Flight Centre Travel Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Flight Centre Travel Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2017

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Montvale, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. It started with a basic interview over the phone with an internal recruiter.

Once that was taken care of I was brought in for an on-site interview to speak with the management team regarding the details of the position and to review some of the work I have done in the past. This part of the interview seemed quite simple compared to some of the other interviews I have been on. I was asked some basic UX questions and my opinion regarding apps and UX problems.

I was told they wanted to make a quick decision within the next 5-10 days which worked with my timeline and expectations. This is where things went a bit off of the rails. The short version of the story is that I had to keep following up with the recruiter who wouldn't get me responses for days at a time and then when she did, I was just informed that they were still working on it.

Eventually I got an offer and initially accepted. That happened about 6-8 weeks after the first interview. The offer was less than we had spoken about and I attempted to negotiate but that wasn't an option apparently. I also told them I needed to give my current job 30 days notice because of my involvement there and they tried to strong arm me into starting work in a week. I wasn't happy about any of this.

I ended up getting another, much better offer, 2 days after I accepted the first. Even though it isn't the best situation, I ended up pulling back my acceptance and going with the other offer. My justification here are based on the negative experiences above and the fact that this other offer was actually over what we had discussed which was quite a bit more than what FCTG offered.

When I informed the recruiter as soon as that was set in stone I received no response at all. If this is any indication of how they do business I am very happy with my decision.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of an app that you feel utilizes great UX?   Answer Question

Travel Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Sydney, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

I saw a position for travel consultant on Seek so i applied. The next day i was sent an email saying i made it to the next stage and i had to follow a link to confirm a time for a 5-10 minute phone interview following day. If successful i would then be asked to participate in a group interview the following week.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with Flight Centre?   1 Answer

Wholesale Travel Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was not called at the scheduled time. The call came about 25 minutes later. The phone interview lasted over 20 minutes. I'm an experienced world traveler with a 52 page passport, not the standard. She questioned, how close I lived to LAX. She did state she doesn't know much about LA, since she lives in NJ. If your in the travel industry, shouldn't you know basic information about LA, since it is a popular travel destination? I did question the salary + bonuses. The income potential, not sure if what I was told was accurrate, since it would be wholesale (discounted). Making the yearly income basically at the base pay.

Travel Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

A current employee referred me to the company. I sent my resume and the same day was sent an email for me to select a phone interview day and time. I currently live in Los Angeles and the HR rep is located in New Jersey and I selected my phone interview time to be 7am PST. The day of I waited for the call and did not receive one. I sent an email to the HR rep at 7:20am and stated I would love to reschedule the interview, only to receive a response at 2pm PST which simply stated "I called. Did you not receive my call". (There was and still is absolutely nothing wrong with my phone, she never called). I immediately responded that I did not and (again) would love to reschedule. I heard back about A MONTH later with a random email for me to select a phone interview date and time. I foolishly set one up and the interview was horrible. She was rude and seemed like she only called me because she had to. The interview lasted 15 minutes with her abruptly ending the call and stating I'd receive an email in a few days. I didn't get a chance to ask questions, or to even learn more about the company. Honestly, with how rude she was I didn't want to ask any questions. The next day I received an email that they chose someone else. I wouldn't have accepted the offer based on the horrible interview process anyway!

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, ND

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Brisbane, ND) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview - be confident and clear you will be spending time on phone making bookings so important you come across well.
    Main interview is 6 hours - looking at your knowledge of the industry and how you come across . Be yourself be honest enjoy it. It's mentally exhausting but if you want it enough this should not matter .

Interview Questions

• Give an example of you giving excellent customer service and what was the outcome of this?   Answer Question

Travel Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group.

Interview

Phone interview did not go well. I answered all the questions, gave examples of my previous experience, but they did not call me back. The girl was nice and helpful, but still I felt like she had a list of questions and put "likes" on some of my answers. Be more prepared, phone interview is never easy.

Travel Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

Got an e-mail requesting a phone interveiw. E-mail prompts you to a link. Candidate selects time. E-mail message requests candidate to have resume in hand, and to be prepared to discuss it.

The phone interview process was basic. Questions asked were why am I interested in this position and why do I want to work for the company? Interviewer did not ask questions about resume contents.

First of all, the advertisement was listed for Liberty Travel. Then the online application prompts you to Flight Centre. Afterwards prompts you to fill out an application for a position for Corporate Traveller. Confusing! Next, get an e-mail from an HR rep acknowledging receipt application. Sent reply with concerns - never got a response. A week later received an e-mail requesting phone interview. Selected my time, got an acknowledgement that didn't seem clear (was my appointment for a phone interview confirmed or not???). Sent e-mail to interviewer requesting reconfirmation of phone appointment. Got no response. The day of my phone interview waited for my call only to find out the caller called an alternate number. Hmmm...on my resume there's a number listed, which obiviously was not used. Anyway, after carefully researching the company and after my weird phone interview I don't think I would of accepted the position. Based on my initial experience the company seems unorganized and the organization's culture could be dsyfunctional.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for our company?   1 Answer
    • Why did I leave American Express?   1 Answer

Travel/Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

I received an automated email telling me I was invited to come in for a group interview a few weeks after I submitted an online application. I picked a day out of three choices and submitted my request online. I never spoke to anyone until the day of the interview, on my way to location which they had sent me they day before. A woman called to give me the suite number because it apparently never mentioned in the e-mail. I had looked it up though anyway.

I get there and there are four of us, including me. Two are interviewing for a more management type role and two of us are interviewing for the Entry-Level Sales Consultant/Travel Agent position. First, the recruiter gives us an hour long powerpoint presentation about the job and the company in all it's glory. How great it is to work there, all the perks, this, that and the other thing.

Then she tells us our first task is to partner off talk to each other for 5 minutes and then make a presentation to her of why she should hire the other person.

The next task is sort of like a game. It's a NASA Moon Survival game where we need to rank items in order of importance to take with us on a mission. We then need to compare our answers and ultimately come to a unanimous group decision in which she watches us and basicaly rates our selling/ability to be persuasive skills.

After the second assessment, we are all lead outside and she brings us one by one in to tell us whether or not she wants to move us forward. When I go in, I am told that she would like to move me to next stage in the hiring process and proceed with a background check.

Next morning, 8am, she calls and has someone get on the phone with me for a background check, they ask all sorts of questions. She had initially said she wanted the whole process to be completed in 5-7 days. Then she tells me she's going on vacation so I will hear from someone else in recruitment to continue the process.

A few days later, I play phone tag with another recruiter who ultimately schedules me to go in for an "In-Store Assessment" at the downtown location. An official e-mail schedules it and tells me I'll be there for 2-3 hours.

When I get there, the team leader introduces me to the two other travel agents, and gives some paperwork to fill out, easy questions to answer, although I do have to google some of it - airport codes and vacation spots and what not. Then we go have a private "interview" in a cafe across the hall. It's all generic interview questions, he's not really listening to me at all, he doesn't really care what I have to say, he's just going through the motions, I can tell.

Initially, he told me there would be an assessment at the end, where I would have to "mock sell" him a trip. After our 1:1 interview, however, he concluded my day and told me they would be in touch. He never did the final assessment with me, he must have seen all he had needed to see. He did tell me, however, that I had done very well on my paper quizzes.

I assumed I didn't so well, considering I was there for less than half the time I was supposed to be there.

I received a phone call 12 days later saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy.

Overall, I'd say the interview was process was not overly difficult, just long and they never really got to know me as a person at all. Everything was so automated and distant, how could they really ever tell I was a good candidate or not?

Works out okay though, I wasn't too amped for the job.

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Ramsey, NJ) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process is very in depth. You start with a phone call from the recruiter, then you do a thorough background check and he speak with the background check company on the phone, which is very intimidating. After that, you actually meet with the person you will be reporting to as well as the person that they report to. Then you wait, and wait, and wait.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with Sabre?   1 Answer

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The Process started off with a brief phone Interview with one of the FC recruiters letting me know they had received my application and just wanted to ask me a few questions about my resume, it last about 20mins and then he asked me could re schedule another phone interview for a couple days after where he would be asking me some more questions.

The second phone interview lasted about 40minutes. I was asked a lot of experience related questions. let me tell you if you have found this website you are definitely a steph ahead of the game. My advice is to write down all the questions people have said they have got asked and prepare answers for them, that way you will be ready to answer the recruiter and won't be lost for words. A few of the questions had be a bit stumped and I had to ask the recruiter if he would mind giving me a few moments so I could gather my thoughts and think of a time in my experience to relate the question to. The recruiter was extremely helpful and patient and I felt very at ease on the phone even though I was extremely nervous beforehand. I have wrote the questions below.

After all the questions he then asked if I could do a quick role play over the phone, where he was a customer that had walked into FC and wanted to go somewhere but he wasn't sure where. Make sure you ask them all the necessity questions such as;
    -When are you looking to go?
    -How long are you looking to go?
    -With whom?
    -Where have you travelled before?
    -What are you looking to do on your holiday?
    Make sure you try and end the conversation by booking the holiday or making another appointment to speak with the customer after he has thought about the options.

After the phone Interviews I was then asked to do an online Aptitude Test. There are ten parts to the test. The first seven parts are all personality type and scenario type questions and are untimed. The last three part are timed and be warned are rather tough, at-least I found them tough. Don't be dis-heartened if you don't answer them all within the time. I did awful at this section and still got another interview. Make sure you have a calculator for the arithmetic part and sit somewhere quiet.

I was then sent an e-mail saying I had got through to the final interview which was an 'In the life of a Travel Consultant" Assessment day at the store I would hopefully get the job at. I had a week to prepare and made sure I went over this website throughly and had answers to as many questions as possible, I also tried to brush up on my geography. When I got there, it turned out I was the only candidate that day. I was given a booklet to complete and asked to sit in-between the other Travel Consultants. Everyone was super friendly and even helped with some of the questions when i was stuck and helped to explain about everything and answered my questions about the job. I got geography questions such as Capitals of Germany,Italy, Greece, UK, France, Singapore, China. I was asked where The Pyramids of Giza, Machu Pichu, Mount Fuji and other tourist attractions were. I then had to say where on a map LA, NYC and Vegas were. Main Airline Carriers for USA, Uk and Hong Kong. The rest of the booklet were scenario questions such as write a response to this customers e-mail who wants a travel quote or a couple want to fly from Vancouver to London and then spend a few days in Paris, write down how they get from place to place, what they could sight see in each place and accommodations. I was given two holiday brochures to help me answer the scenario questions. I didn't have to do a Maths assessment. After completing the booklet one of the girls who worked there just ran through some stuff about FC and the job and explained it can be very intense and hard work and a bit of an emotional rollercoaster to begin with but all the hardwork pays off. After that i had a one on one Interview with the Manager. He was extremely friendly and asked me questions that I got in my phone Interview so I felt very prepared. He also ran through some of the benefits of FC and asked if I had any questions then that was the Interview day done. I am now just waiting to see if I got the job. Fingers Crossed and Good Luck to you all.

Interview Questions

• - Can you a explain a time in your career when you went above and beyond for a guest?
      -A time when you have delay with an Irate customer and how did you resolve this?
      -Where have you travelled to?
      -Can you describe one of your favourite travel destinations?
      -Why do you want to work at FC?
      -What does the role of Sales Consultant mean to you?
      -Why should they hire me/What can I bring to FC?
      -What motivates you?
      -Why did you leave your last job?
      -What did you like and dislike from your last job?
      -A time you were persistant with a customer to make a sale?
      -How would you sell a place you had never been to?
      -Have you worked towards a sale goal before?
      -A time you have had to multi-task?
      -If you were behind on a target how would you make it up?
      -A time you have met a tight deadline?
      -A time you showed initiative?
      -If successful where do you see yourself in five years from now?
      -Tell me something interesting about yourself?   Answer Question