Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 14, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chelmsford, MA).

Interview

Hiring: The time between being contacted for the first time and receiving a final decision regarding an offer/rejection was about one month. During this time were phone, Skype, and in-person interviews.

Interviews: There were three interviews.

The first one was a phone-interview with one of the HR representatives, and also the first time I was contacted by Cadence. They asked general questions such as: "Where did you hear about Cadence?", "Why would you like to work here?", "What sort of work/hobbies have you done that have given you experience that can be used at Cadence".

The second interview was a set of 3 Skype video-interviews with people from the team I would be working with. These were 30-minute back-to-back interviews. The questions here were more technical-oriented, but appropriate for Skype. I.e., nothing that required me to draw or type out code. All answerable verbally.

The third and interview was an in-person interview. I flew out from another state, and Cadence provided all the logistics for getting there (Plane tickets, rental, hotel. They did a fantastic job). This interview lasted from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Lunch was included. I spoke with several different people over the course of this session, and about 3/4ths of questions were technical.
    Because of the highly-visual nature of what Cadence does (EDA), the majority of these questions were about 2D/Computational Geometry and working through problems related to it.

Overall, the interviews were very pleasant. I did not feel rushed during the technical parts.

Tips for the Reader:

Phone Interview: They may end up calling first before contacting via email: be able to genuinely answer the questions mentioned above.

Skype Interview: Business-casual is fine. Now is the time to screen-share and show any programming projects/demos (for ~5 minutes).

In-Person Interview: There were some basic coding exercises that I had to do relating to syntax for C/C++. Most of the technical interviewing was about solving problems and seeing how I approached them. I enjoyed using a whiteboard to draw out the various geometrical problems and work through them. I was offered the chance to explain one of my own projects through code, but it was just easier to draw out how it worked.

Fantastic process overall.

Interview Questions

• Geometry problem that I had never seen or thought of before.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of several phone interviews with various managers followed by an on-site interview. The first phone interview was with the hiring manager, the second phone interview was the senior director, the third phone interview was with the sales director for North America. The on-site interview lasted a little over 6 hours and included lunch. Each of the on-site interviews had two people asking questions for about 1 hour.

Design Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Cary, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was good. The interviewer had a positive approach and made me feel comfortable. However the onsite interview was very bad. There were 3 people in the panel. The interviewers were not at all prepared and it was in a way to prove that I was not worthy of the position rather than trying to know my skill set. The worst interview I could have ever attended.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chelmsford, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

Met with three sets of people in person at the Chelmsford office then with another person in person at a coffee shop in Boston. I had been recommended by a former colleague, so I was not quizzed as much as most candidates would be.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked any technical questions beyond describing my previous work experience. It was very pleasant.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with manager personally, followed by 2 phone interviews each with a team member which were technical questions for the most part and then one more phone interview with manager regarding experience with working with customers

Product Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Phone interview was scheduled through Email, asked basic Verilog question. Then I was called for an onsite. Received Offer after 2 days.
    Important topics:
    Writing Synthesizable Code
    Understanding ASIC flow.
    Assertions.
    How do to debug a design.

Program Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very efficient and quick. Cadence contacted be shortly after I submitted my application to schedule a phone screening, and then shortly after that to schedule an on-site interview. The entire process of interviewing and waiting for them to contact me took about two weeks from when I submitted my application, which was a good length of time.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot about what was on my resume and my work ethic   Answer Question

Program Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied for the job and was contacted a month later. When I was contacted, I was asked to come in for an interview with a 2 day notice. I made arrangements and had an interview with my manager and intern program manager.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was too surprising. It's an entry level internship, so the questions aren't going to be terribly hard.   Answer Question

Field Operations Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Plano, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

The hiring process took about a month and a half from my initial interview to final offer. I had three over the phone interviews and two in person. They were all very detailed about what they were looking for, what was expected, and what I could expect. The process felt more like having conversations. It flowed easily.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a coworker that was difficult to deal with? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in August 2017.

Interview

I was asked questions concerning developing algorithms for solving problems related to the job I was apply for. Some were straightforward and some were more difficult. For the more difficult ones the interviewers helped work me through toward the solution.

All of the interviewers seemed to people who would be good to work with. Fortunately they made me an offer, I said yes, and my suspicions about the interviewers, now colleagues proved correct and I consider myself very fortunate to be working for Cadence.

Lead Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The process of interview was very smooth. First phone screen was done by a company recruiter, then by a department director. Then I got onsite interview invitation in San Jose.

Interview Questions

• describe the architecture that you designed before. coding...   Answer Question