Harbor Freight Tools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harbor Freight Tools Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2018

2.0

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

As an older, more experienced job applicant I had applied for a Sales Associate position with HFT. Within one week I was asked to come in for an interview. When I interview, I am always well groomed, wearing a suit regardless of the position and act in the highest capacity for a prospective candidate. I prepare for the interview by researching the Company, having a list of potential questions to ask the Interviewer, a well thought out "Tell me about yourself" reply, why are you making this employment change, etc.. During the interview, I was informed the position I applied for was only part-time, as they try to promote from within. The Store Manager and I spoke about my experiences, strengths, and hope for a career with HFT. Based on our conversation I was offered a higher paying and more substantial leadership opportunity as a Logistics Senior Associate with the opportunity to transfer to a new store opening soon less than 2 miles from my house. The interview took approximately 1 hour after which he submitted my info for a background check. Due to the District Manager being out of the country for 2 weeks was the hold-up for an offer. In the meantime, the Store Manager and I had several very encouraging phone conversations. I received my offer and within 15 minutes the Store Manager had called to check if I had received the email offer. He exclaimed to me the advancement opportunities were abundant. I will be starting my NEW Career with HFT next week!!!

Interview Questions

• How to handle a dissatisfied customer.   3 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher position and pay.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Dec 29, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We are so glad to have you on the Harbor Freight team, thank you for your interest in HFT and for your patience through the interview process. Welcome to the Team and thank you for sharing your... More

Other Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview

online was a bit of a glitch but the support was awesome and helpful, fast and understanding.

The online app lets you upload a resume but fails to pull information for your app correctly so you end up writing the same thing up to 3 times in different spots I would have preferred a one stop show application

The fact that they use an outside company for things is a little shaky and you end up with multiple logins and passwords and codes

Room for improvement for sure and would definitely prefer and in how solution

Interview Questions

• nothing out of the ordinary went smooth and fast   2 Answers

Negotiation

there was no negotiation unfortunately I would had preferred a few extra cents on my pay :-)

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Calabasas, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews and 3 in-person interviews. It was overkill for the job. Even if I needed to meet with so many people, it could have been done in less time.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience; why are you leaving your current job, what do you know about HFT, have you been to a store, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I requested a higher salary and they came up a little and I came down but I felt I should have earned more money

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Aurora, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

The manager asked me my availability and I was hired. That's it. He asked me what days and hours I was available and if I could work on weekends. I said I could only work evenings and weekends. I could tell he didn't care about the interview. I was to meet with the store manager and got the assistant store manager instead.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Saint Cloud, MN).

Interview

I was asked where I currently work and if I still wanted this job. I think they care more about your background check. I have only had one job interview that was easier, only because I never had to interview, they just hired me.

Interview Questions

• I applied for a specific postilion online, when I went to accept the job, it was not what I applied for.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview

Recruited after an online application submission and had a brief phone interview with the recruiter. A formal interview was then scheduled with the District Manager, after which followed a background check and a drug test. Then a start date was given.

Interview Questions

• None. All were task and customer service related questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No room for negotiation at the time.

Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Danvers, MA) in September 2011.

Interview

Hiring process is all online. Very quick process depending on the hiring manager. One phone interview followed by a personal interview. Standardized interview questions. Must pass background check but it is very vague. No drug screen required. Level of training is dependent on the store management. Computerized training now for standard procedures. Rest is trained by experienced employee or manager. Typical training is a couple days of process training followed by being thrown into it and you sink or swim.

Interview Questions

• Knowing what you now know about this position, why will you be successful?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiating is pointless. Unless you are going for Assistant Store Manager or Store Manager your pay level is set and experience doesnt matter. ASM and SM you have very little room for negotiating; we're talking cents not dollars.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in December 2010.

Interview

Very through via phone interview. Many of the standard questions but many unusual as well quite possibly madr up one the fly. Gave a clear picture of the position and its expectations

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview

I actually didn't apply to harbor Freight I was recruited after listening to all the great opportunities the company provides and huge growth opportunity I decided talk with the store manager that interview was only about 30 minutes covering the the daily duties I would be doing around the store then a second interview with setup with the district manager. This was more in depth asking about how I reacted to certain situations but not too hard if you're skilled in this area. I did take the position and I'm looking forward to helping this company build a profitable store and a customer focus team.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when employee was difficult   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to increase productivity without increasing headcount   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Louisville, KY) in January 2012.

Interview

First interview was with the store manager. This interview lasted about an hour. I was asked to describe my past experience in retail, leadership capability, knowledge of HFT product.
    The second interview was with the store manager and his boss, the district manager. This interview was very centered on company culture and "fit"

Interview Questions

• How have you handled an incident with an employee in the past. How have you handled an issue with a customer   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2012.

Interview

Very good with recruiter hired within two weeks, I took the job, great hours and benefits, all done on computer must have Internet access it was a good experience been working thier for years mid level management is demanding do as told, not what think, must be able to follow directions to a tee!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pretty good salary based on experience