Pearson Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon
Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge due to the pace of work and expectations placed on employees, in some areas of the organisation(in 66 reviews)

• "Wish I could say the same for upper management(in 128 reviews)

1. Business Analyst

• Overall

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

The culture at Pearson is the best I've worked in. The employees are collaborative, supportive, passionate about what they do, and I have yet to see someone's ego make an appearance. Pearson is dedicated to keeping their employees happy and progressing and it's working.

Cons

Change is constant and seems to be a difficult thing to implement smoothly and efficiently across all departments and locations.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orange, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything you want in a job. Benefits, great pay, training, great new direction, and amazing leadership.

Cons

Very large product line. If you are new to publishing it is a lot to learn. Everyone has told me to give it a year before I feel comfortable. Lots to learn but will be rewarding.

Advice to Management

There are so many training tools that it is somewhat overwhelming. Sometimes less is more.

3. Long Term Pearson Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

-The people are great -Freedom to own your work and expand your expertise in many areas -Great Benefits including generous vacation time -Good work life balance

Cons

-Multiple reorgs and layoffs have hit over the last 5 years, which creates consistent churn -Career path is vague in many areas -Pay is below what you will find in the market

Used to be a great company with a great mission. Used to be.

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

I think almost every Pearson employee will say that the people at this company are the most amazing people you will ever meet. Most take decidedly lower pay in support of a noble mission. Many, particularly those that have been around for awhile (and by Pearson standards, I am not one of them) only want to work together as a team to promote education around the globe. They are good people and the ONLY reason I gave 2...

Cons

- They're trying to outsource everything. Soon, the only actual Pearson employees will be salespeople and executives. Probably just the executives. Uses the excuse, "we're a global company". - Procurement has too much to say and they make TERRIBLE decisions at that. - Management used to support employees and hard work/loyalty was rewarded. The newest rash of execs that have been hired are just unpleasant, aggressive...

Advice to Management

Those in the corner offices should ask directors and below what is really happening on the ground before there is no one of any value left to do the work or fulfill the mission. And it's time to stop hiring savages from big, soulless corporations for your executive team. No one has confidence in them. They've ruined morale, make terrible decisions and don't inspire anyone. Every re-org results in one of them destroying...

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Pearson for more than 6 years

Pros

Good work life balance and ability to be promoted.

Cons

Layoffs and re-orgs have run this company too lean. No training what so ever. Sink or swim atmosphere.

squeezing the efficiency out of every dollar and reducing quality to get back on financial track

Former Employee - Editorial

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Has the benefits of a large organization, if you can get hired and stay hired

Cons

Constant reorganization means any job is iffy unless you are in the right network at the time. Migration of nearly all editorial quality and production tasks to low paid resources in other countries (with iffy politics and in particular oppress women.)

Advice to Management

Read and resolve to be your mission statement

Nice people

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

You can WFH and they are pretty flexible. They adopt new technology.

Cons

Slow growth. Low bonuses. It's hard to get a promotion.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Health benefits, not much else

Cons

Goals not received until sales cycle is over, absolutely terrible finance team and tracking/reporting of sales, micromanagement, constantly changing bonus structure, nepotism, tunnel vision of leadership

Advice to Management

Listen more, be more transparent, improve reporting and goal setting, be more proactive rather than reactive

9. Great Mission, Great Customers, Great Teammates!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Pearson is headed in the right direction under superb leadership at the highest levels. The content of the products, text books both print and electronic) are world class due to the effectively excellent work of authors, editors, and many community contributors. Technical teams make well-led and coordinated improvements all the time. Overall, Pearson has truly wonderful people to work with, both teammates and customers!

Cons

Pearson continues to work on internal systems.

Advice to Management

Please communicate more, even when not all the details are known. Working on a team that is not aware of the team's direction for months on end is very demotivating. Please read Multipliers! and implement Scrum!!!

A publishing/education company struggling to be a technology company

Current Employee - Software Developer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Few competitors and long contracts with customers

Cons

Not recruiting and retaining enough talent. Far too many people waiting to retire.

Advice to Management

Cut unproductive staff and bring in fresh talent. Stop outsourcing. You get what you pay for.

Found 3285 reviews