Rain Bird Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rain Bird (San Diego, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Went over highlights of all the projects I had worked on for the last 10 years or so. Interviewer's asked more detailed questions about work experience that pertained to their current project(s).

Interview Questions

• Can you describe in detail one of the projects that you worked on and your responsibilities?   Answer Question

Sr Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Tucson, AZ) in February 2009.

Interview

Long interview process and with many people. No specifics were asked about talent and skills. It seemed mostly the interest was around personality and corporate behavior. I was surprised to learn that the term "Lean" was of no interest to the company nor of "cost savings or optimization". It seemed to go in line with the reviews I find here at Glassdoor that development of new ideas or optimization is disregarded and instead it is management's direction and no other. I was also surprised to hear about the employee performance "ranking" evaluation method where a "lower performing" employee would seem to be "discarded" even though the ranking method would not define such an employee a bad performing one since they are not measured against company or department goals.
    I may be wrong, but after the many interviews (and I really mean many...) all seemed to follow the same pattern.

Interview Questions

• Would you have any issues with firing somebody?   6 Answers

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Tucson, AZ) in December 2011.

Interview

The interview process was a little unusual. Because the company is private nearly all of the information you might typically ask about various divisions, number of employees, etc. were either not answered or could not be answered by even senior management. Perhaps one of the most unusual things I learned was that at least 30% of their staff was "on notice" AT ALLL TIMES. They feel that this type of management is most effective. Furthermore, because of the secrecy, they embrace channel conflict and appear to do nothing to enpower synergies.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel if you were 100% of plan and put on notice?   4 Answers

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Cincinnati, OH) in June 2011.

Interview

Interviews consisted of hiring manager, national manager, and vice president. Rain Bird pays all expenses for the travel and tries to be considerate of those individuals who are currently working in another position although it becomes cumbersome to take multiple hours/ days away from your current position to go through the entire interview process.

Interview Questions

• If we were to ask you how you would grow sales by 50% immediately, what would your plan of action be?   1 Answer
    • What would be your action plan for the first six months in the position?   2 Answers

Was not a good fit at this time................

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rain Bird in July 2009.

Interview

I had a terrible interview process and was wondering how others felt about their experiences interviewing with this company. The hiring manager was too busy talking about himself to really attempt to understand my qualifications. I also felt there was no real team leadership culture at the company.

Interview Questions

• What in your educational background qualifies you for this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Azusa, CA

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Azusa, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Initial screening by the recruiter--phone interview with recruiter--phone interview with the hiring manager--1:1 with the hiring manager

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

Not a very involved process. I got the feeling they were more interested in my resume than in me.

Interview Questions

• One of my future peers asked me if I was really ready to step into such a negative culture.   3 Answers

Negotiation

Generous offer, not much negotiation.

Training and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Tucson, AZ) in April 2011.

Interview

Standard contact by email if I was interested, followed by two very thorough phone interviews. Questions were in-depth and focused. This was followed by them flying me to Tucson for a series of interviews which went fantastic, until the last one.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about the company policy of reducing employees by the lowest performing 10% annually?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Salinas, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with the hiring manager for about 30 minutes. Went fine. Then was asked to drive one hour to meet hiring manager in person at a restaurant. Met there for about 2 hours. Went fine. While at the restaurant, hiring manager said that another account manager would reach out to me by phone within a few days so that I could get a salesperson's perspective of the job. It took more than a week to actually speak to this person. Phone conversation went fine with him. After this conversation, they never reached out to me again. I left countless messages that were never returned. 4 weeks later they still have not bothered to actually contact me to say that they have chosen someone else. What a bunch of rude, arrogant, uncaring people. I am glad I was rejected! P.S. Since you couldn't be bothered, please consider this my written notice to you that I am officially withdrawing my application and consideration for employment with RainBird.

Interview Questions

• All they wanted to know was my experience closing business deals.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rain Bird.

Interview

Quick hiring process but many interviews. Had to interview with hiring manager, national manager, product managers and directors. Process was challenging due to the amount of interviews but it was a short process overall.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you for this position?   2 Answers

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird.

Interview

Two weeks after I applied on line received an email from internal recruiter, received a call from hiring manager within 2 days, traveled for interview within a week had offer the next week.

Interview Questions

• What is the most creative action you've ever taken to accomplish your job, why and what were the results.?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate salary but not vacation.