Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chelmsford, MA).

Interview

Hiring: The time between being contacted for the first time and receiving a final decision regarding an offer/rejection was about one month. During this time were phone, Skype, and in-person interviews.

Interviews: There were three interviews.

The first one was a phone-interview with one of the HR representatives, and also the first time I was contacted by Cadence. They asked general questions such as: "Where did you hear about Cadence?", "Why would you like to work here?", "What sort of work/hobbies have you done that have given you experience that can be used at Cadence".

The second interview was a set of 3 Skype video-interviews with people from the team I would be working with. These were 30-minute back-to-back interviews. The questions here were more technical-oriented, but appropriate for Skype. I.e., nothing that required me to draw or type out code. All answerable verbally.

The third and interview was an in-person interview. I flew out from another state, and Cadence provided all the logistics for getting there (Plane tickets, rental, hotel. They did a fantastic job). This interview lasted from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Lunch was included. I spoke with several different people over the course of this session, and about 3/4ths of questions were technical.
    Because of the highly-visual nature of what Cadence does (EDA), the majority of these questions were about 2D/Computational Geometry and working through problems related to it.

Overall, the interviews were very pleasant. I did not feel rushed during the technical parts.

Tips for the Reader:

Phone Interview: They may end up calling first before contacting via email: be able to genuinely answer the questions mentioned above.

Skype Interview: Business-casual is fine. Now is the time to screen-share and show any programming projects/demos (for ~5 minutes).

In-Person Interview: There were some basic coding exercises that I had to do relating to syntax for C/C++. Most of the technical interviewing was about solving problems and seeing how I approached them. I enjoyed using a whiteboard to draw out the various geometrical problems and work through them. I was offered the chance to explain one of my own projects through code, but it was just easier to draw out how it worked.

Fantastic process overall.

Interview Questions

• Geometry problem that I had never seen or thought of before.   1 Answer

EDA Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

It was a 30-minute phone interview.
    The hiring manager asked very basic interview questions.
    He mainly asked questions based on C++ programming
    Did not need employee referral even though I was applying for entry level position.

Staff Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Austin, TX).

Interview

I traded texts with the hiring manager, which led to meeting him in a casual setting in a cafe. Our goals aligned well enough that the meeting led to a set of technical screens in the office. Each team member asked a different question on place and route, and the AE role. We touched on timing closure, tcl, DRC closure.

Interview Questions

• Given a circuit schematic and a clock period, what are the setup and hold times on a set of flops?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

Hiring manager called me for a first round phone interview. Hiring manager was 15 minutes late calling me, no email to inform me at all. Not only was this person late, sounded like they were driving on the road! Completely unprofessional. This is not the type of supervisor I would ever want to work for. Mind you, an interview is a two-way street to discuss potential fit, it's not one sided. Perhaps it is just this department/manager, but a red flag for me.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Plano, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied on Cadence career website. The position was for Plano, Texas. After a few weeks, got an email from Director - Technical Field Operations. A call was scheduled for 30-45 mins the next day. This was a kind of back ground check from the same person. In the following week, 4 calls were scheduled (as I live outside of USA), one each day for 45 mins to 1 hour. A couple of weeks later, when I asked regarding the update of interview process, I was told that I would be required to work for Cadence in my home country for 12 months prior to processing of the needed US immigration application.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in March 2017.

Interview

Got an email from HR to schedule an interview with Hiring manager. Hiring manager gave a short intro about the position, he was from the team they want to recruit. Asked some basic Data structure and C++ questions. Data structures questions were easy. C++ questions were kind of core questions, as I did not brush up properly, was not sure about some of the questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in March 2017.

Interview

HR setup a phone interview. Guy during the phone interview was a robot, did not introduce himself and continually spouted off technical questions. The interview was very cold and awkward, and I learned nothing about the position or even the company, and he offered no feedback.

Interview Questions

• How do you gaurantee a segfault?   1 Answer

Product Validation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

First was a phone screen and next step was an interview on-site. The interview process was a day long and all the team members, local and off-site interviewed, some in-person, some through the phone. The entire process went smooth.

Interview Questions

• What can you tell me about yourself? Why do you want to work with us? What is your research on?   1 Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. I spoke to 6 different people, including the manager that I am now working for. I was introduced to the team later on after the interview had finished and treated very nicely by everyone.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter after he saw my resume through Indeed. He set up a phone interview . The process took about a week. The questions were basic questions related to the position. Asked in general about C++,STL,basic SQL .