Harbor Freight Tools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harbor Freight Tools Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2018

2.0

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

As an older, more experienced job applicant I had applied for a Sales Associate position with HFT. Within one week I was asked to come in for an interview. When I interview, I am always well groomed, wearing a suit regardless of the position and act in the highest capacity for a prospective candidate. I prepare for the interview by researching the Company, having a list of potential questions to ask the Interviewer, a well thought out "Tell me about yourself" reply, why are you making this employment change, etc.. During the interview, I was informed the position I applied for was only part-time, as they try to promote from within. The Store Manager and I spoke about my experiences, strengths, and hope for a career with HFT. Based on our conversation I was offered a higher paying and more substantial leadership opportunity as a Logistics Senior Associate with the opportunity to transfer to a new store opening soon less than 2 miles from my house. The interview took approximately 1 hour after which he submitted my info for a background check. Due to the District Manager being out of the country for 2 weeks was the hold-up for an offer. In the meantime, the Store Manager and I had several very encouraging phone conversations. I received my offer and within 15 minutes the Store Manager had called to check if I had received the email offer. He exclaimed to me the advancement opportunities were abundant. I will be starting my NEW Career with HFT next week!!!

Interview Questions

• How to handle a dissatisfied customer.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher position and pay.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Dec 29, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We are so glad to have you on the Harbor Freight team, thank you for your interest in HFT and for your patience through the interview process. Welcome to the Team and thank you for sharing your... More

Cashier Interview

Interview

Applied to the ad online and got a call for an interview. Went in for the interview and he asked questions and then said a background would be done and then would go from there.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell a protection plan for a phone to a customer?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indio, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Indio, CA).

Interview

Went down and was interviewed in managers office. Was asked about the gaps in my employment. Was asked a few questions about my experience at another tool store in the area.

Interview Questions

• What have you been doing in the time you weren't working?
      What did you like about working at the Home Depot?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview

I didn't really have an interview. I just went in and we talked about the job duties and pay, etc. I'm assuming it was just that particular manager's style. Others might be more in depth.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Huntington Beach, CA).

Interview

It was fast but thorough. The sales manager was really friendly but I had to ask her about the role a lot more than her possibly explaining it bit by bit. Overall, it was typical interview scenario wih straightforward questions.

Logistics Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Quincy, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Quincy, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

I arrived on time, the dept manager who initially scheduled the interview with me was out sick, so i waited 30 min for another manager from the sales dept to come in and substitute. It was pretty standard and took about 30-45 min. I had 2 interviews back to back, one with a dept manager and the store manager. The interviewer also offered me a position on his team as well as the logistics but I ended up choosing sales.

Interview Questions

• What are some examples of possible product defects or accidents that can occur, that will help you sell the customer a warranty replacement plan?   Answer Question

Logistics Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane Valley, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Spokane Valley, WA).

Interview

I received an email, the interview was quick but efficient. I felt the interviewer was well prepared. Overall a good experience. I think this interview prepared me for other interviews.

Logistics Associate, Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnson City, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Johnson City, TN) in September 2017.

Interview

Online app then called for interview. The store manager told me up front that they don't hire anyone full time. And most hours I'd get would be 10-20 a week. That at 8.25 an hour is nothing. That place is great for a kid in school. And no one is eligible for Benifits until you are manager status

Sales Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Dallas, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Walked to small management room, interviewed with assistant manager vaguely talked to store manager, asked a series of questions to which the answers they wanted to hear were all very basic simple answers.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview

Very straight forward. Asked about my background and experience in tools and equipment but also any retail experience as well as customer service. They do prefer you some background to help with sales of said tools and equipment.

Interview Questions

• How would you change the standard operating procedures for the better?   1 Answer

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Culver City, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Very unprofessional. They called me 20 minutes before my originally scheduled interview because they had to reschedule, which was fine. Then they tell me to go the next day at 10 AM and the manager says he was told 11. The interview itself was easy, no pressure, very friendly, it went well. Then I was told I would hear back by Friday, if not by Monday, then I should call and check in. Didn't hear from them so I called on Monday and the manager wasn't there, they said to call back Wednesday. Called on Wednesday and one of the workers said they were doing call backs later that day. Never heard back from them.