Guidewire Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Guidewire Interview Questions

Interviews at Guidewire

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

1. Online coding test
    2. On call discussion with HR where you'll discuss about you and HR will give information about the company
    3. On call technical interview
    4. In person technical interview
    5. Final call with HR

Sourcing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire in May 2020.

Interview

I went through one interview with a Talent Acquisition Manager and then 6 interviews with the hiring manager, team members, department head, and the Legal Counsel. Since this all happened during the COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews took place via Zoom. The entire process took 4 weeks. The process has been comprehensive, seamless, engaging and enjoyable. Perfect experience!

Interview Questions

• Provide examples for supplier negotiations.   1 Answer
    • Describe the sourcing process you employed.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

I spoke with a very nice person at the UC Berkeley Career Fair who asked me a technical question and as a reward, gave me a mug and a next round. I then had to pass a coding challenge and after that, set up an interview with the company on-site. However, the company did not provide me with any travel reimbursement despite asking me to make the trip into the office. At the interview, I had to wait in the lobby for a while before the recruiter grabbed me and I then had a technical interview sitting in front of a monitor flanked by two full-time software engineers on either side of the me. The question was not too difficult but one of the interviewers was quite disrespectful and showed his frustration towards the end of the hour.

Education Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guidewire (Chicago, IL) in January 2020.

Interview

The interview process was very extensive. The entire process took about 10 weeks from job application to resolution.

The entire process was not laid out in its entirety initially. I was first told to expect an HR screening interview and then 2 detailed phone interviews, plus a written exercise.

After the interviews, I was then asked to submit writing samples and to return the written exercise I was then sent. After submitting the written work I was asked to sit for another detailed phone interview. After the third interview, I was then asked to travel for an additional round of three more in-person interviews. After those interviews I was then asked to submit another written response.

Interview Questions

• Open-ended questions about marketing and communications topics, plus more detailed topics pertaining to business operations and overall approach.   Answer Question

Cloud Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guidewire (Bedford, MA).

Interview

Process took over two months. Interviewed with several people, about 4-5 people, and went onsite for a formal interview. The recruiter who originally contacted me quit and I was contacted by an entire new recruiter prior to my onsite interview to explain, HR was going through changes. Red flags, when the recruiter couldn’t get his time zones correct and I waited several minutes before I decided to email the recruiter to ask if we should reschedule. We rescheduled and spoke on the phone that same day to discuss the position and next steps. The onsite interviewer was great, I felt we connected. In fact he reminded me of my manager as an IT intern. Finally, after my onsite interview in Bedford, MA office, I sent a thank you email to the recruiter. Literally, no response from the recruiter. Followed up via email and I managed to schedule a follow up phone call with the recruiter. Again, he couldn’t get his time zones correct. I spent several minutes waiting before emailing the recruiter to reschedule for that same day. We spoke on the phone and he asked how the interview went. I explained how I white boarded and was provided a small technical test. This was a entry level role and the department was willing to teach and allow the person to develop as explained by the recruiter and onsite interviewer. As the phone call progresses the recruiter mentions he was meeting with the hiring team that same day. This is a larger company, so the hiring may be slow, wrong ! This recruiter based in California at the HQ gave me the run around for several weeks. Responding via email to my follow up’s twice and even answering my phone call to explain he hadn’t met with the hiring team. Before reaching out to the recruiter each time I allowed one or two weeks to go by. Most recently, he decided to ignore my email. To be honest, after two weeks I expected I didn’t get the job. Please, have the decency to let me know if I didn’t get the job. Why waste my time by lying and prolonging the process. In the end, I’ve had a horrible experience with this company and their hiring process. Very disorganized and unprofessional. I’m perplexed as why the reviews
    are so great because they seem to treat their job candidates wrong. Maybe I was just treated wrong. Personally, wouldn’t recommend.

Interview Questions

• All questions asked pertained mostly to my resume and listed job experience.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

3 weeks after I applied for the BA position, a recruiter named Terry Jordan reached out to me to request for a phone interview. He asked me to provide some availability for next few days. After I provided him the list of my availability, I never heard back from him.
    It was just very unprofessional

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire in August 2019.

Interview

After a very pleasant screening interview, the interview with the hiring manager was more businesslike. I didn't get the impression they cared as much about my background and experience as they did in my ability to define terminology.

Interview Questions

• Describe a database in terms an 8-year-old would understand.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

I declined their offer due to a few issues I saw. After I passed the technical interview, I was informed on how to prepare for the technical conversation round. They made it seem as if I should prepare for more in-depth coding questions. No problem. During the technical conversation it became obvious very quickly that whatever they told me to prepare for wasn’t going to happen and the technical conversation round was going to be a strictly oral interview.

Despite their dysfunction, I was still able to complete the technical conversation round successfully. I also want to mention that they had me hold the conversation via video conference instead of telephone and the interviewer did not speak the best english. This only became a problem when there were connection issues and I was trying to understand what the interviewer was saying. The in-person interview went fine.

The biggest issue I had was just how outdated their technology is. They are currently in the process of migrating to the cloud and I get the sense it is not going well. You will fall behind working at this company and the next company you apply to might not be impressed with your skillset.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire in July 2019.

Interview

After applying online I got 1 online coding challenge followed up by a HR phone screen. A week later a technical phone interview. Overall the process was fine, the recruiter was very helpful but I was very disappointed with the technical phone screen.

Interview Questions

• The coding challenge had SQL questions that needed usage of multiple joins, followed by a simple algorithmic question (Max Word counts in a file)   Answer Question
    • The technical phone screen although easy, it felt like the interviewer came in with prewritten "BuzzWord" solutions and expected me to answer it as per that, and was unwilling to accommodate my explanations.
      I felt this was ridiculous, for questions like Random Forest vs Gradient Boosting, explain ROC curve, Inferential vs Bayesian statistics.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Spoke with recruiter about the role, everything seemed positive, he went ahead and gave me a coding test to solve over the week (Irrelevant to the sales engineering role but I nevertheless went ahead and solved it). I immediately got a positive update saying they loved my coding challenge approach. This was followed by a technical phone screen with 2 engineers(one of the engineers clearly had communication issues, was hard to understand and I felt like he didn't get what I am trying to say a couple of times. The other one was pretty cool/normal to talk to).
    This same engineer with a little weird communication asked what I want in my next role and I mentioned it would be nice to have customer facing responsibilities, giving demos etc(since thats what a sales engineer does). Apparently, this is a sales demo engineering role in which engineers are not facing the customers at all(weird) and are instead only building the demos and demo platform that sales rep use. Nevertheless I mentioned I am fine with that and would like to explore more as the role sounds exciting and company is good. This round also had general technical questions about Java basics, multithreading, data structures , javascript etc (again, pretty irrelevant to a sales consultant's role). There were a couple of puzzles too.

This was followed by a reject, saying "The interviewer felt you wanted to work in a customer facing role". I assured them that as long as I get to support the sales rep and perform demos etc I am happy in that role. The recruiter still said the other interviewers as well as the hiring manager were on board to take me to the next round, because of this 1 person I have been rejected.

Interview Questions

• NDA signed so I won't give out details, Most technical questions were fairly simple: basic knowledge about data structures, algorithms and Java etc. was being tested. Coding challenge was hard.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Asked a couple of questions about design docs, interview over phone and in person, coding challenge, typical industry standard nowadays, nothing much else to really say. It went swimmingly. Could not ask for more or less.