Sylvan Learning Centers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sylvan Learning Centers Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

2.3

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

I interviewed via phone and Facetime, there was also some back and forth via email and messaging. We met in person a few times as well. It was comfortable and as expected.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

Had a phone interview for a position in the Los Angeles area. I had submitted an application online. They sent an email asking me to call and give times I was available for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to work for $12.50 an hour, and keep 3 weekday afternoons and one weekend morning free (even if we have no students for you, you would have to keep it free)?   1 Answer

Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2017.

Interview

Received a phone call to set up a time for a face time interview-- was suppose to be about 45 minutes to an hour of your time.
    I asked how they get students to stay in the program for more than 6-8 weeks and the interviewer wasn't sure how to answer the question.
    Be aware they only offer 10 paid days off-- that includes sick and vacation time. Schedule varies- you are always working either a Friday or Saturday so kiss long weekend trips goodbye

Their process includes the Facetime/Skype interivew- 2nd interview live in person-- 3rd interview for offer

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Sylvan and how they help the community?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?   Answer Question
    • What type of experience do you have greeting customers and interacting with them?   Answer Question

Instructor's Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ellicott City, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Ellicott City, MD).

Interview

I applied online and a couple days later, received an email to come in for an interview. The day of the interview, I filled out some paperwork and met with the Director of Education and was asked a series of questions. The interview questions were all fairly easy to answer. After the interview, I was given a tour of the center. A couple days later, I received a phone call that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• In what ways do you think the Learning Center could benefit from your skills?   Answer Question

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

Sent my resume to an ad on Craigslist, set an interview time over email. Interviewed and was hired on the spot. They just asked typical teacher questions. How would you deal with this type of student, etc. they also explained how the training worked and asked me about my teaching experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do for a student who wasn't focused?   1 Answer

Client Services Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

It was done over the phone in approx. half an hour. The atmosphere was relaxed and the interviewer was very easy to speak to and was impressed with my phone voice as this position required mostly phone experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your previous experience in assisting clients over the telephone with difficult issues?   1 Answer

Math Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. Walked into the building without an application and asked if there were any part time positions available. They asked me about my educational background, and then told me to come interview with them the next day. Interview is easy. I have almost no prior teaching experience and no certification but I am pretty experienced in college math because of my degree, and that is what they're looking for.

The interviewer was very friendly and just wanted to know my personality. As long as you show enthusiasm that you want to teach and make a difference in peoples' lives, you should have no problems. It was a very easy interview.

Only drawback is a ton of paperwork to do after the interview if you're offered the job and takes at roughly 45 minutes to complete.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Portsmouth, NH) in July 2016.

Interview

The person who interviewed was very warm and friendly. Just a few straight forward questions and nothing about the subject matter. I didn't feel the heat of the interview till the last moment. Although I didn't get the job, it was a pleasant experience.

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

It was a standard process. They called me in for an interview. We went over my resume, background in teaching, and years of experience in different content areas. I explained why I was looking for part-time work. I was able to ask a lot of questions. I remember asking about the student population, opportunities for more hours and promotions, available technology, and the staff. My questions were all answered. I felt like I got to know the organization very well during the interview.

Tutor Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Jersey City, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was short, to the point, amicable and easy. The interviewer told me a great deal about their goals, focus and culture. She mentioned the requirements and expectation very clearly. I was told about the background check (expect that with any job involving kids, especially). I got a call back the next day and they helped with the internal certification on their training system (paid).