Harbor Freight Tools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harbor Freight Tools Interview Questions

Updated Apr 29, 2017

2.0

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

As an older, more experienced job applicant I had applied for a Sales Associate position with HFT. Within one week I was asked to come in for an interview. When I interview, I am always well groomed, wearing a suit regardless of the position and act in the highest capacity for a prospective candidate. I prepare for the interview by researching the Company, having a list of potential questions to ask the Interviewer, a well thought out "Tell me about yourself" reply, why are you making this employment change, etc.. During the interview, I was informed the position I applied for was only part-time, as they try to promote from within. The Store Manager and I spoke about my experiences, strengths, and hope for a career with HFT. Based on our conversation I was offered a higher paying and more substantial leadership opportunity as a Logistics Senior Associate with the opportunity to transfer to a new store opening soon less than 2 miles from my house. The interview took approximately 1 hour after which he submitted my info for a background check. Due to the District Manager being out of the country for 2 weeks was the hold-up for an offer. In the meantime, the Store Manager and I had several very encouraging phone conversations. I received my offer and within 15 minutes the Store Manager had called to check if I had received the email offer. He exclaimed to me the advancement opportunities were abundant. I will be starting my NEW Career with HFT next week!!!

Interview Questions

• How to handle a dissatisfied customer.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher position and pay.

Dec 29, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We are so glad to have you on the Harbor Freight team, thank you for your interest in HFT and for your patience through the interview process. Welcome to the Team and thank you for sharing your ... More

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Port Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Port Birmingham, AL).

Interview

Quick very generic. DM more interested in cell phone. Was a in and out interview. I actually had more question from the store manager than the DM. Recruiter was awesome.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work on a very thin labor budget.   1 Answer

Supervisor of Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Bend, OR).

Interview

Sought out and called by company then interviewed the next day by field manager. Exceptrd opportunity and sent home to complete background check online. Waited 4 days or so and corporate sent a offer letter by email for me to accept or reject job with compensation and hours offered. After you click accept you get a call from the local management confirming your start date. I started work about 4 days after accepting offer.

Interview Questions

• They disclosed 2 or 3 positions I might qualify for. They asked me which position I was more comfortable doing and to explain what qualified me for those duties.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Logistics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pico Rivera, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Pico Rivera, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was extremely smooth and easy. The manager was very laid back and felt like you were almost speaking with a friend. He is very energetic and friendly. The questions were basic, typical retail questions.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

What you would expect for a sales position. I was had already been working for the company for two years so the process yes was of course a promotional interview. It was short and to the point alot of other employees from this company had applied for this position and it was still very difficult to prepare for.

Interview Questions

• describe your supervisory style   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calabasas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Calabasas, CA).

Interview

I applied via a job board. The recruiter contacted me via the job board's messaging system. When I replied with available times for a phone screen and didn't hear back, I had to follow-up via traditional email to ensure I received a response. It took over a day to get the recruiter to suggest a time (same day). The recruiter also requested to be connected on LinkedIn and I accepted.

After an initial HR phone screen, I was scheduled for a 1:1 phone interview with the position's supervisor. This seemed to go well except I was only given the opportunity to ask a single question of my own before the phone call was ended.

I was invited for an in-person interview at HQ in Calabasas. I read other reviews talking about a day-long interview process but was relieved to find out I was scheduled for only a couple of hours. I was provided with a detailed schedule with the names of those I would meet. I appreciated the detail and organization.

After a quick chat with the recruiter, I was told by my first interviewers that I needed to meet with one other person that wasn't on my itinerary. They asked me if I had a hard stop or if I could stay around a little longer. They mentioned the possibility of coming back after lunch or scheduling a follow-up phone call.

During the 1:1 with the position's supervisor, I noticed that I was given five minutes out of the 30-minute interview slot to ask any questions of my own. I had a few questions to ask but was only able to ask one because the supervisor's answer took up the remaining time. Then, I was quickly ushered out to the next interview.

As I moved to the last scheduled 1:1, the interviewer said there was yet another person I needed to meet. So, there were two additional people I should have been originally scheduled to meet. I'm not sure if this was HR's fault or if one of the interviewers erroneously approved the original schedule. Either way, this reflected poorly on the company and the respect for people's time.

Luckily, I was able to see the two additional people right after my last scheduled interview. So, I ended up staying an additional hour.

At the beginning of my in-person interview, the recruiter said they are pretty quick with feedback. That was true. I heard back the following day that they were going to move forward with other candidates. When delivering this news, the recruiter volunteered a desire to stay in touch in case they have another opening. I knew that was a lie because the recruiter was no longer a connection on LinkedIn.

For what it's worth, don't bother asking for feedback. They will not respond.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with corporate recruiter was followed up with a phone interview with Regional Manager and senior district manager. They did a conference call with me in the evening.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel is the greatest achievement in the last year?   Answer Question

Jan 12, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing feedback, we appreciate your interest in Harbor Freight, please feel free to let us know if there is anything we can do to improve the application/interview process.

Associate - Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barstow, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Barstow, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was an average interview for a position that requires customer interaction, with a review of experiences and qualifications. Be prepared to discuss situations where you had unhappy customers or had to take initiative.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time with an unhappy customer, what was the problem, and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Compensation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calabasas, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Calabasas, CA).

Interview

Solicited by the company. Submitted by resume. Interviewed with department head for over an hour. I did not hear any response and initiated a follow-up to the recruiter. The recruiter, who also is an employee of the company, did not respond. I received no thank you or status of my application. I gave up.

Interview Questions

• How would I set up a variable pay plan for the non-exempt store workers was one question. The remaining questions were elaboration on my experience.   Answer Question

Dec 29, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing feedback concerning your interview process. We believe that applicants, candidates, associates and customers deserve to be treated fairly, reasonably and with respect so I will ... More

Logistics Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Port Richey, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (New Port Richey, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

Ask you pertinent questions and then schedule a background check, ask you about your background information, talk about work history, ask you about your availability, ask you about your knowledge of power tools, ask you about your customer service skills, they make sure you're available on weekends, nights AND holidays

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you for this position over anybody else that's applied for the position?   2 Answers

Jan 12, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We are sorry the interview didn't go like you thought it would and if there is any more feedback you care to share about how we could improve the process we would love to hear. Thank you for sharing ... More

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, LA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Alexandria, LA) in December 2016.

Interview

Met with the store manager, talked about myself, what I needed the job for, and explained I was in college. I said I like to do hard work and do things that require me to stay on my feet and help people. I would assume that being eager and a friendly person helped as well.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect to be paid by the hour?   1 Answer