Social Security Administration Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Fort Wayne, IN) in April 2010.

Interview

Review the Vacancy Announce carefully for all the important detail you should consider in your application, interview is the same with the public sector as it is with the private sector preparing is key ingredient, number and type of interview depends on the agency, advice federal employers are looking to hire the best candidate for the job, on the job training is provided so match their needs as close as you can even if you substitute a skill that utilizes the same qualities, characteristic, knowledge, tasks and attitude for achieving the agency mission, the work culture in very friendly and co-worker are there to lend a helping hand when needed because team work goes a long way to achieving goals, agency size depends on budget but you are provided with the workspace and tools required to complete the task.

Interview Questions

• Where would you like to be in 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Federal agency is set as far as pay and benefits but some agency offer different kinds of benefits such as tution assistance or student loan repayment, relocation expense, use of public transportation for work, day care for child or adult, fitness center so look at what is being offer as a benefit and compensated with the salary and you usually come out ahead.

Attorney-Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I received an email stating that telephone interviews would be conducted on three days and asking me to select a time to interview. The interviewers were reading off a script and did not allow for much off of the script until the end when I was allowed to ask questions. I was then called about two weeks after the interview with the job offer and started around two weeks after that.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Offer was firm.

Law Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

Interview

The interview was a phone interview with one attorney and two HR people. The interviewers were relatively friendly. The questions were all being read from a standard form, and the attorney interviewer only followed up on one of my answers with his own question. Be prepared for some awkward silences because after answering a question, the interviewers silently take notes for up to a minute. Several of the questions seemed slightly repetitive, and several of the questions did not seem to relate much to the skills needed for the position. Most of the questions were behavioral. The interview lasted for approximately a half hour, which included a description of the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to talk about a time when I had difficulty working with a superior.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Euclid, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Euclid, OH).

Interview

My first encounter with SSA was at a college job fair about 3 months from graduation. The lady there was dressed to the nines and seemed a little snobby. I later found out she was a manager. Haha. She had a poker face and seemed uninterested taking everyone's resume. I thought I wouldn't hear from them.

I received an email a couple weeks later that directed me to their web testing site. I took a damn long 2 or more hour long personality assessment test that keeps on asking the same Q's till it gets your true feelings... can't be a faker on that test.

A couple weeks later, I went in for a panel interview and the snobby lady was there again, this time she seemed nice but tough. There were 5 or 6 managers and experts present. First each asked a question, then I was given an complex law with many points and about 3 minutes to digest it, then I was asked to apply that to a scenario and another 4-5 grilling questions. I felt good about it but wasn't perfect.

Maybe a month later, as another employer had interest in me, I was called for an interview at a semi local office with what turned out to be the Regional hiring manager and the branch manager. It was maybe 30 minutes long. 4-5 questions more on how I handle stress and the public...also on personality.

Next, a couple weeks later, I had to drive an hour away to what turned out being my field office where I was informally interviewed by what was to be my Manager. She asked Q's more on personality and after she took me to get fingerprinted.

Almost 3 months passed and I was already working as an assistant manager in training at Target and he Regional manager called to ask if I was still interested and if so, I report to training in 2 weeks.

I accepted. As a scholar, with a b.a. in politics sci, I was a GS-7 and went thru long and complicated training class via satellite from Atlanta then toughed it out to GS- 11 step 3 before resigning due to the immense stress.

Interview Questions

• How I would handle a difficult situation.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Harrison, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Harrison, AR) in June 2018.

Interview

Interview went well, it was a meet and greet panel, don't think that is actually what it is called. Interview panel was made up of 4 people from the office. Asked me questions of times I had a lot to do, what I did to stay on track and outcome, how I dealt with difficult people and outcome....etc. Then hypothetical questions regarding work I might be presented with on the job. Decent questions, not overly hard, just listen and reason through them.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had more to get done than seemed like you could accomplish. What actions did you take to get the work done? What was the outcome?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Geneva, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Had to travel a bit for an open interview spot. Scenario questions. This is more task based than one on one client contact, so point out those experiences. Much more laid back than I expected. Interview lasted about 2 hours, and was around 10-15 questions, followed by a reading of what social security is, then repeating it without seeing the definition.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were asked to do more than you could accomplish? Did you question this? What did you do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for job, contacted the HR regarding status. Was not contacted until 4 months after closing date. Did over the phone interview basic questions nothing difficult. A panel of five did a round robin of asking questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell about yourself? What are your customer service skills? If I were to ask your current boss what your greatest strength is, what would he or she tell me? Describe a crisis you faced at work. What was your role? How did you resolve it? What were the results? Describe your overall decisions making process with limited details and or facts?   Answer Question

Social Insurance Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2015.

Interview

The interview was a panel interview. I was very confident. My energy level was sky high. My interviewers energy level was much lower. I am not sure how I was rated. However, I was very confident.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Antonio, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

A group of managers conduct behavior based interviews. They're not too creative. You can google behavior based interviews to find the questions to prepare. As long as you give examples of how you worked well in a team, can take constructive criticism, ignore negative criticism and are able to research things you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you received criticism and how you responded to it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Clifton, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position 12/2014. Called back for an interview 02/2015. Finger printed the same day. Interview process lasted about an hour and a half. Interviewed by two individuals. Documents were referred to hiring officials, but not selected at the time. No explanation provided for non selection.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a stressful time in your life, and how did you deal with it.   Answer Question