MathWorks C++ Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MathWorks C++ Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at MathWorks

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MathWorks (Raleigh, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

The first Interview was a telephonic interview, It started out with the interviewer telling me about his team what they do and what are they looking for in an ideal candidate, then he asked me questions from the projects i have on my resume. Then a mix of easy and tricky questions of c++ were asked, the interview lasted an hour.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

C++ Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at MathWorks in September 2015.

Interview

It is a phone interview with a software engineer. First there are some questions on my resume and previous experience. Then there are some basic data structure and C++ questions. At last, the software engineer ask me one tech question and let me just email back the answer within half an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied through online. One week later I received email asking for setting up telephone interview. Interviewer was very friendly, she asked me all about C++ just like the ones posted here and my job experience. After interview I didn't received anything from them, but when I saw online in my career account application status was posted as "Match not ideal at this time ". I did well in interview but not sure why I got rejected

Interview Questions

• Object oriented concepts like about virtual methods and pure virtual and stuff like abstraction. Conflicts in team. inheritance and how did you use it? Pretty much all the questions mentioned here in glass door. Also about any presentations in my graduation   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

One Phone screen and Webex. They asked complete detail of Object Oriented Design. Also asked everything on my resume.

Second round asked simple question to code. Do the basic right, you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Object Oriented design concept.
      virtual, polymorphism, Inheritance   Answer Question

C++ Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

I submitted my resume online. I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled a phone interview. Asked about a difficult project you've encountered, are you a team-player or individual developer. Technique question include C++ concepts and matlab basic operations.

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

The manager contacted me from LinkedIn and wanted to have a chat with me over phone. In that phone conversation he told me about the kind of work his team does, and asked in detail about my recent projects. Before he finished he said he would schedule a technical screening in the following week and asked whether I could show him some code samples. In reply I said I had a link to my code samples in my resume.

In a few hours he emailed me saying he had seen the code samples and thought they wouldn't need that technical screening. Instead he wanted me to come over their office with a short presentation on one of my projects.

After arriving at their premises the manager showed me around before I did my presentation. I was surprised to see so many people turning up and asking interesting questions. The presentation was an hour long, went smooth, and I felt good.

Then one of their team members accompanied me for a lunch interview. I asked a lot of questions about his work and got some valuable feedback. Next I spent about an hour with another team member who I later found out was a manager himself. I started the discussion by asking him about some of his projects, and he went on explaining stuffs on the whiteboard and asked me occasional questions. However, this was more like discussion than interview questions.

After that session I was sent to my manager's room and was surprised to see that he had already arranged for an offer.

All in all, I was asked zero technical questions but had to explain a lot about my previous projects. I guess they were looking for something other than direct technical questions. In particular, they seemed interested in the fact that several of my projects were of the following type: "port an existing large code base from X technology to Y technology", and I think they were looking for something of this kind.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to do X to solve this problem instead of doing Y?   Answer Question

C++ Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MathWorks in July 2018.

Interview

Awkward unprofessional interview.

First a guy contacted me and tried to schedule a time for a short talk. He sent me the wrong job link then fixed it. After that, he sent two wrong invitation emails and finally gave me the right link after 24 hours.

At scheduled time, I talked to him on a noisy skype channel, after he introduced the position I was suddenly asked to answer some basic algorithm problems (e.g. describe A*, heapify). I also had to code on a skype shared screen.

After the first call, another guy wants to give me a "30 min quick chat" in the next morning. I had to send him an email to verify the time zone. He is 15min late and the "30min quick chat" turned out to be a one and half hour code interview on a shared screen via their website. I have to open my IDE to code. He said I should write some test for the code and sent to him, so he can schedule an onsite interview.

The next morning, I cancelled the application on their career website.

Interview Questions

• Calculate the overlap area of two rectangles. The parameter of the function will be asked to change to an inconvient way to solve this problem.   Answer Question

C++ Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online and never received a phone call. Turned out to be they just post positions on their website but they never call anyone. Kinda like fake for immigration purposes. They always hire internally from EDG team.

C++ Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at MathWorks in February 2017.

Interview

It was an hour long interview. No questions on resume. Started directly with C++ questions. The difficulty gradually increased as the interview progressed. Asked a lot about C++ 11 features, Virtual Functions, Abstract Class, Inheritance. Focused mainly on OOP concepts.

C++ Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks in July 2018.

Interview

After applying through a referral for several jobs one of the recruiters contacted me to know more about my background and sent me an C++ related coding assignment. Typical 20 minutes screen after a couple of days. Immediately that day forwarded my resume to a hiring manager of a different team. He called and asked a tricky mathematical question. Since I haven't been in touch with these concepts for several years, was unable to solve. He mocked me saying you must have definitely learned it and moved on to next question saying, "I hope you remember this at least". Some object oriented related questions. Then discussed my solution to coding assignment. Finally a couple of easy data structures and algorithms questions. Rude hiring manager!

Interview Questions

• What are ways to represent/store a graph and how do we decide our option?   Answer Question