Fred Meyer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 12, 2017

2.1

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fred Meyer (Anchorage, AK) in November 2017.

Interview

I came in early and wait about 10 min and the interviewer come and take me to interview. The question were easy. Some question were why do you want to work at Fred Meyer, how will you be 5 years.

Clerk Interview

Interview

simple interview with simple questions anyone should do it, such as where you see yourself in this company etc, or what made you want to work here etc very simple questions

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fred Meyer.

Interview

Very quick interview. The background checks, drug tests, and overall length it took before getting a follow-up call was longer than normal. The interview was first on the phone, then went on to being a one on one interview, and finally a group orientation on what was expected of all employees.

Food Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fred Meyer (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It is a typical interview. You will be asked questions typical of any service industry. You will answer said questions to the best of your ability, and finally, they may make an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions

• How would you help a customer?   1 Answer

Bakery Interview

Anonymous Employee in Battle Ground, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fred Meyer (Battle Ground, WA).

Interview

Short and brief, very informative, and also pretty chill. It was over in a few minutes, other than watching tons of educational videos. The videos were about the company's history and customer service tips.

E-commerce Filler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fred Meyer (Medford, OR) in October 2017.

Interview

I went in for ecommerce filler, was kind of directed toward service deli clerk, I never did food serve. So kind of threw me off, i got no feel for the interview when i left you either know you nailed it or you didn't i had none of those vibes. I called back next day and offered i turned it down since i did not like the shifts that where offered. Part time jobs my belief should not make you have to be available 24-7.

Interview Questions

• How would you make it right for a customer   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Fred Meyer.

Interview

I went to one of their Hiring Events and interviewed by one of the Dept. Manager. It was relax and usual interview questions. Asked about my availability. After 2 weeks, I went for a second interview with the HR Manager. Waited for 15mins, pretty busy that day. Overall experience was very good.

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Place, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Meyer (University Place, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online for the "Fred Meyer Retail Hourly Associate" position and got an email a little over a week later asking for me to call in for a quick phone interview/screening within the next 48 hours.

When I called I was told the two positions that were open. I chose the Produce Clerk and after a quick explanation of the job a quick three question interview took place. Due to lack of preparation and inexperience with talking on the phone I stumbled through the first two questions, but the interviewer was calming and seemed to overlook all my filler words and stumbles. They decided to move me on to the in person interview in two days time and explained where to go and the expectations--business casual attire and arriving 15 minutes before the interview, however I'd suggest going a bit earlier than that as the costumer service desk line can take a fair amount of time (in my case I didn't get checked in until 5 minutes before the scheduled interview time in spite of arriving 15 minutes early as recommended). The whole call lasted about 12 minutes.

The in person interview went a lot better thanks to bring better prepared (thanks Glassdoor!), I managed to keep stumbling and filler words way down. Like the phone interviewer this person (and the other employees I had contact with) was very nice which this being my first in person interview I appreciated greatly. The interview lasted 20 minutes once it began and was pretty standard and casual as far as retail interviews go based off what I've read on Glassdoor. After the questions below were asked I was told more of the duties of produce clerk (like working in a cold room and throwing away bad produce) and of being a Fred Meyer employee (arriving to work on time and working hard) and was asked to agree to them. After that was completed I was told by the interviewer she had some decisions to make and to expect to hear back later that day whether or not I would get a job offer.

It has been a lot longer than that and I haven't heard back either way (my main gripe) so I assume I did not get the job. My advice to others and what I would do if I could do it again is to be extremely clear and concise with answers, in hindsight I feel I wasn't direct enough with a couple of them of them due to not wanting to answer any of them wrong. I now feel simply going with my answers would have shown more initiative while my overall message of eagerness to learn would hopefully make up for answers that may not be exactly what they are looking for. I would also add polish to various other aspects, for example, I forgot to say I look forward to hearing back at the end of the interview.

While I did not get an offer my overall experience coming out of the interview is quite positive, the interview structure they have is great and as it was my first interview it went about as well as I could hope. I learned a lot from it that I can now use in my continued job seeking quest.

Interview Questions

• [Phone] What would you do to help customers as a produce clerk?   Answer Question
    • [Phone] Tell me about an obstacle you faced and how you overcame it?   Answer Question
    • [Phone] Why do you want to work at Fred Meyer?   1 Answer
    • What job experience and hobbies do you have and how will skills from those transfer over to Fred Meyer?   Answer Question
    • A customer asks you about a product that is outside your department, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • How can you tell if a head of lettuce is going bad and what would you do with a bad head of lettuce?   1 Answer
    • What would you bring to Fred Meyer if hired?   Answer Question
    • You are given lots of work at once with a short deadline, how do you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time when you had to work with someone difficult?   Answer Question
    • When is your availability? When can you start?   Answer Question
    • Are there any other departments you would like to work in?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Meyer (Portland, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

I filled out the application, waited for a response. One came , not to my favor though.
    They give others an opportunity to work for them. Even if you left in good standing.

Interview Questions

• What days am I available to work?   1 Answer

Retail Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Meyer.

Interview

It was a pretty relaxed interview, mostly they want to know how you would deal with certain types of customers and situations that arise a lot in retail. They hire almost anyone.

Interview Questions

• If you saw a coworker breaking policy what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you went above and beyond to help a customer.   Answer Question
    • What is your availability?   1 Answer