Pearson Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 1, 2017

3.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (Denver, CO) in July 2016.

Interview

Terrible experience. They tell you that they are looking for a senior position, but once you get to the interview they say you are not qualified for it. (Not just my experience, a friend had the same and he took the job anyway)

Phone screen was a bunch of text book questions and definitions. (Ex: What is a Class/Object?)

The in-person interview lasted for 2 hours with 3 different panels.
First round: 2 Sr. developers gave 3 coding/white board questions
Second round: 2 developers wanted to know my background and my experience. (They were nice and did their job well)
Third round: 2 Managers joined. A couple of behavioral questions.

More on First round: I solved all the 3 coding questions within the given time. I did solve one question very quickly using Java 8 (Lambdas and Streams). The interviewer had no clue about Java 8 and asked me to explain it and also write in older versions of Java, which I did. Ironically, one of the job descriptions was "Java 8". One interviewer was looking into his laptop while the other one was on phone while I was trying to interact with them. They declined the offer saying that my solutions were too complex than needed. (If the interviewer doesn't understand Java 8, whose fault is that)

Anyway, terrible interview process.

Suggestion for the management.
- Please invite people you think are appropriate for the job role. (You can't scale down the job level during the interview process. People wouldn't even want to waste their time to go through this process if they knew ahead that they are NOT interviewing for the position they applied for!!)
- Please make sure that the interviewers are interested and qualified enough in interviewing the candidate.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Pearson

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pearson in July 2014.

Interview

First step involved email communication with recruiter setting up the interview, Second step involved the Dev Manager interviewed via Hangout, then 2nd step involved tech interview (in person) with the team

Interview Questions

• Rest questions + write a small algorithm + some theory questions + some testing questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (Iowa City, IA) in October 2010.

Interview

Since I was a contractor so the hiring process was a little exceptional for me so I didn't have to go through so many rounds of interviews. HR people were great

Interview Questions

Negotiation

was just in 2 rounds

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pearson (Boston, MA) in June 2010.

Interview

Did a phone interview. During the phone interview I was invited to come in for an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of meeting with several different people in the team I was to be joining (usually 1 or 2 people). At one point I sat down with the head of the group and was verbally quizzed on some very technical aspects of what approaches I would take to solve a particular problem. This was an informal test, but it was clearly a test.

After this I received a phone call about 2 or 3 days later with an initial offer. I countered, and received a second offer the same day. Accepted the second offer.

Interview Questions

• Discuss the features of an n-tier architecture for (a particular problem that I don't recall). What would belong at each tier?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The only thing I negotiated was salary. They were not able to come up to the figure I named without special authorization, but they came close and actually exceeded that amount when the bonus they offered was counted (the bonus, however, is based partly on company profit--so, I don't like to count this).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pearson (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2010.

Interview

Initially I was interviewed on Phone. Then was called for 3 onsite 1:1 interviews and they went through my Resume, and did expect my exp with mentioned technologies etc.