Hy-Vee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 15, 2017

1.8

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hy-Vee (Sioux Falls, SD).

Interview

First you apply online. Make sure you're actually fully applying with HyVee, as another website tried to redirect me and sign me up for job alerts, etc. It totally looked like it was part of HyVee's process at first. From there, CALL THEM. Unless they really need to fill positions, they're more likely to give an interview to the people that follow up vs calling themselves.

Interview Questions

• Why do want to work at Hy-Vee?
      Did someone recommend you?
      What hours can you work?
      That was really it. I think they get a feel for you quickly.   1 Answer

Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hy-Vee (Independence, MO).

Interview

The interview was easy, go in and talk to the hr lady for 20 minutes and do a drug test and if you pass, then you have orientation a couple days later

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hy-Vee.

Interview

I applied online in March and got an email a few weeks later to set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview went well and the interviewer was very nice. They asked basic questions about customer service and when I was available. They said that I would either be contacted for an in person interview or I would get an email saying that I did not get the position. A few weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I contacted the store and they said they hadn't made a decision yet. I ended up finding something else and never heard back from them either way.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you experienced great customer service   Answer Question
    • Why would you be a good fit for us?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a co-worker or someone you were working with   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hy-Vee (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

applied then got a call from a hr person. went in met with the director of the store. had a nice roughly hour long conversation about what my goals were and if they would align with what the company had to offer.

Bakery Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hy-Vee.

Interview

Applied online and got an interview about a week after the job posting closed. Interview was very casual, didn't feel like an interview. As I was applying for a cake decorator position, the HR manager asked if I had decorated cakes before, what materials I decorated with, and if I had any pictures of cakes I had done in the past (I showed her pictures on my phone). I was then asked to decorate a small cake and write something on it. I got a call a few days later saying I got the position.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience cake decorating?   1 Answer

Online Personal Shopper and Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hy-Vee (Olathe, KS).

Interview

I was contacted three days after I applied despite the fact that it says they view applications right after they close. They then scheduled the interview for the next day and when I came in, she didn't seem to realize I applied for two positions. She only mentioned the delivery driver position and when I asked if she was going to interview me separately she seemed confused and looked at my application. She then mumbled something about finding the right place and went on with the interview. She asked me very personal questions such as my daily routine and neglected to ask me important things such as why I would be qualified for the jobs I applied for. After the interview was over she said she would call me in two days. So I waited two days and never received a call. The next day I called them and she wasn't there so I left a message saying I was still waiting on that call. The next day after that I got an email saying they had found someone else for the delivery driver position. No surprise, there was absolutely no mention of the online shopper job I also applied for and was more qualified for with my own experience in the department. If you're looking for a fast job don't waste your time with hy vee as it seems they are living in their own little world.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hy-Vee (Madison, WI) in February 2017.

Interview

The process started with meeting a recruiter at a career fair. They took my resume and contacted me a week later about an interview. The interview itself was about an hour and was done online. About a week after the interview they gave me a call about an offer.

Interview Questions

• Standard Questions like: "Why do you want to work for Hy Vee?" and "What role do you play in a group?"   Answer Question

Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ankeny, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hy-Vee (Ankeny, IA).

Interview

It was very casual for a part time college job. One on one with a manager. No more than ten very easy questions. Had to do a drug test onsite.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savage, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hy-Vee (Savage, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

I have never been to an interview where no questions were asked. That must be why they hired the people that they did..I have really never worked for a company that did not even screen their employees. I guess that explains it.

Interview Questions

• They didn't even ask any questions...scary.   1 Answer

Checker Interview

Interview

I went in initially applying and interviewing for checker because that's what i had experience in. But when i came in, she gave me a list of positions available and asked which one i would like to choose. Checker was not on there so i mentioned i applied for checker and she said its not available and to choose something else within the same department if I'd like. So i chose courtesy clerk, not being happy because i APPLIED and INTERVIEWED for a checker position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

After a week of working as a courtesy clerk, i befriended a checker who originally applied and interviewed for courtesy clerk but was given a checker position. She had zero experience as a checker and she knew nothing about the register and handling cash. We both eventually went to HR and suggested we switch our positions. HR agreed and we were able to do what we knew.