NIH Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

Sent an email to the PI. He met me the following week. We met at the NIH. I think it was helpful that I was already there. Otherwise, they usually conduct either a Skype or a phone interview. Some PIs will fly you in and interview in person.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be in this lab? What are your future plans?   Answer Question

Outreach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by two people
    - Went over the job description and potential intern duties
    - Asked questions on my resume (past jobs, any study abroad experience)
    - Asked about GPA
    - Asked me standard interview questions

Interview Questions

• Q: What are your strengths?
      Q: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in April 2018.

Interview

First, a 30 minute phone interview. Second, a face-to-face interview. They asked several technical questions and were very engaging. They really wanted to know if the interviewee was a good fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD) in September 2009.

Interview

I applied to the posting via USA Jobs. The questions on the application are fairly standard and designed to eliminate candidates that do not meet certification requirements. Approximately 2 weeks after the posting closing date, I was called for a scheduled interview. The interview was on site (NIAID) and consisted of two individuals asking me questions during the one interview. The experience was different for me because they had a formulated set list of questions which they followed. Literally, I could see them read the question from a paper, they would ask the question, and then they would write my response. My overall impression was that my answers/conduct in the interview were good, but that the interviewers seemed to be going through the motions from the start. I was not offered the position and I found out that they selected a candidate that was internal. To be honest it felt like I was a victim of formality and the job was never really up for grabs.

Interview Questions

• If you won $100 million, what would you do with the money?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was held at their office with Rockville. I was entered by two individuals who were the branch head for their perspective divisions. We sat in an office in a formal setting and I was asked rough 10 -12 questions. This questions themselves were not the standard interview questions but more informal about my experience, my skills, and what to expect. It was rather easy from my experience

Interview Questions

• Tell us about what you know about NIH
      Explain your experience with Contract administration   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied on USAjobs.gov, and was contacted approximately 2 months later via e-mail. The interview took about an hour, and was very specific concerning the job title. Questions were not "typical" interview questions, but tailored to previous experience in contracting. The interviewer described the position in detail, and I felt that he spoke more than I did during the interview. I was required to submit a writing sample beforehand.

Interview Questions

• I was given a spreadsheet of costs and asked specific questions pertaining to the spreadsheet.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online in December 2015 and was contacted in March 2016. I had a panel interview with 5 Managers/HR Specialist. There was a mixture of behavioral and situational questions. 1 week after the interview, I was made an offer.

Interview Questions

• How are you with managing multiple tasks? Tell me a time when you had to work with a difficult manager or staff member, how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary based on GS scale

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by two people who worked in the department I was applying for (Computer Science). They were generally pretty friendly and the interview was not too difficult. They asked me to describe some of my classes and some projects I had worked on. They also asked me to walk through my problem solving process.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a problem where you have to search for common words in a long document in order to extract a brief summary?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2015.

Interview

It was non standard to say the least, the person in charge of me when I was eventually hired called me on the phone and simply asked if I had worked with computers before and then told me he would see if he could find someone who needed an intern.

Interview Questions

• "Have you worked with computers before?"   1 Answer

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview was very brief and a bit unfocused. The director was not able to describe specific job tasks. The future direction of the position, which was newly formed due to division expansion, was not given. The interviewer could not give desirable expected skills and expertise. It seemed that a candidate had already been chosen, and that the interview was being done simply to fulfill an EOE requirement.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in October 2009.

Interview

Phone Interview, set of problems, 1:1 interview. The phone interview had questions about basic knowledge and 1:1 had more analytical as well as design problem. the set of coding problems were in javascript,

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not bad