NIH Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NIH Interview Questions

Interviews at NIH

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIH.

Interview

The hiring and interview process went very quickly and it was extremely professional, while also being laid back and friendly. I had 3 people interview me at the same time. My interviewers was courteous and open to answering all my questions. They also offered great feedback, as well.

Internship Interview

Interview

I received an email to schedule an interview. I went into their lab where the group interview was conducted. It was a non-formal conversation between me and the group that worked there. They asked me about my resume, my plans after graduation, my availability to work during the semester, and if I had applied to other internships.

Interview Questions

• Do you plan to go into a medical field after graduating?   Answer Question

Interview

Briefly introduce yourself, including your career/professional development and your research interests,
    thereafter devote the major part of your short talk to explaining the research that you want to pursue at the institution at which you are applying.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Durham, NC) in April 2020.

Interview

I contacted the PI directly with my application. Got a phone interview with the PI within a week. Moved to the second round of interview with a 45 min presentation to the group and talked with other members one by one. Asked for reference letters afterwards. Due to the COVID-19, I didn't have an onsite interview, so I cannot go and look around the whole institute's working space and the surrounding environment.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at NIH.

Interview

The interview was intense. I met with over 10 different faculty within a single day and spoke with all of them about their different roles. It was a bit intimidating and exhausting. Some interviewers were friendlier than others.

Interview Questions

• Gaps in employment <30 days, about the research I did, any questions I had   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

The interview process was very laid back and consisted of meeting with the lab PI and answering some questions he had. I then toured the lab and got to meet other lab members

Postbac Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIH.

Interview

Uploaded my application materials to postbac research portal. I was contacted by various labs via email and phone within a few weeks. I was interviewed by phone or skype by staff clinicians, staff scientists or PI for 2 different labs. I got offered 2 lab positions. Interview type and style are lab/PI dependent and not universal across NIH.

Visiting Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NIH.

Interview

Day long talk with supervisor
    Morning presentation followed by interview with many people in the campus.
    Was told to explain a complex research article
    Tough nut to crack. It was a pleasant experience
    Discussion with all members of the team.

Interview Questions

• What do you understand from this figure   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at NIH.

Interview

Talked to a PI over the phone and then had an in person interview with PI. Discussed passed work experience, what the project would be, who I would be working with, etc.

Interview Questions

• Past experience?
      Have you worked in a wet lab?
      Have you interacted on a team before?   Answer Question

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Washington, DC) in April 2019.

Interview

not too hard, asked about experiences, talked with lab members, had a couples problems they wanted to run through with me, very nice and got back as soon as possible.

Interview Questions

• What research experience have you had?
      Why do you want to join this lab?   Answer Question