Flight Centre Travel Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Flight Centre Travel Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2017

Travel Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Sydney, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

I saw a position for travel consultant on Seek so i applied. The next day i was sent an email saying i made it to the next stage and i had to follow a link to confirm a time for a 5-10 minute phone interview following day. If successful i would then be asked to participate in a group interview the following week.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with Flight Centre?   1 Answer

Wholesale Travel Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was not called at the scheduled time. The call came about 25 minutes later. The phone interview lasted over 20 minutes. I'm an experienced world traveler with a 52 page passport, not the standard. She questioned, how close I lived to LAX. She did state she doesn't know much about LA, since she lives in NJ. If your in the travel industry, shouldn't you know basic information about LA, since it is a popular travel destination? I did question the salary + bonuses. The income potential, not sure if what I was told was accurrate, since it would be wholesale (discounted). Making the yearly income basically at the base pay.

Travel Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

A current employee referred me to the company. I sent my resume and the same day was sent an email for me to select a phone interview day and time. I currently live in Los Angeles and the HR rep is located in New Jersey and I selected my phone interview time to be 7am PST. The day of I waited for the call and did not receive one. I sent an email to the HR rep at 7:20am and stated I would love to reschedule the interview, only to receive a response at 2pm PST which simply stated "I called. Did you not receive my call". (There was and still is absolutely nothing wrong with my phone, she never called). I immediately responded that I did not and (again) would love to reschedule. I heard back about A MONTH later with a random email for me to select a phone interview date and time. I foolishly set one up and the interview was horrible. She was rude and seemed like she only called me because she had to. The interview lasted 15 minutes with her abruptly ending the call and stating I'd receive an email in a few days. I didn't get a chance to ask questions, or to even learn more about the company. Honestly, with how rude she was I didn't want to ask any questions. The next day I received an email that they chose someone else. I wouldn't have accepted the offer based on the horrible interview process anyway!

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, ND

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Brisbane, ND) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview - be confident and clear you will be spending time on phone making bookings so important you come across well.
    Main interview is 6 hours - looking at your knowledge of the industry and how you come across . Be yourself be honest enjoy it. It's mentally exhausting but if you want it enough this should not matter .

Interview Questions

• Give an example of you giving excellent customer service and what was the outcome of this?   Answer Question

Travel Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group.

Interview

Phone interview did not go well. I answered all the questions, gave examples of my previous experience, but they did not call me back. The girl was nice and helpful, but still I felt like she had a list of questions and put "likes" on some of my answers. Be more prepared, phone interview is never easy.

Travel Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

Got an e-mail requesting a phone interveiw. E-mail prompts you to a link. Candidate selects time. E-mail message requests candidate to have resume in hand, and to be prepared to discuss it.

The phone interview process was basic. Questions asked were why am I interested in this position and why do I want to work for the company? Interviewer did not ask questions about resume contents.

First of all, the advertisement was listed for Liberty Travel. Then the online application prompts you to Flight Centre. Afterwards prompts you to fill out an application for a position for Corporate Traveller. Confusing! Next, get an e-mail from an HR rep acknowledging receipt application. Sent reply with concerns - never got a response. A week later received an e-mail requesting phone interview. Selected my time, got an acknowledgement that didn't seem clear (was my appointment for a phone interview confirmed or not???). Sent e-mail to interviewer requesting reconfirmation of phone appointment. Got no response. The day of my phone interview waited for my call only to find out the caller called an alternate number. Hmmm...on my resume there's a number listed, which obiviously was not used. Anyway, after carefully researching the company and after my weird phone interview I don't think I would of accepted the position. Based on my initial experience the company seems unorganized and the organization's culture could be dsyfunctional.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for our company?   1 Answer
    • Why did I leave American Express?   1 Answer

Travel/Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

I received an automated email telling me I was invited to come in for a group interview a few weeks after I submitted an online application. I picked a day out of three choices and submitted my request online. I never spoke to anyone until the day of the interview, on my way to location which they had sent me they day before. A woman called to give me the suite number because it apparently never mentioned in the e-mail. I had looked it up though anyway.

I get there and there are four of us, including me. Two are interviewing for a more management type role and two of us are interviewing for the Entry-Level Sales Consultant/Travel Agent position. First, the recruiter gives us an hour long powerpoint presentation about the job and the company in all it's glory. How great it is to work there, all the perks, this, that and the other thing.

Then she tells us our first task is to partner off talk to each other for 5 minutes and then make a presentation to her of why she should hire the other person.

The next task is sort of like a game. It's a NASA Moon Survival game where we need to rank items in order of importance to take with us on a mission. We then need to compare our answers and ultimately come to a unanimous group decision in which she watches us and basicaly rates our selling/ability to be persuasive skills.

After the second assessment, we are all lead outside and she brings us one by one in to tell us whether or not she wants to move us forward. When I go in, I am told that she would like to move me to next stage in the hiring process and proceed with a background check.

Next morning, 8am, she calls and has someone get on the phone with me for a background check, they ask all sorts of questions. She had initially said she wanted the whole process to be completed in 5-7 days. Then she tells me she's going on vacation so I will hear from someone else in recruitment to continue the process.

A few days later, I play phone tag with another recruiter who ultimately schedules me to go in for an "In-Store Assessment" at the downtown location. An official e-mail schedules it and tells me I'll be there for 2-3 hours.

When I get there, the team leader introduces me to the two other travel agents, and gives some paperwork to fill out, easy questions to answer, although I do have to google some of it - airport codes and vacation spots and what not. Then we go have a private "interview" in a cafe across the hall. It's all generic interview questions, he's not really listening to me at all, he doesn't really care what I have to say, he's just going through the motions, I can tell.

Initially, he told me there would be an assessment at the end, where I would have to "mock sell" him a trip. After our 1:1 interview, however, he concluded my day and told me they would be in touch. He never did the final assessment with me, he must have seen all he had needed to see. He did tell me, however, that I had done very well on my paper quizzes.

I assumed I didn't so well, considering I was there for less than half the time I was supposed to be there.

I received a phone call 12 days later saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy.

Overall, I'd say the interview was process was not overly difficult, just long and they never really got to know me as a person at all. Everything was so automated and distant, how could they really ever tell I was a good candidate or not?

Works out okay though, I wasn't too amped for the job.

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Ramsey, NJ) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process is very in depth. You start with a phone call from the recruiter, then you do a thorough background check and he speak with the background check company on the phone, which is very intimidating. After that, you actually meet with the person you will be reporting to as well as the person that they report to. Then you wait, and wait, and wait.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with Sabre?   1 Answer

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

After applying online I had a telephone interview. The lady I spoke to was lovely. There were no hard questions - and I'm usually awful at interviews. Just be yourself but do yourself a favour and have a look at the Flight Centre webpage. They sell a lot more than flights and holidays, such as holiday insurance, car hire, booking accommodation, arranging tours etc.

I made it through the interview and was sent a link to do an hour long questionnaire. That wasn't fun. You have to chose between words, which one is the least like you and later which is the most like you. Sometimes neither word described me at all and other times both words described me. Go with your first instinct. Towards the end there were some basic maths, which I didn't finish in the allotted time and two other timed sections. One I did finish and the other I didn't.

I made it through to the next stage where I go to Melbourne for a group interview. I have been reading people's helpful tips on Glasshouse. Must admit to being nervous but hopefully I will be successful. It sounds like a really good company to work for and I'm excited to be able to help others realise their holiday dreams or even take the worry out of booking a simple flight - after all - we have our Lowest Airfare Guarantee!!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Travel Consultant with Flight Centre?   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and within 24 hours received an email to set up a time/date for a phone interview. Got the call exactly at the time I chose, the lady was super lovely and friendly. It isn't really an interview it's more of a 'review' of how well you come across over the phone.
    PREPARE NOTES! I can't stress that enough, please be prepared because they will ask what you know about the company, and it will impress them when you show you've done your research. At the end of the call she invited me to group interview day on the Tuesday (call was Friday). I've read that if at the end of the call they say they will ring you back, it's a good indicator you HAVEN'T done well.

They send you an email invite about the group interview which outlines where, when and what to bring. You're also asked to watch 2 Youtube videos to make sure you understand the role and what is expected of you. Included in the email is a link to an online test, which is about an hour long, just covers 2 option (no right or wrong) questions which can get boring and hard at times but just stay concentrated and you'll get through it. You have to complete it before the group interview

On group interview day, arrive at least 10 minutes early, the email says to dress in business attire so DO! Some people showed up in a shirt and jeans, none of them got through. You're asked to bring a passport but don't stress if you don't have one, you won't need it. There was about 20 people there.
    Firstly everyone is sat down at 2 tables in a room and given 10 minutes to get to know each other, there was an awkward silence at first but eventually everyone became friendly. Don't be afraid to speak up and get involved. You have to fill out a page which is basically the same application form you filled out online, asks where you've travelled, referee info, address.

The recruiters then show you some powerpoint presentations about flight centre to give you a better idea about salaries and goals you'll have to meet. This takes about half an hour.
    They ask you to get to know the person sitting next to you, because in 10 minutes you have to let the recruiters know why they should get the job at Flight Centre. The only advice I'd give is try and be professional but fun with your pitch to them, focus more on what they have to bring to Flight Centre rather than where they have travelled. This is probably the most important part of the day, it gives the recruiters a first impression of your sale skills.

After that, you have to do an assessment which is just easy maths and geography questions, prepare your brain for %'s. While everyone is doing the assessment, they take 1 person out of the room at a time and into another to do a 'role play' scenario. Just pretend you actually work at flight centre. Make sure to up-sell everything and let the recruiter (customer) know that you can and will give them the best deal. Push travel insurance and car hire on them! Let them know that insurance is less than $100 which is better than a $100,000 medical evacuation bill.

After the role play/assessment they split everyone into groups, those who made it and those who didn't. Don't underestimate yourself because I have less than a years experience in sales and made it through and there were people there with over 10 years experience and they didn't.
    The 5 of us who were left all sat around a table with the recruiter who asked us simple questions like "What keeps you motivated?" and "Give an example of when you've dealt with conflict".

Was told my referee's would be contacted, and that i'd hear back from them at the end of the week to let me know if I have the job. This was all yesterday so still waiting to see :) Hope this helps!