Sylvan Learning Centers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

Sort:

Center Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Miami, FL).

Interview

I knew someone that was working as a tutor already and recommend me for the position. The interview was very informal. I had to reschedule a few times because of car trouble and the directors had no problem with it.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really incredibly difficult. Standard interview questions. Interviews were rather short.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Long Beach, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews with both the District Manager for nine centers as well as the Franchisee owner. I also met with another Center Director for an interview to get her opinion and I also had to take an on-line personality test which they had just re-implemented as a best practice. I didn't do well on it but they still hired me anyways.

Interview Questions

• What experience did I have with Marketing?
      What was my customer service attitude?
      Was I a driven person and would I be comfortable with sales goals and forecasts?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

Easy interviews and process. Phone interview, director interview, and CEO interview. All asked same general questions. Took a personality quiz. Offered position quickly. Mainly wanted to know experience. Waited on background check to begin. Offer on phone did not reflect requirements on the job.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Dallas, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

Phone screening with a few individuals and in person interview with one. Went to a center for interview and asked many questions about my ability to handle workload, personality questions and given expectations of hours to be worked. I was told I would hear back from them if selected and then I received a call and offer letter.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Austin, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview, then in person with franchisee, then a final interview with 2 other candidates in a format where we had to brainstorm a scenario, then individually present our strategy.

Interview Questions

• Questions were focused on client relations, handling difficult students, managing budgets and spending for PR.   Answer Question

Center Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

1st contact : Phone interview (briefly explain my background and experience)
    2nd contact: Face-to-face interview (informal chatting about my background and experience)
    Then waiting for feedback. Finally got a call from one of the interviewer that they have proceeded with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Past relevant work experience.
      What were the most and least enjoyable job in my work history.
      Why apply to Sylvan   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Greensburg, PA) in June 2010.

Interview

In-person interview. Standard Question and Answer. Many questions and discussion about education and topics concerning current laws, initiatives, etc. Be prepared. Sylvan Centers are franchised and many owners are former school district superintendents, teachers, business executives. It is a fairly formal, traditional interview, usually with just the owner. Business or a dressier business casual attire would be appropriate.

Interview Questions

• Questions about the details of education legislation.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Charlottesville, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

I am writing this review six months later and providing a very high level of detail, not out of frustration, but as it is important to understand that these businesses are franchised operations. As you read, your experience may vary. This detail of the experience is helpful to understand what may happen due to considerably varied management.

The process began in February after my resume was received, and followed up with a call to someone with the same position. Since things sounded promising, I moved onto a phone interview. The interview went extremely poorly, due to the fact that the prospective employer missed the call. They then decided to contact me two hours later, blaming the staffing situation and some reports. I was then in the middle of dinner, but set a time an hour later to talk.

This step actually turned into a "so, what do you want to know about the job" chat. I felt like I was talking with an old roommate from college rather than a future leader of the company. However, the position specifically met my needs for what I was interested in, so I secured a next step, which was an in-person interview.

The in-person interview was at the beginning of March and started late as well. This seemed to be due to some parents in this individual's office, which was a reasonable cause. The interview lasted approximately 45 minutes, which was discussion based around my plans for growing the business. I was comfortable with my approach. I learned that there was one other candidate and that I would learn within the week where I stood. Following this, I was asked for references. My response: creatively give a 1-page business plan with my three references at the bottom.

A few days later, I received an email:

"Hi ****************, Thank you so much for your time yesterday and for your follow up email. I have attached a sample offer letter so that you can see the bonus structure. Please review it and call me so we can discuss changes. I would love to have you as part of our Sylvan team."

<attachment>

The following Monday:

"**************,
    I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I had a few extra things happen on Friday. I have tried to get you the insurance info. but have not heard back from our rep. yet. Also I should let you know that I had an interview on Friday in <nearby city>, and therefore assumed the person was interested in that position. The candidate was actually applying for <city I applied in>. They are a very strong candidate, as are you. I will try to make my decision quickly. I will also continue to try to get you the info you requested. Have a good week."

This came off as highly unprofessional. I asked for a verbal explanation and I got a firm commitment that I would have a decision either way the next day. The next morning, I had the opportunity to even review the location's budget as it allowed me to dig into the finances and expectations as the metrics were highly based on sales and contribution margin of the unit. It was very insightful, and led me to believe I was still in a strong position.

Four hours later, an email:
    "*********,
    I would like to thank you for all of your time and enthusiasm. I have thought long and hard and truly have stressed over my decision. But need to tell you that I have chosen the other candidate to fill the <city> position. I do hope our paths cross again as I think you would make a great team mate. I wish you all the best
    *********."

In June, I received a message from this individual:
    "I am sure you are not that happy with me --but I thought this was worth a shot. I am sorry about the way things went--and as it turns out I made a bad decision and the person I hired over you did not stay. I am writing to see if by any chance you were still interested. I understand if you want to go in a different direction. thank you for your time"

This truly restored my faith in the process, which led me to meeting in person and discussing the opportunity in detail. After much progress was made, the next day, the final straw hit:
    "***********,
    I am getting back to you as promised. I really need another round of interviews for this position. I would like to know if you are available next Wednesday for a interview in <city> I would like for you to meet with *****. Please let know if you have any questions about the position. Also, please find attached an official job description."

At this point, I became convinced that this process was being created along the way. I decided to gracefully withdraw from consideration, since it was not an organization I could continue to entrust my future with. I hope this helps you in evaluating your experience.

Interview Questions

• This a complicated question to answer. I think that given the experience, the most difficult question to address was how to withdraw from the recruiting process without being irrational or unprofessional. It was an important learning experience.   1 Answer

This is hard to define, since I was provided a written offer, which was withdrawn. I was then called back into the center as the only candidate, only to find out that they continued to begin interviews after having me "think over if I would like to accept the opportunity" for the second time

Client Services Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

It was done over the phone in approx. half an hour. The atmosphere was relaxed and the interviewer was very easy to speak to and was impressed with my phone voice as this position required mostly phone experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your previous experience in assisting clients over the telephone with difficult issues?   1 Answer

Senior Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Baltimore, MD) in June 2012.

Interview

Submited online got an interview in a week. Phone interview then formal interview. Met with three different people and CEO. They really cared about who they were hiring. Then took a tour around the building.