a job offer was made

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Received email to schedule phone interview. Scheduled the phone call for the same week. Phone call took about 20 minutes going through resume and answering basic coding concept questions. Got invite for on-site interview 2 weeks later. On-site interview is around 4 hours long starting with explanation of position and then the rest are technical questions. Interviews are 1 on 1, 30 minutes each and targets a different skill.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview:
      Explain inheritance.

On-site:
      Give expected output given C++ code that uses polymorphism.
      Find the errors and inefficiencies given C++ code.
      Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different data structures.
      Rewrite C code to take advantage of OOP.
      Explain how you would test for correctness given a goal problem and the code.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I had six interviews in a row on the same day, and questions that I was asked were not that difficult. I think as long as you know algorithms well, you will be fine. HR contacted me two days later after the onsite interview, and I got an offer within a week.