Movable Ink Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Movable Ink (New York, NY) in August 2019.

Interview

I had a wonderful interview experience from phone screen to final on-site to offer.

My initial phone screen was a pleasant intro, both of me and the company. Since I was a referral I think it worked in my favor in terms of the proving-I'm-not-crazy and I'm-a-real-person part. The following two interviews were technical – both of these were conducted over the phone via coding sandbox with the Director of the department. It was of course terrifying, but he was a gracious interviewer and quickly put me at ease. The final stage was an in-person interview in the New York offices. I got a super helpful email with confirmation of dates, times, locations and instructions and even got a schedule of who I was meeting and when so I could adequately prepare. I was greeted warmly, offered water and never left alone or forgotten. Everyone I met with was at the Senior level or higher, which, while being a bit intimidating also made me feel valued and like they were taking me seriously. This final stage interview was 90% behavioral and 10% technical (building on the project from the previous interview with more engineers present). In total, it took almost 3 hours and I met with 5 people.

I had heard such horror stories of technical interviews, white-boarding, algorithms, etc. at other companies, but I found the technical parts of my interview extremely reasonable, unpretentious and true to the every day work. What I loved most about their interview process was the genuine interest in me as a person and a seeing if I was a good "cultural fit". The effort that they seemed to put into my candidacy went a long way for me and every one of my interactions/correspondences was a factor in my ultimate decision to enthusiastically accept an offer from Movable Ink.

Interview Questions

• JavaScript, DOM Manipulation, under-the-hood of methods, etc? Challenges   Answer Question

Mar 31, 2020 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Hi! We're so glad you had a positive interviewing experience and decided to join our Solutions team!

Client Experience Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Movable Ink.

Interview

Thoughtful and efficient interview process. Moves quickly and you can tell there is a very specific reason you're speaking to each stakeholder on the hiring panel. They also coordinate the questions so you're not having the same conversation over and over.

Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Movable Ink (San Francisco, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

A miserable and disorganized slog that lasted well over a month. 3 Calls and two on-sites. The company is headquartered in New York so I was confused when I was asked to come for my first on-site only to spend most of the time in a conference room speaking with folks on a television screen. Movable is one of those companies that asks you to demo their platform, which is so complicated that it requires an hour-long training session followed, two pages of instructions, and more than 20 hrs of self-study.

Interview Questions

• You should know how to program in HTML, CSS, and Javascript. More specifically you should be able to fully interact with an API including the parsing of JSON objects.   Answer Question

Mar 31, 2020 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback! While we certainly understand that our interviewing process is thorough, we've used the process that you went through to successfully hire our team of 7+ Solutions Consultants internationally, both internally and externally. We know this is a robust product and it sounds like you were over prepared with resources! We try our best to ensure our candidates are fully prepared and comfortable with the content, especially for those who are presenting on our own product. Again, thank you for your insight and we wish you the best in your job search!

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Movable Ink (New York, NY) in September 2019.

Interview

The recruiter for the position was extremely lazy and unprofessional. She emails me an hour before the interview is scheduled to take place and asks to reschedule it for another day. Then when she does the phone interview she asks no questions. She has no business working at this company and being in charge of the hiring process. For someone that has worked there for 2 years that is extremely disappointing and time-wasting.

Interview Questions

Movable Ink Response

Oct 24, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Hi! Thanks for your feedback. We take even initial screening very seriously and appreciate the time you took to tell us about your experience. We run these calls different than most companies in that we let the candidate drive by telling us about their background and what they are really targeting in their search to ensure that the available position here at Movable Ink is a match. Usually, this information gives us what we need to determine if we're going to move forward and we encourage candidates to be vocal and even over-explain on these calls. We also encourage you to consider that in a fast-paced startup environment, schedules tend to change very quickly and we very much appreciate any and all flexibility that we like to extend to candidates.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Movable Ink (New York, NY) in June 2019.

Interview

Worked closely with the recruiter who walked me through all the steps and communicated clearly what the expectations from the hiring manager was. There was no rush/pressure from either side. Was a very organized and efficient process.

Interview Questions

• A phone screening, a thorough take home exercise, and then an in person round of interviews (pairing exercise, and a system design interview).   Answer Question

Oct 24, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Hi! Thanks so much for your feedback. We're glad you had a positive experience and we're even more glad that you've joined us! Looking forward to continuing to work together.

Senior Technical Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Movable Ink (New York, NY) in February 2019.

Interview

The interview process was the best of every company I was interviewing with which was a huge reason I accepted the position. I was interviewing with companies large and small, including Amazon, and other startups that are flashy. I was so surprised to see negative reviews about interviewing here until I realized that they had a team that was incompetent and is no longer there. The people are incredible, human, and compassionate in every conversation. The CEO even stopped by my interview room to introduce himself. I'm so happy my recruiter reached out to me about Movable Ink.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Interview

It was very pleasant and straightforward. It was quite simple in my opinion and it seems like a great place to work. I should have done better but the questions were very fair.

Interview Questions

• Various JavaScript questions about syntax and different coding practice.   Answer Question

Mar 31, 2020 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to interview with us. We appreciate your objective feedback and are glad that you had a pleasant experience. Should you want to reapply in the future, we'd love to have another conversation.

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Movable Ink (New York, NY) in January 2019.

Interview

Initial phone screen with HR recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, in-person interview, presentation

Manager was unprofessional and intentionally tried to challenge answers to her questions, very probing and confrontational - maybe was trying to filter out weaker candidates but overall was abrasive and cold.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a challenge you faced and how you over-came it   Answer Question

May 28, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for your feedback! We take interviewing very seriously and train our managers on the best ways to understand a candidate’s background as it relates to the outcomes of a particular position. Our final presentation is designed to represent the challenges sales people tend to face with prospects during a sales process; probing questions from a prospect are a common occurrence in the day to day function of our BDR position. We escalated this to our hiring teams and assure you that these questions asked were part of our standard process. We apologize if this came off as abrasive and will certainly take this in to account with future mock pitches. We wish you the absolute best in your job search!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Movable Ink (New York, NY) in December 2018.

Interview

Had a phone screen with the recruiter that I thought went well. I expressed that I was interested in a couple of different roles and to help me consider which role would be the most appropriate.

Unfortunately, after the initial phone screen, I never got a response back. Then I get an email from the recruiter out of the blue two and a half months later saying they will not be moving ahead with me for the role I formally applied for, but would be willing to move forward with a different role… the role that I said I was also interested in during the first phone screen!

I don’t think it’s a good sign that the recruiter does not seem to be on top of things.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Movable Ink (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

The interview process was straight-forward and standard. The recruiter I worked with canceled the phone screen 5 minutes after the interview--which I thought was fine because life happens--but online reviews say that this company is known for doing that.