Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2017

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

The interviewer called on time that we scheduled. He spoke about the company, its product, what do the do. Then he explained to me how the interview process goes. He asked me questions about data structures and algorithms, C and C++ syntaxes, dynamic memory allocations. He gave hints when I am stuck. He increased the complexity of the question whenever I answered the question correctly. At last, he gave me a chance to ask questions if I have any.

Interview Questions

• 1. what data structures you used for your projects, internships etc.
      2. what is the difference between Vectors and Lists. when do you use Lists and when do you use vectors?
      3. The time complexity of binary search tree (best case, average case, worst case).
      4. segmentation fault and when does that happen?
      5. indirect question on deep copy and shallow copy ( asked about how to eliminate dangling pointer scenario)
      6. what are dangling pointers
      7. pointers vs references
      8. pass by value and pass by reference in vectors + "const" keyword usage in this.
      9. where to free memory in a class to eliminate memory leak?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got an email from the HR and the hiring manager. A few days later, the hiring manager sent me an email and scheduled a phone interview with me. Another few days later, a phone interviewed was done. I was noticed that I got the offer around 4 days later.

WFO Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

I received a call from the recruiter regarding the position availability. Later hiring manager contacted me to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was done and in 2 days hiring manager emailed me that they could not offer that role to me.

Interview Questions

• It was a technical interview. Hiring manager asked me about static timing analysis like what is setup time, hold time? What are those violations? What is clock skew and its causes etc?,   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

I applied on linkedin, was reached out to by a recruiter, then had a phone interviews with the hiring manager and two rounds of interviews with members of the team and directors on campus.

Interview Questions

• Experience working in a team, time when you didn't get along with someone and how it was resolved, revenue contract review terms that would alter revenue   Answer Question

WFO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Tempe, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was direct. They asked about the project which i worked on. They asked me to describe all the steps and determined whether i can understand the working model. The interviewer was focusing much on the skill set required for the job. Cadence is a good environment to work for and i am excited to be a part of it.

Interview Questions

• Real time scenario why you are facing problem with routing ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They provide what is expected of my position, so i didnt negotiate

EDA Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

It was a 30-minute phone interview.
    The hiring manager asked very basic interview questions.
    He mainly asked questions based on C++ programming
    Did not need employee referral even though I was applying for entry level position.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chelmsford, MA).

Interview

Hiring: The time between being contacted for the first time and receiving a final decision regarding an offer/rejection was about one month. During this time were phone, Skype, and in-person interviews.

Interviews: There were three interviews.

The first one was a phone-interview with one of the HR representatives, and also the first time I was contacted by Cadence. They asked general questions such as: "Where did you hear about Cadence?", "Why would you like to work here?", "What sort of work/hobbies have you done that have given you experience that can be used at Cadence".

The second interview was a set of 3 Skype video-interviews with people from the team I would be working with. These were 30-minute back-to-back interviews. The questions here were more technical-oriented, but appropriate for Skype. I.e., nothing that required me to draw or type out code. All answerable verbally.

The third and interview was an in-person interview. I flew out from another state, and Cadence provided all the logistics for getting there (Plane tickets, rental, hotel. They did a fantastic job). This interview lasted from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Lunch was included. I spoke with several different people over the course of this session, and about 3/4ths of questions were technical.
    Because of the highly-visual nature of what Cadence does (EDA), the majority of these questions were about 2D/Computational Geometry and working through problems related to it.

Overall, the interviews were very pleasant. I did not feel rushed during the technical parts.

Tips for the Reader:

Phone Interview: They may end up calling first before contacting via email: be able to genuinely answer the questions mentioned above.

Skype Interview: Business-casual is fine. Now is the time to screen-share and show any programming projects/demos (for ~5 minutes).

In-Person Interview: There were some basic coding exercises that I had to do relating to syntax for C/C++. Most of the technical interviewing was about solving problems and seeing how I approached them. I enjoyed using a whiteboard to draw out the various geometrical problems and work through them. I was offered the chance to explain one of my own projects through code, but it was just easier to draw out how it worked.

Fantastic process overall.

Interview Questions

• Geometry problem that I had never seen or thought of before.   1 Answer

Staff Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Austin, TX).

Interview

I traded texts with the hiring manager, which led to meeting him in a casual setting in a cafe. Our goals aligned well enough that the meeting led to a set of technical screens in the office. Each team member asked a different question on place and route, and the AE role. We touched on timing closure, tcl, DRC closure.

Interview Questions

• Given a circuit schematic and a clock period, what are the setup and hold times on a set of flops?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

Hiring manager called me for a first round phone interview. Hiring manager was 15 minutes late calling me, no email to inform me at all. Not only was this person late, sounded like they were driving on the road! Completely unprofessional. This is not the type of supervisor I would ever want to work for. Mind you, an interview is a two-way street to discuss potential fit, it's not one sided. Perhaps it is just this department/manager, but a red flag for me.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Plano, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied on Cadence career website. The position was for Plano, Texas. After a few weeks, got an email from Director - Technical Field Operations. A call was scheduled for 30-45 mins the next day. This was a kind of back ground check from the same person. In the following week, 4 calls were scheduled (as I live outside of USA), one each day for 45 mins to 1 hour. A couple of weeks later, when I asked regarding the update of interview process, I was told that I would be required to work for Cadence in my home country for 12 months prior to processing of the needed US immigration application.