Crate and Barrel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

1. Featured Interview

Furniture Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel (Dallas, TX).

Interview

There were two interviews: one with dept. head and second with store manager. Received phone call one week later with offer. Came back to complete paperwork before starting first day.

Interview Questions

• Behavior based questions, such as: Tell me about a time when a customer was unhappy and how did you handle it.   1 Answer

Department Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Phone interview then had a in person interview. The interview went well I believe however I was not offered the position due to my lack of experience in leadership. Need some sort of experience leading a group or team for this position

Interview Questions

• How do you stay current on home decor trends?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • If you saw an employee doing something he/she wasn’t supposed to be doing how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Department Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel (Plano, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied online for the Plano/Willow Bend store. I was seeking a different opportunity as I had been in the corporate world awhile. Plus, I was a CB customer and thought that might help too. A few days after I applied online, I was contacted a couple of times by a department team lead. We had a good phone chat and she set me up for an in-store interview with her and one of the assistant mangers. The first in-store interview went well; first I met with the team lead I had already talked to by phone. She was very friendly and we discussed some of my background but mostly the position responsibilities. I then interviewed with one of the assistant managers, who was also very friendly, upbeat and knowledge. She also showed me around the store and gave me insight into the position. In all, it went well and lasted about an hour. If these two did the hiring, I probably would’ve been hired, but they also wanted me to meet with the store manager, which is understandable. This was scheduled 2 days later and the assistant manager also gave me a job description to help me prepare for the interview, which I thought was a nice gesture. So far, so good. 2 days later I met with the manager. This was a little more formal than the previous two interviews, which were more relaxed. We discussed my background and what I’d bring to the position along with a few STAR-type behavioral questions. He was very nice and professional, but honestly I don’t think he believed I was a good fit, at least from what I could tell. At the end, he told me he had a few more interviews and would get back to me by early the following week. It’s been 10 days now and heard nothing back at all, so I’m assuming at this point it’s a no. It’s a disappointment considering how much I like CB but it’s also not the end of the world. Also proves that the store manager is the one who really makes the final hiring decisions here. With my limited retail and sales experience, I can’t say it’s a huge surprise I didn’t get it, but a chance at it would’ve been nice. I’m not bitter though and I wish CB well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you helped a difficult customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel.

Interview

I had a telephone interview and on a Friday at 3pm. I later was told never do an interview after noon time on a Friday.
    The recruiter seemed to be asking questions right off a form piece of paper and had little interest in my responses. I finished and thought ‘why would I want to work for this company’ and also understood why there were so many open positions!

Interview Questions

Crate and Barrel Response

Jan 29, 2018 – Recruiter

​Thank you for taking the time to discuss your interview experience with us. Recruiters can always do better so we appreciate your feedback.

Stock Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel.

Interview

The interview was really easy. They asked simple questions and just wanted to make sure that you were reliable and hard working. I was hired on the spot, pending a background check, which actually took over a week to come in.

Backroom Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coral Gables, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel (Coral Gables, FL).

Interview

Easy going group interview with the 2 managers, they made me feel comfortable with the interview and not being all pent up. They were clear in what my role would be working there

Merchandise Team Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel (San Diego, CA).

Interview

A couple days after applying online, I received a phone call for an in-person interview with one of the assistant managers. They were professional, but friendly. I could tell from the interview that this was a team who valued a fun and respectful team atmosphere while they worked.

Director of Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carol Stream, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel (Carol Stream, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

Good communication form the Human resources group. They ended up using an internal candidate but I am leaving this review as the communication was excellent up to and including letting me know they found someone internally.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

It was an easy interview. It took several minutes and I was offered the position. I enjoyed the overall process as I love retail work, home decorating, and entertaining.

Interview Questions

• Which area of the store interests you the most and why?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

referred by a friend . Interviewed by Sales Lead and the process was very average with general sales experience questions and education questions. The interview took about one half hour and the environment was very friendly

Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Crate and Barrel (San Diego, CA).

Interview

It was pretty simple I applied online and then reviewed my application and called me within a week. They wanted to set up another phone interview with the manager and then I went in for an interview a week later. After that I was offered the job but my schedule changed and I had to decline the offer.