New York Times Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 9, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via Linkedin and was contacted by a recruiter who setup a phone round with the hiring team. The phone round was a discussion about my projects and a few easy questions based on my work experience. Then I was invited to an onsite interview at the New York times office. I was interested in meeting the team and the onsite round was overall a good experience. Nothing asked was particularly too difficult, mostly database schema related questions and was asked just one algorithm question. The onsite interview was scheduled for 3 hours and was pretty straightforward and a few questions from interviewers overlapped and felt a little disorganized.

After the onsite, there was a take home coding test with vague specifications. I was given a JSON related question and was rejected based on the coding test. The feedback felt a highly nit picked and was contradictory to the assumptions stated in the question. This was a complete waste of my time . I already had another offer in hand and attended the interview because I committed to the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• One algorithm question based on comparing two sorted lists.
      Take home test based related to comparing JSON data from two files.   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

3 part video/phone interview with HR representatives helping you along the way. Questions on your technical experiences but mostly an evaluation if you're fit for their company/department. Depending on the department, your interview would be all online (as in my case) or at the office.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a technical project you're most proud of.   Answer Question

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

This was one of the worst interview experiences of my career. The overall process by HR/recruitment was well organized and appreciated. The first 3 people to interview me were polite and professional and as expected. The last woman to interview me was late to the meeting room, followed by abrasive behavior thereafter that would have made anyone feel uncomfortable. Interviews are meant to be tough to some degree, but this seemed like a power trip. The most inappropriate question asked was "Do you have children?" and when i responded "No" it was meant with the unthinkable response "Good, so you can travel". I was beyond shocked not to mention disappointed. I was in the mindset that I was interviewing at one of the most forward thinking and intelligent establishments in the country and never expected such an inapprotiate experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

I was asked to call a recruiter who could not have sounded less interested to speak with me. She was unable answer basic questions I had about the role and seemed like she was in a hurry to get me off the phone. Definitely one of the most unprofessional "recruiters" I've ebcountered in my career.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Times in March 2017.

Interview

Completely Unprofessional!!!

HR recruiter contacted via email, set up phone call screening. Had the call while she was on her way to work. Wasn't paying attention to what I was saying, evident by asking me the same question twice. Lasted a total of 5 minutes.

Recruiting Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

I applied, they reached out to me to schedule an interview. I provided my availability and I never heard back. I followed up and also never heard back. Really poor candidate experience AND not a good indicator of the health of their recruiting function.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Started with HR rep call. Was straight forward and she was super easy to talk to. Was invited to meet with the Finance team. Also a straight forward interview. One curve ball question just because of the way the conversation was flowing. If you're genuine about your interest in working there and know how to articulate your experience, you'll be fine. Then met VP and other exec. Was a really fun interview. We laughed the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Time.
      Questions about day-to-day tasks at current job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied the position in January and one editor contacted me in early February for an on-site interview at NYT Headquarters. Met one editor and one HR manager at the same time. The interview is pretty productive. It's a little bit different than the interviews I had before. They both didn't ask me too many questions. Instead, it's more like a conversation. They gave me more details about the position and I responded with my experience. The interview lasted 45 mins. At the end of the interview, the editor asked me when I can start, I replied ASAP, and he told me it's great because that they need someone can start immediately. I asked him if it is okay I contacted him if any further questions arise, he said "of course, you have my email. Email me if you have any questions."

Everything seems so nice. However, I heard no response after two weeks. So I sent a follow up email to check the hiring status, followed by no response. After another one week waiting, I sent second email since I need make my decision about another job offer soon. Have waited three days, but still no response.
    I know employers all try to be nice during the interview. But please do not promise interviewees some promises you can't keep.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Ten minute phone call with recruiter. Interview with a key colleague (45 mins). Interview with three other people the next week (30 mins each). Major props to the marketing team and the recruiter for the hiring process. I was impressed with how well-managed, efficient and straightforward it was. It was an A+ all around.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your background as it pertains to the role   Answer Question

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The process moved very fast, I had a phone interview on a Friday, that ended with "lets set up the time for you to come into the office next week for a face to face." After the waiting for an email and not getting one, I reached out on Monday afternoon to follow up for next steps. I received the oddest email ever and contained this statement, "...we don't think he is the right fit for the role. His experience working in a large enterprise environments with no start-up experience really were not the right mix of experience we need."

I didn't know that the NYT was a 165 year old start-up? Anyway, Good Luck to the person that got hired at the NYT Start-up.

Interview Questions

• How many teams have you managed concurrently and what was the total number of employees and consultants?   Answer Question