Harbor Freight Tools Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2020

3.4
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt
Pros
  • "Full time employees earns 188 hours of paid time off in their first year(in 93 reviews)

• "Company prefers to promote from within; You can start as a part time associate and work your way to management in just a year or two(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is out of touch with how the stores work(in 70 reviews)

• "I would like our part time associates to work a minimum of 20 hrs a week(in 62 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work. Hard work equals pay and promotion."

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

One of the best benefit packages in the state of South Carolina.

Cons

Pay for associates low but trending upward.

November 25, 2019Director of People and Culture

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please know that we greatly appreciate your hard work, and we encourage you to reach out to your HR Partner to further discuss your concerns. Thanks for your continued hard work in our Distribution Center, and we look forward to watching you grow with the team!

2. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are so many reasons why I love Harbor Freight. The culture is strong, the company is committed to continuously improving, the benefits are amazing, and I truly feel like I'm making an impact with my work. The people at HFT are some of the best people you'll meet. Everyone is really friendly and genuine. There are so many great projects and initiatives that Harbor Freight consistently works on to strengthen the culture, offer a better work/life balance, and be moving in the right direction to becoming a great place to work. Choosing this company was the best decision I ever made, and I see myself here long-term.

Cons

I don't think this is a con specific to Harbor Freight, as you'll encounter different types of people in any company that have certain personalities that don't always fit with the culture. Most of the time, it's about understanding how to better collaborate with these types of people. Overall, I really love Harbor Freight.

July 10, 2020Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. We are always happy to hear from our hardworking associates! We pride ourselves on being a great place to work with a culture that celebrates collaboration, community, and a work/life balance for all of our associates. We’re glad to have you on the team and appreciate your continued hard work in Calabasas, CA!

3. "Strength in Leadership, Strong Community Partnerships & Consistent Focus on Doing the Right Thing as an Organization"

Current Employee - Senior Engagement Specialist in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many opportunities to feel part of a strong team. The company listens/learns to the voices of the associates cross functionally from the various teams across the organization with true call to action. Strong family feel and great level of happiness in individual teams.

Cons

We do not yet have a company app to download coupons for customers, hope that is something we will have someday soon as retailer as that would be a great opportunity for ease/convenience.

July 1, 2020Director of People and Culture

Thanks for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us. We are always happy to hear from our hardworking associates! We pride ourselves on creating a welcoming environment where our associates have the opportunity to flourish and succeed, and we agree that sets us apart. We want you to know that your feedback is valuable, as we are continuing to evolve and grow as an organization. We’re glad to have you on the team and appreciate all that you do!

4. COVID-19

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people. I've come across numerous people from all different levels of the organization and everybody has been extremely kind, humble, and helpful. The flexibility. Due to COVID-19, we are able to work fully remote. The benefits are great as well!

Cons

There aren't any so far.

July 1, 2020Director of People and Culture

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. At Harbor Freight, we pride ourselves on being a great place to work with a culture that celebrates collaboration, community, and a work/life balance for all of our associates. We’re glad to hear you are enjoying your benefits. Thank you again for all that you do, and we look forward to watching you grow with us!

5. "Great job, people skills heavy"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time

Pros

Great environment, pay is decent, majority of people are nice

Cons

retail job so people skills heavy, coverage can get a bit frustrating

July 1, 2020Director of People and Culture

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We depend on all of our associates to bring value to our hardworking customers and we greatly appreciate all that you do! Thank you for your continued hard work in Escondido, CA!

6. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good hours and easy to learn

Cons

Some shifts are irritating because you cant fo anything but work that day then sleep to get back up early in the morning

July 1, 2020Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please know that we are always working hard to continuously improve as we grow. We encourage you to reach out to your Store Manager to discuss any scheduling concerns. We greatly appreciate your continued hard work in Toledo, OH!

7. "Sales supervisor"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to start a career.

Cons

Scheduling can lead to a bad work life balance.

July 1, 2020Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Harbor Freight is dedicated to continuous improvement as we grow and has reviewed business needs and how they were impacting work/life balance. If you would like to discuss any scheduling concerns, please reach out to your Store Manager. We value our associates, their ideas, suggestions, and becoming a great place to work. Thank you for all that you do at Harbor Freight!

8. "Great opportunities and awesome work environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Porterville, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance and quarterly raises! Really good benefits packages and many opportunities to sprint up the chain. This company has been an amazing blessing and it’s growing FAST! Great place where work doesn’t feel like work. I love this company. And they ACTUALLY value you as an asset to the business from part time associates to management.

Cons

Employee discount could be better

July 1, 2020Director of People and Culture

Thanks for sharing your positive feedback with us. We are always happy to hear from our hardworking associates! We’re glad to hear you are enjoying your benefits and we agree that we value our associates above all else. Thank you for your continued hard work in Porterville, CA!

9. "Good people bad upper management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people working in the stores.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with how the stores work

July 1, 2020Director of People and Culture

First, we want to thank you for your hard work in Asheville, NC and for sharing your feedback with us. Harbor Freight is committed to continuous improvement at all levels, including management. Our goal is to be a great place to work and that means listening to our associates every step of the way. Your feedback helps us do just that. We wish you the best in your future career endeavors.

10. "Great company to work for. Great people to work with."

Current Employee - Senior Logistics Associate in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sales commissions. Moving up quickly

Cons

Associates rotating in and out often because they can't handle the early HRS.

July 1, 2020Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are always happy to hear from our hardworking associates! Thank you for your continued hard work in Savannah, GA!

Found 1538 reviews