Pearson Reviews | Glassdoor

Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon

2,246 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Also when it is the peak season, it is really hard to keep a work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management is clueless of the day to day (in 93 reviews)

"Reorgville"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

good benefits and advancement opportunities

Cons

not the same without marjorie.

"Stepping stone jobs to get experience for a career elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working toward global education for all is noble work. Company tries to be green. Human Resources provides a lot of resource referrals to employees. Work/life balance is usually good. Company appears to contribute generously to charities and global conservation efforts. They also provide time off for employees to do volunteer work, which is unnecessary for those of us who already volunteer in our spare time, but may influence some employees to be more community-minded.

Cons

Salaries plus benefits do not keep up with cost of living increases in real life. Some years no raises or minimal raises were given to all employees. Company's focus on increasing corporate earnings and meeting corporate goals falls flat when employees' salaries are not competitive. Result: employees I've brought in have left within two years for better jobs elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Pearson occasionally does employee surveys in which they ask whether the employee would recommend Pearson to colleagues and family. When the answer is NO, survey does not ask the reason for employee's dissatisfaction. For me, it's because salary is not commensurate with work, and job title does not represent what I actually do. Also not covered on surveys: employees often lose earned vacation days. Company should allow days from previous year to be carried over for a few months into following year. I lost many earned vacation days one year when poor planning in another department resulted in a major, critical project falling in my lap near the end of the year. No time off allowed and much overtime work on my part led to successfully completion of project, but loss of work/life balance. One minor issue: being a green company fails when human resources regularly sends paper mail on expensive stock just to promote HR programs. Email is just as effective, is green, and saves $$.

3. "Great working experience"

Current Employee - Educational Consultant
    Current Employee - Educational Consultant

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, supportive team environment, strong leadership vision, excellent HR support for a remote/field services employee

Cons

larger organization 're-organized' every other year or so, this specific position required heavy travel and high requirements for on-site delivery work (80%)

"Was a great place to work, but now basically a grist mill"

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Edina, MN

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting work.
    Interesting people to work with.
    Good benefits.
    Good access to training resources.
    Flex time/remoting make it easier to manage work/life balance.
    Casual dress policy.

Cons

Soul-crushing management.
    Non-discriminatory drive to outsource everything in the company, even the "core" things that make Pearson what it is.
    Depending on the management you work for, you will either have a pleasant experience, or be constantly pressured by one deadline to the next.

Advice to Management

Key thing would be to recognize that not-all developers are replaceable by any other.
    Another thing would be to respect the talents of your staff (goes hand-in-hand with the first thing).
    Recognize your software _is_ your business, not something to be treated as an irritating but necessary expense to be outsourced.

"Sales Representaive"

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Flexibility, company meetings are engaging and fun, work remotely, always learning

Cons

Expected to be a customer service rep, sales rep, trouble shooter and tech support for Professors and students, marketing, etc all in one day.

Advice to Management

Hire on more support for each territory so that the sales reps have more time out in the field.

"Company may get my Heart, but my Head and Hands know it's time to move on."

Current Employee - Portfolio Management Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Management Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Individual group within Higher Education works really well together. A true work family.
    Flexibility with time off requests.
    401k matching up to 6% annually.

Cons

Entry level positions not given much opportunity for upward movement within company.
    Upper level management likes to keep you informed, but tends to say much without being specific about how or why they are making these decisions which directly affect their employees.

Advice to Management

Ask your assistants about their career desires (which direction do they want to go?). Help your assistants find ways to gain the skills needed to follow the path they are interested in.

8. "Morale continues to wane"

Current Employee - Learning Solutions Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Learning Solutions Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and immediate supervisors/managers.

Cons

High stress due to constant re-organizations and (lack of) job security

9. "Overall good company"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of great people at the company. Exciting new things happening. Flexible schedule. Company is great about people working remotely in many positions.

Cons

Recent internal changes have affected a lot of things in a negative way. Huge reorgs are never fun. Internal promotions have been really few and far between because of this. They aren't as open to hiring people internally from sales for marketing or product positions as they previously led me to believe. Base pay for Sales reps is really low.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your employees especially in regard to internal promotion opportunities.

"IT project manager"

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I left in 2014, until then Pearson has been a great company to work with.

Cons

After rounds and rounds of layoff, there are minimum number of people left for a given job. So, a lot of more overtime and stress.

Advice to Management

How about focus more on revenue growth, not just cost cutting?

"Formerly one of the top NYC metro companies to work for"

Former Employee - IT Manager
    Former Employee - IT Manager

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, lots of enthusiasm and energy, products and services to be proud of.

Cons

Constant re-orgs, outsourcing, severe staff slashes. Very stressful environment, constant pressure to meet goals with staff that is either apathetic, concerned for thier jobs, or consultant/staff that is constantly changing. Reviews from the Education community are an embarrassment. Has become a sad place.

Advice to Management

Focus on digital education.

Showing 2,246 of 2,421 reviews