Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 26, 2017

3.1

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Baltimore, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

They set up three hour time slots to take an online exam. Initially, they scheduled them on a federal holiday and had to reschedule. The exam tested one's basic financial analysis skills.

Interview Questions

• Of these four credit cards, which would be the most likely to have clients who tend to make late payments?   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process appears to be rigged, they already plan to hire their friend/relative/relative of a friend, so they just go through the motions of interviewing you to waste your time. Most employees are related to or are friends with a current employee.

better opportunity

Director's Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a written assignment followed by two remote case interviews. The written assignment involved a two hour, short answer assignment. Both stages focused on cases related to consumer finance.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the issues associated with payday lending?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Interview

I had three interviews, an hour each, over the phone. Two involved case studies, and one was a "fit interview." I felt that the during the fit interview, the program manager was quite defensive about the CFPB not being a private company. The case studies involved quite a bit of mental math.

However, the managers of the DFAs have changed, and there is probably quite a different interview system now.

Interview Questions

• How does the mortgage market compare to other consumer financial markets?   Answer Question

Director's Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in December 2015.

Interview

Multi-step process consisting of an initial application, then a written assessment, and finally phone/Skype interviews. I had one phone interview and one Skype interview, both of which were case-based. The written assessment was quite straightforward, though it's important to keep track of time as you're going through it. I was asked no fit/behavioral questions in the phone/Skype interviews.

Interview Questions

• All the questions I was asked were case-based—things like, "Walk me through the graph on page X", "What do you think this term might mean?" or "What are some solutions you can come up with to help improve X problem?"   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

After the application date closed on the the website portal, it took approximately 2-3 weeks to hear back regarding the interview process. The first step was a two hour skills test based on real life financial case studies.

Interview Questions

• Auto loans are regarded as a fairly safe loan class. Why do you think consumers usually

pay their auto loan payments before any other type of debt they carry, even their

mortgages?
      Answer Question
    • Why do you think the vast majority (approximately 80%) of consumers finance their

purchase through the indirect financing channel?
      Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initial interview round consisted of interviews with several panels within the division. They use a structured interview model, so interviewers are required to only use questions from the official interview book. This makes the interview somewhat stiff and it's harder to make a personal connection. On the other hand, it's intended to ensure a fair interview process, so it makes sense.
    It took FOREVER before I got a call for the final interview (several months). I had assumed I just didn't get the job. The final interview was with two supervisors and followed the same structured interview format.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to research an entirely new topic and describe your research process step-by-step.   Answer Question

Pathways Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in January 2015.

Interview

After new years I received a flurry of emails from different teams at the CFPB looking to set up phone interviews. I did about 14 phone interviews (including some departments twice). Everyone was very nice that I spoke to, and offered a great deal of info. They all asked the same typical questions, and pitched their offices ahead of other offices within the CFPB. I really enjoyed getting to learn about so many different aspects of the CFPB, and had some nice conversations. I do wish the process could have been streamlined a bit, 14 phone interviews all asking the same questions was too much. The next week I received an email from HR with offers from some of the offices, and I was asked to pick just one to proceed with. Unfortunately, from there I was only given another week and half to accept the offer. This was January, far before other first round interviews had even taken place. It might have been a great job, and I might have accepted the offer if they had given a reasonable timeframe, but who knows.

Director's Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Interview

Found the position at an on campus career fair. Applied online, and within a few days was prompted to submit a written assessment, which dealt with analyzing data and correlations. Next was 3 skype interviews, one behavioral and two case studies.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted within a week or two of applying. The first step was a roughly hour long written assessment, which was essentially a case study of a financial market. While most of the questions could be answered qualitatively I think they're looking for you to use quantitative methods, e.g., run regressions. It was all done over email. After that came a series of three phone/Skype interviews which were a mix of behavioral and technical questions. I wasn't terribly impressed with the interview process. Several of the interviews started late (15+ minutes.) I was also told they would all be Skype intefviews, but some were phone interviews instead.

Interview Questions

• Based on a data set, is there reason to believe a given variable influences another variable?   1 Answer