National Instruments Applications Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Instruments Applications Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

3.3

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Campus interview. Submit resume during the career fair. Get contacted for campus interview in two weeks.Then, interviewed with different engineers and questions are varied type from HW to SW.

Interview Questions

• Ask questions ranging from resume projects to basic circuit design MOS, embedded system, memory, computer architecture, interrupt design, state diagram, and Java coding.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

The interview involved two part process. First part was technical, which tested for IQ and math questions. Second part was personality, which tested the candidate if he or she had the leadership and sales potential.

Interview Questions

• A candle takes 1 hour to burn down. How would you measure 15 minutes if you had 2 candles?   2 Answers

Applications Engineer Interview

Interview

Apply on portal at National Instruments website with Resume (offline hiring). Followed by two rounds of interview, one technical and another HR round. In case of on campus hiring, a technical and aptitude test followed by GD and two interview rounds.

Interview Questions

• A difficult question from HR regarding whether or not will you join the company after internship   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, first one was on campus and short. Technical and behavioral questions. The second round was a full day of interviews including a technical interview, behavioral interview, marketing interview, sales interview (or you could choose R&D instead of marketing or sales), and 10 minute technical presentation. The technical interview for the second round was harder than the first round.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember specific questions. The behavioral ones can sometimes be tough so think of stories that can be applied to these types of questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

On-site was a very full day. Many interviews with different leaders in the organization from behavioral to technical. One hardware and one software technical problem. The day ends with you giving a presentation on a technical subject. It wasn't so bad, but by the end of the day you're pretty beat. You get a little bit of time to relax before they provide dinner at a restaurant in town. Everyone gets a host they can talk too. I thought the process was well planned and executed.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond for someone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

Day long interview process including several one on one interviews, a technical interview, and giving a presentation.

Interview Questions

• Name one time you failed. What were the results of the failure and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Seemed like a good company but salary offer was low for the field.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

I had never heard of NI before I attended a college career fair. They had a large booth of recruiters and multiple career path opportunities. I chose to pursue their Engineering Leadership Program because it seems to be a great fit for both my engineering and management aspirations. NI did a great job of selling their company at the career fair. I had a 1 on 1 interview at the career fair and was invited for a second interview and company visit about 2 weeks later. The invitation was for both my wife and I to come to Austin for further interviews and a better introduction to the company. I was able to choose between 7 different weeks to come. Because they required a 10 minute technical presentation I chose a date that allowed me a little time to prepare.

We flew into Austin on a Thursday and had interviews all day Friday. I was more than impressed with the company. Everything they had said about their culture was true. Our candidate group for ELP was a little large but they said on average there are about 8 - 12 candidates per group. The ELP floor was a great atmosphere to be in. Very young and very hip. While I have never interviewed at Google I would have to guess that the work environment at NI is similar to the stories that I hear about Google.

The day started by sitting with the Company CEO (Dr. T) and listening to him give a 45 minute presentation about the history of the company. The day consisted of 5 1:1 interviews and one 10 minute technical presentation. The presentations were given by groups of two candidates to about 5 other employees. I thought it was interesting that they had existing employees do all of the interviews. In general any employee that interviewed you did not interview any other candidates. I guess they all get together afterward and kind of have a draft pick.

The technical interview was fairly easy. They try to give you a question that you cannot give a textbook answer to. One that you will have to work through so that they can watch your thought processes. The only trying interview was the behavioral one.

They assigned me a host employee who walked me through the entire process. They took the entire group to dinner on Friday and Saturday night. We flew out Sunday morning. All in all it was a great interview. They put us in a wonderful hotel, gave us a rental car, great food, great introduction to many employees, great introduction to Austin, great introduction to other candidates, great service. They say they will get back to me in 2 - 4 weeks. I expect that they will give an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to make a difficult choice which could have led to negative consequences?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

First, there was an interview on campus with a sales representative. Then, an all-day interview took place in Austin, TX at their headquarters, consisting of five 1:1 interviews and one 10-minute technical presentation. The presentation was given to 2-3 NI employees and 3-4 other competing candidates. The experience was enjoyable and the interviews were not stressful. They flew me out for the entire weekend, put me up in a really nice hotel for 3 nights, assigned to me a host who showed me around the whole weekend, took everyone to downtown Austin, went bar-hopping, and out to dinner.

Interview Questions

• Technical question: About transistors   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in August 2008.

Interview

Behavioral/Technical on-campus, Behavioral/Technical on-site (NI). One historical interview (they just get your salary expectations). A technical presentation. It was a long day, but the difficulty was not that high.

Interview Questions

• Creating a hardware quadrature encoder.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very little negotiations. I had a Master's so I got them to bump the pay a mere $1k. They have a number in mind and you are not going to get much higher.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2017.

Interview

technical round which contains two papers one is subjective and the other one is objective
    objective consists of technical as well as aptitude section. both were of average difficulty level.
    Subjective question paper was more difficult.But selection was based on weighted average of the two sections

Interview Questions

• subjective question- draw automatic toll system which take input on the basis of weight of the vehicle   Answer Question