Harbor Freight Tools Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt

Pros
  • Company is growing very rapidly so always something new to handle (in 29 reviews)

• Paid time off is available even for part time (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • awful hours not a good work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Sometimes upper management can be indecisive (in 47 reviews)

1. "Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, with great products at a great price. They value and treat their employees like companies did over 25 years ago, by showing appreciation and acknowledge your contributions.

Cons

If you don't like change this is not the company for you.

2. "District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Great people Great growth opportunities, always moving in a positive way . I have worked for over 30 years in retail and by far the best company.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative. As I always say you get out of life what you put into it.

Advice to Management

Only advice I would give is stay true to our roots and the employees in the field that make it happen every day. I know that they do

May 16, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback as you know, Harbor Freight Tools depends on our associate sharing their feedback to ensure we are constantly improving all processes for both associates and our ... More

3. "Unstable schedule & bad pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fort Myers, FL

Pros

The pros of working here were strictly personal. I enjoyed working with the managers I had at the time and some of my fellow employees but its limited to that.

Cons

The short list of cons for this place include the available hours, chances for advancement, and corporate practices.

Advice to Management

Create more stable schedules to improve employee morale and increase base pay to attract a better pool of employees.

5. "Tends to fluctuate in terms of hours from week to week, but is an overall decent place to be employed."

Current Employee - Logistics Associate in Niagara Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Logistics Associate in Niagara Falls, NY

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is one that allows you to feel very comfortable at work. Coworkers are all friendly as far as I've experienced and the overall direction of the company is one that's becoming more customer oriented. Also, it's a workplace that is very good in terms of requesting time off/availability. So, if you love tools and rock music playing all day at work, this may be a place for you.

Cons

For starters, the hours are not very consistent at all unless you are a full-time employee (which would make sense obviously). It'll go from 25 hours to 8 the next. I understand it's a business and sales/day of week/time of year will probably dictate when people most likely will work more or less, but that's a big change in hours considering we all have bills and things to pay for. So, the hours aren't reliable and the pay is minimum. There are definitely better options out there.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be for the hours to be more consistent or honest upfront about how many someone would typically get when being hired. Also, that the replenishment process be improved along with the truck process be more efficient and organized as well.

May 16, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Hello team Niagara Falls, we want to say 'thank you' for all you and the team do to make Harbor Freight Tools a great place to work and shop. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback ... More

6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Harbor Freight is the best employment decision I have ever made. This is truly a company that values it's employees as their #1 asset and works tirelessly to make the company a Great Place to Work! I am truly honored to work for such a Great Owner and Leadeship team.

Cons

I have None at this time!

May 9, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We couldn't agree more, we all work very hard to make Harbor Freight Tools a great place to work and shop and wouldn't have the successes we have had without awesome associates like yourself. Thank ... More

7. "Overall great company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Harbor Freight has a very high rate of upward mobility in the company and compensates very well based on national retail averages. The company is currently growing at an enormous rate opening even more opportunities around the country and in the corporate structure.

Cons

Occasionally there are some IT issues that can cause problems. The company is also privately owned so there is no public data on how much the company is profiting or how well the company is even doing.

Advice to Management

Find a way to utilize your talent more effectively

May 9, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback and we will make sure to get it to the right people/teams. We have worked hard to make sure our associates are compensated well and are rewarded for their hard ... More

8. "Not a Horrible Company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary plus Commission was great ( You have an opportunity to make a lot of money)
    Flexible hours

Cons

Poor communication sometimes
    Training Sucks (Sitting in front of a computer telling you what to do is not for me. It goes through ones ears and out the next)

Advice to Management

Communicate better
    Don't make workers miserable by being mean and rude

Apr 24, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your time with Harbor Freight Tools! We are working very hard to be a better place to work and shop and couldn't do it without our AWESOME associates around the country. We are ... More

9. "Flexible but Demanding"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in North Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in North Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible in working around my life outside Harbor Freight Tools.

Cons

The pressure in the extended service plans and the inside track clubs are carried way too far. An "Associate in Sales" is a fancy way of say "Cashier". Harbor Freight seems to treat there cashier as sale people, but in reality they are just cashiers.

Advice to Management

A cashier is a cashier not a sales person.

May 9, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for all you and the team in North Syracuse do to help make Harbor Freight Tools a great place to work and shop for our customers and associates. We are committed to constantly improving ... More

10. "Decent job... if you get the right shift."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The commission if you are at the register, even though it's small it still adds up. Hours aren't bad either.

Cons

Getting payed so little if you work overnight. I'm not really part of the night crew but I occasionally work overnights to help with pricing and such but I hate it since I end up making so much less than when I work in the daytime.

Advice to Management

I've worked overnights a couple of times and have seen how hard the night crew works. Honestly, I think it's unfair they get payed the same as sales associates, who have a physically easier job, but end up making a lot less since they rarely, if ever, get a chance to be on the registers to try and earn commission. I end up making $1.50-$4 more than they do most of the time.

May 9, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We couldn't agree with you more, our teams, especially the overnight teams work very, very hard to make Harbor Freight Tools a great place to work and shop. We are very thankful for all you and all ... More

"Logistics"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Avondale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Avondale, AZ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managers and coworkers are amazing, I love working with them.

Cons

Even though they say you can move up in the company, it is difficult and the pay is terrible for the responsibilities that you are given.

Advice to Management

Take care of your valued employees or you will continue to have a high turn-over rate. People who work hard for you need to feel appreciated, or they will go where they are.

May 9, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback and please know that we hear what you are saying and are working to improve many, many processes across the company. We greatly appreciate all the hard work you and all of ... More