Sylvan Learning Centers Math Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sylvan Learning Centers Math Tutor Interview Questions

Interviews at Sylvan Learning Centers

1.3

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Grand Rapids, MI) in June 2010.

Interview

I emailed my resume in after calling to get the hiring managers email. I got a call about 2 weeks later that turned into an informal phone interview and then was asked to come in for a 1:1 interview. Interview was fairly informal, asked some behavioral and competency questions. Then she gave me the payscale I would start at, offered me a job, and had me shadow another teacher for an hour.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate students?   1 Answer
  • What levels of math would you feel comfortable teaching?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate. They gave a set pay scale and since it was a temporary job I accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online and after a few days received a phone call back and scheduled an interview within the same week. I went in and first took the proficiency test for any subject I wanted to be able to tutor in (which is openly expected of all that apply). Then, the one-on-one interview began. I cannot remember whether I was given an offer that day or a few days later.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. Walked into the building without an application and asked if there were any part time positions available. They asked me about my educational background, and then told me to come interview with them the next day. Interview is easy. I have almost no prior teaching experience and no certification but I am pretty experienced in college math because of my degree, and that is what they're looking for.

The interviewer was very friendly and just wanted to know my personality. As long as you show enthusiasm that you want to teach and make a difference in peoples' lives, you should have no problems. It was a very easy interview.

Only drawback is a ton of paperwork to do after the interview if you're offered the job and takes at roughly 45 minutes to complete.