New York Times Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at New York Times

2.9

Photo Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

It was quite involved. I interviewed with four different people from different departments over a few weeks, and took a news test on current and historical events. There were some coding questions as well. That was followed by a tryout.

Interview Questions

• What area of the website needs improvement?   2 Answers

Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Times (Norfolk, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

Sent resume was contacted by news director after a phone conversation was flown in for an interview. given offer a week later. spent the day in the newsroom meeting the staff and watching them put a news cast together. flew home the next day
    over all interview experience was positive

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a journalist   2 Answers

Javascript Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

I received a curt email from the NYT recruiter asking for availability for a phone interview. The technical interviewer was late to the call, and preceded every question with some variation of "Sorry, I'm in a rush," and often interjected my answers with "that's enough".

All questions were either about documentation semantics for Backbone/Angular (really?), or relatively easy, but nuanced, questions about web development in general (CORS, scope in Javascript) that require more than a sentence to answer. However, like I mentioned earlier—I kept getting cut off when going into detail—so I assume that the interviewer didn't understand many of the questions and was reading from a list that a more experienced JS developer wrote.

Interview Questions

• Q: What happens when typing a URL into a web browser?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Initial contact was a cold email from the Times' HR Department. After a phone screen with the tech lead on the Mobile Web team, I was invited a couple days later to interview in NYC. I was in DC at the time, and never was reimbursed for the travel costs. The in-person interview was a series of 5 people - a tech lead, asking to refactor some code that was written in an in-house language, an interview with a software engineer, talking about technology and development in general, an interview with a fantastic dev that turned into him convincing me to come to the Times, an interview with the project lead, and an interview with the project director. I was given an offer Friday that week, and given until Monday to accept. I accepted on that Monday.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Times?   3 Answers

Negotiation

While negotiation was not offered, putting an aggressively high Expected Salary seemed to anchor the offer at higher than I would have gotten with a straight raise + cola.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times in May 2015.

Interview

Applied via email to HR. I got contacted about a week later to schedule a phone interview with one of the managers. The person I was emailing back and forth with had terrible grammar. I mean it was laughable at how bad it was. And that is saying a lot because the NY Times is a newspaper company so you would think the people in HR who have to communicate a lot would speak decent English.

The phone interview didn't have any technical questions but the interviewer did ask if I have worked with certain languages/technologies. He honestly seemed very uninterested in the interview and it seemed like he didn't care about it. I waited for a response for about a week and got none so I decided to email HR and ask about my status. No response. So I wait another few days and send another email to HR. They reply telling me I didn't get the job. The interview process left a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not sure if I would consider to work there again...

Interview Questions

• What experiences do you have with databases? Have you worked on mobile apps before? Have you lived in or visited NY before?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times in July 2017.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview with a recruiter--pretty standard questions about expectations and what they're looking for, etc. Then, was given a take-home assignment. It was very open-ended and vague (probably intentional). I submitted the take-home assignment and received a canned rejection email several days later. I didn't ask for feedback and they didn't provide any, but I'm assuming they could tell from the assignment that my skills were too junior for the role.

Interview Questions

• Make a web app that matches keywords   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via Linkedin and was contacted by a recruiter who setup a phone round with the hiring team. The phone round was a discussion about my projects and a few easy questions based on my work experience. Then I was invited to an onsite interview at the New York times office. I was interested in meeting the team and the onsite round was overall a good experience. Nothing asked was particularly too difficult, mostly database schema related questions and was asked just one algorithm question. The onsite interview was scheduled for 3 hours and was pretty straightforward and a few questions from interviewers overlapped and felt a little disorganized.

After the onsite, there was a take home coding test with vague specifications. I was given a JSON related question and was rejected based on the coding test. The feedback felt a highly nit picked and was contradictory to the assumptions stated in the question. This was a complete waste of my time . I already had another offer in hand and attended the interview because I committed to the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• One algorithm question based on comparing two sorted lists.
      Take home test based related to comparing JSON data from two files.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Referred by a friend. I had several phone interviews with different managers and groups. After that, I did a take home coding test that took about 4-6 hours. Was flown in for a series of about five short interviews on-site. I was offered a position a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Shown some example code, asked what it does. Asked about my working style, what types of ticket tracking systems I've used, if I knew Agile.   3 Answers

Negotiation

They called me with an acceptable offer a few days after my interview. It included a small signing bonus to cover moving expenses. I didn't negotiate because the offer was acceptable.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Times in November 2017.

Interview

first is a phone screen with recruiter, then technical screen with manager, then a coding challenge, and then onsite. The phone screens were easy, the coding challenge was time consuming, and the onsite was easy. I was expecting whiteboarding but they only asked more technical questions.

Interview Questions

• build a website using one of their APIs   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

absolutely terrible. 10 min call with recruiter then a programming assignment that i nailed. never got back to me for about 2 weeks, i emailed and got rejected. rejecting someone over a programming assign that works is not good hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Write a working command line tool in Java that takes the names of two JSON files as parameters and compares them.

The structure of the files are assumed to be like the examples. Specifically, the files represent search results. Under response.docs there is an array of individual results, and for each of those results we want to know if they are the same in the two files, and if not, which fields are different.   Answer Question